Guille Coria - most talented? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Guille Coria - most talented?

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Personally I think Coria is the most talented tennis player in the world. I'm talking about pure tennis talent, so that doesn't include power, serving etc which aren't really tennis talents imo. I mean you only have to look at the guys hands, drop shots etc to realise how talented he is. And he has a very technically good forehand, too.

I just think if you gave everyone wooden rackets, he would be the best player.

DustMan
02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
ok

Peacemaster
02-06-2007, 10:48 PM
You're right.

swisstruffles
02-06-2007, 10:54 PM
dont be mean guys. lol~
i cant say for myself; havent seen him play enough and hes been out of the game for so long (well out of the light) so yeah dunno.
still, u cant compare him to federer

zicofirol
02-06-2007, 11:00 PM
haha, okay

actually power can come from good technique, same with serve, net play etc. Coria was fast and got everything back, that's about it he was not this amazing shotmaker, he does have some nice touch but he is not even the most talented argentine...

Peoples
02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
:haha:

A_Skywalker
02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Guille is a magician !

Andre♥
02-06-2007, 11:34 PM
You're drunk.

FedererGrandSlam
02-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Yes. Too bad he is an asshole and his career over.

R.Federer
02-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Not most talented, but very talented. He did have exquisite drop shot technique though.

His FH, BH, quite standard. Nothing exquisite about that.

Jlee
02-06-2007, 11:44 PM
So wooden racket tennis is the only form of tennis that involves pure talent!? :lol:

Federer beats him. By about a mile.

Denise
02-06-2007, 11:51 PM
I think he is talent, but "most talent" I can't say!
Btw, where is he? does he retired? for enjoy his married life? :lol:

Denise
02-06-2007, 11:52 PM
haha, okay

actually power can come from good technique, same with serve, net play etc. Coria was fast and got everything back, that's about it he was not this amazing shotmaker, he does have some nice touch but he is not even the most talented argentine...

:haha::haha:

Sjengster
02-07-2007, 12:06 AM
He's probably among the Top 10, maybe even Top 5, but Nalbandian for instance has a very similar amount of touch and court-craft, isn't too far behind in court coverage and can hit with more power. And ironically enough, as of right now he has by far the more reliable serve.... boy, that would have sounded crazy two or three years ago. One could argue that at his peak on clay, Coria was the best tactical player out there, since he had to construct his points very carefully and work hard at breaking down opponents' weaknesses; on the other hand, I still saw him win plenty of matches on the strength of dogged retrieving and mental toughness alone, and people have noted that he was a tactical master in more ways than one.

Of course, Coria like everyone else has benefited from the power of modern-day racquets, with wooden ones he would still be a force on the clay but he'd be far more vulnerable on faster surfaces against big servers. And if power off the ground as well as on the serve isn't a real tennis talent, then Andre's no. 1 fan must regard him as one of the luckiest hackers that ever existed.

GlennMirnyi
02-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Time to increase your dosage.

jayjay
02-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Personally I think Coria is the most talented tennis player in the world. I'm talking about pure tennis talent, so that doesn't include power, serving etc which aren't really tennis talents imo. I mean you only have to look at the guys hands, drop shots etc to realise how talented he is. And he has a very technically good forehand, too.

I don't agree with your definitions of tennis talent. Tennis talent encompasses many things, including power and serving.

That aside, Coria is a very talented player, but not by virtue of power and serving. Others are talented in different ways, some similar to Coria and some not. One of Coria's greatest assets is his ability to work points out two or three shots ahead, he's a very intelligent player. However, I would not say he is the most talented, but only because I don't give a shit who is the most talented as it's so subjective.

Il Primo Uomo
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
haha, okay

:lol:

RickDaStick
02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
WTF are you smoking dude? first you try to tell us that having a good serve is not a talent and now this crap.

El Legenda
02-07-2007, 12:19 AM
also top 5 doper in the world.

Rogiman
02-07-2007, 12:20 AM
This year's arse-clown championship's going to be a blast, with Andre's#1 cock-sucka being the leading contender.

GonzoFed
02-07-2007, 12:24 AM
This year's arse-clown championship's going to be a blast, with Andre's#1 cock-sucka being the leading contender.

I disagree. It's going to be boring. She will dominate the championship for years to come. In her inmortal and wise words, boring domination. She's the Federer of this competition.

Rogiman
02-07-2007, 12:27 AM
I disagree. It's going to be boring. She will dominate the championship for years to come. In her inmortal and wise words, boring domination. She's the Federer of this competition.But boy, does she have character...

GlennMirnyi
02-07-2007, 12:41 AM

There are a few old school players like Jerry, Jogy and Mistahezbollah that you can't simply discard. The same goes for the revelations of last tournament, like me. :p

kronus12
02-07-2007, 12:43 AM
i agree that coria is a talent but the most talented in the sport.....no i don't think so the are more guys talented like nalbandian and the man himself federer which you know if you're been on this board long enough considered to be the most gifted player and talent in tennis history if you missed that point then obvious you're a troll who know's nothing about what pure tennis talent means.

Allure
02-07-2007, 01:34 AM
i agree that coria is a talent but the most talented in the sport.....no i don't think so the are more guys talented like nalbandian and the man himself federer which you know if you're been on this board long enough considered to be the most gifted player and talent in tennis history if you missed that point then obvious you're a troll who know's nothing about what pure tennis talent means.

Of course Andre'sNo1fan will never give Federer credit for anything but being an arrogant jerk.;)

kobulingam
02-07-2007, 01:37 AM

He is also a (former) steroids user.

Snowwy
02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Everyone makes it look like Federer always had an easy time with this guy, but Coria is one of the few players that always made Roger work.

