Weird matches? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Weird matches?

robrulz5
02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Has anyone ever had really weird matches where they have played really badly but still won?

I had one on Saturday where I could hardly hit the ball properly, I had alot of pain in my shoulder and it even went numb for a while!!!

Somehow I still managed to win 6-1 6-2!

azza
02-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Wow.

Dougie
02-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Has anyone ever had really weird matches where they have played really badly but still won?

I had one on Saturday where I could hardly hit the ball properly, I had alot of pain in my shoulder and it even went numb for a while!!!

Somehow I still managed to win 6-1 6-2!

When I was a junior, I was playing a tournament and my first match was on saturday morning. Having a relatively bad hangover, I was totally out of timing and rhythm, and lost the first set 6-2. Somehow I pulled myself together and won the next two 6-3, 6-2, I think. Not a weird match, but funny, anyway!;) Oh, and I lost the second match...Guess I deserved that.

SwissMister1
02-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Playing with a hangover is rough...usually I'll just try to hit around or play doubles...

Probably my strangest score in a match I won 0-6 6-1 6-4, also I once won the first set in a tiebreak, held serve in the first game of the second then dropped 12 straight games to lose the match, that was an awful day, out of nowhere I couldnt keep a ball in the court.

Pixie
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I remember a match. Had a big hangover and hadn't slept at night and had to play the final of a local tournament. The guy was highly ranked for me but still I played a big match. I ran totally out of gas up two breaks in the third and eventually lost it. I knew the guy, who was a wanker and he couldn't accept it was that tight and told me in the end he couldn't play properly having done the party till...midnight ! It was a matter of jokes with friends after that...

Forever-Delayed
02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Probably one of the matches that I played in a tournament final, where I was 6-0, 5-1 40*-0 down, and promptly came back to win that set 7-5, and then the thrid 6-1. Even stranger was the fact that the only game I lost was when I served for the match at 5-0 in the third. One of the most bizarre matches I have ever been involved in!

Haile Selassie
02-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Today i was tranning with a friend and we decided to play a match! Oh my god i have never choke like today.
i WAS UP 6/1-5/2 and he beat me 1/6-7/6(11)-6/1
I cant be focus after having 10 matches points in the second set.. really pathetic for me :help:

Deathless Mortal
02-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Probably one of the matches that I played in a tournament final, where I was 6-0, 5-1 40*-0 down, and promptly came back to win that set 7-5, and then the thrid 6-1. Even stranger was the fact that the only game I lost was when I served for the match at 5-0 in the third. One of the most bizarre matches I have ever been involved in!

:eek: That guy who you defeated is a great choker!

Deathless Mortal
02-26-2007, 02:10 PM
my weird match: i felt really shitty that day, and managed to beat my friend, who defeated my one day earlier, i won 6-2, 6-2! That was my best score. And then other friend came, who defeated me that summer 6-0, 6-1 :rolleyes: and i defeated him 6-1, 5-1 40-0 ret. :lol: And another one, i played against third friend on clay outside and lost 6-1, 6-3, then came on hard court indoors and defeated him 7-5, 6-3

ExcaliburII
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
I was playing at a national G3 about two years ago.
I had lost first set 7-6, and was down 6-3 in the second set tiebreak. I won that set by 8-6, and the last by 6-0. Happiest day in tennis :D. Passed to Qf coming from qualies with that match.

Final of U-21 at my club (i was only 15), was 5-1 40-0 down, and came back to win 7-5 6-1.

Was down 6-2 5-0 at a national G3, won second by 7-6, and constructed a lead of 4-0 in third. I lost 7-5 in the third :mad:

zicofirol
02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I played teh worst match of my life against this guy who kep stealing calls, I dont mean on the line calls I mean 2-1ft in calls, those who where watching the match couldnt believe it, I was so mad at how bad I was playing that I didnt care that match for the bad calls, I was just to upset with myself. I lost the first set 6-1, was up 5-1 40-15 in the second, then missed a smash on Sp, then double faulted, and lost 7-6(0), pathetic pathetic... :o :o :o :o worst match I have ever played I was missing shots 1 meter long... its embarassing to remember, lol

HKz
03-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Even stranger was the fact that the only game I lost was when I served for the match at 5-0 in the third.

Federer did that against Nadal when he was serving for the match @ Wimbledon. I guess it's just nerves.

