Why are the DC courts so abnormal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why are the DC courts so abnormal?

Johnny Groove
02-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Honestly, does anyone play w/ hard courts or clay anymore? :o

it always seems like there is a new surface to play on with some combination of a low bounce, a high bounce, a back bounce, a rubber floor, a ground up tire surface, an ice court, etc. etc.

Like the ESP-SUI tie. I hear the court has WOOD underneath :rolleyes:

NicoFan
02-09-2007, 01:15 AM
:wavey: Blaze!

Chile has regular 'ol clay. :)

kobulingam
02-09-2007, 01:18 AM

it always seems like there is a new surface to play on with some combination of a low bounce, a high bounce, a back bounce, a rubber floor, a ground up tire surface, an ice court, etc. etc.

Say Team A has a bunch of slow court players, and Team B has a bunch of faster court players.

If Team A gets to pick the surface, they'll try to find the slowest damn surface they can find. If Team A gets to pick, they'll try to find the fastest damn surface possible.

Since Hardcourt is neither the slowest nor the fastest, it's often not picked (why pick Hardcourt when you can find a faster indoor carpet surface?).

Johnny Groove
02-09-2007, 01:19 AM

:kiss: :ras: ;)

Perhaps De Villiers will come up w/ a new type of court to play on? :tape:

ChinoRios4Ever
02-09-2007, 01:20 AM
homefield advantage.... that's all

Action Jackson
02-09-2007, 01:23 AM
Wood has been around for years. Basically what do you think Belarus play on? It's wooden floors that have been lackered to look good and give extra speed, then lay the minimal amount of carpet needed.

In other words they might as well use an ice rink.

Got the home advantage, then use it.

NicoFan
02-09-2007, 01:25 AM

:haha:

Bloodletting
02-09-2007, 01:29 AM
that's the beauty of DC, to play in hard and exotic conditions, against a harsh, loud and fanatic crowd.

I'm going a bit-off topic here, but If DC should be played on some neutral ground with some del boca vista golfalike grandpa's, it would be better to not play it all. No tension, no momentum, no mountain to climb - nothing.

I still remember watching those crazy series of Chile against India or Zimbabwe with the mad humidity of Calcuta or the loud bongoes of Narare. These kind of things bring some color other than the usual clap clap you see at the slams.

All these things are the ones that make it the most thrilling tennis competition in my humble opinion.

silverwhite
02-09-2007, 01:30 AM

He will call his Disney On Ice contractors.

Johnny Groove
02-09-2007, 01:30 AM
that's the beauty of DC, to play in hard and exotic conditions, against a harsh, loud and fanatic crowd.

I'm going a bit-off topic here, but If DC should be played on some neutral ground with some del boca vista golfalike grandpa's, it would be better to not play it all. No tension, no momentum, no mountain to climb - nothing.

I still remember watching those crazy series of Chile against India or Zimbabwe with the mad humidity of Calcuta or the loud bongoes of Narare. These kind of things bring some color other than the usual clap clap you see at the slams.

All these things are the ones that make it the most thrilling tennis competition in my humble opinion.

I agree, Davis Cup is great, but the variety of courts is hilaroius :lol:

Bloodletting
02-09-2007, 01:32 AM
About wood, here's a clash that made history:

http://www.daviscup.com/ties/tie.asp?tie=10003528

PLAIN wood. Wood. Just like a basketball court. No carpet at all. Talk about home advantage!

*Viva Chile*
02-09-2007, 01:32 AM

this court against Russia is anything but... regular?????... :o

I don't know if the tie must be played in that court or in the sand of La Serena beach :p

Action Jackson
02-09-2007, 01:33 AM

That view might get you labelled as a xenophobe or a dumb nationalist.

The fact that tennis needs to spread all over the world and it's a big cash cow for the ITF and neutral venues isn't going to help these federations.

