France has too many big tennis events [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

France has too many big tennis events

kobulingam
02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
The french people have RG (a major), Monte Carlo Masters (basically France) and Paris Masters.

Compare this with Germany, far greater population and economic importance with only Hamburg Masters (which could be moved, and even if it wasn't it has very little importance since it comes right before the big french event).

What the top dogs need to do is move one of the French Masters and one of the American Masters to different countries. We need to expand the sport of tennis worldwide.

Why doesn't SOUTH AMERICA have a single big event? Asia has the Masters Cup (for now) and AO (still Asia), but SOUTH AMERICA, which produces a lot of tennis talent has nothing. Ridiculous....

Loremaster
02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Asia TMC is not forever :devil:

Yeah I agree , but it is because South America is baout clay and main clay swing is in europe due to FO. And TMS in South America is hard to fit into schedule, because of GS it won't fit before Wimby , UsOpen or FO so it could be only before TMC but still many players would simply skip it , because noone wants to travel from Europe to South america and then two Europe + there are so many tournaments in Europe indoors. So Maybe it would fit when schedule will be redone, but still I don't think so. I think moving TMC to Sout America for 2-3 years would be good idea.

Germany has many tournaments , they have Halle, TMS and if I remember well 2 smaller tournaments.

Jimnik
02-07-2007, 04:41 PM
France, Canada and possibly USA have too many TMSs. I would move Paris to Shanghai, Montreal/Toronto to Buenos Aires and remove maybe Cincinatti.

8 Masters Series events is enough.

NyGeL
02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm tired of this kind of topics...

TMJordan
02-07-2007, 04:45 PM
France, Canada and possibly USA have too many TMSs. I would move Paris to Shanghai, Montreal/Toronto to Buenos Aires and remove maybe Cincinatti.

And that is why you are not in charge.

If I was in charge I would move Chelsea.

Loremaster
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
removing Cincy and moving Canada is bad. Canada is not US so they have their own event the only ATP event so I'm fine with it Cincy is before UsOpen so moving it to other country or removing would be stupid.

I would

move Indian Wells to South America
keep Miami
keep Monte Carlo
keep Rome
remove Hamburg
make TMS on grass in Germany before Wimby
keep Canada
keep Cincy
keep Madrid
move TMS in Paris to Asia

it would give
2 TMS + Slam in USA
1 TMS in South America on slow hardcourt
1 TMS + slam in France
1 TMS in Italy
1 TMS in Germany
1 TMS in Canada
1 TMS in Spain
1 TMS + slam in Asia
Slam in England

Naide
02-07-2007, 04:50 PM
we can give you bercy, but no way for roland garros and monte carlo

TMJordan
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
we can give you bercy, but no way for roland garros and monte carlo

Marat loves Bercy, ther will be no moving of Bercy :p

Naide
02-07-2007, 04:54 PM

marat loves bercy and i love marat but this tournament is a joke

Jimnik
02-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Well, I did apply for the job but I guess the ATP decided Mr. Disney was too overqualified. :sad:

Jimnik
02-07-2007, 05:05 PM
removing Cincy and moving Canada is bad. Canada is not US so they have their own event the only ATP event so I'm fine with it Cincy is before UsOpen so moving it to other country or removing would be stupid.

It's not like I would get rid of Canda completely. I just don't think it deserves Masters Series status.

We're getting a bit off topic here but, if you want to discuss the entire ATP schedule, try this thread:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=55823

LilyRoseAva
02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
The french people have RG (a major), Monte Carlo Masters (basically France) and Paris Masters.

Compare this with Germany, far greater population and economic importance with only Hamburg Masters (which could be moved, and even if it wasn't it has very little importance since it comes right before the big french event).

What the top dogs need to do is move one of the French Masters and one of the American Masters to different countries. We need to expand the sport of tennis worldwide.

Why doesn't SOUTH AMERICA have a single big event? Asia has the Masters Cup (for now) and AO (still Asia), but SOUTH AMERICA, which produces a lot of tennis talent has nothing. Ridiculous....

montecarlo is not a french tournament . At all .

yakuzaninja
02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Germany has a pretty big grass tournament, and two other good clay court tournaments that get good fields. No way are they given a raw deal as far as events go.