The Freak
06-25-2007, 02:16 AM
For me, it's a sequence of matches. In the U-16 age bracket I beat this kid in the first round of a tournament 6-0, 6-0 in quick fashion. The very next week we played against each other again in the final of a tournament and I won 6-1, 2-6, 7-6(14). I was very lucky to win in because in the third set tie-break, he came into to the net against me on his match point, and I hit a passing shot that was going long, but he nicked it. :lol:

Aerion
06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I was very lucky to win in because in the third set tie-break, he came into to the net against me on his match point, and I hit a passing shot that was going long, but he nicked it.

Past experience. He knew how to play you this next time. A win is a win..is a win. :wavey:

tennisplayer89
07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
The weirdest match (actually tournament) I ever played was a doubles match. It was at a southern (Southern United States)level tournament. My friend and I had never played doubles together ever, and we were the strangest duo. He is about six inches shorter than I am and probably 40 or 50lbs lighter than me. Before our last match started, my friend rode onto the court on a little circus bicycle. Strangely enough, we made it to the semifinals of the tournament losing to the number one seed. What is so strange is that two people who have never played together before made it really far in a big tournament.

El Legenda
07-09-2007, 05:38 AM
i lost in the champsionship match of my univesities intermural tournament :mad: i was up 6-4 *5-3, lost 6-4 5-7 4-6
i hit 3DF at *5-3 :sad:

baghdatis
07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
:lol:

last week I played a Junior Tourney and almost all of my matches were wierd!

1st round: losing 6-0 3-0 and ending up winning 0-6 6-3 7-5 :lol:
2nd round: both sets down 4-1 and winning 6-4 6-4
quarters: lost 1st set 6-1 (winning about 8-10 points total) then winning the next set 6-0 but losing last set in a tiebreak :(

Edit: Not ITF

Sean.J.S.
07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
When I was younger, I played first-to-nine competitions and in one of my first matches, I was leading 7-3* and choked and let the other guy get back to 7-7*. Then I broke him and served for the match and was up *8-7 30-0 and had an open court and missed and lost the match 9-8(5). :tape:

DarkMarc
07-10-2007, 01:45 PM
weeks ago, i had my weirdest match. first set, up to 5-2 i played good tennis, then lost my serve, had a set point at 5-3, let him back into the set, played a poor tiebreak and lost it 7-4. second set, after the first set lasting somewhat like an hour, after 15 minutes he was leading *5-1 30-0. i fought back, saved 2 matchpoints at 5-2 and won the second 7-6(2). in the third, he was cramping, i had no problems, was leading *5-1 then hit 3 double faults;-)(it was so hot, i absolutely couldn't use my legs on my serve) but won 6-7;7-6;6-2
the match lasted about three hours and it was like 35°. the best win of my life for sure:-)

Burrow
07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
All the time.

Lui
07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
My strangest match was probably in my club tournament, playing my mate who is a similiar standard to me. I won the first set 6-1, but then lost a winning position in the 2nd set and lost on a tiebreak. Usually in that sort of situation I[d just go and lose it mentally and lose the 3rd...but I went on to win the 3rd set for the loss of a single point! I then lost in the next round...

Burrow
07-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Normally my groundstrokes are solid and are weapons, but I played a match at my club and could hardly get the ball in court, and still won easily, it was ridiculous. My serve saved me.

groundstroke
08-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, this has happened to me in tennis alone and in my local football team. I get lucky once or twice or the opponent is having a worse day.

Matchu
09-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Every now and again it takes me time to get into the match, In this one instance it was a very strange match where I played very bad in the first set and lost 6-0 then had 40-0 in the first game of the second set on serve and lost the game, then went on to lose 4 more games and I was losing 5-0.

At this point I was completely over it, I was ready to lose it 6-0 6-0. So I had it in my mind that I would hit every shot as hard as I possibly could because nothing else was going in, Suddenly I started making shots, Acing on Serves, I was outplaying him until 5-3 where I had got one break back but needed another, He got one match point and came to the net. Usually I would hit a passing shot down the line but this time I went straight back cross court and he didn't pick it I ended up winning the game and holding to get it to 5-5.

The most stupid thing I've ever done on a tennis court, I starting think "I'm going to win now" I then was outplayed in the next two games and lost 7-5.

Very strange match.

matt5290
09-17-2007, 11:36 AM
My and my doubles partner had lost all our matches all season, until a match were we won 6-1, and didnt really do anything special.

I also remember a match where I was hitting the ball beautifully, but somehow managed to lose 7-5.