Action Jackson
02-09-2007, 01:34 AM

PLAIN wood. Wood. Just like a basketball court. No carpet at all. Talk about home advantage!

Vamos Paraguay.

Bloodletting
02-09-2007, 01:35 AM
god bless that cow

*Viva Chile*
02-09-2007, 01:36 AM

Paris-Bercy has wood underneath if I'm not wrong.

atheneglaukopis
02-09-2007, 01:38 AM
To make everyone appreciate the rest of the year.

ChinoRios4Ever
02-09-2007, 01:39 AM

who other? Paraguay... the masters of the cheat, trap o these things...

see futbol soccer here in southamerica... :o

GonzoFed
02-09-2007, 02:25 AM
who other? Paraguay... the masters of the cheat, trap o these things...

see futbol soccer here in southamerica... :o

Damn 5-4!!!:mad: :mad:

GlennMirnyi
02-09-2007, 03:11 AM
ATP is doing everything to slow down the circuit, that's why they are streamlining courts. No surprise there.

zicofirol
02-09-2007, 03:45 AM

lol its always funny that rafa fans or spain fans get mad when they put them on fast courts, or the americans get mad when they put them on extra slow clay etc. etc. everyone stop the whining already, its been like this for years, its not like playing with wood undereath is unheard of, wawrinka is out anyway so now spain is 100% sure of winning, get over it...

ChinoRios4Ever
02-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Damn 5-4!!!:mad: :mad:

:mad::mad::mad:

since that i hate Olimpia, Sol de America, Nicolas Leoz and all the stupid paraguayan futbol soccer mafia...

what a cheaters :mad: :(

i didnt know that they use cheats also in tennis... i heard also that Francisco Gonzalez wasnt a paraguayan native player... they paid to him for playing for Paraguay in DC and play with Victor Pecci

Saumon
02-09-2007, 05:58 AM

from the sound it makes when the players run on the Bercy courts I think you're not wrong. Plus the court 1 is built on an ice-rink.:o

jazar
02-09-2007, 06:44 AM
an unusual court makes it more interesting

MariaV
02-09-2007, 07:34 AM
this court against Russia is anything but... regular?????... :o

I don't know if the tie must be played in that court or in the sand of La Serena beach :p

Uhh, is it really that bad? :eek: So Marat's not complaining for nothing? :o

scoobs
02-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Quite a few tournaments have a wood base court with whatever carpet covering that they put on it - this should come as no surprise.

scoobs
02-09-2007, 07:52 AM
And yes in the past they used to play on a wood court without any coverage - back when the game was slow enough to cope with it - they were very quick courts, far too quick for the modern game.

Andre♥
02-09-2007, 08:51 AM

I don't know about Bercy, but Vienna has wood underneath.

scoobs
02-09-2007, 08:54 AM
As does Basel, I believe

Action Jackson
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Uhh, is it really that bad? :eek: So Marat's not complaining for nothing? :o

He always complains.

Saumon
02-09-2007, 11:37 AM
And yes in the past they used to play on a wood court without any coverage - back when the game was slow enough to cope with it - they were very quick courts, far too quick for the modern game.
I remember hearing about another unusual surface for a DC tie but I can't remember what :scratch:
He always complains.

he's a crybaby :shrug:

MariaV
02-09-2007, 11:51 AM
He always complains.

Even if you think I'm a fangirl I seriously don't like his whining but then again nobody's perfect. :shrug: So I'm still a fangirl. :angel:

Action Jackson
02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Even if you think I'm a fangirl I seriously don't like his whining but then again nobody's perfect. :shrug: So I'm still a fangirl. :angel:

That's the way Safin is.

MariaV
02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
That's the way Safin is.

Exactly. :)

Experimentee
02-10-2007, 01:13 PM
The clay in the Belgium-Australia tie is the strangest clay I have seen. The surface looks faster than the Rebound Ace at the AO, and the ball doesnt bounce high at all. Apparently there is wood underneath the clay.