Roger Federer is the Roland Garros Favourite [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger Federer is the Roland Garros Favourite

ezekiel
02-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I don't know about that , I still give the edge to Nadal unless his slump continues on clay. Anyways , if you are gonna bet you have to take Djokovic and how in the world are Murray, Gasquet, Almagro,Gonzalez, Robredo ahead of him :confused:

http://oddschecker.com/betting/mode/o/card/tennis-mensfrenchopen/odds/3562994x/sid/1147580

yakuzaninja
02-09-2007, 10:34 PM
What's Djokovic achieved to make him a grand slam contender? Nothing.

ezekiel
02-09-2007, 10:39 PM
he's shown he can play on clay, only 19 and played Rafa tough even injured last year and same thing with Coria the year before, 1 title on clay and one final . Much better than all the others listed above. I would put him top 5 favourite behind RF, RN, Davy, Nalby

R.Federer
02-09-2007, 10:55 PM
What's Djokovic achieved to make him a grand slam contender? Nothing.

Coming from me, a non-fan of Djokovic, I would say he has shown that he is a contender. If he didn't run into Fed, there is high chance he would have played his first slam SF this year. He has won 3 good tournaments. In matches he has lost to top players, in many occasions he has not been wiped off court.

The only thing my opinion is NOT based on are his claims of "being in control" two sets down to rafa in rg last year.... Certainly the guy gets full points for self belief.

R.Federer
02-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't know about that , I still give the edge to Nadal unless his slump continues on clay. Anyways , if you are gonna bet you have to take Djokovic and how in the world are Murray, Gasquet, Almagro,Gonzalez, Robredo ahead of him :confused:

http://oddschecker.com/betting/mode/o/card/tennis-mensfrenchopen/odds/3562994x/sid/1147580

Yes, as the clay season rolls along, these odds are probably not going to look as favorable to Federer any more. This has got more to do with rafa's form of late, than sudden revisions in Federer's clay prowess.
Let's see what the clay season brings.

€Stah
02-09-2007, 11:01 PM
If Djokovic is a slam contender then Roitman will win wimbledon

yakuzaninja
02-10-2007, 12:18 AM
he's shown he can play on clay, only 19 and played Rafa tough even injured last year and same thing with Coria the year before, 1 title on clay and one final . Much better than all the others listed above. I would put him top 5 favourite behind RF, RN, Davy, Nalby

I like him but I don't see RG being his best chance of a slam. Think more Australia or New York. And I don't see him beating Federer in a slam event either.

ezekiel
02-10-2007, 12:38 AM
I like him but I don't see RG being his best chance of a slam. Think more Australia or New York. And I don't see him beating Federer in a slam event either.

he won a set off Fed on clay (6-2) in MC when he was 18 :rolleyes: so his best chance to defeat him is clay but he is defintelly ballanced all court player , more so than other players of his generation

Corey Feldman
02-10-2007, 12:51 AM
If Djokovic is a slam contender then Roitman will win wimbledon:lol:

joeb_uk
02-10-2007, 04:14 PM
There are realistically the ONLY 2 contenders. I would bet my nutsacks on either two of those winning it.

buzz
02-10-2007, 04:39 PM
he won a set off Fed on clay (6-2) in MC when he was 18 :rolleyes: so his best chance to defeat him is clay but he is defintelly ballanced all court player , more so than other players of his generation

It's easier to win a set from federer when you're 18 and never played against him then when he thinks you might be a threat.

Snowwy
02-10-2007, 04:41 PM
It's easier to win a set from federer when you're 18 and never played against him then when he thinks you might be a threat.

Excellent Point!

joeb_uk
02-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Yes definately, and quite a few who have beaten him when young, have turned out to be "one hit wonders" and just get thrashed now.