Sjengster
02-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Well, they haven't played that many times compared to most of Federer's contemporaries. Their RR match in Shanghai in 2005 was a laughable comedy of errors from both men, you had Coria hardly able to serve and breadsticking Federer on indoor carpet. Both encounters in Hamburg were certainly closely-fought, but the power difference did tell in the end, even on clay. It would be interesting to see them play somewhere else on clay, given Federer's comfort level in Hamburg; RG would be a particularly stern test.

artlinkletter
02-07-2007, 03:12 AM
I don't think I'll ever forget the RR match between the two. Like Sjengster said, pure comedy.:haha: It was painful yet enjoyabe. As for Coria, I think he is very talented, but certainly not the MOST talented. I really enjoy watching him play, because between the errors and double faults, there are flashes of brilliance. I hope he comes back on tour...and quick, with his serve.

fenomeno2111
02-07-2007, 03:22 AM

Do you even know the story behind his doping case? If you don't then please STFU!

cmurray
02-07-2007, 03:24 AM
I think Coria is very talented. I like him quite a bit, actually and I wish he hadn't self-destructed after losing to Gaudio.

I don't think he's the MOST talented but based on sheer talent alone, he might be ONE of the most talented.......

jayjay
02-07-2007, 03:50 AM
Do you even know the story behind his doping case? If you don't then please STFU!

Of course he/she doesn't, and if he/she did, it would still not matter as the complexities of such a case would be far to difficult to digest for such people. There is no point worrying about the wilfully ignorant.

Hendu
02-07-2007, 03:53 AM
A top ten in terms of talent, easily.

Great drop shots, lobs, passing shots, a master hitting angles... and his touch, just delightful.

No power, just subtle tennis.

croat123
02-07-2007, 04:07 AM
same logic makes karlovic one of the most talented too :o

Hendu
02-07-2007, 04:09 AM
same logic makes karlovic one of the most talented too :o

:scratch:

explanation?

kobulingam
02-07-2007, 04:10 AM
Of course he/she doesn't, and if he/she did, it would still not matter as the complexities of such a case would be far to difficult to digest for such people. There is no point worrying about the wilfully ignorant.

Well he's friends with Canas and Puerta, isn't he?

Hendu
02-07-2007, 04:14 AM

god you are smart!

how could I be so blind???

They are all dopers!!!

Pfloyd
02-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Coria was (and maybe "is") a pure joy to watch, especially on clay. Mind you, on HC he was quite mediocre due to his lack of power.

It wouldn't be an understatment to say that on clay, Coria is top 15 or maybe even top 10 in terms of talent and finese.

In my opinion, it was a real shame that Coria couldn't win RG back in 2004. With Nadal and Federer now looming on this surface, Coria, if he ever get's back to his prime, will have a hell of a tough test to win in Paris.

jayjay
02-07-2007, 04:22 AM

Good answer. I cannot possibly take down your claims. Good job. You should be a lawyer. :worship:

Hendu
02-07-2007, 04:24 AM
Coria was (and maybe "is") a pure joy to watch, especially on clay. Mind you, on HC he was quite mediocre due to his lack of power.

It wouldn't be an understatment to say that on clay, Coria is top 15 or maybe even top 10 in terms of talent and finese.

only top 15 on clay?????

please, name the players who are more talented than him:

perhaps Kuerten, Nadal, Federer and?

you could argue for Moya and Ferrero or maybe Gaudio, but I think in terms of talent, Coria is better than any of them.

Ferrer, Robredo... no.

Peoples
02-07-2007, 10:38 AM
A short career is the downside of constant doping :sad:

guille&tati4life
02-07-2007, 10:44 AM
also top 5 doper in the world.

Originally Posted by kobulingam

Originally posted by Peoples
A short career is the downside of constant doping

:retard: Why do people post such nonsense without having a clue? :retard:

With regards to the actual thread question, Guillermo is certainly one of the most talented players. If we use the definition of talent that you used then he is certainly right up there as one of the best. However, I don't think even i would say he's the most talented :lol:. Federer is a better player for a start ;)

Peoples
02-07-2007, 10:47 AM
:retard: Why do people post such nonsense without having a clue? :retard:
Because it's true, you raving fangirl :lol:

guille&tati4life
02-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Because it's true, you raving fangirl :lol:

Tell me what it is exactly that you think happened, you raving lunatic :lol:

Peoples
02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
Argentines are always questioning the facts over and over again. The doper got caught and was banned for 7 months. Could have been more but the tribunal showed leniency (see quote below). He might have gotten away with it easily in the tribunal but his body isn't so lenient ;)

ATP Tour Anti-Doping Tribunal:

"Rule C. 3. makes a professional tennis player “absolutely responsible for any Prohibited Substance found to be present within his body”. Therefore, the Player is ultimately responsible for the conduct of anyone he uses to assist him with satisfying the Anti-Doping Rules including his mother or father. In this respect some leniency was given in the Coria decision because of the youthful age of the player who was under the age of majority at the time of the infraction of the rules."

guille&tati4life
02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Argentines are always questioning the facts over and over again. The doper got caught and was banned for 7 months. Could have been more but the tribunal showed leniency (see quote below). He might have gotten away with it easily in the tribunal but his body isn't so lenient ;)

ATP Tour Anti-Doping Tribunal:

"Rule C. 3. makes a professional tennis player “absolutely responsible for any Prohibited Substance found to be present within his body”. Therefore, the Player is ultimately responsible for the conduct of anyone he uses to assist him with satisfying the Anti-Doping Rules including his mother or father. In this respect some leniency was given in the Coria decision because of the youthful age of the player who was under the age of majority at the time of the infraction of the rules."

Firstly, I'm not Argentinian, many people question the anti-doping rules in tennis, not just Argentinians.

My argument is not that there is no case against Coria, Canas etc. I have a real problem when these players are called cheats when it has been shown that their aim was not to cheat. My problem is with the fact that it is widely believed that he did nothing intentionally outwith the rules yet he is branded a cheat by many people.

3. A player is absolutely responsible for any Prohibited Substance found to be present within his body. Accordingly, it is not necessary that intent or fault on the player’s part be shown in order for a Doping Offense to be established under paragraphs 1 and 2 of this section C, nor is the player’s lack of intent or lack of fault a defense to a Doping Offense.

