Standing on the Baseline this Spring (Spring indoor/HC thread!)!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Standing on the Baseline this Spring (Spring indoor/HC thread!)!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Deboogle!.
02-10-2007, 05:57 AM
:rocker2:

San Jose draw released earlier today. Andy opens against Frank Dancevic (who took him to 3 last year), could play Sam in the 2nd round, Vinnay Ice in the QF, Murray in the Semis again, etc. Tough draw...

Full draw here: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4842387&postcount=1

We already know Andy will play Wednesday night.... it'll be a tough turnaround from DC, but he's done it before :)

arodfanpe666o
02-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Yes, it's tough, but if Andy plays his A game, I like his chances ;)

knight_ley
02-10-2007, 07:16 AM
:woohoo:

Fee
02-10-2007, 07:38 AM
I'll try to check in when I can. :)

partygirl
02-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Gladly:sobbing: i will be nowhere near San jose.:p

blosson
02-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Fee are you going to be in San Jose?

I think he can win this tournament if he keeps the confidence he had during AO.

Loremaster
02-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah this draw is tough , but it is better to get tough draws than easy ones, easy draws killed Andy sometimes, he was crushing easy opponents and then when someone better showed up he couldn't find his way. I think Murray is beatable Andy isn't in slump anymore and his BH is looking better and better :worship:

Sean.J.S.
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Tough draw ... good luck, Andy.

Raina
02-10-2007, 12:39 PM
I really like the title of this thread! :woohoo:

tennis lover
02-10-2007, 01:49 PM
:bounce: ooh, I keep forgetting that it's next week because it's so close to DC! :o how exciting! :D

Fee
02-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah I'll be there. Free wireless at my hotel, so if I have time I will fire up the laptop and check in.

tangerine_dream
02-10-2007, 07:50 PM
An Andy-Sam match would be great to see. :D

I hope Andy beats Murray this time. Then that will be three wins in a row over the "more talented" player. :)

blosson
02-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Tangy, where did you get those characters? They look like the ones used in the BBC promos.

Golfnduck
02-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Tough draw, but he can do it. Go Andy!

2moretogo
02-11-2007, 12:03 AM
An Andy-Sam match would be great to see. :D

I hope Andy beats Murray this time. Then that will be three wins in a row over the "more talented" player. :)

Hahaha, you need to stop reading GM.

tangerine_dream
02-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Tangy, where did you get those characters? They look like the ones used in the BBC promos.
You should know, it's from Purple and Brown :bounce:

Say, what's with Britain's obsession with cute shapeless blobby things like Bloo, and now Purple and Brown? :p

When are you bringing Bloo back? I miss that cute little condom thingy. :sad:

tangerine_dream
02-11-2007, 09:15 PM
It's annoying how the media acts as if Andy's the only one who can't beat Roger. Nobody's beating Roger. And I think Rafa's days of dominating Roger will be over soon, too.

Besides, after 2 years of watching Andy struggle against C-players he should have been wiping off the court, I'm happy to see Andy beating the players he *should* be beating, and with relative ease. I'm looking forward to seeing Andy's new confidence and game on display at the SAP Open. :banana:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_5206230
Next barometer for new Roddick? SAP Can Andy still be dandy?
Still no match for Federer, S.J. event may give answers vs. others
By Darren Sabedra, MEDIANEWS STAFF
02/11/2007

SAN JOSE — Shortly before last month's Australian Open, Andy Roddick was assessing his chances of beating the big bully of the men's tennis tour, Roger Federer.

"There's still a long way to go," Roddick said, "but I'm a lot more optimistic."

Roddick didn't come close to conquering Mount Federer in Australia. In fact, the 6-4, 6-0, 6-2 outcome was worse than expected.

But as Roddick, 24, returns to San Jose this week for the SAP Open, two questions loom: Might the Federer debacle ruin Roddick's year? Or will the United States' top-ranked player keep building on the progress he has made since tennis legend Jimmy Connors started coaching him last summer?

The answers should begin to emerge when Roddick steps on the court at HP Pavilion. His opening-round match Wednesday will be his first on the ATP Tour since Federer crushed him in that Australian Open semifinal Jan.26.

"I don't think it's back to the drawing board for Andy at all," said Jim Courier, who was ranked No1 in the early 1990s. "Andy didn't play his best tennis. Roger played incredibly well. It would be way too soon for Andy to panic based on one match." :yeah:

Pete Sampras isn't so sure about that. Like others, Sampras said he thought Roddick was on the verge of beating Federer after relatively close losses at the U.S. Open and the year-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai.

But now Sampras suspects Roddick might have taken a step back.

"I think Roger wanted to set the record straight that he is clearly the best player," said Sampras, who won a record 14 Grand Slam tournaments.

"Roddick does have a big game, but he seems uncomfortable playing Roger. They play similar games :retard: , but Roger is that much better at it. Roger has that extra gear to impose his will. Roddick really doesn't."

That said, Roddick has played better under Connors' tutelage. He is coming to the net more. He uses his backhand with more power and precision. And, except for when he plays Federer, he is winning again.

In two Grand Slam tournaments with Connors on his side — last year's U.S. Open and this year's Australian Open — Roddick has reached a final and a semifinal. In the four Grand Slam events before Connors arrived, Roddick failed to advance beyond the round of 16 and lost in the first round twice.

Not surprisingly, Roddick said of Connors, "It's just great having a mentor and adviser who has been there before, who kind of gets what you're going through a little bit."

Connors, 54, hooked up with Roddick last July in Los Angeles. Soon thereafter, Connors, who spent a record five consecutive years at No.1 from 1974-78, was in Roddick's hometown of Austin, working with his pupil.

The week in Texas had immediate results. Roddick won his next tournament, in Cincinnati. It was his first title in nearly a year and set the wheels in motion for a run at the U.S. Open.

"I'm proud of him," Connors told the New York Times during the Open. "The way he's playing and the way he listens and the way he goes about his practicing, you don't find someone who's had his success to be willing to continue to do that." :banana:

But for everything Roddick has achieved in the sport, he has won only one Grand Slam tournament (the 2003 U.S. Open) and is 1-13 against Federer.

It's anyone's guess if Connors — who shares coaching duties with Roddick's brother, John — can do anything about either. If not for Federer, Roddick might have won the past two Grand Slam events. Instead, Roddick is still searching for answers.

Connors was unavailable for comment for this story. But, after Roddick's loss to Federer at last year's U.S. Open, he told the Times, "I'm going to give him a game, no matter who he plays. This is not building a game from the ground up. This is tinkering here and tinkering there to give him the opportunity to beat Roger Federer."

During his playing days, Connors was as feisty as anyone. He won eight Grand Slam tournaments, including five U.S. Opens. In 1991, Roddick was in the stands when Connors made his legendary last stand, a dramatic run to the U.S. Open semifinals at age 39.

Rekindling the stories must be great, right? Well, if they are, Roddick wouldn't know.

"I don't remember one time where he's been talking about his matches, what he did," Roddick said. "That's probably the part that's surprised me the most. I ask him a lot of questions about it. (But) he kind of focuses on what I have to do."

So, what are the workouts like? Extremely vocal?

"It's weird," Roddick said, "because he's not as loud and boisterous as you all might think. He's pretty demure. Very straightforward, very involved with the whole process."

Connors doesn't travel with Roddick to every tournament, so it's unclear if he will be in attendance this week. It also was uncertain if Connors would make it to Australia last month because his mother, the woman credited for making him a champion, had just died. But Connors was there, in time for Roddick to outlast Marat Safin in the third round.

"For him to be here in the flesh, we're really happy," Roddick said at the time.

Time will tell if Connors, Roddick's fourth coach since 2004, is the man to lead him to consistent greatness. Because in today's tennis, consistent greatness means only one thing: finding the key to beat Roger Federer.

Fee
02-12-2007, 06:06 AM
This is the first time I've heard that the court is 'fast', the last few years its been medium or even slow, depending who you ask. If it really is 'fast' it could be good for Andy. We'll see if it's mentioned in the paper after tomorrow's matches.

Deboogle!.
02-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Interesting. I remember last year watching some of the QFs and thinking that it was playing even slower than I had remembered in years' past.