Langers
02-10-2007, 04:42 PM
As long as Nadal is playing, he deserves to be the favourite.

jazar
02-10-2007, 09:04 PM
almagro with odds of 20-1 and 33-1. what the fuck? that gives him a better chance of winning than nalbandian

bobjoe66
02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
must be cause fed has the edge over nadal in the last few matches even though not on clay. bearing in mind nadal only had a slight advantage on clay they must reckon fed now has his number. also fed is on form, nadal's been on a slump (by his own standards) for a while now.

whoever is more sucessful at monte-carlo, rome and hamburg will be the fave going into RG

sykotique
02-10-2007, 10:12 PM
must be cause fed has the edge over nadal in the last few matches even though not on clay. bearing in mind nadal only had a slight advantage on clay they must reckon fed now has his number. also fed is on form, nadal's been on a slump (by his own standards) for a while now.

whoever is more sucessful at monte-carlo, rome and hamburg will be the fave going into RG

I'm a Fed fan, but even I'd have to admit that Nadal has a little more than a "slight" advantage over Federer on clay. Nadal has been pretty much walking over the field on clay in the past 2 years and Fed, on very dry clay, came close but was still unable to defeat him, so don't expect that to change drastically, even with a dip in confidence. I do think Fed can beat Nadal on clay, but not necessarily with any regularity or consistency and due also in large part that Nadal has become all too injury prone at a very young age.

Sunset of Age
02-10-2007, 11:07 PM
I have to agree with you Sykotique - who's in fact the RG Favourite will be largely dependent on whether or not Rafa manages to stay injury-free during the upcoming clay season. His strain of injuries the past few months don't bode very well - but if he indeed manages to get back to 100% form again, I still give him the advantage above Roger.
We'll just have to wait and see.

Johnny Groove
02-10-2007, 11:14 PM
yes, lets make predictions about RG when neither have played a real clay match in 7 months

SaltoKlose
02-11-2007, 12:48 AM
How can you say Federer is favourite... wait till the clay court season starts...

Davydenko - Roland Garros Champion 2007 :D

2moretogo
02-11-2007, 12:53 AM
If Djokovic is a slam contender then Roitman will win wimbledon

:worship: So should I make my Wimbledon bet now? Better get it in early before the odds change.

There are realistically the ONLY 2 contenders. I would bet my nutsacks on either two of those winning it.

I would bet YOUR nutsacks too. Only bec., well I don't have any.

How can you say Federer is favourite... wait till the clay court season starts...

:confused: The voice of reason. :angel:

Fedex
02-11-2007, 01:29 AM
I have to say I disagree with Federer being the Roland Garros favorite. Nadal has never lost a match there, so he should be the favorite. He's earned that respect. Sure Nadal's in a bit of a slump at the moment, but I have a feeling that will be fixed once Nadal gets his feet back on the red stuff.
Besides, I'd rather have Federer be the underdog there. That way there's less pressure on him, and more on Nadal.

adee-gee
02-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Federer was favourite to beat Nadal at RG in 05 and 06. What happened again? :scratch:

vincayou
02-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Apart from the fact that Fed is ahead of Nadal, the odds seem logical given the few information we have

Il Primo Uomo
02-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Federer was favourite to beat Nadal at RG in 05 and 06. What happened again? :scratch:

It seems like someone lied to you!;)

Langers
02-11-2007, 02:18 AM
He will never win a Grand Slam. :yeah:

sykotique
02-11-2007, 02:59 AM

Well, maybe from an odds perspective as a world no. 1, but certainly not from any tennis fan's perspective, or at least any tennis fan with an idea of how the game is played and how much surface plays into the equation. Federer was probably given a slight advantage in 2005, considering Nadal had previously never played there and was only 19 (actually turned 19 that very same day), but Federer/Nadal was the blockbuster match everyone had been waiting for since the two had been drawn in the semis and it wasn't because Nadal had a positive head-to-head against Fed, it was because Nadal was a clay monster who was eating up every title on the red earth that he could get his hands on.

Nadal is and always has been a favourite against anyone he plays on clay...including Federer. Pretty much everyone accepts that.