If we accept this part of the Anti-Doping laws, then yes, Coria is guilty of something. However, surely a player's intent should be a major difference maker on his ban and the way the player is perceived. I think that lack of intent should constitute a form of defense (though not necessarily clearing people) and it should most certainly ensure that players are not labelled cheats, dopers etc. Every time there is a thread about Coria, someone brings this up as though it proves him to be a cheat. It doesn't, so why mention it?

Peoples
02-07-2007, 11:35 AM
What would it take for Argentines to prove one of their players to be a cheat/doper?
He has to video tape himself taking prohibited substances. While doing it he has to be singing Afroman's "Because I Got High", showing two forms of ID to the camera to be identified, a police officer there to verify the whole thing, four or five ATP officials present, journalists taking notes and Coria's wife saying "that's my Guillermo. But make sure you don't OD this time!"

guille&tati4life
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
What would it take for Argentines to prove one of their players to be a cheat/doper?
He has to video tape himself taking prohibited substances. While doing it he has to be singing Afroman's "Because I Got High", showing two forms of ID to the camera to be identified, a police officer there to verify the whole thing, four or five ATP officials present, journalists taking notes and Coria's wife saying "that's my Guillermo. But make sure you don't OD this time!"

He took some supplements and it was proven that the supplements were contaminated and didn't have Nandrolone on the lable. It's more than reasonable to assume that there was no intent.

Galathea
02-07-2007, 12:11 PM
He took some supplements and it was proven that the supplements were contaminated and didn't have Nandrolone on the lable. It's more than reasonable to assume that there was no intent.

Don't strain yourself with that poster. He says all the argies are dopping positive, he even accused Nalbandian of dopping saying that was the reason for him not playing some tournaments the past year :rolleyes: Seems that someone is an argie hater and just post lies without any sustent. It would be great if some people actually were responsable, legally, for what they wrote and were forced to show proves of what they say. He's on my ignore list ;)

First Coria not only won against the ATP when he protested his dopping but also won the trial in USA against the firm producer of that suplement.

Second Cañas used what an ATP doctor prescribed him. Several journalists (not argies) saw when Cañas gave the paper with the prescription to someone of the hotel to buy it. The ATP decided the original suspension (more time) because the ATP didn't like Cañas attitude about saying first "yes, It was me and that's what happened". Some argie hater here doesn't know that the ATP didn't notify the doctor who prescribe that to be present in the audience and made everything difficult to Willy just because he didn't shut up like they wanted to. More he even was forbbided to enter some stadium, as public, to see his girlfriend (Salerni) thanks to ATP influences.

I do agree about Puerta, never bought his version (I took a glass of water that was for my wife. She putted there some medicine she needed for her period) :rolleyes:

Obviously some people here, like this argie hater, just post because is free to do it and has no idea not only about tennis but also about the rules and what happened.
Oh!..And before talking about other countries and accusing, it would be better see how the players of your country are doing (talking about decisions of not playing matches for not getting a possitive dopping.. don't lie about others when you have at least three examples in your country. Nothing serious, just medicines in two cases. But dopping possitive)

sorrowman
02-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Where he is now?Will he play again or he retired from tennis?

FluffyYellowBall
02-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Where he is now?Will he play again or he retired from tennis?

Thats where he is, ranked at 143 http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playersearch=coria however i wouldnt say that hes the most talented and even if he was, he didnt have the mental strength or the attitude to accomplish great results.

mtw
02-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Thats where he is, ranked at 143 http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playersearch=coria however i wouldnt say that hes the most talented and even if he was, he didnt have the mental strength or the attitude to accomplish great results.

He is 143, because he does not play from september 2006. How can he go up, when he does not play? He had problems with injuries. He does not play now, because any problem with leg.
Besides he is good and talented player.
And this dopping. I don't know, wheather this is true or not. It does not matter. Tennis is not athelics.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-07-2007, 01:40 PM

You call me a clown because I don't agree with what you say, and that I don't bow down to Federer and kiss his ass.

sykotique
02-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Good technique = power.

You don't need huge muscles and a big swing to be powerful. You need good technique. Ergo, Coria lacking in power is due to his technique, which was clay-specific.

Give everyone wooden rackets and everybody's game would change. Power is not the only thing generated by the new rackets; there is also the ability to generate ridiculous amounts of spin. Considering that Federer uses the smallest racket on tour (i.e. smallest sweet spot), with very high tension and makes use of all the grips (eastern, semi-western, western and, in rare incidences, extreme western), I'm inclined to believe that given a wooden racket, he would still be the most dominant.

Coria is a good tactical player, but being a good tactical player does not equate to having talent. Some may argue that Safin, Nalbandian and Federer are just as good tactically, if not better, and are able to vary their games to suit the surface (although it is clear that in this regard, Federer is miles more prolific and consistent and not really comparable with either Safin or Nalbandian).

So no, even if you were to judge talent by your scale, Coria would not be in the top 3. A possible top 10, but he was raised for clay. Tennis is more than one surface.

bokehlicious
02-07-2007, 02:09 PM

You call me a clown because I don't agree with what you say, and that I don't bow down to Federer and kiss his ass.

We call you a clown because you have no clue when it comes to tennis... Nothing to do with Fed :o

Black Adam
02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't get why the Argies here bother wasting their time defending their countrymen in the Doping stories. You shouldn't be bothered if some guys here think of "Needles and Supplements" when they hear the word Argentinian Sports person because that's how shallow they are.
Whether wrong or right, it happened and they got their punishment so can we please move on? Besides it's not like the dope was used to win a TMS or Slam. It would be more interesting if a doped guy had actually done a Ben Johnson and won a slam full of them steriods. It hasn't happened so until that happens, can we just talk about some other things rather spend time dancing on old wounds.

kobulingam
02-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't get why the Argies here bother wasting their time defending their countrymen in the Doping stories. You shouldn't be bothered if some guys here think of "Needles and Supplements" when they hear the word Argentinian Sports person because that's how shallow they are.
Whether wrong or right, it happened and they got their punishment so can we please move on? Besides it's not like the dope was used to win a TMS or Slam. It would be more interesting if a doped guy had actually done a Ben Johnson and won a slam full of them steriods. It hasn't happened so until that happens, can we just talk about some other things rather spend time dancing on old wounds.