Sofyaxo
02-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I remember thinking the same thing Deb. Maybe they got it a little faster from last year. :shrug:

Caren
02-12-2007, 07:25 PM
I ACTUALLY GET THIS TOURNAMENT :banana:

Though not until friday which sucks :mad:

knight_ley
02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
At least you get some of it ;)

kaylee
02-12-2007, 07:51 PM
yeah exactly I am reduced to live score AGAIN grrrrr I have campaigned my cable company to get the tennis channel but do we have it noooo BUT we do get the golf channel what is with that?

knight_ley
02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I call Comcast all the time, and about a month ago the girl there told me that they had TTC in test markets and it's doing well. And it should be out to everyone in March. I told her I need it by RG or I'm switching to the Dish network :lol:

tangerine_dream
02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
To help Andy remember to "Stand on the Baseline" as per thread title, we simply must include idolwatcher's brilliant photo :lol:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7010/roddogoo5.jpg

Of course, *crawling around the baseline* could also work. Maybe. ;)

kaylee
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
hahahahahahaha *falls off chair* OMG that is hilarious hmmmmm *brings interesting thoughts to one's mind*

jeahhh!
02-12-2007, 08:25 PM
:spit: and I literally just did that I now have tea all over my laptop:o

J. Corwin
02-12-2007, 09:23 PM
I thought that leash was a whip before I scrolled all the way down. :lol:

tangerine_dream
02-12-2007, 10:42 PM
The SAP is going to interesting this year with so many Americans showing up, Andy, Sam!, James, Mardy!, Robert K., along with AndMy, and now...Marat! :eek: Safin fans better head on out to see him at SAP because it's unlikely he'll come back. :lol:

No Tommy or Lleyton this year though. :sad:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/16680176.htm
Safin a new attraction for SAP Open
The Russian's looks and volatility, along with his game, were key factors in why he was so heavily pursued by organizers
By Darren Sabedra
MEDIANEWS STAFF

SAN JOSE - The SAP Open had tried for years to lure Marat Safin to San Jose, not just because when he's on, he can play tennis like few can. The San Jose tournament also wanted the Russian star because, well, how shall we put this?

Safin is "kind of nuts," according to tournament director Bill Rapp.

"That's where he and I have something in common, because I am a little crazy myself at times," Rapp said. "As much as (Pete) Sampras could wow people with his stroke, he was very vanilla. When you see Safin breaking rackets over the top of his head and screaming at the top of his lungs, that's what people love to see."

More than six years removed from his eyebrow-raising victory over Sampras in the 2000 U.S. Open final, Safin will make his San Jose debut Tuesday night at HP Pavilion with an opening-round match against American wild card Scott Oudsema.

For Rapp, Safin's appearance will be the culmination of a lengthy recruitment. "I have had my eye on him since he turned pro," Rapp said.

So, what took so long?

Like most European stars, Safin, who turned pro in 1997, had preferred to play closer to home at this time of year, waiting usually until shortly before Indian Wells in March to cross the Atlantic.

But this year, Safin said, "I want to be doing something else rather than playing in Europe. I haven't won a tournament for a long time, and I'm looking forward to doing it there."

Of course, in the post-Andre Agassi era of the SAP Open, it helped that Rapp had more appearance-fee dollars to throw Safin's way. It's unclear how much Safin will receive. But Rapp said he collaborated with the tournament director in Las Vegas -- the ATP Tour moves there a week after San Jose -- to pull funds together to bring Safin to both events.

Why so much effort for a player who has won only one Grand Slam tournament since his breakthrough against Sampras and is ranked 24th in the world?

Because of all the players on tour, Safin, 27, might be the most unpredictable. He is capable of winning an event or losing in the first round, capable of keeping his cool or blowing up, capable of saying the right things or something outlandish.

Part of the attraction, Rapp said, is the 6-foot-4 Safin is a "good-looking guy. So he'll appeal to the ladies. (But) also he'll appeal to the guys, because he's a man's man."

Safin's a noted playboy who acknowledges that he doesn't take tennis as seriously as rivals such as Rafael Nadal do.

If he did?

"I would quit, because I would get bored," Safin told the Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald last month. "I don't think I would like to have the life of Nadal, and Nadal maybe doesn't like my lifestyle.

"I would definitely not change my lifestyle for anything, even to be No. 1 in the world for many years. I just want to live like a normal person. I don't want to be as -- how you call it? -- tunnel vision. It's not me."

Asked about that quote a few weeks later, Safin said, "Of course, I want to be No. 1 in the world. But I want to live and enjoy my life."

Still, Safin has shown he can beat anyone, including Roger Federer. Safin won a classic five-setter against the world's No. 1 player in the semifinals of the 2005 Australian Open, then defeated Lleyton Hewitt in the final.

Last year, Safin was slowed by injury. But the year ended on a good note as he helped lead Russia to a Davis Cup title in December.

Safin opened this year with a rain-interrupted, five-set loss to Andy Roddick in the third round of the Australian Open. That match had Safin fuming because he thought the court was too slick when play resumed. He also had some calls go against him.

Safin called it a "very difficult" experience. But, he added, "I'm playing very well. I think I'll have my chance to come back."

Perhaps he will turn things around this week. Safin, seeded fourth, could play No. 2 seed James Blake in Saturday's semifinals and No. 1 seed Roddick in Sunday's final.

"It's going to be very interesting," Safin said.

2moretogo
02-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Bwah.. @ that picture.

Oh Rapp is a little crazy? This is one time I wish I lived on the West Coast.

Sofyaxo
02-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Bill Rapp wishes he was as cool as Marat :cool: who better get into the final

jeahhh!
02-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Bill Rapp wishes he was as cool as Marat :cool: who better get into the final

Yeah he does. And Marat better!

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 03:50 AM
Fee just called, she wanted me to pass along that one of the other drivers recently picked Andy and James up at the airport and the first thing they did when they got in the car was call their moms :lol:

Nunyabeezwax
02-13-2007, 03:58 AM
Fee just called, she wanted me to pass along that one of the other drivers recently picked Andy and James up at the airport and the first thing they did when they got in the car was call their moms :lol:

:awww: Awwwww, that makes me want to hug a teddy bear.

jeahhh!
02-13-2007, 04:01 AM

Aww thats so cute and that reminds me I have to call mine.

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:12 AM
Sam just destroyed Paul Goldstein 2 and 1 in 50 minutes :eek::eek: he'd play Andy if Andy beats Dancevic :unsure:

knight_ley
02-13-2007, 04:13 AM

Aww! :hearts:

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Sam just destroyed Paul Goldstein 2 and 1 in 50 minutes :eek::eek: he'd play Andy if Andy beats Dancevic :unsure:

IF ;)

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:15 AM
IF ;)okkkkkkayyyyyy, not here, son :p

jeahhh!
02-13-2007, 04:17 AM

:eek:

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 04:19 AM
okkkkkkayyyyyy, not here, son :p

I'm just kiding, I do like Andy a bit now, just not against Frank :p he is Canada's pride and joy when it comes to tennis :D

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:22 AM
I'm just kiding, I do like Andy a bit now, just not against Frank :p he is Canada's pride and joy when it comes to tennis :Doh? what caused your epiphany? :p

You can love Frank all you want, I'm sure he has a thread somewhere here :p

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 04:24 AM
oh? what caused your epiphany? :p

You can love Frank all you want, I'm sure he has a thread somewhere here :p

epiphany? :scratch:

How about this...Vamos Andy! :p

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:27 AM
epiphany? :scratch:look it up :pHow about this...Vamos Andy! :ponly if you mean it :p

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 04:31 AM
look it up :p

"festival of the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles" :p

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 04:31 AM
only if you mean it :p

I do :D

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:32 AM
"festival of the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles" :p:rolleyes: :pI do :DYou better not be lying to me :p

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 04:35 AM
:rolleyes: :pYou better not be lying to me :p

There are all these different definations, I dont know which one you ment :p

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=epiphany&x=33&y=21

I would never lie :p ;)

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:37 AM
Look at definition #3 :p

You better not ;)

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 04:39 AM
Look at definition #3 :p

You better not ;)

:p :D

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks Reuters, now Andy will lose to Dancevic :yeah:

American Querrey sets up Roddick clash in San Jose
Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:47 AM GMT

By Simon Cambers

SAN JOSE, Feb 12 (Reuters) - American teenager Sam Querrey set up a match against top seed Andy Roddick with an impressive 6-2 6-1 victory over compatriot Paul Goldstein in the San Jose Open first round on Monday.

