Who will wrest from Fed #1 spot? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who will wrest from Fed #1 spot?

Frufru
02-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Ok, couldn't find thread like that.
Who is going to depose Fed as #1 in the future?

There was one why and when will #1 spot change hands, but who is going to be the man? I think it will be a player at his peak in 2,3 or 4 years time from now, when Roger is going to start coping with ageing body. I dont think people like Hewitt, Blake or Nalbandian have a chance due to their age. I like Gonzo, but no, for the same reason. Nadal's body (probably his butt) will fall apart so I didnt vote for him. I think the guy who's gonna do it it will be up-and-coming player like Murray, Djokovic or Berdych. I am more inclined to vote for Murray but I like Djokovic's attitude :devil: so I voted for him. What do you guys think?

Howard
02-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Obviously, the young guns have the best chance. Safin and Roddick aren’t going to get better. Safin has the talent but not the drive. Roddick has the drive but not the talent.

A few months ago I’d have said Nadal easily, but he’s shown some glaring shortcomings (which have been discussed to death here) that numerous opponents have been able to exploit.

Of the remainder on the list, I’d pick Berdych because, IMO, he has the most natural talent. Hopefully, his head and heart will soon catch up with his ability.

Federer&Hingis
02-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Gasquet

jazar
02-10-2007, 02:57 PM
donald young

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-10-2007, 03:01 PM
donald young
Close call, but maybe Oscar Hernadez?

jazar
02-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Close call, but maybe Oscar Hernadez?

it'll definitely be one of the two

Xristos
02-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Chris Spirop, no?

DrJules
02-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Nadal.

Still more likely than anybody else.

Preston
02-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I have to go with either Berdych or Djokovic. Both are VERY talented YOUNG up and comer's who will only get stronger barring major injury. And I actually feel that these two will both be multiple Slam winners by the end of their career's. I didn't select Nadal, because I feel that though he's young, he's peaking early. While I feel that the two I mentioned above will improve an even greater deal (than Nadal) over time.

joeb_uk
02-10-2007, 04:12 PM
To be honest, I don't think anyone will, unless he plays on for too long. I could see Fed staying there until he retires. He doesn't strike me as the player to carry on, when he is physically shot and no longer in top shape (but who knows).

Klaas_nalbandian
02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Thiemo de Bakker will :) but more seriously all those players are great but safin isn't consistent enough imo but the youngsters will have to prove it if they are capable of reaching the no.1 place

FluffyYellowBall
02-10-2007, 07:07 PM
id say berdych or gasquet but still it depeds on nadal in the coming years. I really dont think he will continue to slip.
The problem is the distance between federer, then nadal, then the rest of players. Nadal isnt playing like a world number 2 should be but hes closer to reaching his peak. Berdych, gasquet and the rest of the young guns are definately playing better right now but i dont think ive ever seen a young plaer continue to rise flawlessy to the number one spot. The difference is nadal has reached his highs and lows while the others havent and thats not a negative thing

Clara Bow
02-10-2007, 07:15 PM
I think that it will be Murray or possibly Djokovic. Gasquest has the talent but is a little....unable to realize it. Berdych is awesome when he is in form- but as one of the older young ones still has not been able to get rid of the cold patches with brain farts. Baghdatis has a beautiful game- but imo can not deal with success. I don't think Nadal will reach number one and I don't think Andy Roddick will rereach it. Not as a slam- but between Feds and the talented youngins they are unfortunate in terms of timing. Djokovic does not impress me game wise as much of the others (although he is very gifted) but I love his spirit and think that could count for a ton. But I really think that Andy is the smartest player of the young ones with a ton of variety and I really look forward to watching his carrer. If he quits becoming Mayor of Mope Village at times- he will be able to do a lot. Although it that does happen I will miss what you Brits refer to as Kevin the Teenager moments. ;)

I don't think that he will reach number one after Feds- but I do hope that JMDP reaches number one and becomes iirc the first Argentine #1. That would be nice after Vilas was essentially scewed over by the points system back in the day.

dorkino
02-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Hard to tell . I guess this is not gonna happen recently and imho it also depends on the timing.

So apart from J'torian who apparently seems determined to fight for it , From the older generations , i guess Gonzo can get a chance if he manages to keep his level constant and from the younger generations : :scratch:

Murray seems qualified talent wise though he's not yet in it mental or physical wise. I am far from being a fan of any of them but Berdych and Djokovic may be qualified regardless of the eventual drop in their games and thinking . Nadal can manage to do it if he manages to keep some distance between him and the other guys but still i don't think he has got the biggest chance here. At least Not until he finds some big answers.

Any how i guess after Fed. the number one ranking may be rolling faster between players regarding their close levels ,but who knows what'll happen.

guga2120
02-10-2007, 08:28 PM
If Nadal could stay healthy certainly him, but this seems to be a huge problem for him. He has something wrong new every week. With his game he has to be 100%.