And it has nothing really to do with Argentina. It has everything to do with the fact that those group of players are friends and were probably influenced by the same person(people).

Hendu
02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
And it has nothing really to do with Argentina. It has everything to do with the fact that those group of players are friends and were probably influenced by the same person(people).

I admire your abilty to talk about everything without knowing anything.

jayjay
02-07-2007, 02:38 PM
I admire your abilty to talk about everything without knowing anything.

jayjay
02-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't get why the Argies here bother wasting their time defending their countrymen in the Doping stories.

It has more to do with mis-information and ignorance. Why should those who are aware of the case, and actually read the findings of the tribunal (thus making them informed on the subject) sit by idly while some cretins spout their nonsense simply because they dislike said player?

Stupidity and ignorance is free and well, as exhibited by a few posters in this thread.

ps. kobulingam, thank you for the bad rep you sent me, I am truly devastated. :sad:

jayjay
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Tennis is more than one surface.

Coria is of course a player who excels on clay more than any other surface, but to claim he can only play well on clay would not be accurate.

Hendu
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
It has more to do with mis-information and ignorance. Why should those who are aware of the case, and actually read the findings of the tribunal (thus making them informed on the subject) sit by idly while some cretins spout their nonsense simply because they dislike said player?

Stupidity and ignorance is free and well, as exhibited by a few posters in this thread.

ps. kobulingam, thank you for the bad rep you sent me, I am truly devastated. :sad:

He bad repped me too... :sad:

I think I'm leaving MTF.

jayjay
02-07-2007, 02:48 PM

I think I'm leaving MTF.

Stay strong. :)

Pfloyd
02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
only top 15 on clay?????

please, name the players who are more talented than him:

perhaps Kuerten, Nadal, Federer and?

you could argue for Moya and Ferrero or maybe Gaudio, but I think in terms of talent, Coria is better than any of them.

Ferrer, Robredo... no.

I was playing it safe, but sure, talent wise he's top of the top. I'd argue for Nadal, Federer, Kuerten, Ferreo, Borg, Vilas and Coria for the best clay courters, talent wise, ever.

mtw
02-07-2007, 02:54 PM

With this doping in G. Coria's case. Maybe it was only a mistake or a sin of young age ( for instance he wanted to try, how it is after doping and took only one or a few tablets or he did not know, what he took. You must consider many possibilities.). It is really not very important. You see, that he does not look like strong man ( for instance Pudzianowski, who can draw along a container lorry ). Guille Coria cannot make it. He looks rather normal and modestly. And this second player looked rather normal too.
Besides G. Coria has talent and played very good and especially he has very good technique of play. I think, that this is more important than deliberations, wheather he took a few years ago a one pill with anabolic or maybe a few ones .
I think, that he will be healthy soon and he will come back to play.

joeb_uk
02-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Coria is one of the most missed things in tennis! How much I would like to see him playing at his best again, even when Nadal came along it was still entertaining to watch them play. He is surely a very talented player, and he is smart too. But of course he lacks the mental strength to match up with his court smart and craft :sad:

sykotique
02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Coria is of course a player who excels on clay more than any other surface, but to claim he can only play well on clay would not be accurate.

I would not claim that Coria can only play well on clay, that would be remiss of me. However, his technique, movement and tactical acumen are best suited to the red earth. He can transition reasonably well to other surfaces, whereas there are other players that can transition exceptionally well to other surfaces. Nadal is perhaps a purer claycourter in terms of strategy than Guille but even he has more impressive results outside of clay than Coria.

To my mind, if you want to make a claim that a player is one of the most talented, it can't be a case of he plays exceptionally well on one surface and reasonably well on others. He should reach such a level that he is a serious force (not just someone who can "beat anyone on their day") on each surface. All court capability, in my opinion, factors in very highly when determining talent. Coria is, of course, one of the best to never have won a Slam, but that certainly does not make him a superior player.

For the most part, the truly talented players are the ones who actually succeed.

vincayou
02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
The lost final in RG has really destroyed him psychologically.

He' remains a real contender (with Fed and Nadal) for RG if he comes back at 100%.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I was playing it safe, but sure, talent wise he's top of the top. I'd argue for Nadal, Federer, Kuerten, Ferreo, Borg, Vilas and Coria for the best clay courters, talent wise, ever.
Federer??? Ferrero????

I mean as good as these guys are, I would suggest neither of them are that talented on clay. In fact I'd go so far as suggest even Ferrero's best surface is probably hard courts, no matter what results may indicate.

sykotique
02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Federer??? Ferrero????

I mean as good as these guys are, I would suggest neither of them are that talented on clay. In fact I'd go so far as suggest even Ferrero's best surface is probably hard courts, no matter what results may indicate.

You're stretching it. Ferrero has a game that transitions well to other surfaces, but there's not doubt that clay accentuates his speed.

And Federer is actually quite good on clay. Barring Nadal, there isn't a top player that Federer hasn't defeated on the surface, even before he became the Federer of today - and that includes Coria.

jayjay
02-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Federer??? Ferrero????

You are really doing a dis-service to Coria's genuine and high class talents by going over board and in the process down playing the genuine talent of others. To suggest Ferrero is not that talented on clay or otherwise is just absurd.

jayjay
02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I would not claim that Coria can only play well on clay, that would be remiss of me. However, his technique, movement and tactical acumen are best suited to the red earth. He can transition reasonably well to other surfaces, whereas there are other players that can transition exceptionally well to other surfaces. Nadal is perhaps a purer claycourter in terms of strategy than Guille but even he has more impressive results outside of clay than Coria.