The 19-year-old wildcard repaid the faith shown in him by tournament organisers by hammering down 13 aces on his way to victory over in just 50 minutes.

At 6-foot-6, one of the tallest players on tour, the 19-year-old Querrey never allowed Goldstein to get a foothold in the match and broke the world number 73 four times.

Querrey, who climbed more than 600 places in the rankings in 2006 and entered this week at number 92, broke in the sixth and eighth games to take the first set.

Goldstein was constantly under pressure on his serve and the writing was on the wall when he was broken in the fourth game of the second set.

Querrey then broke again and served out to set up an intriguing clash with Roddick, the winner in San Jose in 2004 and 2005.

jeahhh!
02-13-2007, 05:23 AM
I hate the media!

Fee
02-13-2007, 08:02 AM
The court is faster this year, I've heard that mentioned.

blosson
02-13-2007, 08:19 AM

How sweet. :lol:

Tytta!.
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM

:awww: :lol:

:scared:

cobalt60
02-13-2007, 12:20 PM

Good boys. They have been well trained:D

Fee have a good time :banana:

Sofyaxo
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
The fact that the court is faster makes me happy. I just thought everyone should know that :dance:

Tytta!.
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Good boys. They have been well trained:D

Hahaha. :lol:

tennis lover
02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwww! :hearts:

kaylee
02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
exactly well done boys! Heehee I have a friend who used to drive the guys at Wimbledon it is an awesome job!!!

CarolineRodd
02-13-2007, 03:56 PM

awwww sweet ;)

kaylee
02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
good boys!!!!!

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Oh, the court is faster this year, I now have that from two more players. There must be some official word on it because a San Francisco Chronicle article (which isn't about Andy at all so I won't bother posting it here) said that the court is "much faster".... anyhoo, I got your message last night but I was already in bed and didn't feel like getting out of it :p Thanks though :)

Hopefully Andy can adjust in time :unsure:

jeahhh!
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Hopefully Andy can adjust in time :unsure:

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Well, Dancevic was coming in from playing Davis Cup too, so at least that helps. But I think Canada's DC tie was played on indoor hard or something similar :scratch: :unsure:

Sam said beating Andy in a practice match a few weeks ago was cooler than hitting with Pete Sampras :sobbing: :sobbing:
http://www.tennisreporters.net/querrey_sampras_021207.html

Tytta!.
02-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Sam said beating Andy in a practice match a few weeks ago was cooler than hitting with Pete Sampras :sobbing: :sobbing:

:haha: :haha:

tangerine_dream
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Sam is allright :cool: Andy's just a big ol' jerk.

Querrey has already met and hit with plenty of luminaries. He's a regular practice partner for Andy Roddick. He's spoken with Jimmy Connors. He's hit with James Blake. But it's Roddick whom he most looks up to.

"I didn't even know that Connors held the record for consecutive weeks at No. 1," Querrey said. "For me, knowing Andy and beating Andy in a practice match is bigger. He's more my generation."

:lol:

TMJordan
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Well, Dancevic was coming in from playing Davis Cup too, so at least that helps. But I think Canada's DC tie was played on indoor hard or something similar :scratch: :unsure:

Carpet :p

Oh BTW Deb, thanks for the Santa Clara tip ;)

They won and poor Amir lost :sad:

kaylee
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
yeah and the Canadians won which is huuuge!!! Carpet is slower tho and Andy has beaten Frank before!!!

Deboogle!.
02-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh BTW Deb, thanks for the Santa Clara tip ;)

They won and poor Amir lost :sad:All I said was the campus is pretty :haha: :haha: :haha:

but i'm glad you didn't lose money :)yeah and the Canadians won which is huuuge!!! Carpet is slower tho and Andy has beaten Frank before!!!Carpet is usually faster than indoor hard.

Fee
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Amer :(

Sometimes I just don't know what to do with him.

kaylee
02-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Really? OK I sit corrected!!!!

blosson
02-13-2007, 06:43 PM

The generation gap showing here :lol:

tennis lover
02-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Tomorrow night is too far away! :( oh well, I won't be able to watch any of this tournament anyway. :awww:

jeahhh!
02-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Tomorrow night is too far away! :( oh well, I won't be able to watch any of this tournament anyway. :awww:

:hug:

kaylee
02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
bahhhh me either I expect I will be on live score darn it!!!!!

tennis lover
02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't even have that since most of his matches will be at about 3.30am. although I would stay up for the semis and final if he gets that far and I can find a live stream or something since it'll be the weekend so I won't have to get up! :)

GollyLou
02-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't even have that since most of his matches will be at about 3.30am. although I would stay up for the semis and final if he gets that far and I can find a live stream or something since it'll be the weekend so I won't have to get up! :)

:lol: I plan on doing the same thing. There are several sucky things about living in the UK, but mostly I hate when there is tennis in the US because we get almost no coverage of it and it's too late to stay up and watch a livestream.

Golfnduck
02-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I might be awake for Andy's match tomorrow night, who knows. I'm like my grandmother lately. I sit down and fall asleep :lol: I think it's because we've been painting the clubhouse for the past two weeks, and I'm dead.

kaylee
02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Heehee hmmmm I will be at work when he starts cos I am 3 hours ahead so it will be live score!

adee-gee
02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
:wavey: kaylee, nice to have you around these parts :hug:

Tytta!.
02-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Oh, man.

kaylee
02-13-2007, 07:49 PM
errrr thanks I think!!!!

tennis lover
02-14-2007, 12:30 AM
:lol: I plan on doing the same thing. There are several sucky things about living in the UK, but mostly I hate when there is tennis in the US because we get almost no coverage of it and it's too late to stay up and watch a livestream.
Yeah I know! It's perfect for European tournaments and US day sessions, but US night sessions are just at the wrong time! :( and of course pretty much all of Andy's matches are night matches! :sobbing: although come to think of it, the semis and the final will probably be in the day so we might not have to stay up so late! :p
Nice to see you're slowly de-lurking by the way! ;)
I might be awake for Andy's match tomorrow night, who knows. I'm like my grandmother lately. I sit down and fall asleep :lol: I think it's because we've been painting the clubhouse for the past two weeks, and I'm dead.
at 7.30? :sobbing: :hug: you obviously need the sleep though. :)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 04:22 AM
video: http://www.nbc11.com/video/11005445/index.html?rss=bay&psp=sports

I dunno if it works though b/c I'm in class :lol:

superpinkone37
02-14-2007, 07:36 AM
hahahaha Fee, great stories and updates :lol:

aw now I remember the stuff from last year when you'd call us to give us updates, and I've been so caught up in nontennis stuff I forgot it's already theSan Jose tourney again. :o

I hope you're having a WONDERFUL time! :kiss:

GollyLou
02-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah I know! It's perfect for European tournaments and US day sessions, but US night sessions are just at the wrong time! :( and of course pretty much all of Andy's matches are night matches! :sobbing: although come to think of it, the semis and the final will probably be in the day so we might not have to stay up so late! :p
Nice to see you're slowly de-lurking by the way! ;)

The US Open isn't too bad with Sky, because at least they show the matches and I can tape them overnight. It's just the IW & Miami Masters Series and the smaller tournaments where we get almost no coverage at all or heavily edited coverage. Amazingly, Eurosport are actually showing the semis and final so hopefully I'll get to see Andy (and not have him lose this time).

I am. Very slowly. You're all nice though! I can't help it.

Fee
02-14-2007, 08:59 AM
Andy practiced today on the arena court with Rainer Schuettler. I don't know if he made any comments about the condition of the court yet.

knight_ley
02-14-2007, 02:22 PM
video: http://www.nbc11.com/video/11005445/index.html?rss=bay&psp=sports
I like the outfit! :drool: Thanks Deb!!!! :kiss:

Andy practiced today on the arena court with Rainer Schuettler.
:hearts: Andy & Rainer!!!

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 03:37 PM
He also practiced yesterday at 8:15am:eek: :lol:
===================
Angles & Dropshots - Wednesday, February 14, 2007
February 14, 2007

By Joel Drucker

Booth Check: For some fun viewing, check out the booth outside Section 106, where the Sacramento Capitals of World Team Tennis are running a fine video of the many greats who’ve been part of the league’s 33-year-history, including the ’06 debut of Pete Sampras. No one, but no one, can give you a more impassioned explanation of WTT than Capitals group sales honcho Joe Guglielmi.

