Players views on RR and Davis Cup schedule [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Players views on RR and Davis Cup schedule

nobama
02-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Not posting the whole article, but a couple interesting tidbits regarding RR and Davis Cup:

What Ricci Bitti means is that he believes it is vital to maintain a significant 11-day gap between the end of a major tournament and the start of a Davis Cup round. But many of the stars that Ricci Bitti is determined to keep attracting are not in agreement. Urged on by men's tour officials, they have sent a letter to the ITF expressing their desire for a more compact schedule in September and for the Davis Cup semifinals and relegation round to be played in the week immediately after the U.S. Open.

"Even if they convince the players, they don't convince me," Ricci Bitti said. "They try to use the players, push all the players."

But some of the players sound like willing partners. "It baffles me to think that it still might not get changed," said James Blake, adding that 19 of the top 20 players had signed on to the proposal. "We all agree that we want it there. It makes it better for our schedules. But I guess we've got a few guys in suits that don't want it that way. So we'll see if we can convince them."

Meanwhile, many players on the men's side are upset about the ATP's decision to test round-robin formats in minor tournaments this season, saying the systems generate confusion and even encourage players to throw matches. At the player meeting during the Australian Open, there were emotional pleas to stop the experiment.

But de Villiers, the proverb addict and former Disney executive, is intent on seeing his market research through. There is no intention to use round robin in anything but small-level events, but there is an intention to make plenty of other changes to the tour, from its nomenclature to its structure.

Full article here:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/02/08/sports/arena.php

Bloodletting
02-08-2007, 11:39 PM
just like big european clubs pushing FIFA to not force them to lend the players for their international matches :mad:

Sports are boring without a nations' competition.

kapranos
02-08-2007, 11:42 PM
DC should be played every 2 years. Or every 4 years. Kinda silly that right after winning the Cup, you have to defend it. And it devalues the competition.

Johnny Groove
02-09-2007, 01:24 AM
DC should be played every 2 years. Or every 4 years. Kinda silly that right after winning the Cup, you have to defend it. And it devalues the competition.

i thought you left :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
02-09-2007, 01:30 AM
i thought you left :rolleyes:

No, he wants to win the ACC contest.

Johnny Groove
02-09-2007, 01:31 AM
No, he wants to win the ACC contest.

he got the #3 seed last year with just a few hundred posts. Quality over Quantity

scarecrows
02-09-2007, 01:34 AM
he got the #3 seed last year with just a few hundred posts. Quality over Quantity

hat's exactly what I mentioned in Adam's thread

lordimanji enters this category as well

GlennMirnyi
02-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Can't beat me anyway. :yeah: :p

MariaV
02-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Can't beat me anyway. :yeah: :p

You know you got my vote! :wavey:

nisha
02-09-2007, 02:53 PM
DC should happen every two years...

bobjoe66
02-10-2007, 10:09 PM
yep every 2 years for me too.

and a change of format for me...maybe a group stage giving more advantage to higher ranked nations. seems stupid having 2 high ranked teams playing so early in the competetion.

and the final to be played on neutral surface, or both home and away or something.

sondraj06
02-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Yeah I think that's a great idea the surface and place should be nuetral, they do that in football I do believe and it seems quit fair, plus you won't have all this debate about whether a country intentionally set out to hurt the other team with their choice of surface.

artlinkletter
02-11-2007, 01:33 AM
But some of the players sound like willing partners. "It baffles me to think that it still might not get changed," said James Blake, adding that 19 of the top 20 players had signed on to the proposal. "We all agree that we want it there. It makes it better for our schedules. But I guess we've got a few guys in suits that don't want it that way. So we'll see if we can convince them."

Who was the one person that didn't sign on?

nobama
02-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah I think that's a great idea the surface and place should be nuetral, they do that in football I do believe and it seems quit fair, plus you won't have all this debate about whether a country intentionally set out to hurt the other team with their choice of surface.
That would be boring. Part of the fun is the challenge of, say, the United States having to win on clay on the road.

TheBoiledEgg
02-11-2007, 01:58 PM
imagine DC over two legs :lol:

bobjoe66
02-11-2007, 02:12 PM
That would be boring. Part of the fun is the challenge of, say, the United States having to win on clay on the road.

yeah but they wouldnt and could go out 1st round to a lesser nation who are only superior on clay, and any other surface would lose. that isn't a competetion, its just relying on who gets the home draw.

Kalliopeia
02-11-2007, 02:57 PM
yeah but they wouldnt and could go out 1st round to a lesser nation who are only superior on clay, and any other surface would lose. that isn't a competetion, its just relying on who gets the home draw.

But teams win away all the time. The US is about to win over the Czech Republic as I type this...on clay. Granted most of the Czech team is weak but Roddick is currently up 2 sets to 1 against Tomas Berdych, not a weak player at all. Spain just won on lightning fast courts in Switzerland. It's not as predictable as you make it sound.

Eden
06-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Davis Cup - Nadal calls for Davis Cup reform
Eurosport - Sat, 16 Jun

Davis Cup - Rafael Nadal has renewed his calls for Davis Cup organisers to change the scheduling of the event.

Players have complained for years about the way the team competition, which is spread over four different weeks during the year, disrupts their singles commitments.
World number one Roger Federer is often absent from the Switzerland team for their first round ties, which are staged within days of the Australian Open ending.
"We need to look at the way it is played because it's a very important event, and we need to make sure that the top players are playing in the Davis Cup," said Nadal.
"I don't know the solution, but we need find one."
World number two and French Open champion Nadal missed both of Spain's ties earlier this year due to illness and injury.
He cheered his team mates from the sidelines for the first round tie with Switzerland in Geneva before a foot problem ruled him out of the quarter-finals against the USA. in April.
"It's a very, very special competition for me," Nadal said after being knocked out in the quarter-finals of the grass court tournament at Queen's Club.
"I experience feelings playing Davis Cup that you do not experience elsewhere, that money cannot buy.
"Every time that I did not have any physical injury, I always played for my country and with a lot of passion."

Source: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/16062007/58/davis-cup-nadal-calls-davis-cup-reform.html

ilostmymarbles
06-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd like it to be played every two or four years. Have it like a proper 'world cup' like in other sports.