How important is Davis cup???? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How important is Davis cup????

supertommyhaas
02-09-2007, 02:19 AM
I just want other posters opinions on how important Davis cup is??? And where does it rank it terms of importance??? Obviouslly the Grand Slams are more Important!!! Is it more important as the Masters series events??? Proabably not. What are your views???

oscar_2424
02-09-2007, 02:20 AM
very important:)

*Viva Chile*
02-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Depends in what country do you live I think

In Chile is very important, much as a grand slam IMO, but can see in this board that in another countries *cough* Switzerland *cough* is less important than a MM event :p

TMJordan
02-09-2007, 02:24 AM

In Chile is very important, much as a grand slam IMO, but can see in this board that in another countries *cough* Switzerland *cough* is less important than a MM event :p

Marat or Nico, who wins? :p

*Viva Chile*
02-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Marat or Nico, who wins? :p

tennis wins!!! :p

I'll be cheer for my country, so I expect Nico wins this time ;)

TMJordan
02-09-2007, 02:30 AM
tennis wins!!! :p

I'll be cheer for my country, so I expect Nico wins this time ;)

Thats true, should be a great match, very passionate, but I think this may be the only match Russia can win.

Well I am not sure about the doubles, but I would say big advantage for Chile, Igor will lose to Fena and Nico so Marat will have to become the incredible hulk for Russia to win. :p

Mistaflava
02-09-2007, 02:30 AM
I hope Chile shocks everyone and wins...them or Argentina. Would be nice to see certain people shut up after a big upset.

TMJordan
02-09-2007, 02:33 AM
I hope Chile shocks everyone and wins...them or Argentina. Would be nice to see certain people shut up after a big upset.

I dont think either winning would be a big upset, Flava, Argentina is the favorite and Chile is not far behind. (at pinny at least :p)

Mistaflava
02-09-2007, 02:36 AM
I dont think either winning would be a big upset, Flava, Argentina is the favorite and Chile is not far behind. (at pinny at least :p)

You're right but by MTF standards neither apparently has a chance...

megadeth
02-09-2007, 03:29 AM
davis cup obviously isn't that important to most of the top seeds. even during andre and pete's time, they had to be "bribed" by the USTA into riding a concorde (or is it a private jet?) to play in one round.

which leads me to another question, is it something that future legends would care about to have in their resume? (e.g. federer?)

aussie_fan
02-09-2007, 05:29 AM
As another person said, it matter on which country you come from. It's really important here in australia because we seem to have tradition with it but there are other countries who don't care.

Action Jackson
02-09-2007, 05:32 AM
Sweden, Argentina, France, Chile, Croatia and Australia it's highly regarded as for the rest of the nations it swings from thinking that winning Futures level events are better or indifference.

betterthanhenman
02-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Change the scheduling and you have a better chance of having it recognised and appreciated for what is should be.....

The Superbowl of the tennis world!

jazar
02-09-2007, 06:38 AM
it is very important, but because of scheduling and everyone wanting to make money it has been shunted down the pecking order a bit

Andre♥
02-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I rate the Davis Cup final higher than any other tennis match in the whole year.

It's different. The crowd supports the team like in a football game, there is the coach in the bench, there is no tanking. It's different.

Il Primo Uomo
02-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I really really don't care about. French team is full of chokers and doesn't make me dream, at all!

Sandra
02-09-2007, 09:20 AM
It's the most important for Romanians, cause we usually don't do good in GSs and AMSs but we've been in the World Group for quite a few years in a row, and even managed a qf two years ago.

I was really pleasently surprised when last year, we had to play Korea to remain in the World Group and the stands were full and everyone was cheering so loud :eek: :worship:

Davis Cup :rocker2:

bokehlicious
02-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't give a damn...

Ariadne
02-09-2007, 10:11 AM
...in another countries *cough* Switzerland *cough* is less important than a MM event :p

Yeah...pretty much. :yeah:

Jadranka
02-09-2007, 10:34 AM
For Croatia very :)

Chileno
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
There is nothing like a Davis Cup match. Like someone else mentioned, the atmosphere of these games is only comparable to that of a football stadium, beats the opera environment of Federer GS finals by a mile.

Truc
02-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Is it more important as the Masters series events??? Proabably not.Definitely more important than the Masters Series event for me.

Deathless Mortal
02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
It's very important here in Croatia, one more hour till the beginning Haas-Ancic :D

Action Jackson
09-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Answer is still the same as before, it depends on what country you are from.

Some places have a great Davis Cup tradition like the ones I mentioned earlier and then there are others who don't give a fuck and think it's lower than Futures 30 qualifying.

jcempire
09-22-2007, 07:23 PM
very important:)

That was nothing.

Allure
09-22-2007, 07:37 PM
It's not important to me. I would put it behind a mm event. But for the US team, it's obviously very important. Andy Roddick always mention how he would always play if they asked him to, etc. Didn't someone say that he felt DC is equally as important as slams?