Tuesday morning, after flying from all day Monday from Ostrava, Czechoslovakia, two-time champ Andy Roddick was up bright and early at the HP Pavilion for a practice session and 8:15 interview on KTVU’s “Mornings on Two” program. Even if it costs him sleep, Roddick has always loved the chance to practice on the court where he’ll be playing Wednesday night. Unquestionably, Roddick’s clinching Davis Cup win Sunday over Tomas Berdych was the finest claycourt effort of his career.

As far as the ultra-early practice goes, Roddick’s coach, Jimmy Connors, befriended night watchmen at arenas all over the world. Jimbo was known to arrive on court at all hours of the night – 2 a.m., 6 a.m. – so that he could get in a singles practice session rather than share a court. Says one former Connors sparring partner, Eliot Teltscher, “I told him once in the middle of the session that this was pretty wild hitting at this time. He said, ‘Son, what we’re doing now is work. Let’s get back to work and we’ll talk later.’ So I just shut up and kept hitting.” And hit Teltscher did, making three notable splashes at this tournament. In 1976, at 17, he commuted back and forth to Los Angeles, making his way through the qualifying into the main draw, where he reached the second round. Four years later he reached the finals – and won it a year later. Connors played this event in three decades, most recently in ’94 when at age 41 he lost in the first round to former Stanford star Alex O’Brien.

Off the heels of his first round win over Paul Goldstein, Sammy Querrey was in a chipper mood. Said Querrey, “I just out there and hit the ball hard. Being patient for me is different than for Hewitt or Nadal. Maybe I wait until the third ball before I try to rip a winner from ten feet behind the baseline.” Now that he’s capturing attention as a rising American, Querrey’s had chances to practice with many top players, including Andy Roddick and, just last week, Pete Sampras. Among the highlights of his session with Sampras was the all-time great suffering a bloody nose and continuing to play. According to Querrey, “There was blood everywhere for about an hour . . .He bombs the serve. He doesn’t want to have 30-shot rallies. It was cool.” Querrey last night signed autographs on the main concourse.

… Goldstein’s thoughts on Querrey: “Loose wrist, live arm, a real snappy ball. As tall as he is, he moves very well. You’d think he’d be gangly and awkward, but he covers the court very well.”

In his role as SAP’s global worldwide tennis ambassador, Roddick paid a visit to SAP’s hospitality area last night, chatting up guests and sharing thoughts with tournament director Bill Rapp. Speaking of last weekend’s Davis Cup victory in the Czech Republic, Roddick said, “It was good to win one on the road, to go up against 7,000 of them and our powerhouse rooting section of ten.” Roddick also discussed his foundation, which benefits at-risk children in South Florida and Texas. “It started when I was 17,” says Roddick. “I was acting pretty quiet around Andre Agassi, and he asked me if I had any questions for him. So I asked, and one thing I wondered was what he regretted. I figured I’d hear about some matches, but he told me that the thing he most regretted was that he hadn’t started his sooner. I started mine the next year.” To date it’s raised nearly $6 million.

kaylee
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the video, wow Andy must be a morning person good for him to be able to practice so early after flying all that way. Wish I could see his first match!!!

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 04:07 PM
it's called jet-lag. 8:15am to him was like 5:15 pm :)

kaylee
02-14-2007, 04:20 PM
hahahaha I know the feeling when I come back from London am awake at 4 or 5 in the morning cos for me it is like 11 or 12! How r ya Deb!!! Do you think that you will be coming to DC in April????

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
i'm tired, my friend woke me up at 7:25am. I'm not going to DC in April, I need to save my money for my trip to europe this summer.

tangerine_dream
02-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Andy's radio interview promoting SAP. Great stuff as always. Andy is probably one of the best sports personalities in the business (not just tennis). :cool:

http://media.knbr.com/knbr/0213roddick.mp3

sample Andy genius: "That's easy for Jim Courier to say. He was number one for a year I was number one for a cup of coffee." :spit: :haha: :rolls: I love this kid.

jeahhh!
02-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Andy's radio interview promoting SAP. Great stuff as always. Andy is probably one of the best sports personalities in the business (not just tennis). :cool:

Thanks.:hug:

kaylee
02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Oh Tangy you have done it again! Deb save hard I am telling you now Europe is expensive but if you want cheap places to eat in London pm me and I can give you a list!

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Oh Tangy you have done it again! Deb save hard I am telling you now Europe is expensive but if you want cheap places to eat in London pm me and I can give you a list!Oh, thanks :) but i'm not going to London (hides from Adam). I've been to London already ;) I have the money to go, most of it will be a present from my parents for finishing law school, but still, going to Davis Cup would probably cost me $1000 or more so I can't really justify that - $1000 would get me a lot of stuff in Europe ;)

kaylee
02-14-2007, 05:31 PM
oh wow that is awesome, darn it I envy you. That is one of the things I miss living in NA these days! Travel in Europe is sooo easy, if you are going to Paris and want to go to other cities ask for the packages of hotels and trains together cos it is much cheaper. I also have loads of connections in other European cities if that is any help to you.

Hope I am not bugging ya too much but since I have travelled in Europe a lot I know the pitfalls!

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 05:35 PM
yea I'm excited. going for 6 weeks. Amanda from this forum is gonna come with me for about the first half, it should be fun :D I think i've pretty much worked it all out, I planned it all myself. Found the flights/trains, hotels, etc. :) 10 cities in 45 days :banana:

kaylee
02-14-2007, 05:47 PM
u must post pictures on your website that is sooooo cool! A lot of Americans do "Europe" after graduation etc. I think Europeans should do "North America". I have travelled extensively in the US but my 13 states in 3 weeks was the best!

surfpinky
I'm using the SAP software in one of my classes

yep, that's my contribution to this thread...

surfpinky
u must post pictures on your website that is sooooo cool! A lot of Americans do "Europe" after graduation etc. I think Europeans should do "North America". I have travelled extensively in the US but my 13 states in 3 weeks was the best!

i want to do certain people in europe

kidding!
d:

cobalt60
02-14-2007, 05:49 PM
yea I'm excited. going for 6 weeks. Amanda from this forum is gonna come with me for about the first half, it should be fun :D I think i've pretty much worked it all out, I planned it all myself. Found the flights/trains, hotels, etc. :) 10 cities in 45 days :banana:

I am heading to italy this september but you will be long gone by then. Sounds like fun. Have you met Amanda before?

Oh and good luck Andy this evening:)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
I am heading to italy this september but you will be long gone by then. Sounds like fun. Have you met Amanda before?

Oh and good luck Andy this evening:)September is when I will be in Italy!!!

Yes we have :) she came to Davis Cup a couple times :)

Nat I freakin love you.

cobalt60
02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
September is when I will be in Italy!!!

Yes we have :) she came to Davis Cup a couple times :)

Nat I freakin love you.

Really? And Nat should definitely do europe or anyone else she might like;)

I will be in Northern Tuscany in a villa :inlove: Can not wait.

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Really? And Nat should definitely do europe or anyone else she might like;)

I will be in Northern Tuscany in a villa :inlove: Can not wait.oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh very niceeeeeeeeeee :D

Yeah, I'll start in Venice right at the end of August, then 2 weeks in Italiaaaaaaaa :)

cobalt60
02-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Are you traveling all over Italy or just one region?
I am going without the family btw-a needed break from a lot of things. Thank god Steve is so positive and understanding about everything.:hearts:
I will be in the Gargagnana region in an old restored farm in Albiano overlooking the Alps. Eating and drinking my way to physical and mental health;)

Oh and good luck Andy again this evening :lol: Have to stay on track for this thread:o

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 06:03 PM
nah going OT is good ;) Venice 4 nights, Florence and Rome 5 each :D

Fumus
02-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow I didn't realize that this tourney was going to rock so much.

Roddick v. Murray - Semi
Blake v. Safin -Semi

Too bad that Andy has to play Sam soo soon. I hope Fish does well, maybe Roddick can meet Fish in the final?

surfpinky
02-14-2007, 06:13 PM
:kiss:

Winston's Human
02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Oh, thanks :) but i'm not going to London (hides from Adam). I've been to London already ;) I have the money to go, most of it will be a present from my parents for finishing law school, but still, going to Davis Cup would probably cost me $1000 or more so I can't really justify that - $1000 would get me a lot of stuff in Europe ;)

Hi Deb.