LoveFifteen
02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I was scared the OP would have an American flag next to his name. Imagine my sigh of relief when I saw that maple leaf. :haha:

Marine
02-07-2007, 05:44 PM
montecarlo is not a french tournament . At all .

Si. Désolée. On va pas chipoter et dire que c'est à Monaco. C'est pareil. Et le directeur à longtemps été un français.

Marine
02-07-2007, 05:45 PM
France never had the Masters. Germany, yes.

bokehlicious
02-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Si. Désolée. On va pas chipoter et dire que c'est à Monaco. C'est pareil. Et le directeur à longtemps été un français.

N'importe quoi :rolleyes: les Monégasques vont être contents... :o

Burrow
02-07-2007, 05:46 PM

correct

Julio1974
02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I was scared the OP would have an American flag next to his name. Imagine my sigh of relief when I saw that maple leaf. :haha:

:haha:

stebs
02-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Australia isn't in Asia.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-continents-map.jpg

Oh, and Asia should certainly get a masters series, probably indoors. Buenos Aires would also be better than having three clay AMS in Europe plus RG.

sondraj06
02-07-2007, 06:37 PM

nooooooooooooooo, no, no, no,no, no, I live in cleveland it is the closest I will every get to seeing tennis live. I througly disagree :angel:

DrJules
As UK has Wimbledon should not have year end masters.

As France has Roland Garros should not have Paris Open as master series.

As a larger country US should have US Open and 2 master series. Probably should not have Indian Wells as master series.

R.Federer
If they moved the Australian further down in the calendar then they could conceivably have a tuneup T.M.S in Asia to start the year.

With bigger tennis audiences in the Asian markets and growing every year, it is not a bad idea to give the right incentives for tennis players to show up there.

Sandra
02-07-2007, 06:39 PM

Oui :hearts:

Il Primo Uomo
02-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Monte Carlo is not a french tourney sweetie. We talk italian too there :D

Andre♥
02-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Roland Garros, Monte Carlo and Paris Bercy are easily part of the ten most respected tournaments in the world. They have history between them. There's no way they will end.

Jimnik
02-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Paris Bercy is the most overrated tournament. How many top players turned up last year? It rivals Hamburg in terms of withdrawels.

Bad Religion
02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah , too many big events in France and any important player since... I don't remember when , 1920 maybe

kobulingam
02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Paris Bercy is the most overrated tournament. How many top players turned up last year? It rivals Hamburg in terms of withdrawels.

There is no way a single city should have a grand slam and a TMS event when there are very few events to go around. This is even more true when the same country has a another TMS (Monaco.... basically France).

Saumon
02-07-2007, 10:19 PM

it would break his poor little heart :sobbing: plus he's already planed to retire there... if they remove it, does it mean he'll never retire? :eek: :p

TennisGrandSlam
02-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Monaco is an independence state :devil:

TennisGrandSlam
02-07-2007, 10:33 PM
USA has US Open and 3 TMS, and many more tournaments :rolleyes:

safinaferrero
02-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I dt think France has too many big events that's a fact that they have a GS, a TMS s. But f u compare France with USA u'll see that they have more big events :o plus i agree with some of u guys that say that Bercy used to suffer from several late withdrawing but still this tournement has lots of success and able ppl to discover new tennis players such as Berdych when he won the tourney or Stepanek when he reached the finale vs safin in 2004 as far as i remember.
Indeed, RG is such a posh event that Bercy is a good alternative for ppl that can't go to the french open.

I agree with ppl that say that South America deserve a big event coz they have a great tennis culture out there maybe it's becoz ATP thinks more about the money than tennis and prefer rich countries :( such as France-USA-AUSTRALIA-England etc...
It reminds me FIFA sometimes :scratch:

To end, Montecarlo is not technically french but ppl from monaco have french nationality right? dt remember who said they speak only italian but that's not true they speak french too which is the main language, italian is the second language .

GlennMirnyi
02-07-2007, 11:56 PM
France has a big tradition and deserve those tournaments.

uNIVERSE mAN
02-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Only if South America had a Hard Court tournament that would fit into the summer schedule, but since they hate anything but clay it's impossible.

Volcanic Tennis
02-08-2007, 01:10 AM
It's not like I would get rid of Canda completely. I just don't think it deserves Masters Series status.

We're getting a bit off topic here but, if you want to discuss the entire ATP schedule, try this thread:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=55823

Canada is one of the most attended tournaments. Every year it breaks attendance records. Removing it or lowering its status is stupid in my opinion.

