Marcos in Marseille-Open 13 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Marcos in Marseille-Open 13

kindablue
02-10-2007, 01:49 PM
As most of you will remember, this is where Marcos went from hero to zero
after losing to Ancic in the first round. (Everybody expected him to do better
after the A.O. final!) I 'm sure he can and will do much better this year!
This is the main draw:

(1)DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS vs SODERLING, Robin SWE
QUALIFIER vs JOHANSSON, Thomas SWE
MONFILS, Gael FRA vs GICQUEL, Marc FRA
HERNYCH, Jan CZE vs (6)GASQUET, Richard FRA

(3)ANCIC, Mario CRO vs SEPPI, Andreas ITA
BRACCIALI, Daniele ITA vs BJORKMAN, Jonas SWE
SIMON, Gilles FRA vs QUALIFIER
(wc)LLODRA, Michael FRA vs (8)HEWITT, Lleyton AUS

(7)BAGHDATIS, Marcos CYP vs TIPSAREVIC, Janko SRB
(wc)GUEZ, David FRA vs QUALIFIER
VERDASCO, Fernando ESP vs SANTORO, Fabrice FRA
YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS vs (4)DJOKOVIC, Novak SRB

(5)FERRER, David ESP vs CLEMENT, Arnaud FRA
SERRA, Florent FRA vs (wc)BENNETEAU, Julien FRA
NIEMINEN, Jarkko FIN vs GROSJEAN, Sebastien FRA
QUALIFIER vs (2)LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO

Dimitra
02-10-2007, 02:24 PM
the field is great!:eek: But the draw sucks for Marko!::mad: :sobbing:

It's gonna be very tough but you can do it!:yeah:

Pame Marko!:armed: :p

sdimitri
02-12-2007, 06:35 AM
Lets wish Marco for a good game!
I am sure he can do well.
Pame Marco!!!

H_E_L_L_A_S
02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
CMONMarco

sdimitri
02-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Marcos is playing today at about 7p.m Marseille time (GT +1).
Pame Marcos!

PamposCypriot
02-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Marcos won 6-3 6-4... Nothing special from Marcos tonight... Improved first service but the usual i-net-2-of-my-3-shots-in-every-game :p

Choupi
02-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes, he played a good match. I was definitely relieved concerning his serve. He said, after the match, that he was happy today because he was through, 1st round matches are never easy because all players play well. He also was happy because he played a good match and because he had some fun on the court, which he considers being very important, if not essential. He added he had a little pressure whenever he was playing in France or a Frenchie. :)

sdimitri
02-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Bravo to Marcos.
In every game he gets better and makes less mistakes.
Wish him to play well in the next round.
Pame Marco!

2moretogo
02-14-2007, 05:58 AM
He looked good today. Has he been hitting the gym, cuz he looks a lot fitter.

Abnaxus
02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
230Km/h serve for Marcos!!!. Is that a record for him?
I've never seen him hit that kind of serves before
BRAVO MARCOS

kindablue
02-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Up next is Saulnier tomorrow!
Its a tricky match, not as easy as it looks!

sdimitri
02-15-2007, 06:22 AM
Marcos is playing tonight.
Every game is different and ofcourse difficult.
If Marcos plays well, has good first serve he will have no problem
winning.
Pame Marco!

PamposCypriot
02-15-2007, 03:32 PM
It will be live from Rik2... I think you can watch RIK2 via stream... not to sure although

delsa
02-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Well done Marcos! He's really a nice bloke. Loved his post-match interview today! :yeah:

Choupi
02-15-2007, 09:58 PM
He plays Youzhny in the QFs. Allez!!

sdimitri
02-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Bravo again for Marcos!
He played good and make few mistakes.
Lets hope he will play very good tonight against Youzhny.
Pame Marco!

H_E_L_L_A_S
02-16-2007, 09:25 AM
tha ton gamisi tov youzny

christos
02-16-2007, 02:06 PM
tha ton gamisi tov youzny

xaxaxa, to elpizw!

Choupi
02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Marcos won 2-6 7-6 7-5!! :banana: He'll play Nieminen tomorrow.

Dimitra
02-16-2007, 09:03 PM
yes!!:yeah: Go Marko!!!!:bounce:

christos
02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
:worship:

thelma
02-16-2007, 11:56 PM
:D :bounce:

Choupi
02-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Here's what Marcos said yesterday, right after his match. From the site of the tournament:

How do you analyze this QF?