SaltoKlose
02-11-2007, 03:45 AM
He will never win a Grand Slam. :yeah:

I hope not :p ... Its my dream.

CmonAussie
02-11-2007, 10:38 AM
##
If Nadal fails to win one of the clay AMS events [MC, Rome, Hamburg]~ then his confidence will surely be too low to go on & claim a 3-peat at the French!!!
Right now I`d say Nadal is still a slight favourite.

* Nadal [depending on clay AMS form]
* Federer
* Gonzalez
* Robredo
* Djokovic
* Ferrer
* Nalbandian
* Safin
Face it ~ there just aren`t that many contenders to win RG!

stebs
02-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't bet on sporting events but if I did I would definately take on Nadal at those odds. So long as Nadal continues his dominance on clay this spring we will only see the odds shorten, anyone looking to back Nadal should do so now.

Anyone who knows much about tennis should consider Nadal the favourite for RG.

scoobs
02-11-2007, 10:59 AM
15/8 odds for the double defending French Open champion who has never lost a match there, to win the title again?

They must be cuckoo.

Nadal is the favourite on clay until evidence tells us otherwise. He's still undefeated on it in 60 matches, for pity's sake.

SaltoKlose
02-11-2007, 11:48 AM
The clay court season is very unpredictable... has many surprises...

Just wait till the clay court season starts then decide who is favourite.....

bobjoe66
02-11-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm a Fed fan, but even I'd have to admit that Nadal has a little more than a "slight" advantage over Federer on clay. Nadal has been pretty much walking over the field on clay in the past 2 years and Fed, on very dry clay, came close but was still unable to defeat him, so don't expect that to change drastically, even with a dip in confidence. I do think Fed can beat Nadal on clay, but not necessarily with any regularity or consistency and due also in large part that Nadal has become all too injury prone at a very young age.

i meant most of the results have been very close, and now fed has a few victories those close results might fall in his favour.

i agree about the injury point, but its not really a point if nadal continues to get injured every other tournament. no good saying "a fully fit nadal would win" if he never is fully fit.

it has to be pretty equal at the moment.

kobulingam
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM

ChloeLove
02-12-2007, 03:07 AM
Odds are just numbers, anything can happen, and they don't necessarily reflect how capable a player may be of winning something.

ugotlobbed
02-12-2007, 06:11 AM
rudsedski is in there rofl

yomike
02-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Much as I hate too see the day, I believe this will be the year Federer will win the French and after that its bye bye ATP for me.

Allure
02-12-2007, 07:13 AM
Much as I hate too see the day, I believe this will be the year Federer will win the French and after that its bye bye ATP for me.

I take it you don't like Federer?:confused:

Fedex
02-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Federer might have been the slight favorite in 05, but I'm pretty sure Nadal was the heavy favorite in last year's final.

t0x
02-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Clay is a very unpredictable surface - those odds really are just numbers. Won't see any decent odds until after the first few weeks of the clay season.

We all know Nadal is near unstoppable on clay - but with the worrying injuries of late, and the fact that now Federer has notched up a few wins against him (granted not on clay, but the confidence may translate) I think putting Federer as the fave is a smart move at this minute. But it could all change very soon... some random person nearly always springs up and causes a suprise on the clay!

Johnny Groove
02-12-2007, 09:54 PM
15/8 odds for the double defending French Open champion who has never lost a match there, to win the title again?

They must be cuckoo.

Nadal is the favourite on clay until evidence tells us otherwise. He's still undefeated on it in 60 matches, for pity's sake.

62 ;)

and 15/8?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? ON NADAL ON CLAY?!?!?!?! :eek: they just want to give away money

DrJules
02-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Current betting odds reflect the number of injury issues suffered by Nadal and his poor form since Wimbledon July 2006

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
If anyone wants to bet on Rafa at RG I suggest they do it now!! Cos those odds are not gonna last if he starts the clay season off well.

Sunset of Age
02-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Current betting odds reflect the number of injury issues suffered by Nadal and his poor form since Wimbledon July 2006

I guess so, but I still expect Clay!Rafa to be a completely different player - one who's remained unbeated for 62 matches on that surface. For that reason alone he should be regarded as the favourite.

I'm waiting for this mutual "I'm not the favourite, HE is!" game between Rogi and Rafa to start off again very soon.
How many days till Dubai? ;)

Johnny Groove
02-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm waiting for this mutual "I'm not the favourite, HE is!" game between Rogi and Rafa to start off again very soon.
How many days till Dubai? ;)

2 weeks :drool:

Deivid23
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Odds are just numbers, anything can happen, and they don't necessarily reflect how capable a player may be of winning something.

Not necessarily but yes they do most of the times;)

Deivid23
02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Still looooong way to go to make a fair estimation, don´t hurry

Ophidian
02-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Still looooong way to go to make a fair estimation, don´t hurry

I agree fully. Check the odds in 3 months. I'm sure they will be alot different other than Federer and Nadal which I don't think will change that much.

Deivid23
02-12-2007, 10:50 PM
It´s absolutely useless to make an estimation before any AMS on clay has been played, I will bump this thread after Rome

Merton
02-12-2007, 11:59 PM
It is too early to take the odds seriously, since the markets are thin at this point. Small volume of transaction means that a small number of bettors can move the line easily. Last year I remember that Roger was the early favourite but the market shifted after the Dubai final.

shotgun
02-13-2007, 12:09 AM

:o

In 2005, yes, in 2006, no.

Corey Feldman
02-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Fed has figured him out by now...
3 wins in a row (and yes im counting that Seoul Exho since every ducktard counts that Kooyong match lately)

Rafa's arse will be in a sling by the time fed gets him at RG, IF buttzilla even reaches the final that is.

guga2120
02-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Fed has figured him out by now...
3 wins in a row (and yes im counting that Seoul Exho since every ducktard counts that Kooyong match lately)

Rafa's arse will be in a sling by the time fed gets him at RG, IF buttzilla even reaches the final that is.

your right about Nadal being hurt which seems VERY possible, but lets see Federer win any match against Nadal on clay before hes the favorite at Roland Garros.

Veronique
02-13-2007, 05:47 AM
You do your betting! I'm busy reliving RG06 final.;-)

The_Nadal_effect
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Nadal rocks! No one rules him out.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-13-2007, 02:26 PM
You do your betting! I'm busy reliving RG06 final.;-)
Yeah what a match!

mtw
02-13-2007, 02:38 PM
And maybe another player will win RG in this year. Probably G. Coria or D. Nalbandian or F. Gonzalez. It is very sorry to say it, but it is very boring, when we see Roger in every final. Rafael Nadal lost his position. I don't know, wheather he will play in final in this year. Very hard to say.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-13-2007, 02:46 PM
And maybe another player will win RG in this year. Probably G. Coria or D. Nalbandian or F. Gonzalez. It is very sorry to say it, but it is very boring, when we see Roger in every final. Rafael Nadal lost his position. I don't know, wheather he will play in final in this year. Very hard to say.
Well yeah I agree, it would be good to see Coria win RG.

Monteque
02-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Well yeah I agree, it would be good to see Coria win RG.

but it's like trying to see the sun without sunglasses......:devil:

Eden
02-14-2007, 04:43 PM
It's much to early to make any predictions about Roland Garros yet. So much can happen until then and we should just wait what the clay season will bring.
Regarding to Rafas winning streak on clay and especially his performances in Best of 5 matches on this surface he will be the favourite, provided that he is 100% fit.

adee-gee
02-14-2007, 04:47 PM
:o

In 2005, yes, in 2006, no.
He was at the bookies :shrug:

R.Federer
02-14-2007, 08:16 PM
He was at the bookies :shrug:

Yes I was going to post the same thing. Even after the MC and Rome finals were done and over with, Federer was the odds on favorite by a narrow margin for the French title.

Those bookies. Fedtards. :D