~EMiLiTA~
02-08-2007, 01:12 AM
There is no way a single city should have a grand slam and a TMS event when there are very few events to go around. This is even more true when the same country has a another TMS (Monaco.... basically France).

yes i agree...

no offence, because i like France, but it has way too many tournaments compared to other countries...and the fact that one city has a grand slam and a masters is just stupid

silverwhite
02-08-2007, 01:13 AM
France should keep its tournaments, but move the TMS away from Paris.

guy in sf
02-08-2007, 02:06 AM
Germany doesn't not have "far greater economical importance" than france, all the Western European powers (france, germany and Britain) are major economical world powers and Germany is the leader in Europe but it doesn't have far greater economical importance importance than france, that is an overstatement. I would say culturally speaking though France much MORE influential than Germany and some would say that is more important than the economy factor.

Federer&Hingis
02-08-2007, 02:48 AM
France and U.S.A. have too many big tennis events.

I prefer to move a French TMS and a US TMS to S. America and Asia.

kobulingam
02-08-2007, 04:15 AM
Germany doesn't not have "far greater economical importance" than france, all the Western European powers (france, germany and Britain) are major economical world powers and Germany is the leader in Europe but it doesn't have far greater economical importance importance than france, that is an overstatement. I would say culturally speaking though France much MORE influential than Germany and some would say that is more important than the economy factor.

What are you talking about? Germany's economy is is roughly 1.4 times larger than France's (or England's). It also have 20+ million more people living there compared to France. So Germany is roughly France+Australia! It also has many more BIG cities compared to France (which basically only has Paris). So Germany can support a more tennis tournaments than France.

Ok, assume they're equal. Say Hamburg is moved. So France has 1 GS, and 2 TMS tournaments, while the European power has nadda? Makes sense.

Doesn't make business sense. A GS is like 3 TMS tournaments. So compare the current 5:1 ratio, when economically it's 1:1.4.

Saumon
02-08-2007, 05:56 AM
France should keep its tournaments, but move the TMS away from Paris.

1/6 of the French population lives in or around Paris :shrug: and Bercy is the biggest indoor place in France... there's nothing much they can do about it... the other big indoor places are in Nice (way to close from MC) and Pau :o

silverwhite
02-08-2007, 06:12 AM
1/6 of the French population lives in or around Paris :shrug: and Bercy is the biggest indoor place in France... there's nothing much they can do about it... the other big indoor places are in Nice (way to close from MC) and Pau :o

What's wrong with Pau? French DC teams have won quite a few ties there (except the last one :tape: ), no? :p

Saumon
02-08-2007, 06:17 AM
it's ok for a DC tie once in a while... but Pau is not the easiest city to access... it's far from everything!

silverwhite
02-08-2007, 06:19 AM
it's ok for a DC tie once in a while... but Pau is not the easiest city to access... it's far from everything!

Let me guess. You live in Paris? :p

TennisGrandSlam
02-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Move 1 USA AMS to Doha or Dubai, and move Pairs AMS to S. America (but put the schedule to 2 weeks after US Open) :devil:

jazar
02-08-2007, 06:43 AM
yes france does have a lot of tournament but they are high quality tournaments that deserve to be there. conversely england does not have enough. we want the masters cup!

Saumon
02-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Let me guess. You live in Paris? :p

not anymore, I live near Switzertland ;)

Denise
02-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Keep French masters, move a US TMS to S. America.
I think we from S.America should have a big and important tournie as TMS :p

kobulingam
02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
yes france does have a lot of tournament but they are high quality tournaments that deserve to be there. conversely england does not have enough. we want the masters cup!

Quality of a tournament?

What matters is the growth of tennis worldwide. RG is enough to keep interest in France alive.

safinaferrero
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
dunno what's the fuss with this thread France is far away from USA in numbers of tournements.

thrust
02-08-2007, 11:26 PM
How you gonna keep them down on the farm, after they have seen Paris or Monte Carlo?-lol!! Most players would want to play in those great places as well as the USA. Canada has only one important tournament! Monrtreal and Toronto are also great places to visit and are very supportive of tennis. Keep all these tournaments!

thrust
02-08-2007, 11:33 PM
jazar- England has Wimbledon, but unfortunately, very few quality tennis players.