To my mind, if you want to make a claim that a player is one of the most talented, it can't be a case of he plays exceptionally well on one surface and reasonably well on others. He should reach such a level that he is a serious force (not just someone who can "beat anyone on their day") on each surface. All court capability, in my opinion, factors in very highly when determining talent. Coria is, of course, one of the best to never have won a Slam, but that certainly does not make him a superior player.

For the most part, the truly talented players are the ones who actually succeed.

Good post. :hatoff:

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
You are really doing a dis-service to Coria's genuine and high class talents by going over board and in the process down playing the genuine talent of others. To suggest Ferrero is not that talented on clay or otherwise is just absurd.
He is very talented, I just don't think he's in the Nadal, Borg league.

I genuinely believe Coria is amazingly talented with a tennis racket, just because he doesn't possess the power (I mean who are we to say how tall we're born), I don't think it should be over looked.

tangerine_dream
02-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Coria is one of the most missed things in tennis! How much I would like to see him playing at his best again, even when Nadal came along it was still entertaining to watch them play. He is surely a very talented player, and he is smart too. But of course he lacks the mental strength to match up with his court smart and craft :sad:
I miss watching Coria, too. His 2005 Rome final vs Nadal was brilliant.

tanga
02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Is anibody knows something about the result of the trial?
Galathea? You always seem to know a lot about the argentinian tennis...

jayjay
02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
He is very talented, I just don't think he's in the Nadal, Borg league.

I genuinely believe Coria is amazingly talented with a tennis racket, just because he doesn't possess the power (I mean who are we to say how tall we're born), I don't think it should be over looked.

Coria is a fantastic talent, he doesn't need to be tall or strong to have excellent results. He has already shown that in his career. There are other qualities a player can have besides being tall, strong or having a great serve. Like speed around the court, tactical acumen and so on and so on.

I think you are wrong to pick and choose what talent is, as someone who is big and strong is not automatically a better player, they still have to harness their talent to fit with the game they want to employ. Different people have different attributes, some players may be blessed with a high level of natural power and others are blessed with great speed, and some are lucky enough to possess both. But talent still needs to be harnessed, it's not automatic.

As for Ferrero, I agree he is not in the Nadal or Borg league, but Ferrero can make claims to be considered a great clay court player. He is one. He's not an average one. He dominated clay for two years. And won RG in the process. Unfortunately, Coria did not capitalise to the full extent he could and should have when he was dominant on clay during 2003/2004.

Galathea
02-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Is anibody knows something about the result of the trial?
Galathea? You always seem to know a lot about the argentinian tennis...

I have a very good friends on important charges of the AAT (Argie Tennis asociation) and also friends very close to Nalbandian (plus I'm from Cordoba too and have common friends ;) ) Also I know people at the Vilas Club (from example Cañas trainned there during his suspension)
From what I know, Coria won the trial in USA. I have to check because now I have some doubts (and all the AAT is crazy with the DC tie) but I think he had to travel to get a notification of the sentence or something similar (not sure about the procedure in USA). But the thing, sadly, is Coria is not playing and is not close to the AAT like he was before. He even stopped trainning until a couple of months ago. Now he's injured again (he dropped playing in Chile because of that). So that's why there could be confused information about him. He's not in contact (like the others) with the AAT

tanga
02-07-2007, 06:18 PM
thanks. But if he won I don't get why we don't heard anythings about it:confused: If he won it 's good for him, so why doesn't he say it?

And I have to say I hardly post here because I suck in english but I'm a long time lurking and I do enjoy read your post.

So you think he is actually injured? I thought he pulled out because he doesn't feel ready for a come back.
I miss him :sad:

kinglear
02-07-2007, 06:20 PM

I'm glad you made this thread because I do really like Coria. He reminds me of Hingis in many ways. He doesn't have much power, but plenty of style and intelligence. Then again, Nadal is very talented and he's been very successful, but I agree that Coria has some very good hands. He has some of the best. :worship:

Galathea
02-07-2007, 06:23 PM
And about this whole dopping thing. I think someone should make a thread to discuss this SERIOUSLY. Meaning posters like Peoples and others simple bashers that can't see anything because they have their heads on their butts, should be ruled out or had the decency to not post.

The ATP is not to blame in Coria's case. But Cañas? He used a medicine prescribe by ATP doctors. And got this suspension reduced. He said he took responsability for trusting and not checking but after all he consulted people from the ATP, not any doctor.
Another similar case? Nalbandian. NO, he didn't get possitive BUT he could have if he took what the ATP doctors prescribed him in Canada: I told this before. He got a virus there, he was seriously ill and the ATP doctors prescribed some medicines he needed. His team, considering Cañas' case, asked to the ATP if they were going to backed up their doctors prescriptions. The ATP never gave a direct answer. Nalbandian went safe and used a "lighther medicine". The problem? that virus has sequels after the fever for almost 7 months (give or take) WITH the adecuate medicine. The sequels are: basically a considerable lost of streanght, but also cramps, dizziness, stomach problems (even cramps there). Nalbo had to play like that since Canada to even Shangai (including DC ties). The first test that came ok, was the one he made in Spain before the DC final. But not only that, during the indoor season (Vienna) he got injured (his tendonitis started there), great part for forcing his body and play sick. He is totally to blame in the sense that he didn't play enought tournaments to go to Shangai before.
But, thanks to the aTP his choices were: an almost secure possitive dopping for using the medicines the ATP doctor prescribed or playing sick with something that was more serious than a simple flu for almost 5 months.

Cañas possitive dopping And Nalbandian's physical problems because he tried to avoid a possitive dopping are serious examples of something the ATP should be worry about, at least more than the stupid RR format.
ANd I'm pretty sure there are a lot of cases of possitive dopping for medicines prescribed by the ATP's people

jayjay
02-07-2007, 06:29 PM
And about this whole dopping thing. I think someone should make a thread to discuss this SERIOUSLY. Meaning posters like Peoples and others simple bashers that can't see anything because they have their heads on their butts, should be ruled out or had the decency to not post.