FedFan_2007
09-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Nope. Slams > Masters Cup > Masters Series > ISG > IS > MM > ITF > Davis Cup

Bad Religion
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Fedtards saying Davis Cup is not important :haha: .... never in doubt

Roland Garros shouln't be important either using the Fedtard "logic" because Federer will never win Roland Garros

The "GOAT" without Davis Cup and RG , that is not good eh

Allure
09-22-2007, 08:13 PM

Roland Garros shouln't be important either , Federer will never win Roland Garros

So you can predict the future. How do you know he won't win DC or RG? At least he doesn't win only slam like some of your favorites. Funny you call Roger a clown yet your faves accomplished less than him. :lol:

Peoples
09-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Could care less :)

Marek.
09-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Roland Garros shouln't be important either using the Fedtard "logic" because Federer will never win Roland Garros

Never in doubt

FedFan_2007
09-22-2007, 08:31 PM
DC not important. French Open is. Behold the power of my logic.

Marek.
09-22-2007, 09:19 PM
DC not important. French Open is. Behold the power of my logic.

Forgot to log in as RFK again, didn't you? :D

*Viva Chile*
09-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Depends in which country do you live, for chileans is almost as important as the results in grand slams. ;)

EDIT: I don't remember have posted here before :spit:

MariaV
09-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Forgot to log in as RFK again, didn't you? :D

:yeah: :haha: :rolls:

cobalt60
09-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I love Davis Cup more for the atmosphere and the "team" scenerio. Personally I could care less who wins it. I tend to have my favs but if they lose there is always next year.

FedFan_2007
09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
:yeah: :haha: :rolls:

I told you before I'm not RFK, despite my overuse of Sparta and displays of "logic". :rolleyes:

cobalt60
09-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Depends in which country do you live, for chileans is almost as important as the results in grand slams. ;)

EDIT: I don't remember have posted here before :spit:

Well at least you did not disagree with yourself;)

gogogirl
09-22-2007, 09:53 PM
All,

I think it is as important as the ones playing and coaching feel it is. It has always been important in some factions, and especially, in the US. The Aussie fans also seem to think it is on the same scale, and most likely other nations.

One thing, I've thought about before and again whilst watching the matches on TV last nite is that every point is liable to be scrutinized and could be chalked up to be a life or death type one. LOL! Every point is important. The commentators here in the US had something to say about nearly every point, i.e., the impact it may have on the game, set or match.

The Pim-Pim/Roddick match was something else. Both of them were serving huge. Needless to say, the first two sets could have gone either way if not for Roddick's coming out on top by playing them tighter than Pim. I've often wondered who are the better players that bear down on every point played.

Roddick won that bet on yesterday. In the tiebreak, he rose to the occasion a little better. He was quoted saying that this year, he had a little more experience than Pim in tiebreaks - so may haps that gave him an edge. Probably. But I sometimes attribute luck and the ability to bear down during some points as it pertains to the final result. I think Justine Henin is great at bearing down during the important points, and this is where she seems to hold an edge. Roger and Nadal are like that.

I think it is an interesting concept to try to understand where talent, luck and errors meet. Pim-Pim has loads of talent. Yet, because Andy won the match on yesterday, it could lend some to think, he has more. And that because it was DC, he wanted it more. But I don't think that is totally true. I think talent, skill, luck, fate, errors and winners all come into play in any given match. At another time and place and in another match, Pim could have had everything going his way and could have won.

Anyway, DC should not go away. I agree the format and timeliness of it could be altered, but all in all, I think it is good for tennis.

A question I have is, does anyone think there will ever come the day where the teams play for money and not just for their country?

lazyman
09-22-2007, 10:12 PM
I just want other posters opinions on how important Davis cup is??? And where does it rank it terms of importance??? Obviouslly the Grand Slams are more Important!!! Is it more important as the Masters series events??? Proabably not. What are your views???

ur aussie and u dont even know how important it is. far out. its taken as seriously and importantly as the slams here

jayjay
09-22-2007, 10:17 PM
A question I have is, does anyone think there will ever come the day where the teams play for money and not just for their country?

That already happens.

jayjay
09-22-2007, 10:22 PM

You cannot compare because the ATP tour is about what you as an individual do for yourself. Davis Cup is about a team ethic. The team is made of individuals who play, possibly inspite of each other, for one common goal.

Every individual will have a different opinion that's based on many factors, including where they come from and the historical importance of Davis Cup and/or international competition in sport across the board.

For me, Davis Cup is hugely important (and I spit on those who think it isn't ;) ). I'd rather Argentina won the Davis Cup than 4 Argentines to split each Slam over the year (if I had to choose). As it happens, we'll take both. :D

rwn
09-22-2007, 11:03 PM
It's incredibly important. Look at all the respect Ljubicic has gotten since he almost singlehandedly won the Davis Cup. Everybody now believes he is a great player. That shows you how important the Davis Cup is compared to the slams.

leng jai
09-22-2007, 11:57 PM
DC is up there with the Slams with same nations eg. Australia.

Alex999
09-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Gosh what a question. DC is very important. I wish we in Canada had better players so we can compete in DC (World Group).

The Freak
09-23-2007, 12:16 AM
It's extremely important, to me at least.