Mardy Fish (16) USA 4 4

Whats going on with Mardy?

~Agassi~
03-26-2004, 04:46 PM
yeah, what is up Mardy!?!??!

Anyway...glad he lost.:bounce:

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 04:47 PM
I don't know what's up with him :( He beat this guy 4 and 4 last year in Stockholm when he went on to win the title.

What's PMac gonna do now??

Mardy :banghead: :bigcry:

tangerine_dream
03-26-2004, 04:48 PM
*&^%$#@ Mardy :bigcry: :banghead: :mad:

And he thinks he can crash into the Top Ten and be a contendah? Playing like this he won't. :ras:

Fumus
03-26-2004, 04:50 PM
haha Mardy with a D, Genepri, or Blake stand no chance against my boy, Joachim Johannson....yea baby

Mardy is fluky, it's the lottery with what game he will come out with. One match he can beat the double A the next looses to some French Schmoe!

joeb_uk
03-26-2004, 04:51 PM
i dont think he will be a top ten player, not with the strength of the top 10 atm. unless something drastically changes, i dont think he will

Fumus
03-26-2004, 04:52 PM
He's top ten, his game just needs to mature, he sorta looking like where Andy was in 2002...he will wise, and play more consitant. I do like the Allen Iverson arm thing though...

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 05:47 PM
He's inconsistent, not flukey, although reading your next post I assume that is what you meant anyways.

Hopefully he, well, does something soon.

Kiara
03-26-2004, 05:51 PM
bah! :ras: I guess he didnt want to play Davis cup either...whatever will Pmac do now?

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 05:54 PM
bah! :ras: I guess he didnt want to play Davis cup either...whatever will Pmac do now?
Maybe he'll play Vince Spadea ;)

Kiara
03-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Rah!Go Vince Go! yeah I wouldnt be surprised if he chose Spadea over those two nitwits either.....neither would I be surprised if Spadea beats Oaf tomorrow...Vince rulz.

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Vince in there either. It'll probably depend on how he does against Marat.

Robby's probably not out of contention either...he had a very solid win in his 1st round match and if he beats Gaudio I'd say he has a good shot at it as well. Guess we'll find out soon!

Fumus
03-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Yea Go Robby the Rabbit, you're the galaxy's only hope....;)

TheBoiledEgg
03-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Fish got fried again :D :banana:
he got tangled up in the net

Julien reeled him in :yeah:

Fumus
03-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Fish got fried again :D :banana:
he got tangled up in the net

Julien reeled him in :yeah:

insightful... :rolleyes:

Havok
03-26-2004, 07:26 PM
its TBE, he likes these dumbass fish puns :yawn:

Fumus
03-26-2004, 07:27 PM
its TBE, he likes these dumbass fish puns :yawn:

ahhh...wow...he's witty like a fox!

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 09:27 PM
ahhh...wow...he's witty like a fox!
Not nearly as witty as you, apparently. Killer one liner, that....

I believe that the saying is sly as a fox, btw... not witty. But whatever.

michelleg
03-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Sorry, Fishfans, but a very hearty ALLEZ sent out to Julien.

I was at his match v. Morrison, he had to fight much harder for that win.

Allez Les Bleus! :)

Billabong
03-26-2004, 09:44 PM
:eek:!

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 10:21 PM
Here's what the Fishster had to say.

J. BENNETEAU/M. Fish
6-4, 6-4

An interview with:

MARDY FISH

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What do you make of this Davis Cup situation? We thought everybody would play, you'd be right there, you'd be ready. You've lost; James has lost.

MARDY FISH: I don't know. I mean, I think that Andy and the Bryans are on the team. That's all we know. That's all we know for sure.

I don't know. I mean, if you went by the rankings, I would be in that second spot. But I think, you know, you go by results, which is a smart thing to do. You know, this is my first bad result in a bunch of weeks now, since Australia. I mean, I made the finals, semis, Round of 16 in Indian Wells and beat a couple good players there.

So, you know, hopefully he won't look at just one match. I mean, it was windy out there. It was just kind of ‑‑ in my opinion, it really wasn't tennis. It was kind of just ‑‑ it was one of those days where you just kind of had to get through it. It's kind of clich e‑ic, but it was. Obviously, the other player has to deal with it, too. He dealt with it better than I did.

He had to come through qualifying, so he had a little practice in the wind. I got here Sunday. Maybe that was a little too early to get here. Maybe I wasn't ‑‑ maybe I was just like I was ready on Tuesday to play and not Friday, you know. Just really came out kind of flat‑footed and didn't play my best tennis.

Q. Did you feel like you got any kind of rhythm during the course of the match?

MARDY FISH: Not really. Whenever I felt like I would have some rhythm, if I played a good first point, then just kind of hit a serve in to my forehand, I'd miss like the next three in a row, you know. I just couldn't really quite put my finger on why. You know, I figured maybe it was because I wasn't moving my feet enough. I would try to move in to the return a little bit more. I mean, it was all pretty much on my returns, my return games were the worst.