The ATP is not to blame in Coria's case. But Cañas? He used a medicine prescribe by ATP doctors. And got this suspension reduced. He said he took responsability for trusting and not checking but after all he consulted people from the ATP, not any doctor.
Another similar case? Nalbandian. NO, he didn't get possitive BUT he could have if he took what the ATP doctors prescribed him in Canada: I told this before. He got a virus there, he was seriously ill and the ATP doctors prescribed some medicines he needed. His team, considering Cañas' case, asked to the ATP if they were going to backed up their doctors prescriptions. The ATP never gave a direct answer. Nalbandian went safe and used a "lighther medicine". The problem? that virus has sequels after the fever for almost 7 months (give or take) WITH the adecuate medicine. The sequels are: basically a considerable lost of streanght, but also cramps, dizziness, stomach problems (even cramps there). Nalbo had to play like that since Canada to even Shangai (including DC ties). The first test that came ok, was the one he made in Spain before the DC final. But not only that, during the indoor season (Vienna) he got injured (his tendonitis started there), great part for forcing his body and play sick. He is totally to blame in the sense that he didn't play enought tournaments to go to Shangai before.
But, thanks to the aTP his choices were: an almost secure possitive dopping for using the medicines the ATP doctor prescribed or playing sick with something that was more serious than a simple flu for almost 5 months.

Cañas possitive dopping And Nalbandian's physical problems because he tried to avoid a possitive dopping are serious examples of something the ATP should be worry about, at least more than the stupid RR format.
ANd I'm pretty sure there are a lot of cases of possitive dopping for medicines prescribed by the ATP's people

:worship:

allero
02-07-2007, 06:44 PM

I think I'm leaving MTF.

It would not suprise me, because as the quality poster you are, you really deserve better. This is easily the worst board I've seen on the internet. There's just such an amount of posters who start to insult other players or even other posters, because of things like nationality or just because they are praising other players and not their own. When they read words/names like "Coria" "Cañas" or "Argentina" they continually destroy every single thread with their stereotype doping insults even though with just a little bit of knowledge they would know that they aren't to blame. Easily the worst board, no other one comes close.

Peoples
02-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Why is everyone drawing conclusions on Argentines that they are cheats? Do the doping offenders Chela, Puerta, Canas and Coria have anything in common to let anyone draw these conclusions :confused:

safinaferrero
02-08-2007, 01:39 AM
Don't think Coria is the most talented player on tour for me he's just a good player on clay and when he's in shape ;)
and about doping case can't stand ppl just that generalize to all the argentinians if some have been suspended doesn't mean all the argies use banned medicine.
I'm sure many tp are doped but they are lucky for the moment they haven't been caught....yet.

Carito_90
02-08-2007, 01:42 AM
I can't believe I went through the first page and no one had told him to shut the fuck up.

ufokart
02-08-2007, 02:13 AM

I think I'm leaving MTF.

Hope you can get over it, i know it will be hard, but you can do it :hug:

:p :lol:

Nah, seriously, last year when Puerta got his suspension reduced i tried to discuss it with some people here, but it's actually like talking to a brick wall :banghead:

before, they irritated me, now they kind of amuse me with the constant stupid rants :lol:

Plus i don't really give a damn about them so for the most part i try to ignore them :angel:

I never received a bad rep, maybe i will receive one soon :scared: :rolls:

GlennMirnyi
02-08-2007, 02:42 AM
Why are you Argies so bad to me? I don't make this kind of comments... :sad:

ChinoRios4Ever
02-08-2007, 03:07 AM
willy is too talented

no doubt about it

jayjay
02-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Nah, seriously, last year when Puerta got his suspension reduced i tried to discuss it with some people here, but it's actually like talking to a brick wall :banghead:

I think that is incredibly insulting to brick walls. How would you feel if you were a brick wall and your intelligence was compared to someone like "peoples"?

ufokart
02-08-2007, 03:49 AM
I think that is incredibly insulting to brick walls. How would you feel if you were a brick wall and your intelligence was compared to someone like "peoples"?

Do you want me to make a formal apology to the brick wall? :p :rolls:

GlennMirnyi
02-08-2007, 03:54 AM

You should, Edu. :D

Federer&Hingis
02-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Most talented in WTA ???

:haha: :haha: :haha:

jayjay
02-08-2007, 04:06 AM

You've offended walls all over the world, both young and old. So a public apology is certainly in order. Or you can find the nearest wall and take a can of spray paint and mark out the words "At least you're not as thick as peoples". Then the walls shall forgive you. :)

Peoples
02-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Of course everybody else is guilty if your favorite player is a doper. Too bad he can't use drugs now, he serves like an old woman and has trouble winning a single ATP match :haha:

mtw
02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Of course everybody else is guilty if your favorite player is a doper. Too bad he can't use drugs now, he serves like an old woman and has trouble winning a single ATP match :haha:

This doping case of G. Coria is exaggerated too much. Maybe he took something, when he was teenager or maybe not and he was captured and punished very quick and quite severe.
He had problems with serves, because of problems with arm. He was not healthy ( fit ) to play normally.
Besides he is very good and talented player. He can play good on clay and hard surface too.
Björn Borg was not very tall and strong built and he won Wimbledon 2 times.

oz_boz
02-08-2007, 12:50 PM
This doping case of G. Coria is exaggerated too much. Maybe he took something, when he was teenager or maybe not and he was captured and punished very quick and quite severe.
He had problems with serves, because of problems with arm. He was not healthy ( fit ) to play normally.
Besides he is very good and talented player. He can play good on clay and hard surface too.
Björn Borg was not very tall and strong built and he won Wimbledon 2 times.

Ahem, my fellow countryman won Wimbledon FIVE times, in a row too, 1976-80. He was not very tall but 2 inches taller than Coria, which is quite a difference considering he was born 25 years before Guille, when the average height of people must have been less than now.