I've been a bit lucky to win it today. Mikael really was the boss, I've defended a lot, I gave all I could give. It wasn't easy. I just couldn't find the solution to win, It was frustrating. And on top of that, I also was making some little errors.
I had to struggle to reach the tiebreak in the 2nd set, in which I play very well, I make 2 totally incredible passing shots. And then, the 3rd set has just been exceptional. At first, I lose a bit of my pace, and he doesn't miss any ball, he serves, he's aggressive, it's like a machine. But I manage to break him for the 1st time, and at the end, he broke down a bit. I've been a bit lucky to win today.

The smile that you have on your face, under all circumstances, during the match, that's some evidence that you're relax, but isn't it a way also, to have your opponent lose focus?

Well, that's the way I am. That proves I'm ok. I don't know if that can make my opponent lose his focus, anyway, I don't do it on that purpose. I can do whatever I feel like between points, that's the way I am, I like it to push myself, to motivate myself, to pull funny faces at me......(laughs)

What did you think of the mood? Do you feel you've been adopted by Marseille?

Yeah!! That's really nice. A totally crazy atmosphere. The crowd helped me a lot.

http://www.open13.org/infos-jour-81.html

Action Jackson
02-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the translation of the interview and a very tough match against Nieminen today. However wins go and win the title.

Choupi
02-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Of course, I've forgotten to say that I have translated Marcos's words!! :)

Yes, I hope that he gets through and wins the last battle.

Choupi
02-17-2007, 03:17 PM
2nd final in a row. :woohoo: He defeated Nieminen 3-6 6-3 6-2. He obviously had a lot of fun today, playing his tennis. With the crowd behind him. That was nice to see the friendly handshake and how Marcos applauded, together with the crowd, when Jarkko left the court. Great match!! Good luck for tomorrow.

linus
02-17-2007, 04:31 PM
OMG, Marcos :hatoff:

linus
02-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Here's what Marcos said yesterday, right after his match. From the site of the tournament:
thanks a lot :hug:

The smile that you have on your face, under all circumstances, during the match, that's some evidence that you're relax, but isn't it a way also, to have your opponent lose focus?

Well, that's the way I am. That proves I'm ok. I don't know if that can make my opponent lose his focus, anyway, I don't do it on that purpose. I can do whatever I feel like between points, that's the way I am, I like it to push myself, to motivate myself, to pull funny faces at me......(laughs)
I love his smile, it never makes me lose focus on court, at least :lol: instead, it attracts me more to cheer for him.

tho indeed I saw Marcos in a mood of without any appearance once in life :devil: :lol:

Dimitra
02-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Of course, I've forgotten to say that I have translated Marcos's words!! :)

Yes, I hope that he gets through and wins the last battle.

thanx for the translation Choupi!:yeah:

Bravo Marko!:woohoo: Now go on and win the title :bounce: and this time the crowd will be against him but that doesn't seem to affect him.

delsa
02-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Good luck for the final Marcos! :yeah: He seems to really enjoy himself in that Marseille tourny!! Great to see!! :)

Choupi
02-17-2007, 06:39 PM
thanx for the translation Choupi!:yeah:

Bravo Marko!:woohoo: Now go on and win the title :bounce: and this time the crowd will be against him but that doesn't seem to affect him.
You're welcome. :)

As for the crowd, it will be shared. They love Marcos there. Even if he's playing a Frenchie, a part will cheer him on. And he makes the show, so they won't be too bad with him. Don't worry. :)

Choupi
02-17-2007, 08:34 PM
My translation of the after match interview (from the site of the event):

Marcos, you had to be in great shape today to beat Nieminen?
Yes, Jarkko's a very solid player. I had to fight, really, again...I know he likes it to be aggressed, so I let him come and it just paid.

And, is that a tactic to lose the 1st set? (laughs)
No, but yes, it's true that I've had some trouble entering the match, I was pretty tired after my QF. Yesterday, I went to bed pretty late, and waking up this morning hasn't been easy. When I got up, I told myself that it was gonna be hard today. But at the end of the 1st set, I felt I was better physically, my legs were back. All the great work I've done with my physio has been all benefit.

You're a bit in very peculiar game conditions here...
Yes, it's a bit like home here. The crowd of Marseille is great, that helps. I feel good here. Each time I enter the court, I really get the feeling.

With all these victories, you must be feeling confident, but all those matches in a row, don't they risk to affect you physically?
Indeed, that makes it to 9 victories now, so, at the moment, the self confidence is good. When it comes to the physical aspect, well, I don't think that fatigue will influence things a lot tomorrow. I feel good and I have more time than yesterday to recover.

Talking about tomorrow, precisely, will you content yourself with the final?
Well, it's not that bad. Of course, I feel like winning and I will do all I can for that, but you have to accept what you got in life. There are worse things in life than losing a tennis match. I'm a cool guy and I'm happy with my life. If I don't win, it won't be a shame. I will keep on smiling.