Q. On a slow hard court at Delray Beach, how will that help your game? How will it hurt your game?

MARDY FISH: I think ‑‑ I don't know if it will hurt my game. I prefer a faster court. Doesn't mean that I can't play on a court like that. I think Indian Wells is pretty slow, here is pretty slow, too. These are both pretty slow hard court events.

I felt like I played well and I was playing well in practice. You know, just didn't happen for me today. Just didn't really work out.

But, I mean, you know, as far as the court to my game, you know, it's not my favorite surface, but it's something that I can still play on, you know. I can still come to the net with it. It's going to be windy. I'm going to go back to Tampa now and train there and hopefully get ready for Davis Cup and hopefully it will be pretty windy there, too, so I can get used to it a little bit.

Q. Is James also not playing doubles?

MARDY FISH: No.

Q. You have a practice partner?

MARDY FISH: Yeah, we get to practice together.

Q. How much more meaningful would it mean to you to be on the Davis Cup team, with the tie being in Delray?

MARDY FISH: It would be great. Close to home, close to where I grew up, a lot of family and a lot of friends that could be able to go, whereas some of the other places like Croatia and Slovakia, that was a little too far for them (smiling).

Yeah, it's close to home. It's somewhere where I've played well before. I've played well on that court before, and I'm looking forward to hopefully getting the opportunity.

Q. You're a young player. Do you have to develop a Plan B? There are going to be days when the wind blows and when you don't feel right and so forth.

MARDY FISH: Yeah, I mean, I think it's ‑‑ I think that's a good point. I mean, definitely that's something that I need to work on. When things aren't going my way ‑ not all the time things don't go certain players' ways, so you have to adjust.

I think I've gotten better at it. It's still something I need to work on.

As far as a "Plan B," I don't know. I mean, I have a game plan and I have to kind of stick to that game plan. I have to come to the net. I know that I can't really stay back and rally in the wind against players like I did today. I have to come to the net, and I kind of got away from my game plan a lot today and I think maybe I played Plan B today instead of trying to play my game, which is Plan A, which is to try to get to the net as much as I can.

It was tough. I was hesitant about coming in because of the wind and because it's tough to volley, but it's also tough to pass in the wind so...

Something that I can work on for sure.

Q. When you're down in the rankings and coming up, you have that sense of, "I have nothing to lose." Is it easier to stay with your game plan, have no fear about coming, because, "What the hell?" But as you get up into the Top 50, you start protecting your ranking; is that what lends to the loss of confidence?

MARDY FISH: I don't know if it's a loss of confidence. I mean, it's maybe just a brain cramp in that, you know, I'm just not thinking, not focusing.

As far as what you said about, yeah, if you're the underdog, it's a lot easier to play. That's something that I have to get used to where the majority of matches I'm playing now I'm the favorite. Being ranked 17 in the world now, there's only 16 guys that I won't be the favorite against. So I'm getting used to that.

I'm experiencing matches like this. I played a match like this in Indian Wells in the second round there, got a bye and I played Glenn Weiner in the first round, he was a qualifier. It's the same type of match ‑ Glenn playing well, winning his first round, winning two matches in qualifying, he won three matches in a row. He's obviously playing well. I'm kind of coming in to my first match of the tournament, trying to get my feet wet.

The first match, in my opinion, is always one of the toughest matches, just to get into the tournament. You know, I mean, it showed today that I was a little rusty, and the wind was tough to deal with.

Q. How do you get into the mentality of, "If I'm going to go down, I'm going to go down in flames with my best game here"?

MARDY FISH: It's tough, but, again, it's something you have to get used to. It takes a lot of experience to be in these types of situations.

Hopefully ‑‑ I want to be in these types of situations. I feel like I should beat a player like that today. We've played a bunch. We've played a bunch in Juniors and we played in Stockholm. I think that was the first time he won a set off me, let alone beat me.

It was one of those matches where I kind of go into the match, maybe I'm not as focused as I should be because I think maybe I'm just going to roll through this guy. He obviously played a great match. He had to.

So, I don't know...

Forgot what I was talking about (smiling).

J. Corwin
03-27-2004, 12:54 AM
Everyone's gonna have bad losses. If he gets picked for DC, he better play better.

WyveN
03-27-2004, 01:20 AM
I still think he will get picked unless Ginepri or Spadea really have a great tournament this week

azza
03-27-2004, 01:46 AM
Mardy was neva a contendah :ras:

Tennis Fool
03-27-2004, 02:23 AM
Breaking news,

PMac picks himself for the second singles spot!

"The way these guys are playing, even I have a shot to win a match," Pmac told reporters.

J. Corwin
03-27-2004, 02:45 AM
lmao TF

Although it would probably make more sense if the quote was: "The way these guys are playing, I think I can even do better."

Deboogle!.
03-27-2004, 03:14 AM
I still think he will get picked unless Ginepri or Spadea really have a great tournament this week

Yea, I agree. He has to make up the team by early next week, I think.