Coria and Borg are different for so many reasons, I think your parallell is far fetched to say the least.

jazar
02-08-2007, 01:20 PM
he is talented, but not the most talented and he is also wasting what talent he has

DrJules
02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Ahem, my fellow countryman won Wimbledon FIVE times, in a row too, 1976-80. He was not very tall but 2 inches taller than Coria, which is quite a difference considering he was born 25 years before Guille, when the average height of people must have been less than now.

Coria and Borg are different for so many reasons, I think your parallell is far fetched to say the least.

Borg was taller than Connors and about the same height as McEnroe. Players on average were shorter in the late 70's and 80's.

jazar
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Borg was taller than Connors and about the same height as McEnroe. Players on average were shorter in the late 70's and 80's.

i think people in general were slightly shorter in the 70s and 80s

mtw
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM

I think, that Guillermo Coria is very good too. He is quite young and has chances for win in Grand Slam tour, if he is well and fit. Besides he succeeded. He played really well.
Besides growth does not play very significant role in this sports ( I didn' see matches of Björn Borg, because I am not from his generation, but my older brother was his fan and he has told about it, that Borg was very smart and he could win with opponents, who had better physical conditions. He owes it to his cleverness and not silhouette of culturist. If growth and muscle would play any significant role in tennis, Mariusz Pudzianowski would be the best. And you see on the example of Rafael Nadal, that he has many muscles and good physical conditions, but he is not the best. ) I think, that Coria was quite clever too. Sometimes he had not selfconfidence enough ( maybe because of problems with arm. I don't know).

Morgan Z
02-08-2007, 02:02 PM
You have a point with his talent, but I think that he still falls behind Federer by a bit.

Julio1974
02-08-2007, 02:29 PM
You have a point with his talent, but I think that he still falls behind Federer by a bit.

by a bit? :lol:

I have always defended Coria in this forum but you can't compare him with Federer. Federer schooled him in Hamburg when Coria was at his peak.

Morgan Z
02-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Haha. I wasn't being serious when I said 'a bit'.

mtw
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Haha. I wasn't being serious when I said 'a bit'.

Guillermo Coria is good and has talent. He presented very nice, subtle art of play ( of course, when he had not problems with arm ). Federer is unique. He has not only cleverness, but very good physical conditions too. When he is in good form, he is not to beating. Comparison Federer with other players in peak of his form has no sense. Actually every of the top - ranked players looks very pale in comparison to Federer. And even Roger fades in comparison to Mariusz Pudzianowski ( you can see it in google: subtitle: images ). Can Roger drag a lorry?

hosky
02-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I agree with you partially, but he is not so healthy or powerful recently. Hope 2 c him soon

Burrow
02-09-2007, 06:49 PM
hahahahahahahahhahahaha serving not a tennis talent lmfao hahaha and coria msot talented hahahahhahaha

mtw
02-10-2007, 08:17 PM
hahahahahahahahhahahaha serving not a tennis talent lmfao hahaha and coria msot talented hahahahhahaha

G. Coria is very good and talented. This is true.

safinaferrero
02-11-2007, 03:06 AM
Absolutely not :o

SaltoKlose
02-11-2007, 03:39 AM
Coria good player... but no where near the most talented.

mtw
02-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Coria good player... but no where near the most talented.

He is good player and very talented. Nobody says, that he is the most talented. What does it mean - the most talented? He is very good and very talented.

BgStallion
02-11-2007, 04:56 PM

To be honest the only big talent Coria has is his speed and that's why he was a good retriever. That's not a pure tennis talent - it's a talent like technique,serving and power :)

Peoples
02-11-2007, 04:57 PM
He is good player and very talented. Nobody says, that he is the most talented. What does it mean - the most talented? He is very good and very talented.

"Good very talented players" don't play like shit. They don't play like WTA either. Having a serve in the mens game is a must to be considered talented.

SaltoKlose
02-12-2007, 02:11 AM

The title of the thread asks the question if Coria is "Most talented?"...

I'm just saying no.... what the hell do you want?

mtw
02-12-2007, 09:35 AM
"Good very talented players" don't play like shit. They don't play like WTA either. Having a serve in the mens game is a must to be considered talented.

Are you jealous? Did he win with your favourites or maybe with you? Is tennis real the ,,mens game'' in 100%? I thought, that soccer. He does not play like shit. He can play very good and is good player.

mtw
02-12-2007, 09:39 AM
The title of the thread asks the question if Coria is "Most talented?"...

I'm just saying no.... what the hell do you want?

The title is very strange. There are no the most talented or the minimal talented people.
Coria is good and talented and that's all and when he is fit, then he can play very good.

oz_boz
02-12-2007, 11:10 AM
I didn' see matches of Björn Borg, because I am not from his generation, but my older brother was his fan and he has told about it, that Borg was very smart and he could win with opponents, who had better physical conditions. He owes it to his cleverness and not silhouette of culturist.

I think, that Coria was quite clever too. Sometimes he had not selfconfidence enough ( maybe because of problems with arm. I don't know).

Borg best weapon might have been his outstanding mental toughness, but his physical condition was a big part of it too. He hit as hard or harder than most other players, and he was very consistent. Smartness was a part of his success, but nor nearly as much as it is for Coria.

If i'd say any player of today resembles Borg, it would have to be Nadal. Still maybe not a good parallell, but better than Coria.

mtw
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
If i'd say any player of today resembles Borg, it would have to be Nadal. Still maybe not a good parallell, but better than Coria.

Borg resembles Nadal, like Diego Maradona resembles Mariusz Pudzianowski.

oz_boz
02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I didn' see matches of Björn Borg

Borg resembles Nadal, like Diego Maradona resembles Mariusz Pudzianowski.

After reading the first quote, the second makes sense.