Last question. Which opponent would you like to face tomorrow in the final: Robin Söderling, who's a bit like a "machine", or Gilles Simon?
Yes indeed. Söderling plays very well at the moment. But, there are times when the machine breaks, no? And even if I don't prefer playing against Gilles, I wish him to win today and be in the final. I know him well, he's a very nice guy and this would really be a good thing for him.

http://www.open13.org/infos-jour-83.html#debutcontenu

H_E_L_L_A_S
02-18-2007, 09:36 AM
MArcos stright sets i hope, 6-2 6-4

Action Jackson
02-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the translation again and as long as Marcos doesn't give Simon too much pace or rhythm, then he should be able to win his 2nd event of the year.

Hrastar
02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
When Marcos comes as far as he is now, he does everything to finish it well.

ELLA MARCOS :worship:

delsa
02-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Very nice run anyway Marcos! :yeah:

Now, the confidence and the will to play are definitely back. :) Too bad though. A second consecutive title would have been very nice.

Alonsofz
02-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice tournament for Marcos... Congratulations for reaching final! :yeah:

delsa
02-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the translations Choupi because the guys translating on the Open 13 website seem to be far more at ease with Spanish than English... Their translations don't make much sense sometimes...:tape:

Apparently (source : audio interview of Gillou before the final), Marcos used to train in Montreuil, where his (Gilles) parents live and where he played younger and they've known each other since they're 12/13... :) I'm really sad for Marcos ( :hysteric: ) but thanks God he didn't lose to someone else because it would have been worse...

The pre-final article seems to confirm it (i corrected the text's grammar a bit :o).

Great final expected!

2007 Open 13's final is giving us a nice meeting between the 2 players who made the show this week!

Marcos Baghdatis, 21 years old, N°17 ATP and finalist in Australia 2006 is probably the favourite of the Marseille's public because of his enthusiasm, good mood and spectacular racket shots. His quarter-final against Youzhny will remain as one of the best game of the Open 13's history. To reach the final, the Cypriot successively won against Croatian Janko Tipsarevic, French Cyril Saulnier, Russian Mikhail Youzhny and Fin Jarkko Nieminen. Baghdatis has a current serie of 9 victories in a row in indoor as he won in Zagreb last week.

For his part, Gilles Simon will remain as the revelation of the tournament. The young Frenchman will play his second final-career after his defeat in Valencia. He beat hte Dutch Huta Galung, the former world N°1 Lleyton Hewitt and the Swedes Jonas Bjorkman and Robin Söderling against whom he played a very good game.

Both players know each other and are strongly motivated to win the title. The final might be spectacular. During their only opposition, Simon won... but both had only 13 years old!

http://www.open13.org/infos-jour-88.html#debutcontenu

delsa
02-18-2007, 07:22 PM
My attempt at a translation of his post-final interview...

http://www.open13.org/infos-jour-91.html

Marcos Baghdatis missed "that little thing"...

Marcos, you say yourself that there are things far more serious in life but still, that's a pity to lose in final, isn't it?
Yes, of course. I'm obviously disappointed but, well, you must accept it.

What did you miss today to succeed?
The attitude! I missed fighting spirit, a good state of mind on the important points, while Gilles had it... On those crucial points, i didn't really fight as much as i could, i didn't have the same spirit, the same will, as yesterday and that's what made the difference. I also had a lot of opportunities on his serve that i didn't manage to seize. He did seize his. That "little thing" that makes you win came later in the match, at 5-3 in the 2nd, when i rebroke. Then in the tie-break when i won the 1st point which was very important but i didn't manage to win a point on my service games then, and my first serve was off. And finally, it's simple, he played better than i did.

Where you tired physically?
No, i felt good physically, the fatigue was rather mental.

Did you have too much pressure on your shoulders?
Au contraire, maybe not enough...

All in all, how do you feel about this last week?
I'm happy about my run in the tournament. Now i'm going to rest a little and then i'll go to Dubai. But everything's ok, i'm happy in my life, i spent a very nice week here. I feel like training, playing again.

Last question. What did you said to Gilles after the final?
I told him he deserved this victory and i congratulated him on his week because he beat some very good players. I also said to him that he should enjoy this moment and party like crazy tonight... [laughs]

:inlove:

Choupi
02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks Delsa. You beat me to it. I had just done the translation for my site. :)

sdimitri
02-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Bravo Marcos for going to the final!
It doesn´t matter if he lost, it was a bad game for him but Simon played well and he wanted the title more tham Marcos!