Has Nadal lost it? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has Nadal lost it?

vogus
02-09-2007, 11:33 PM
it just seems like Nadal lost his swagger after Feds beat him in the Wimby final, and ever since then he hasn't been quite as mentally tough. I can't put my finger on it but he just doesn't seem to be the same competitor that he was. It'll be interesting to see if Nadal can ever dominate on clay again the way he did in '05 and '06. My guess is no, because with that grinding style of play, once you lose that mental edge, it doesn't ever fully come back. Hewitt is Exhibit A for that.

Snowwy
02-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Hewitt never got it back when he was back up to #2 or #3 right before Nadal took over #2?

guga2120
02-09-2007, 11:52 PM
yes, hes finished

El Legenda
02-09-2007, 11:56 PM
i would be suprised if he won 10 matches rest of the year.

yakuzaninja
02-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Nadal won't do a Coria and lose his clay aura.

I think Roger will finally get RG this year though.

vogus
02-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Hewitt never got it back when he was back up to #2 or #3 right before Nadal took over #2?

Hewitt was very good in '04 but missing something that he had in '00-'02. And i can tell you the exact match where Hewitt lost it - in the '02 USO semi against Agassi. Lleyton has never been quite the same player since that day.

of course i'm not saying Nadal is headed straight down the shitter. It's pretty obvious that he's going to be one of the best players for a few years to come. I'm just saying, during the first half of '06, including Wimby all the way to the final, Nadal was INVINCIBLE. He even had Feds back on his heels. And now, he looks - merely human. The way he folded mentally against Youzhniy at the USO blew my mind.

Johnny Groove
02-10-2007, 12:13 AM
he might as well retire now. Hes washed up at the old age of 20

Metis
02-10-2007, 12:22 AM
it just seems like Nadal lost his swagger after Feds beat him in the Wimby final, and ever since then he hasn't been quite as mentally tough. I can't put my finger on it but he just doesn't seem to be the same competitor that he was. It'll be interesting to see if Nadal can ever dominate on clay again the way he did in '05 and '06. My guess is no, because with that grinding style of play, once you lose that mental edge, it doesn't ever fully come back. Hewitt is Exhibit A for that.

Nah, it's just his continuously growing fay_moo_sass that has done him in. All he needs is a butt reduction to avoid further injuries... :p

Horatio Caine
02-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Yeah he's on his way down despite reaching the QF for the first time in AO :rolleyes:

Corey Feldman
02-10-2007, 12:43 AM
He's not lost it.... but his strut is gone now that fed has figured his game out.
he is still probably Fave to win the clay titles however.
but thats good, takes a bit of pressure of fed for once in the year ;)

atheneglaukopis
02-10-2007, 12:56 AM
He's not lost it.... but his strut is gone now that fed has figured his game out.
he is still probably Fave to win the clay titles however.
but thats good, takes a bit of pressure of fed for once in the year ;)Yeah, they can play the "He's the favorite, no he's the favorite" game again going into the FO. :)

Johnny Groove
02-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, they can play the "He's the favorite, no he's the favorite" game again going into the FO. :)

or the "I wanna be on top, no, I wanna be on top" game the night before :devil:

atheneglaukopis
02-10-2007, 01:26 AM
or the "I wanna be on top, no, I wanna be on top" game the night before :devil:It doesn't sound to me like they're arguing over who gets to be on top, more like on the bottom. :shrug: :p

Corey Feldman
02-10-2007, 01:41 AM
or sideways
:p:p

Johnny Groove
02-10-2007, 01:44 AM
It doesn't sound to me like they're arguing over who gets to be on top, more like on the bottom. :shrug: :p

i dunno. I think that any action they get together is good, barring the imminent collapse of their relationship due to Roger's sluttish behavior. :awww:

adee-gee
02-10-2007, 08:59 AM
i would be suprised if he won 10 matches rest of the year.
I'd say 5.

almouchie
02-10-2007, 09:23 AM
it is tooo early to count nadal out
the boy , man is 20 years old

is only in his 3rd/4th full year on tour

with a double grand slam to his name, & yes a finalist at wimbledon no less.
give the man a chance.
he needs to start schedulling his year better, to aviod burn out & fatigue, plus of course injuries.
come clay he will be back to his best, hopefully if he can shake the injury to his muscle
his mental attitude is his fortitude, & his bread & butter
he is nothing like hewitt, in that respect.
even at his prime , lleyton wasnt like that.
i hope he gets back to RG , because tennis needs him, he is that is left from stopping federer, dominating all
the game is too predictable, verging on the dull/boring

Mateya
02-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I think Nadal lost -or will loose soon- some of that spirit of his...
Cant imagine him winning one RG after another or every Rome and Montecarlo with his physich style of play...its just a matter of time when he´ll be wasted :)
It was beggining to show last year and I cant wait to see him in this year clay-court season :devil: Fed has a bigger chance of winning RG, thats for sure.
And his 60+ matches winning streak on clay :eek: it has to end this year...