Conita
02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Coria had amazing hands and timing which is why he could get away with a mediocre serve and win matches, too bad his head is far behind, hope he can come back, though i dislike him as a person his tennis is missed especially on clay season, it was a joy to watch him make some shots. like a drop shot of the serve it was brilliant, however not the most talented.

mtw
02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
After reading the first quote, the second makes sense.

I havent seen his matches, but I've seen him. The comparison is very adequate.

mtw
02-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Coria had amazing hands and timing which is why he could get away with a mediocre serve and win matches, too bad his head is far behind, hope he can come back, though i dislike him as a person his tennis is missed especially on clay season, it was a joy to watch him make some shots. like a drop shot of the serve it was brilliant, however not the most talented.

He played quite well, he has talent and he is very good. That's true, that he is not the Titan of serve, but he has other advantages for instance speed, good technique of plays. And this is not true, that he can play well only on clay. He won on other surfaces in the past too. The last year was bad for him, probably because of injuries of shoulder.
I don't know, where his head during the match is, because I have not talent to read in minds. But I see, that some people in this forum possess this talent. I think, that as a person, he is quite normal and looks modest. Maybe he has too little confidence for himself.

Burrow
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM

Yes he can hold a racket (probably) but not much else at the moment.

mtw
02-14-2007, 12:56 PM

He is very good and very talented and he can play very well, when he is fit and healthy.

oscar_2424
02-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Is Coria playing any tournament now?

Peoples
02-14-2007, 02:05 PM
You know, sometimes it's the quality of argument and not the quantity that matters...would you give it a break with the "very good and very talented" :haha:

Besides he is good and talented player.
Besides G. Coria has talent and played very good and especially he has very good technique of play.
Guillermo Coria is good and has talent.
G. Coria is very good and talented. This is true.
He does not play like shit. He can play very good and is good player.
Coria is good and talented and that's all and when he is fit, then he can play very good.
He played quite well, he has talent and he is very good.
He is very good and very talented and he can play very well, when he is fit and healthy.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-14-2007, 02:08 PM

Good one, Peoples!

mtw
02-14-2007, 02:42 PM

Good one, Peoples!

The most pathetic by Agassi was his moaning after match with Benjamin Becker. It was really funny.

oz_boz
02-14-2007, 03:02 PM
You know, sometimes it's the quality of argument and not the quantity that matters...would you give it a break with the "very good and very talented" :haha:

:spit:

mtw
02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
:spit:

??

Carlita
02-14-2007, 03:24 PM
:sobbing:

but he is.....very good and very talented :awww:

;)

Puma!
02-14-2007, 05:21 PM
The only thing Coria was talented for was being a pain in the ass.

:)

And double faulting.

:D

Is he ever coming back?

Peoples
02-14-2007, 08:47 PM
The most pathetic by Agassi was his moaning after match with Benjamin Becker. It was really funny.

A little off topic, no? :confused: Where's your #11?

mtw
02-15-2007, 03:19 PM
A little off topic, no? :confused: Where's your #11?

What dou you want from him? Did he make something wrong to you? The title was Coria - most talented? And I can say, that in my opinion he is talented and good, because I have such opinion and the freedom of opinion alows to speak my mind. What should I write more about this subject?
Why do all people want to offend this player. I like his play. If anybody does not like his play and his, then can choose another player to admiring - Complete and most talented, if G. Coria is not good enough to watch his play in your estimation.

Carlita
02-15-2007, 03:21 PM
What dou you want from him? Did he make something wrong to you? The title was Coria - most talented? And I can say, that in my opinion he is talented and good, because I have such opinion and the freedom of opinion alows to speak my mind. What should I write more about this subject?
Why do all people want to offend this player. I like his play. If anybody does not like his play and his, then can choose another player to admiring - Complete and most talented, if G. Coria is not good enough to watch his play in your estimation.peoples was talking about your post about Agassi..... that one was off topic

mtw
02-15-2007, 03:30 PM
peoples was talking about your post about Agassi..... that one was off topic

Is Agassi a owner of this internet page? Or is he a holy cow? His behave was pathetic and rather funny. This was not typical men's farewell. People must go away, life is just. But they want to behave worthy and not lamentably. Maybe he wanted gave a little joy for onlookers for the end of carreer.

Carlita
02-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Is Agassi a owner of this internet page? Or is he a holy cow? His behave was pathetic and rather funny. This was not typical men's farewell. People must go away, life is just. But they want to behave worthy and not lamentably. Maybe he wanted gave a little joy for onlookers for the end of carreer.sorry but you've completely lost me now...... That fact has nothing to do with Coria's talent.....so therefor it was off topic....oh nevermind...... :yawn:

mtw
02-15-2007, 03:53 PM
sorry but you've completely lost me now...... That fact has nothing to do with Coria's talent.....so therefor it was off topic....oh nevermind...... :yawn:

I'm sorry, it was only a digression. This subject was a little bit boring. All people know, that Coria is good and talented and I wanted change a subject to vary. Besides author of this title and this second man irritated me.

Conita
02-15-2007, 05:22 PM

i said HAD!

Conita
02-15-2007, 05:29 PM
He played quite well, he has talent and he is very good. That's true, that he is not the Titan of serve, but he has other advantages for instance speed, good technique of plays. And this is not true, that he can play well only on clay. He won on other surfaces in the past too. The last year was bad for him, probably because of injuries of shoulder.
I don't know, where his head during the match is, because I have not talent to read in minds. But I see, that some people in this forum possess this talent. I think, that as a person, he is quite normal and looks modest. Maybe he has too little confidence for himself.

sorry i think maybe u missunderstood my post.
what i meant was that Coria's head seems to be what keeps him from winning matches, by that i mean his talent is far ahead than his mental strength, i don't see how this is a surprise. i didn't say anything about him not being able to play on other surfaces i just said that he is especially missed on clay and about how he is in person, he isn't exactly mr.congeniality and he has been very rude to other players as well as fans, and by fans i don't mean other player fans but his own, he has refused to sign autographs and stuff, which is why i dislike him.