Are you taking the bar exam this summer?

You will never feel more relaxed after finishing law school and taking the bar exam. A buddy and I went on a four-week post-graduation road trip while waiting on our bar results. It was time well-spent.

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi Deb.

Are you taking the bar exam this summer?

You will never feel more relaxed after finishing law school and taking the bar exam. A buddy and I went on a four-week post-graduation road trip while waiting on our bar results. It was time well-spent.Yes, in july, and I plan to leave for Europe 2-3 days later :D That's exactly what I'm hoping to feel :D which is why I want to have all the money possible available for it, because i know I'm going to want to shop :haha: :haha: I can't wait :D

Fee
02-14-2007, 06:39 PM
The arena is opened every morning for practice sessions, beginning at 7 am.

The Thursday evening schedule has already been posted on the tournament website ;)

kaylee
02-14-2007, 06:53 PM
darn it wish I could see his first match, looks as though I will be live scoring!

blosson
02-14-2007, 07:17 PM

sample Andy genius: "That's easy for Jim Courier to say. He was number one for a year I was number one for a cup of coffee." :spit: :haha: :rolls: I love this kid.

Who's doing the interview? Czechoslovakia doesn't exist. It's been years since the split.

Fee
02-14-2007, 07:26 PM
darn it wish I could see his first match, looks as though I will be live scoring!

or you can pay $10 for the stream (or $30 for the week, allegedly)

kaylee
02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
hmmmmm since that will be going to the streaming company and not a worthy cause I think I will pass but thanks for the tip, no doubt Tangerine will get videos or clips that are free. Just as long as he wins, I will see lots of Andy (I hope) in Miami!

Sofyaxo
02-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Hum did anyone else mention that Andy could move up to #3 if when he gets in the final.

I'm not sure about the other spots though I'm not so awesome at math :p

Tytta!.
02-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey, math rocks! :p

Sofyaxo
02-14-2007, 09:17 PM
It can rock all it wants that doesn't mean I have to be good at it :lol: ;)

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Hum did anyone else mention that Andy could move up to #3 if when he gets in the final.

I'm not sure about the other spots though I'm not so awesome at math :pWell actually he's gonna drop points and go behind Gonzo. He has to make the semis just to make up what he had from last year at San Jose. He's 145 points behind Davydenko and can only get 175 points if he wins the title minus 40 because 40 is his current 5th best, so he can pick up 135 which would put him a little behind Davydenko even if he wins the title.

So no #3 yet :( Maybe in Memphis though ;)

Sofyaxo
02-14-2007, 09:28 PM
See I told you about the math :rolleyes: I forgot about the whole points from last year thing.

Wishful thinking I guess, or I just forgot that he had any points to defend :lol: :tape:

kaylee
02-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Even so the gap will be closer won't it cos Kolya, Looby and Mario lost 1st round!

J. Corwin
02-14-2007, 09:53 PM
I won't be here tonight so I hope Andy plays well and wins and all that good stuff. :)

The other day in class our prof asked if anyone's doing anything special on Valentines and this one girl said she's going with her "good friend" to SAP Open to watch "Andy Roddick........play some other guy" :lol: Andy Roddick tennis = romantic getaway. :rocker2:

Sofyaxo
02-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I can already here the girls. Andee be my valentine

Deboogle!.
02-14-2007, 10:15 PM
See I told you about the math :rolleyes: I forgot about the whole points from last year thing.

Wishful thinking I guess, or I just forgot that he had any points to defend :lol: :tape::hug: That's okay :) It's very confusing :crazy:Even so the gap will be closer won't it cos Kolya, Looby and Mario lost 1st round!Doesn't matter because Mario and Ljubicic are below him anyway and I don't think Davydenko was defending anything at all. So, completely irrelevant.

kaylee
02-14-2007, 11:18 PM
oh well points are good any which way!

Havok
02-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Italy owns. Spent a whole entire month there in the summer of 2000. I loved it and I was just 15-16 years old (had my sweet 16 in Italy actually :lol: ) and enjoyed myself, even though we were with family 24/7 for 4 straight weeks. The older you are, though, the more you'll enjoy/appreciate it so I can only imagine.

It was raining like hell when we visited Venice, we were so pissed:(! But great memories and stories to tell too because of it. Watch out for the birds :scared::birdshit:.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Italy owns. Spent a whole entire month there in the summer of 2000. I loved it and I was just 15-16 years old (had my sweet 16 in Italy actually :lol: ) and enjoyed myself, even though we were with family 24/7 for 4 straight weeks. The older you are, though, the more you'll enjoy/appreciate it so I can only imagine.

It was raining like hell when we visited Venice, we were so pissed:(! But great memories and stories to tell too because of it. Watch out for the birds :scared::birdshit:.:D I can't wait. That's why I'm saving it for last, so I can really savor it and not worry about getting to the next place a few days later. I'm especially excited about Florence :)

Have heard about the birds in Venice but I will pay special attention :lol: thanks :p

Dude, it mus be weird to stand in front of a huge poster of yourself :lol: AND THE THIRD PIC HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA I'M DYIN!!!!!!!!!

renee_chin
02-15-2007, 01:49 AM
OMG, that 3rd picture! :sobbing:

jeahhh!
02-15-2007, 01:51 AM
:spit: :haha: :haha: Those pictures!

tennis lover
02-15-2007, 02:16 AM
what is it with Andy and weird hats?! :sobbing:
I want to go to Italy! :awww: although when you guys are there, I will be moving to France! :scared:
Good luck to Andy for tonight, I don't think I will be around to check scores since I have to get up in 6 and a half hours and he doesn't start for a while yet! :sobbing: :lol:

knight_ley
02-15-2007, 03:24 AM
:haha:

acoffeygirl
02-15-2007, 03:38 AM
Posting cause I have a new AV courtesy of Deb!!! :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 03:41 AM
in 4 games, Andy has won ZERO receiving points :yeah:

2moretogo
02-15-2007, 03:43 AM
Go thing Andy has been playing TB well... (knocks on wood)

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 03:44 AM
Go thing Andy has been playing TB well... (knocks on wood)Ah, that'll end tonight no worries :lol:

Jlee
02-15-2007, 03:48 AM
At least he's serving well...:unsure:

snaillyyy
02-15-2007, 03:49 AM
Love the AV Amber :haha:

Oh Andy come on, I am not in the mood for TB's :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Thanks Frank:haha:

snaillyyy
02-15-2007, 03:57 AM
We will take anything that avoids a TB :haha:

Grinder
02-15-2007, 04:04 AM
5 return points and wins the set 7-5. :haha:

Now that's EFFICIENCY :lol:

2moretogo
02-15-2007, 04:09 AM
Ah, that'll end tonight no worries :lol:

Glad y'all understood what the hell I was saying, cuz reading it back I was like,

"Go does not equal good"

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 04:11 AM
Glad y'all understood what the hell I was saying, cuz reading it back I was like,

"Go does not equal good":haha: Dude, I honestly didn't even notice!!! :haha:

2moretogo
02-15-2007, 04:25 AM
:haha: Dude, I honestly didn't even notice!!! :haha:

Andy won and that's all that matters!!!

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Andy won and that's all that matters!!!Yes, and without having to play a TB :lol:

Against Sam tomorrow.... however....

Andy needs to show who is boss :unsure:

Sofyaxo
02-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Andy vs Sam makes me go awww. But I might be a little worried too.

cath777
02-15-2007, 04:35 AM
Yes, and without having to play a TB :lol:

Against Sam tomorrow.... however....

Andy needs to show who is boss :unsure:

I think this match could be tough if Andy doesn't show who's boss :scared:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 04:36 AM
I think this match could be tough if Andy doesn't show who's boss :scared:Yeah, seriously. he needs to be like "Yeah, practice match means nothing, punk."

cath777
02-15-2007, 04:39 AM
Yeah, seriously. he needs to be like "Yeah, practice match means nothing, punk."

I'm concerned that Andy will go into it thinking it's going to be a 1 and 1 beat down and get such a shock :scared:

Jlee
02-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Awww I like Sammy. :awww: It wouldn't be such a tragedy if it was close...