Domino
03-27-2004, 06:50 AM
haha Mardy with a D, Genepri, or Blake stand no chance against my boy, Joachim Johannson....yea baby

Mardy is fluky, it's the lottery with what game he will come out with. One match he can beat the double A the next looses to some French Schmoe!

Your boy lost to unharelded Juan Monaco. Flukey, maybe...

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 06:58 AM

Another one of your brilliant comments considering Joachim Johansson won't be playing in the singles in the Davis Cup and either Ginepri, Blake or Mardy won't be playing doubles so they won't be playing.

He lost big shit it happens, then again it's bad for him considering he won't be getting many points from now to after RG. Then again he doesn't have many to lose either.

Domino
03-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Meh, I kind of expect these kind of losses from him anyhow. Mardy needs a strong dose of belief in his own game, and stop worrying whenever he's at the baseline. Not like this is going to happen this year, but maybe in a couple of years. I know some people will not agree, but I still feel he is tactically smarter than Blake, Dent, or Ginepri, and that for this reason, he was the first of them to crack the top 20.

Deboogle!.
03-27-2004, 02:10 PM
I think Mardy is a better tennis player than Dent, Blake, or Ginepri... he just has an all-around better game than the rest of them and he was able to put that together during some bigger tournaments last year. Whether he's tactically smarter I don't know, but I see him as more talented.

Oh and I read an article that says the DC teams should be announced Monday, so I guess we shall find out soon. It was relatively amusing because it was about how most of the contenders for either team have done really badly at the Nasdaq-100 lol

Marine
03-27-2004, 03:43 PM
This man is a bastard ! I'm glad he lost !!!!!!!!!

During his match against Benneteau, he said to his clan: "I can't lose against the worse player of the draw...". Later, in the match, after have lost a point at the net, to his adversary: "I could have pierced your chest !".
Then, at the end, when he shook hands with Benneteau: "It's the last time you beat me."
(article of l'Equipe)

Very modest, very clever....

This man is a bastard ! I'm glad he lost !!!!!!!!! :)

Deboogle!.
03-27-2004, 04:15 PM
uhhhhhh I can't imagine Mardy saynig any of those things... either that or that's just a really poor translation

rassklovn
03-27-2004, 04:45 PM
uhhhhhh I can't imagine Mardy saynig any of those things... either that or that's just a really poor translation

I wouldn't be surprised at all Mardy saying something like that, and there are quite a few players who have said stuff just as bad as that on court.

For your information l'Equipe is a well respected newspaper and Marine could you post a link to the article please as I would like to read it myself and get a different translation so I can see it.

Fish has had problems with French players before I mean Julien Varlet and him had some aggro in a match, that was going to continue afterwards.

Marine
03-27-2004, 04:51 PM
You're right my english is very bad, I can write the french translation if it can helps you... :rolleyes:

Avant d'entrer sur le court, Benneteau misait sur une certaine présomption de l'Américain, peu réputé pour sa modestie. Il ne fut pas déçu...
On entendit Fish, au beau mileu du match, déclarer à son clan: " Je ne peux pas perdre contre le plus mauvais joueur du tableau !". Première erreur.
Puis, après avoir perdu un point au filet, il se tourna vers son adversaire pour lui lancer: "J'aurais pu te percer la poitrine !".
Enfin, quand battu, il serra la main de Julien Benneteau, ce ne fut pas en le félicitant, mais bien en lui affirmant: "C'est la dernière fois que tu me fais ça !". Pas sûr.

rassklovn
03-27-2004, 04:54 PM
I wasn't saying anything about your English Marine. I was just asking for the link to the story from l'Equipe.

Thanks for that I will get someone to translate it for me.

Deboogle!.
03-27-2004, 04:56 PM
I know what L'Equipe is, I wasn't saying it was lying, I was just saying I couldn't picture Mardy saying he was going to pierce someone's chest!!!!!!!!

Marine
03-27-2004, 05:14 PM
I was not saying about you Rassklovn. ;)

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Merci beaucoup Marine for that article and yes those things you posted were true even on the free translation service.

Before entering on the court, Benneteau misait on a certain presumption of the American, not very famous for its modesty. It was not disappointed...
One heard Fish, with beautiful the mileu of the match, to declare with its clan: "I cannot lose against the worst player of the table!". First error.

Then, after having lost a point with the net, it turned to its adversary for him to launch: "I could have bored you the chest!".
Lastly, when beaten, it tightened the hand of Julien Benneteau, it was not by congratulating it, but well while affirming to him: "It is the last time that you do that to me!". Not sure.

michelleg
03-27-2004, 11:17 PM
What a putz. Could he be any more the stereotypical ugly American?

Damn, I wish I was there so I could have jeered him.

Still cheering for young Julien :) Thanks to Marine for the l'Equipe quote and thanks to George for demystifying it!

Still sad I can't go tomorrow, but work beckons :(