Jimnik
02-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Bernard Tomic

Halba
02-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Hmmm who will be the next no.1 after Federer- in my opinion it'll be another 4-5years/after his retirement???

So in my opinion it has to be someone about 17-18 years old who will be 22 or 23 and at their physical/mental/talent peak.

Del potro

Murray

Donald Young

Bernard Tomic

Marcos Baghdatis

could be likely contenders

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-10-2007, 11:49 PM
i hope donald young is a joke.

El Legenda
02-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Safin? :haha: roddick :haha:

2moretogo
02-11-2007, 12:38 AM
In true MTF tradition, I voted Safin. Isn't there a law saying he can't lose a poll on MTF? So that is my reasoning/justification.

On a serious note, of Federer continues this form, he'll be #1 even after he retires. So in that case the does the next #1 get to say that they wrested it from him?

SaltoKlose
02-11-2007, 12:42 AM
The best chance is Nadal.

But he has to do a Thomas Muster to reach number 1 but also hope Federer has a bad year, that he can't defend all his points.

Frufru
09-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I just remembered a thread of whos gonna be future number one. Things changed a lot since then but I am pleased to be able to say that I voted for Djokovic then. In my opinion Nadal' s propensity of getting injured and inability to solve HC ever, makes him taking number one position increasingly unlikely.

FilipeMB
09-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Novak

RagingLamb
09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
most World number 1's and greats that I can recall have been somewhere between 5' 11" and 6' 1". Sampras and Federer are both 6' 1", so are Nadal and Gasquet. Djokovic is 6' 2".

I know it's probably got nothing to do with it, but I'm going with this trend. I think somehow, this range provides the perfect height in tennis.

hra87
09-09-2007, 06:20 PM
In order of preference:

Nadal
Gasquet
Baghdatis
Murray
Berdych
Del Potro
Djokovic

I don't consider Safin and Roddick serious choices, though I'd LOVE if it'd be Safin.

Rogiman
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
4 posters voted for Safin! :haha: :retard:

hra87
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
most World number 1's and greats that I can recall have been somewhere between 5' 11" and 6' 1". Sampras and Federer are both 6' 1", so are Nadal and Gasquet. Djokovic is 6' 2".

I know it's probably got nothing to do with it, but I'm going with this trend. I think somehow, this range provides the perfect height in tennis.

I think 6'1" (1.85 specifically) is the perfect tennis height, and you're right about the sizes, those do seem to be the best, depending on style of play. I've noticed there are very few 6'0" players, and quite a few at 5'11" and 6'1". I suspect the former is good for grinders and the latter for all court players. Weird though that there aren't too many inbetween.

Anyway, lendl was 1.87, only one cm shorter than djokovic. Both were tall but they move very well. So was Edberg.

Kuerton and Becker were 6'3"

Adler
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
The poll looks funny right now, but I'm not dissing the author - it just shows how many things changed this year, how many hopes hasn't been fulfilled, how many surprises were made

qczi
09-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Xristos

who else :scratch:

DrJules
09-09-2007, 07:28 PM

Actually each generation grows taller which reflects general population height increases.

DrJules
09-09-2007, 07:31 PM
In short term Nadal because he has the points in the computer with possible challenge between now and March 2008. In long term Djokovic.

RagingLamb
09-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Actually each generation grows taller which reflects general population height increases.

Yes I understand that the population gets taller with each generation. But my point was that there seems to be a height range which seems to fit this sport best. And to me it's between 5' 11" and 6' 11" or 6' 2". I think it's a balance between reach, movement, power etc.

I think if were to plot success (Y-axis) vs. height (X-axis), we'd end up with an approximately inverse U-shaped graph.

But this is just my theory. More like opinion.

nikita13
09-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Nadal. Next year if he stay fit. Otherwise, Nole.

groundstroke
09-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Nadal, obviously.

World Beater
09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Yes I understand that the population gets taller with each generation. But my point was that there seems to be a height range which seems to fit this sport best. And to me it's between 5' 11" and 6' 11" or 6' 2". I think it's a balance between reach, movement, power etc.

I think if were to plot success (Y-axis) vs. height (X-axis), we'd end up with an approximately inverse U-shaped graph.

But this is just my theory. More like opinion.

Federer is more 6' 1 1/2..actually closer to 6' 2". Sampras and Nadal are both 6' 1" flat.

Roddick, joker and haas are 6' 2" flat.

nanoman
09-10-2007, 11:04 PM
In Djoko's case, he actually has a 6'0-6'1 body. It's his abnormally long head that gives him that extra inch or 2.
Watch pictures of Fed standing next to Djoko. Fed shoulder height >= Djoko's shoulder height.

Burrow
09-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Nadal, obviously.

:retard:

Sunset of Age
09-11-2007, 12:29 AM

Fed himself seems to think so - since somewhere around 2005.
Only time will tell if he's been right there. I hope he is. :angel:

mashamaniac
09-11-2007, 12:35 AM

:confused: