.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Judio
03-26-2004, 11:01 AM

jtipson
03-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks Judio. Pity no coverage on Sunday.

jtipson
03-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Ok, thanks, I'll get my friend to set the video :)

Sjengster
03-26-2004, 04:01 PM
I don't know why it starts an hour later than it did last year, but I really can't complain... that new scoring graphic they have in the corner is rubbish, though. Tennis scores are meant to be read vertically, not horizontally.

tangerine_dream
03-26-2004, 04:07 PM
Which do you guys like better, SkySports or Eurosport?

Sjengster
03-26-2004, 04:11 PM
Oh, got to be Sky - everything's much slicker, they have quite expensive graphics, a studio (horribly tacky, but never mind) and their coverage is in neat, organised blocks, about six to eight hours, with interactive coverage of a couple of outside courts in the early rounds. They cover the Masters Series, the US Open and the Davis Cup (they follow the progress of one country, this year the US), while Eurosport's coverage is rather piecemeal; they do a great job following the AO and RG, but apart from that only have sporadic coverage of optional events here and there. It's safe to say they show far more WTA than ATP. Eurosport is best during the indoor season when they cover events like Vienna, Basel, St. Petersburg etc.

joeb_uk
03-26-2004, 04:21 PM
cant wait for hamburg, monte carlo and rome :D

Frooty_Bazooty
03-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Which do you guys like better, SkySports or Eurosport?

Absolutely no competition. Eurosport is a million times better. Sky have a lot of tournaments but their commentators are absolutely atrocious and Sky on the whole is just pure evil. meanwhile the commentators for eurosport are probably the best in the world, Freux McMillan and the other one whose name i cant remember at this very moment. also they have year round coverage every week unlike sky whose coverage is sporadic and confined to the less important sky sports channels.

also eurosport shows the masters cup, RG and AO and also they show womens tennis, sky shows absolutely no womens tennis

joeb_uk
03-26-2004, 06:08 PM
something that i like about our coverage is commentators. i bought some matches on dvd and they are from american tv and i cant stand the commentators, i mean who the fuck calls a claycourt player a dirtballer?

TheBoiledEgg
03-26-2004, 06:42 PM
I don't know why it starts an hour later than it did last year, but I really can't complain... that new scoring graphic they have in the corner is rubbish, though. Tennis scores are meant to be read vertically, not horizontally.

Starts later cos we put our clocks back this weekend
and US dont put theirs back for another week. so 6 hours time diff.

Last yr the Miami event was a week earlier so time diff was still 5 hours ;)

Thanx Judio for the great lists :)
Monte Carlo.... cant they start 1 hour later :mad:
i dont get home till 10ish :o

Chris Seahorse
03-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Absolutely no competition. Eurosport is a million times better. Sky have a lot of tournaments but their commentators are absolutely atrocious and Sky on the whole is just pure evil. meanwhile the commentators for eurosport are probably the best in the world, Freux McMillan and the other one whose name i cant remember at this very moment. also they have year round coverage every week unlike sky whose coverage is sporadic and confined to the less important sky sports channels.

also eurosport shows the masters cup, RG and AO and also they show womens tennis, sky shows absolutely no womens tennis

I agree 100% with Frooty. I HATE MURDOCH!!! :mad: His papers in this country are disgustingly rightwing nationalistic anti-immigration crap!!! As for Sky Sports, 90% of it's tennis coverage is relegated to Sky Sports Extra, a channel that is not available on cable and is only available to those who have Sky Digital. I am not among them so I get virtually none of Sky's coverage. The comment's Frooty made about the commentator's was also spot on. Frew McMillan, is brilliant and knows what he's talking about. Sky's coverage basically consists of failed english players of which only Mark Petchey has anything at all interesting to say. Sky Sports is fine if you are a football or golf fan but tennis fans are treated by Sky with utter comtempt.

TheBoiledEgg
03-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Chris.... you got NTL Cable ??
i got that and its on Ch 950 :)

I prefer Eurosport commentators too
but Sky's coverage is fine as well.

Chris Seahorse
03-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Yes Boiled Egg. Ive got NTL Cable. But don't have anything like that many channels. I think you must have NTL Cable DIGITAL. I have NTL Cable CABLE :lol: . But this is VERY interest information. I was unaware their digital service had SSX. I will have to call them to upgrade to digital if this is true. I want very much to see the 3 master Clay events. Thanks very much for this info Egg. But I still hate Murdoch :D

TheBoiledEgg
03-26-2004, 07:29 PM
cable cable :o
SSX was added last Sep but it dont have interactive though
still its better than nothing.

joeb_uk
03-26-2004, 08:57 PM
haha yeah barry mcowan, or however you spell it makes me laugh. im not a tennis brain, and some of the stuff he says i laugh at. im not that clued up about the game, but some of the stuff he says i know is crap

Sjengster
03-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Starts later cos we put our clocks back this weekend
and US dont put theirs back for another week. so 6 hours time diff.

Last yr the Miami event was a week earlier so time diff was still 5 hours ;)

Ah, I see... well, you didn't expect me to remember that, did you? ;)

I agree that most Sky commentators are hopeless, but there's something about Chris Bailey that is so inane that he's just compelling, you keep wondering what low-brow comment he'll come up with next. And I never understand the criticism of "failed journeymen" telling us about tennis; they're obviously better qualified to talk about it than people who have never played the game professionally, and you're hardly likely to get the all-time greats on TV on a regular basis, are you?

Frew McMillan's terrific on Eurosport, but he too can be surrounded by stupidity - the incredibly theatrical commentator who started exaggerating and became Simon Reed, the "Ah ha ha ha ha ha!"-uttering Chris Bradnam, and so forth... and at least on Sky, when they schedule tennis at a certain time you know it'll be there, unlike the constant chopping and changing of start times that you get on Eurosport.

Sjengster
03-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Barry Cowan, referring to a cross-court forehand winner from Srichaphan in the first round of Indian Wells last year: "That's undoubtably [sic] one of the hardest shits - shots - you'll see in tennis." Thank God it was a highlights programme and not the main broadcast.

Chris Seahorse
03-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Frew McMillan's terrific on Eurosport, but he too can be surrounded by stupidity - the incredibly theatrical commentator who started exaggerating and became Simon Reed, the "Ah ha ha ha ha ha!"-uttering Chris Bradnam, and so forth...

Sjengster, you do have a great skill in describing people's mannerisms. :worship: I can only agree with, not just your very amusing comments on Reed and Bradnam, but also your assessments of the sky broadcasters as well.

Action Jackson
03-27-2004, 03:47 PM
They are better than the American commentators.

joeb_uk
03-27-2004, 04:23 PM
yeah, as i mentioned i would prefer the english commentators to american

joeb_uk
03-30-2004, 07:58 AM
who knows ;) what happened?

TheBoiledEgg
03-30-2004, 01:35 PM
they did stay on for Agassi but i left pretty soon as he was kicking Max :(

So i think we'll get Duckboy at 3
hopefully we'll see a bit of Carlos too