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 04:42 AM
I'm concerned that Andy will go into it thinking it's going to be a 1 and 1 beat down and get such a shock :scared:maybe, but remember the 2004 USO against poor Sco? I think he likes beating down these young Americans, all the better b/c he knows Sam so well and Sam has publicly stated how much he looks up to him, so Andy really needs to show him who is still boss for a few more years :pAwww I like Sammy. :awww: It wouldn't be such a tragedy if it was close...I love Sam, he's great. But Andy needs to beat him down :devil:

snaillyyy
02-15-2007, 04:45 AM
Sorry Sam, I love you but you are going down tomorrow :lol::p

cath777
02-15-2007, 04:48 AM
maybe, but remember the 2004 USO against poor Sco? I think he likes beating down these young Americans, all the better b/c he knows Sam so well and Sam has publicly stated how much he looks up to him, so Andy really needs to show him who is still boss for a few more years :pI love Sam, he's great. But Andy needs to beat him down :devil:

I think Sam is going to be a great player and I look forward to seeing it. All I'm concerned about is that Andy is going to underestimate him and it will be too close for comfort :secret: I don't want to see last year's Andy :scared:

Jlee
02-15-2007, 04:48 AM
I love Sam, he's great. But Andy needs to beat him down :devil:

:awww:

Fine...:p

snaillyyy
02-15-2007, 04:50 AM
:awww:

Fine...:p

awww sorry :hug: I really do like Sam, and would be cheering for him, if he wasn't playing Andy.

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 04:51 AM
I think Sam is going to be a great player and I look forward to seeing it. All I'm concerned about is that Andy is going to underestimate him and it will be too close for comfort :secret: I don't want to see last year's Andy :scared: I really feel like if there's anyone Andy wouldn't underestimate, it would be Sam. he just knows too well what he's capable of and he thinks and speaks so highly of him, I'm sure he won't underestimate him.

Grinder
02-15-2007, 04:53 AM

Go Sam

:bolt:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Pftttt Seth, he has his own thread. Shoo. :p

cath777
02-15-2007, 04:55 AM
I really feel like if there's anyone Andy wouldn't underestimate, it would be Sam. he just knows too well what he's capable of and he thinks and speaks so highly of him, I'm sure he won't underestimate him.

Deb's being positive about Andy :scared:

Jlee
02-15-2007, 05:00 AM
awww sorry :hug: I really do like Sam, and would be cheering for him, if he wasn't playing Andy.

Thanks, me too :hug:

Kill him Andy :yeah: :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 05:16 AM
John's insight is quick! :lol:
-------------
The court is very fast, so Andy took a little bit of time to find his range. He did a good job of coming into the net and using the court speed in his favor. We are looking forward to a match against the young up and coming American Sam Querrey.

And I just have to post this article because it's so lame.
===================================
Bored Roddick pounds Canadian:retard:

By Ashlee Vance in San Jose (ashlee.vance@theregister.co.uk)
Published Thursday 15th February 2007 04:53 GMT

SAP Open A bored Andy Roddick clobbered Canadian Frank Dancevic during his opening match here at the SAP Open.

Roddick rolled through the first set 7-5 in just thirty minutes and then put the finishing touches on an unmoving match with a 20-minute 6-1 drubbing in the second set. Both the American and Dancevic struggled early on to deal with the pace of the HP Pavilion's hard-court. Roddick, however, adjusted first to the quick concrete and then, having broken Dancevic's spirit, sent off the 96-ranked man.

Players at this year's SAP Open requested that the court play faster than in the past, and organizers satisfied this plea. Officials claim the ball moves 50 per cent faster on this year's surface. As a result, neither Roddick nor Dancevic could muster much more than aces, service winners and unforced errors up to 6-5 in the first set.

Roddick needed only a flash of competence to take the first set, breaking Dancevic at 6-5 with a shoulder-diving forehand and then a ripping backhand winner.:yeah:

"I was struggling there earlier," Roddick said, during a press conference. "Then, I managed to string together a couple shots and that helped."

Roddick described the SAP Open surface as one of the fastest he has faced in recent months :eek: :eek: and obviously much faster the than they clay he played on last week during a Davis Cup match with the Czechs.

The cracked backhand at the end of the first set marked one of the few times that Roddick pulled out his two-hander during the match. He relied mostly on slice:o:smash: and his new attacking-style game. No one would confuse Roddick's hands with those of Sampras or Edberg:rolleyes:, but he was decent enough today to put away a few volleys and dribble over a couple of nice drop shots.

Most of Dancevic's success came off his serve, which was Roddick's equal through much of the first set. Dancevic, however, had no answers from the ground or the net in the second set.

The SAP Open could provide a nice win for Roddick, who was demoralized by Roger Federer at the Australian Open.:rolleyes:

"Roger is not on my mind 24 hours a day," Roddick said. "Only three hours a day when you guys are asking about him." :haha:

Jlee
02-15-2007, 05:55 AM
"Roger is not on my mind 24 hours a day," Roddick said. "Only three hours a day when you guys are asking about him." :haha:

:spit: So true...LOL!

And did John actually post something about the match, before another was played? :eek:

Thanks Deb :)

Tytta!.
02-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Andrew. :banana:

Carole, dear, thanks for the updates. You are the best. :kiss:

tennis lover
02-15-2007, 02:58 PM
yay, he won! :banana: It was a nice result to see after my 4 hours of sleep last night! ;)
now it's beat down time! :bounce:

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Roddick makes it quick in opener

Ron Kroichick, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, February 15, 2007

Andy Roddick turned up in San Jose on Wednesday night, three days removed from a big Davis Cup victory in the Czech Republic. He was travel-weary, sure, but then he found his way to the SAP Open and stepped on the new, speedy surface.

And off he went.

Roddick and fast courts are a lethal combination, as he showed in dispatching Frank Dancevic 7-5, 6-1 in a first-round match before an energetic crowd of 8,993. Roddick, the top seed, needed only 50 minutes to move into the second round.

"It's a different tournament," he said. "The court is quicker than any place I played last year. It helps my serve a little, but it can also work as an equalizer -- if someone gets hot on serve, it's tough to break through."

Tournament director Bill Rapp acknowledged it was a conscious effort to speed up the surface. Rapp, responding to player feedback, had the final coat of paint (and water) applied without any sand.

So the court now plays as much as 50 percent faster than it did in 2006, to hear the estimates of Rapp and several players.

"A lot of guys thought it was too slow," Rapp said. "It was frustrating for some of them. We kind of went to a medium-fast court, from a medium-slow court, because I thought a majority of guys would prefer that."

Roddick and Dancevic engaged in a spirited display of power tennis, especially in the first set. Dancevic is a 22-year-old from Niagara Falls, Canada, the top-ranked player in his country (No. 94 in the world) and clearly willing to trade booming serves with Roddick (No. 4).

Dancevic stayed within reach until late in the first set, with Roddick leading 6-5 and trying to avoid a tiebreak. The score was 30-all when Roddick ran around and absolutely crushed a forehand winner. Then he smoked a low backhand return winner to end the set, screaming "Yeah!" as the ball zoomed past Dancevic.

Roddick didn't let up in the second set, quickly closing out the match. It was another encouraging display for Roddick, who has strengthened his game since he started working with Jimmy Connors in July.

Connors, among other things, has helped Roddick sharpen his backhand and become more aggressive on his service returns. Roddick sounded genuinely excited about Connors' guidance, even if he "kind of has to beg" for Connors to tell stories about his own playing days.

"It's been good," Roddick said of the partnership. "We probably got results a little faster than we thought we would, but it's still a process. I'm learning new parts of the game."

kaylee
02-15-2007, 02:59 PM
bah Sam next this is gonna be tough but I think Andy's experience will get the win!

Deboogle!.
02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
:)

kaylee
02-15-2007, 03:20 PM
oooo thanks for the pictures btw not sure how to get this to Andy fans but he is featured in April's tennis magazine, Pete Bodo assured me his interview with him would be featured, so put your order in now!

Fumus
02-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Good win! haha...I remember at this point last year Andy was playing tough with Mardy and Wayne Authors...lol...

blosson
02-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, seriously. he needs to be like "Yeah, practice match means nothing, punk."

Most definatelly. Losing to his junior practice partner at this stage would be like suicide. I want to see a straight set win!

Jade Fox
02-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Deb's being positive about Andy :scared:

If Deb's not worried then I'm not worried. That really should be our motto:p.

knight_ley
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
:worship:

Volcanic Tennis
02-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Good match ;)
Poor Frank though :sobbing: at least he competed well!

2moretogo
02-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the articles and pics!

I dunno about tonight's match. I was thinking that Andy would roll through.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the articles and pics!

I dunno about tonight's match. I was thinking that Andy would roll through.unfortunately for this match tonight :lol: it's hard to roll through someone who has a huge serve on a fast court - ask Andy :lol:

2moretogo
02-16-2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah, but Andy has is confidence now... His backhand is steady and ready for all sorts of returning winners!! Whoa hoo! I am thininking positive, watch, you all will see- poor Sam has another thing coming!!:angel:

(Am I delunsional?)

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 02:53 AM
Well it's just a matter of returning Sam's serve on a surface this fast. Once the ball is in play, I'd very much like Andy's chances. Sam is pretty awful at net, and I can't imagine him being able to pass Andy with any consistency, especially not under pressure. But if Andy can't break him and it goes to a TB, then anything's possible.

But of course the fact that they have such a backstory changes this a lot I think. Sam has said many times publicly that Andy's not only his idol, but we know he's really his mentor as well. They've practiced so much, Sam knows his game and has no reason to be nervous like he might be if they didn't know each other so well. So I think this situation has the potential to be complicated.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 03:14 AM
james managed to pull off the nearly impossible - he choked to Karlovic, so now god only knows when Andy will get on court :sobbing:

jeahhh!
02-16-2007, 04:00 AM
I just saw the photos from Andys match last night and have to say I'm happy he didn't wear all white.:banana: and I think he should win tonight as long as he goes out aggressive.:unsure:

tangerine_dream
02-16-2007, 04:35 AM
I just saw the photos from Andys match last night and have to say I'm happy he didn't wear all white.:banana: and I think he should win tonight as long as he goes out aggressive.:unsure:
Isn't it funny how the mere sight of Andy wearing something other than white makes us so happy? :lol:

Come on Andy, time to show Sammy who's da boss. :boxing: because James is nobody's boss these days :help:

jeahhh!
02-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Isn't it funny how the mere sight of Andy wearing something other than white makes us so happy? :lol:

Come on Andy, time to show Sammy who's da boss. :boxing: because James is nobody's boss these days :help:

It is funny and probably a little sad but I mean its so refreshing to see color.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 04:41 AM
I really wouldn't consider navy blue to be color :sobbing:

jeahhh!
02-16-2007, 04:44 AM
It's more color than white. Didn't he used to wear color when he first started wearing Lacoste?

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 04:57 AM
It's more color than white. Didn't he used to wear color when he first started wearing Lacoste?Um, a little. and last year around this time he wore the reddish/orange color shirt

but we are still waiting on a line just for him :o

Sofyaxo
02-16-2007, 05:02 AM
I can't even picture him in anything but a white or black shirt anymore. The tan and other color are so far out of my brain now.

jeahhh!
02-16-2007, 05:05 AM
Um, a little. and last year around this time he wore the reddish/orange color shirt

Yeah I remember that reddish one and the really pretty blue he wore at Queens.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 05:27 AM
oh my god Andy's never gonna get on court

:sobbing:

jeahhh!
02-16-2007, 05:29 AM

:awww: :hug:

knight_ley
02-16-2007, 05:29 AM

He's not on yet?! I was just checking his score cuz I'm about to get into bed. :eek: This is madness!

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 05:30 AM
He's not on yet?! I was just checking his score cuz I'm about to get into bed. :eek: This is madness!I blame.... James, Mardy, and Marat.... all for ridiculously unnecessarily extending their matches :mad:

knight_ley
02-16-2007, 05:34 AM
:armed:

Sofyaxo
02-16-2007, 05:41 AM
Silly me thought I was going to get to sleep tonight. :rolleyes:

Jlee
02-16-2007, 05:43 AM
If Marat loses the next 2 points...:mad:

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 05:45 AM
MARAT YOU HAVE LOST A FAN FOR THE TIME BEING :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

jeahhh!
02-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Make that two fans!:fiery: :fiery:

Jlee
02-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Why did they put Safin on before Andy!? :banghead:

Sofyaxo
02-16-2007, 05:48 AM
Oaf.:( But I still love him.

Deboogle!.
Why did they put Safin on before Andy!? :banghead:to smite us!?!?!???????

Why did Marat, James, Mardy, and Spadea all take WAY more time than was necessary to win their matches? Even Ben Becker lost a 2nd set 6-1 for no good reason

it's been a conspiracy all day long :mad:

knight_ley
omc. this is ridiculous.

knight_ley
02-16-2007, 05:53 AM
I had wanted to stay up and party in this thread tonight, but I have to wake up in six hours to babysit my niece before going to work. Have a good time tonight guys... whenever he gets on court. :rolleyes:

xoxo:kiss:

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 05:56 AM
this is gonna be 11-9 in the third set Tiebreak, just watch.

:banghead:

Jlee
02-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Oh don't jinx it...:scared:

snaillyyy
02-16-2007, 06:17 AM
I wanted to sleep :( but oh no I can't, so I decide to have a look at the score and OMG he hasn't even started yet!!

2moretogo
02-16-2007, 06:45 AM
But he looks good in all black.

Same is in all white, btw. Its kind of weird, like they had it planned.

Sofyaxo
02-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Finally they are playing.

Andy's in all black?

Jlee
02-16-2007, 06:46 AM
lol, that's odd.

I'm just glad the match has started...

shruti
02-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Woah just one point separates them. :unsure:

EDIT: 3 now. Break already!

GollyLou
02-16-2007, 07:52 AM
I panicked when I woke up this morning where I couldn't find if Andy had won his match and the I clicked on the livescores just in case he was still playing.

Which I shouldn't have done, because I'm now watching Andy play a tiebreak through livescores and that's never calming. :lol:

Sofyaxo
02-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Boo TB :ras:

Yay a TB!!!!

snaillyyy
02-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Thank you Andy for winning another TB and not taking this to 3 sets :lol:

J. Corwin
02-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Andy, I don't know if that match was worthy of an autograph for Sam!

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 08:00 AM
because i'm such a nice girl when i'm lying in bed half asleep.... :)

arodfanpe666o
I'm glad he wins tie-breakers...

snaillyyy
Jace, I'm just glad it's over! and mad because I can't go back to sleep @:

2moretogo
02-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Can I say it? Naw, it aint right, but "I tole y'all so!!"

Seriously, Andy needs to go somewhere and work on the first serve it was scarwy!

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Seriously, Andy needs to go somewhere and work on the first serve it was scarwy!What do you mean? :unsure: was it at all a good match or just serve serve serve?

2moretogo
02-16-2007, 08:08 AM
At points it was just serve, serve, serve. Like the end of the 1st set aft. he broke Sam. But @ the beginning, and all through the second, he was missing his first serve. A lot. It didn't make a difference bec. Sam would make an unforced error. TB was better though.

I think Andy knew I was trying to do commentary, and was like, I need to give Esha time to update. The last point.

2moretogo
02-16-2007, 08:09 AM
I have to hand it to you guys. You were right, Sam is quality. He just couldn't take advantage of his opportunities. Andy played really well too. I am happy that he won.

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 08:12 AM
At points it was just serve, serve, serve. Like the end of the 1st set aft. he broke Sam. But @ the beginning, and all through the second, he was missing his first serve. A lot. It didn't make a difference bec. Sam would make an unforced error. TB was better though.

I think Andy knew I was trying to do commentary, and was like, I need to give Esha time to update. The last point.hahahaha. Thanks for that :) I figured it would be the kind of match were Andy's experience should help him on the bigger points and that'd be the difference. At least missing his first serve is something he can fix. He'll need to for tomorrow and beyond for sure. Good that he got the 1st serves in in the TB though, very good sign indeed.
I have to hand it to you guys. You were right, Sam is quality. He just couldn't take advantage of his opportunities. Andy played really well too. I am happy that he won.He really is quality, as a person too. Glad to hear they both played well. i knew Sam would post, and I'm glad he did :)

now Andy can make Spadea feel his age and i will get it live on zee teeveee

Your name is Esha! you have a name! :lol:

okkkkayyyyyyy time for me to go to sleep :o Thanks for your insights :hug:

2moretogo
02-16-2007, 08:14 AM
I get it live too!!! Though the thought of watching Andy v. Spadea makes me want sleep. Think I'll go to bed too. Night everyone!

J. Corwin
02-16-2007, 08:16 AM
Jace, I'm just glad it's over! and mad because I can't go back to sleep @:

he won, so at least there will be no nightmares :lol:

at least go rest :hug:

blosson
02-16-2007, 08:35 AM
What a relief. Andy's been completely out-aced in this match. :o

Jade Fox
02-16-2007, 08:55 AM
What a relief. Andy's been completely out-aced in this match. :o

I'm not too fussed over that. Andy's won matches where he's been outaced before.

I'm just glad that A) He won in straight sets and B) His tiebreak winning streak continues. Keep it up Andy!:rocker2:

partygirl
02-16-2007, 09:26 AM
now Andy can make Spadea feel his age and i will get it live on zee teeveee

what station is it being shown on in the area?
i think it was the same one i used to watch it on in the Bay area or similar
but i don't remember which one that was.:eek::p

arodfanpe666o
02-16-2007, 09:45 AM
but i don't remember which one that was.:eek::p

Nice avatar :) :P

Tytta!.
02-16-2007, 11:43 AM
because James is nobody's boss these days :help:

:help: :tape:

I really wouldn't consider navy blue to be color :sobbing:

:spit:

I can't even picture him in anything but a white or black shirt anymore. The tan and other color are so far out of my brain now.

I know right? :sad:

Why did they put Safin on before Andy!? :banghead:

Because they hate us.

I think Andy knew I was trying to do commentary, and was like, I need to give Esha time to update. The last point.

Hahaha. Thanks for letting us know. :smooch:

knight_ley
02-16-2007, 12:59 PM

now Andy can make Spadea feel his age and i will get it live on zee teeveee:
What channel is it on? ( Please don't say TTC :lol: )

Golfnduck
02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Two good wins by Andy. I hope he takes care of Vinnay Ice tonight. I'll probably up tonight for it.

Caren
02-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Go Andy :worship:

I get the Q-finals on tv tonight but i doubt it'll be Andy they'll show which sucks. Can't believe how late that match finished :eek:

Tytta!.
02-16-2007, 02:10 PM
So glad I didn't stay up to follow it. :lol:

Andy the boss. :yeah:

tennis lover
02-16-2007, 03:11 PM
:woohoo: another straight sets win and another tie-break won! :eek: :yeah: I might be going to a party tonight so I'll probably end up coming on here to follow the live scores afterwards! :o
:sobbing: I have a funny feeling it's never going to happen...:awww:

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 03:41 PM
but i don't remember which one that was.:eek::psee below ;) I'm just talking about today, though. The Semis and Final are on FSN Bay Area, i think FSN West (what we get) shows the final on Monday but TTC shows it all on Monday and Tuesday :rolleyes:

What channel is it on? ( Please don't say TTC :lol: )ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.... okay, then I won't..... :sobbing:..... :tape: :bolt:

knight_ley
02-16-2007, 03:44 PM
:lol: Damn Comcast! They promised me March at least..... Let's hope they stick to their word. :p

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh, and i just want to say. I don't think being out-aced matters. Andy killed it on his 2nd serve and that is often a very important statistic (especially since it sounds like his first serve wasn't working)...so yeah, who cares? Mardy out-aced him at the AO, too ;)

tangerine_dream
02-16-2007, 04:18 PM
I open this thread and the first post I see is:

MARAT YOU HAVE LOST A FAN FOR THE TIME BEING :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I got worried. I thought Marat had called somebody a "fucking prick" or something. :scared:

But it turns out he just lost the second set which prevented Andy from starting his own match before 3:00am EST. :lol:

Glad I slept through it. Glad Andy won in straights, with a TB. Glad it wasn't a beatdown for Sam. :cool:

Oh, and i just want to say. I don't think being out-aced matters.
It doesn't.The only people who care so much about Andy being out-aced are the anti-fans in GM who always start threads about him. :p

merce
02-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Oh, and i just want to say. I don't think being out-aced matters. Andy killed it on his 2nd serve and that is often a very important statistic (especially since it sounds like his first serve wasn't working)...so yeah, who cares? Mardy out-aced him at the AO, too ;)exactly :cool:

nice avatar :) :awww:

blosson
02-16-2007, 06:06 PM
The aces aren't important, it's just ironic that every other average player is out-acing him these days considering he's so well known for his serve. He's clearly not only serve anymore. ;)

Jade Fox
02-16-2007, 06:07 PM
He's clearly not only serve anymore. ;)

Definitely. Of course we knew that before everyone else;) .

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 06:07 PM
The aces aren't important, it's just ironic that every other average player is out-acing him these days considering he's so well known for his serve. He's clearly not only serve anymore. ;)sometimes the stats don't tell the whole story, though. like, against berdych, he was out-aced, but he had tons more service winners. so who cares if the guy is getting a piece of racquet or something on it, just as good as an ace :cool:

Tytta!.
02-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Absolutely.

tangerine_dream
02-16-2007, 06:40 PM
The aces aren't important, it's just ironic that every other average player is out-acing him these days considering he's so well known for his serve.
I know, but the fact many players out-ace him has nothing to do with his own serve and everything to do with his inability to read other players' serves and his weak ROS.

From TR.net. Cronin says Roddick could be back at No. 2 come Wimbledon. :cool:

http://www.tennisreporters.net/spadea_021607_c.html
If Roger Federer hadn’t been dominating the tour for the past three and a half years, how many more Slams would Andy Roddick have won? Possibly three to four, if you are willing to grant him two Wimbledon’s another US Open and Aussie Open. "It's impossible not to have that thought cross your mind," Roddick said. "But you've got to play the hand you're dealt. I don't really obsess about it, but you start thinking, 'Okay, you've lost to him six times in the semis or further at majors - couple of Wimbledon finals where you're playing well, a Wimbledon semi where you're playing well.' No, I've never thought about it (Laughing)."

Roddick says that he has to keep his mind on more pressing tasks, which essentially is to re-insert himself as the world No. 2. In his 6-4, 7-6 (3) victory over US teen Sam Querrey, he showed flashes of brilliant form, but his transition game and his return of serve is still sporadic. Both elements have certainly improved, but the direction of his approach shots and the types of returns he’s choosing is still a mixed bag. Querrey is a big server, but not a great one and Roddick could have closed the match out sooner. Still, he was more solid from the baseline than his young foe, who can rip forehands and is a better mover than one would suspect a gangly 6-foot-6 teen to be. If Querrey can develop a more sure handed volley, move his backhand around more and play a little more patiently, he could end the year in the top 35. A ton of experience returning serve wouldn’t hurt, either.

"He’s willing to listen and realize he doesn’t know anything yet," said Roddick, who trains with Querrey. "He doesn’t act like he knows everything. Two year ago, he had an after-school game. I believe in his game. He’s got big weapons and he’s learning. He’s funny and has a big heart. But at this point, he’s probably a little more inconsistent than he’s like to be."

With the way that Rafael Nadal has been fading, No. 4 Roddick could grab the No. 2 spot before Wimbledon kicks off. He’s not defending major points until August and Nadal is defending a ton. It’s hard to see No. 3 Nikolay Davydenko making a major push and James Blake has points to defend at Las Vegas and Indian Wells. No. 5 Fernando Gonzalez is another man who could stream to No. 2
"I’m trying to keep the big picture in mind," Roddick said.

acoffeygirl
02-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Maybe someone (hint hint....she likes purple!!) could text me about the match tonight since I have a b-day party!?!?!?

Deboogle!.
02-16-2007, 07:13 PM
maybe ;)

acoffeygirl
02-16-2007, 09:28 PM
I would bat my eyelashes, but I don't think that will work with you! :lol:

J. Corwin
02-16-2007, 11:54 PM
That would work with me Amber, but you knew that ;)

I somehow totally forgot that I get both semis and the final live on TV :lol:
suh-WEET

tennis lover
02-17-2007, 12:58 AM
so long to go...:awww:

acoffeygirl
02-17-2007, 12:58 AM
That would work with me Amber, but you knew that ;)

I somehow totally forgot that I get both semis and the final live on TV :lol:
suh-WEET

I ALMOST....put "but that only works with Jace!", but I was in a hurry!

J. Corwin
02-17-2007, 01:35 AM
:haha::haha: