Can Roddick Win A Major Clay Title Within 2 Years? If so, which one? [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Can Roddick Win A Major Clay Title Within 2 Years? If so, which one?

Pages : 1 [2]

Ferrero Forever
10-01-2004, 08:25 AM
i think the competition for roddick is too great, he can win clay tournies, but i don't think rg will ever be his. Besides he doesn't seem to care if he wins it or not

Marc Rosset is Tall
10-01-2004, 08:34 AM
No uproar? LOL. Talk about looking at the exact same thing in totally different ways.

True, I am just enjoying the feeling of talking tennis on a tennis message board. :)

Chloe le Bopper
10-01-2004, 08:45 AM
True, I am just enjoying the feeling of talking tennis on a tennis message board. :)
It's odd how that happens once in a while, isn't it?

(I wasn't meaning to imply that completely different takes on a matter is a *bad* thing, btw. I just find the contrast in this case to be nothing short of hilarious.)

Marc Rosset is Tall
10-01-2004, 08:55 AM
It's odd how that happens once in a while, isn't it?

Yes, it's very scary and surprising how this has happened and there seem to be some overriding themes here.

WyveN
10-01-2004, 09:10 AM
(I wasn't meaning to imply that completely different takes on a matter is a *bad* thing, btw. I just find the contrast in this case to be nothing short of hilarious.)

I think the uproar would be far louder if Sampras skipped the clay season a couple of times because he didnt see any point in playing it.

Marc Rosset is Tall
10-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Sometimes maybe Sampras thought that he should have skipped the clay season, but if he did then Kafelnikov never would have got a victory against him.

TheBoiledEgg
10-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Why do I think that he won slams on 4 surfaces? Was one of his Aussie titles on grass or not? :confused:

Two of his Aussie Open's titles were on grass ;)
third in 1988 on rebound Ace

so Mats was the FIRST person to win a slam on each diff surface and Not Agassi :worship:

Zetlandsk
10-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Two of his Aussie Open's titles were on grass ;)
third in 1988 on rebound Ace

so Mats was the FIRST person to win a slam on each diff surface and Not Agassi :worship:

This would not have been forgotten about if Mats was an American.

Mats :worship:

Chloe le Bopper
10-01-2004, 08:06 PM
I think the uproar would be far louder if Sampras skipped the clay season a couple of times because he didnt see any point in playing it.
A lot of people consider Sampras to be the greatest player of all time. Yes, for the "greatest player of all time" to skip an entire part of the season would be blasphemous. For Alex Corretja to do it? Not as big of a deal. That doesn't mean there is not "uproar" when he does it, however.

Yashirobai
10-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Things could change a lot in 2 years so, who knows, he might win something in 2006, even in 2005, but I just don't see that happening, I think there are always too many better players than him (many Spaniards, many Argentinians, Federer, Agassi, etc. and many ordinary guys -just like Mutis- that can beat him on clay) in any major clay tournament to say there is a realistic possibility for him to win one; so I voted no.

WyveN
10-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Not as big of a deal. That doesn't mean there is not "uproar" when he does it, however.

There was no uproar, relative to what it could have been ;)

Chloe le Bopper
10-02-2004, 02:26 AM
As I said, obviously when an all time great does something it's going to get more attention than when somebody else does it.

FryslanBoppe
10-02-2004, 04:17 AM
Sometimes maybe Sampras thought that he should have skipped the clay season, but if he did then Kafelnikov never would have got a victory against him.

:)

alfonsojose
10-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Family Circle Cup ;)

MisterQ
10-02-2004, 05:25 AM
:lol:

FryslanBoppe
10-02-2004, 05:30 AM
Family Circle Cup ;)

Very droll. :)

Action Jackson
02-02-2005, 01:38 AM
I am in the mood for talking about tennis, so here is the bump of this thread.

Now RG is the next Slam and actually Andy's performances weren't that bad in Sevilla and the clay won't be that slow, but I still don't see him winning a major title on clay where he has to beat quality players.

He doesn't have the patience to grind out the results, he has to do more than serve well. At the same time I am not sure how much he really wants to improve on the surface, when the incentive for him isn't there, as he doesn't need to do it to keep his ranking up, though it will be better for his game if he can get some better results.

Leena, this doesn't mean Houston.

Leena
02-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Thanks for bumping this. It was so necessary.

I think Andy has a good chance to win Rome.

Action Jackson
02-02-2005, 01:42 AM

Well it's not a hating thread at all, it talks about his game on clay.

Rome in theory should be his best chance to do something on the surface.

Sosa
02-02-2005, 01:44 AM
Rome..naaa...I don't think so. I'll be there though :yeah:

Domino
02-02-2005, 01:46 AM

It's his best chance, but no. There are better people suited for the faster surface who know how to use the clay to their advantage.

Action Jackson
02-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Leena

Andy sucks hard on clay now, but he has the tools to improve. A forehand with good topspin. He moves quite well on clay. He just needs to learn how to build a decent gameplan for the surface.

Interesting summary though I don't necessarily agree with it. I don't think he moves that well on the surface at all, he has looked very heavy when he is moving on clay and even in the DC final he was outclassed by better players and it was his serve that kept him in it.

Actually as good as his forehand is, it's not as effective on clay as it should be. I mean you get clowns saying look at Moya he has no backhand and he is good on clay, but the DC final proved why he is, he has a tactical sense on that surface that Roddick will never have.

Sure he could S/V more, but he doesn't have the right kind of fitness to do it consistently as was shown in the Nadal match.

bad gambler
02-02-2005, 01:47 AM
no

Leena
02-02-2005, 02:01 AM
I know there's a tiny, tiny chance that Andy could win Rome... but I'm positive.

I think he's definitely going to reach the later rounds of one of these clay tournies, though... as bad as people say he is, all his matches are very close and competitive on clay. And it's not just his serve keeping him in it.

Action Jackson
02-02-2005, 02:09 AM
I know there's a tiny, tiny chance that Andy could win Rome... but I'm positive.

I think he's definitely going to reach the later rounds of one of these clay tournies, though... as bad as people say he is, all his matches are very close and competitive on clay. And it's not just his serve keeping him in it.

The thing is he had better results when he just start coming through the ranks, and they have stagnated since he reached the elite level.

He had better wins then, and his performances were better. I mean I didn't think he was going to get past that has been Chang, but that was a good win and then the retirement against Hewitt which was a very competitive match, the thing is he was better on clay then, he has improved on all the other surfaces but this one.

That match against Sargsian at RG wasn't competive and really he had no business losing to Mutis and that last set wasn't competitive.

Cañas handled him easily in Rome and he didn't turn up at the other TMS events Hamburg and Monte Carlo.

robinhood
02-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Doesn't seem like it's going to happen soon....
But never say never!

Prizeidiot
02-03-2005, 04:53 AM
I doubt it.... he'll have to radically change his mindset, and probably improve his movement and grounstroke consistency. He could be competetive though.

At the moment, the clay court players will just grind him down on the surface. He tends to have the mentality that if he can't belt the other guy off court, he has nothing.

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 08:02 AM
It won't happen, then again many strange things have happened in sports, but I think this one will be safe, then again he can keep on winning Houston.

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 08:13 AM

True, the match against Mutis was quite competitive in RG04... :devil:

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 08:17 AM
True, the match against Mutis was quite competitive in RG04... :devil:

Yes, the last set when Mutis had the big Duck confused that he wanted to leave his claypot sorry claycourt but couldn't escape.

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 08:20 AM
In the same style: Will Mantilla win a grass court tournament in the next 10 years ? Short answer: No ;)

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Yes, the last set when Mutis had the big Duck confused that he wanted to leave his claypot sorry claycourt but couldn't escape.
We could launch a thread: Will Mutis will beat Andrew again on clay ? That would be much more appropriate IMO :devil:

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 08:21 AM
In the same style: Will Mantilla win a grass court tournament in the next 10 years ? Short answer: No ;)

Why would care enough to degrade Mantilla like that? :)

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Why would care enough to degrade Mantilla like that? :)
Sorry I forgot he was one of your faves. Sorry for the degradation, but it has to be shared, Rod could not be the only target...

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Sorry I forgot he was one of your faves. Sorry for the degradation, but it has to be shared, Rod could not be the only target...

It's not that it's a problem, it's just Mantilla isn't usually someone that you bother about, even when he was in his prime, he had that effect.

You don't know me too well, if you don't think I can't bag out my favourite players.

Back to the subject Roddick is supposed to be one of the elite players, Mantilla isn't and won't be sadly. What do you think Andrew's problems are on the surface? As I said as he has improved elsewhere his results have gone backwards on clay, care to offer any reasons?

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Back to the subject Roddick is supposed to be one of the elite players, Mantilla isn't and won't be sadly. What do you think Andrew's problems are on the surface? As I said as he has improved elsewhere his results have gone backwards on clay, care to offer any reasons?
IMO Roddick has a similar game as Courier, so he could win a major clay tourney. I think he's used to go fast thanks to his service and he's not enough patience to win on clay, he gets bored. There might be other adjustements in footwork, sliding and lob/drop shot departments, but it's more a match frame he's not used to, a bit like Fed in 5-setters.

Action Jackson
02-03-2005, 09:10 AM
IMO Roddick has a similar game as Courier, so he could win a major clay tourney. I think he's used to go fast thanks to his service and he's not enough patience to win on clay, he gets bored. There might be other adjustements in footwork, sliding and lob/drop shot departments, but it's more a match frame he's not used to, a bit like Fed in 5-setters.

The first part of the sentence is something I don't agree with at all. Just because he has a few similarites with Courier doesn't mean he is going to win a major clay event.

Things not to be forgotten Courier came in where there was a void in the game especially on clay as Lendl and Wilander had gone. Muster was still not in shape and then the next generation of claycourters like Bruguera hadn't come through then. To be fair Courier took advantage of this and through his fitness and ball striking ability at the time was able to prosper at RG, something Roddick won't do plus he isn't fit enough to play for long period of time on the surface and able to back up as he can't get as many cheap points as he would elsewhere.

Horatio Caine
02-03-2005, 09:15 AM
No and neither of them! ;)

TheMightyFed
02-03-2005, 09:22 AM
The first part of the sentence is something I don't agree with at all. Just because he has a few similarites with Courier doesn't mean he is going to win a major clay event.

Things not to be forgotten Courier came in where there was a void in the game especially on clay as Lendl and Wilander had gone. Muster was still not in shape and then the next generation of claycourters like Bruguera hadn't come through then. To be fair Courier took advantage of this and through his fitness and ball striking ability at the time was able to prosper at RG, something Roddick won't do plus he isn't fit enough to play for long period of time on the surface and able to back up as he can't get as many cheap points as he would elsewhere.
Agree for the weaker field in clay at that time, but still similarities exist between the two players. Anyway I don't think he will win with the Argentinian and Spanish guys (including new comers) on one hand, and the Feds and Safins who are craving to win MS and RG on the other... no way ! Andrew, stick to the Queen's and boom-boom boring matches against Ancic and so on...

Leena
02-03-2005, 03:48 PM
It's not that it's a problem, it's just Mantilla isn't usually someone that you bother about, even when he was in his prime, he had that effect.

You don't know me too well, if you don't think I can't bag out my favourite players.

You only bag on Gaudio with your other names, though.

I can't say why Andy's clay court results have slipped... I don't know if they really even have that much. 2004 was a bad year, but Andy only played Houston, Rome, and RG. Canas in the 1st round of Rome is a very tough draw.

I hope Andy doesn't feel like it's not worth it to fight hard in these clay tournies.

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 01:12 AM
You only bag on Gaudio with your other names, though.

For someone who is so bright you have definitely missed the boat on this one, then again why would you read about someone that you don't like at all.

I can't say why Andy's clay court results have slipped... I don't know if they really even have that much. 2004 was a bad year, but Andy only played Houston, Rome, and RG. Canas in the 1st round of Rome is a very tough draw.

I hope Andy doesn't feel like it's not worth it to fight hard in these clay tournies.

I am actually for once trying to engage in a serious conversation with you. How haven't his results slipped? Well he virtually avoided the clay season in 2004 and it showed in his results and 2003 it wasn' t that much better, the only difference was he played more events and Canas was way out of form then and was still able to beat Roddick then and easily as well.

He has regressed on the surface as he has got better as a player overall.

Adman
02-04-2005, 08:48 AM
POSSIBLY! I think he might be able to win a clay tournament maybe in Rome.

Riley Finn
02-04-2005, 08:59 AM
DUH! This year he'll win Monte Carlo, Rome and Hamburg...next year it's Bracelona and FO time. And in 2007 He'll go undefeated on clay. And then I'm gonna give birth to elephant twins to add to my first elephant baby after Tim wins a gs.

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Will you name the elephant twins Tim and Andy?

Riley Finn
02-04-2005, 09:05 AM
well,the first one will be named Tim...the twins will be Andy and Dick.

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 09:07 AM
I heard it first a world exclusive on MTF.

Riley Finn
02-04-2005, 09:12 AM
use it wisely!

Action Jackson
02-04-2005, 09:14 AM
use it wisely!

Of course I will.

Action Jackson
03-02-2005, 12:07 AM
DUH! This year he'll win Monte Carlo, Rome and Hamburg...next year it's Bracelona and FO time. And in 2007 He'll go undefeated on clay. And then I'm gonna give birth to elephant twins to add to my first elephant baby after Tim wins a gs.

Please send photos as I want to see the evidence.

Action Jackson
03-02-2005, 01:34 AM
I doubt it.... he'll have to radically change his mindset, and probably improve his movement and grounstroke consistency. He could be competetive though.

At the moment, the clay court players will just grind him down on the surface. He tends to have the mentality that if he can't belt the other guy off court, he has nothing.

That is true and it's so obvious that the surface frustrates him and when some of the better players on the surface start getting the ball back, then he gets all frustrated.

Leena
03-02-2005, 01:42 AM
For someone who is so bright you have definitely missed the boat on this one, then again why would you read about someone that you don't like at all.

I only checked the posts of your old names. It wasn't hard. :p

Action Jackson
03-02-2005, 01:44 AM
I only checked the posts of your old names. It wasn't hard. :p

Is that right? Thank you for enlightening revelation. It's the first I have heard of it.

Action Jackson
03-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Could be true, but I doubt it. I don't know what his commitment level to the red clay is. Maybe he'll just say screw it, its not worth the energy, and move on to Wimbledon. If he does, and skips the big events, or doesn't show up to play, then he loses a lot of respect. I can't see him doing that though.

He doesn't have the aptitude or the willigness to improve on the surface. He'll turn up to some of the events and use them as fitness for Wimbledon while not believing he can win when he has to play better players on the surface.

Roddick is an exceptional athlete. Yes, there are fitter players, but he doesn't need to be as fit as the very best because of the style of his game. I watched all weekend and his fitness was fine. He moved very well against Ancic (I know Ancic isn't Coria or Nadal) and won a number of tough baseline rallies when Ancic was hitting some big groundies. And this was a very slow surface with a lot of long rallies.

What are you smoking? Roddick an exceptional athlete, the standards must have dropped if this is the case. Safin a much bigger guy and as an athlete Roddick wishes he could be that good. You seem to think that playing on hardcourt is the same as on clay as the types of fitness required? Ahem! if you think he is fit on clay watch the DC final matches especially the one against Nadal, that is not a fit athlete.

I don't think he lost the fifth against Ljubicic because of fitness, although you may disagree. I think he was emotionally spent after the fourth set tiebreak, and played a loose first game. After that, Ljubicic started with his injury, and began going for broke because he couldn't move as well. He made most of the big shots that he went for.

Managing the mind and the emotions are part of the game. He had a guy who has played plenty of tennis and even on the weekend and he couldn't put him away. Ljubicic wasn't injured, he was tired and used the rules to his advantage ( not that I approve of that) to get a breather. He has run out of steam so many times in recent defeats that it is an issue.

Definitely. Gilbert, whatever you think of his personality, was a perfect analytical match to complement Roddick's style. He was a very good scouter and knew how to formulate a smart game plan. Now, I'm not as sure, but we'll see over the course of this year. There have been some recent matches where Roddick seemed lost, not sure what to do, and has just fallen apart. This shouldn't happen. A good coach is extremly important, for both on the court and off the court reasons, and I'm just not sure whether things are positive right now. We'll see.

You're worrying me now. Gilbert was an absolute clay pigeon and had hatred for the surface and passed through all his phobias to Andy. I mean the guys results on clay were better under Benhabiles what does that tell you about Gilbert's coaching ? He didn't have a clue, witness the Mutis loss that was he got the ball back more and more, frustrated him and got the shits. If he had a plan then he should have been off the court in 4 sets.

The coach he has now, trained with Todd Martin. A guy not great on the dirt, but he managed to win Barcelona and could have good stuff.

Don't kid yourself Roddick is fit.

PaulieM
03-09-2005, 07:08 PM
to answer the thread's question... i guess he could, anything can happen. but i doubt he will, unless he drastically changes his game OR all the good or even halfway decent clay court players start to suck really bad or don't play.

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 05:19 AM
Well here is the halfway section of the 2 year period and I see he won't play Monte Carlo again, so that one is ruled out.

Yes, he had his wrist problem but has chosen to make his return in Houston. To answer the question I don't see him doing well in Rome or Hamburg, though I am not sure if he'll play both of them.

deliveryman
04-04-2005, 05:34 AM
I don't see it happening.

nkhera1
04-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Firts he needs to actually play in a Major Clay Event besides Roland Garros

NATAS81
04-04-2005, 05:54 AM
I don't see it happening. At least not this year as spin is so crucial on clay and with his wrist and all....

Action Jackson
04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Firts he needs to actually play in a Major Clay Event besides Roland Garros

What are you talking about he played Houston which is one of the best guides for Roland Garros success.

NATAS81
04-25-2005, 08:09 AM
Well the wrist seemed a non-issue at all @ Houston.

Just going to have to pump off consistant 140 mph aces to have any chance at all @ RG.

And draw doesn't help, as ESP/ARG are sprinkled throughout the top 50 evenly like chocolate crunchies on Carvel Cake.

heya
04-25-2005, 09:16 AM
The ARG/ESP people eliminate themselves all the time. Then, they disappear on hardcourt and grass.

I'm apalled that tennis isn't about serves. Why do these ARG/ESP people lose so much?

WyveN
04-25-2005, 09:41 AM
The ARG/ESP people eliminate themselves all the time. Then, they disappear on hardcourt and grass.

The same way Roddick disappears in big clay tournaments, so whats the difference?

Action Jackson
04-25-2005, 10:20 AM
The same way Roddick disappears in big clay tournaments, so whats the difference?

It's ok to do in the clay tournaments.

heya
04-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Clay doesn't require good coaching, experience, desire, fitness or agility.

This year, Henman will win a clay title before he wins his 1st grass title.

Nalbandian will win 12 titles in between 2005-2006.

Pete Sampras will come back.
He'll defeat Roddick in the Rome final.

Hewitt'll win all Hamburg matches by default.

Hewitt def Agassi
Sampras def Federer at RG.
FINAL- Sampras def Hewitt.

Coria def Gaudio at Wimbledon.
Gonzalez def Nadal
FINAL- Gonzalez def Coria.

Massu def Verdasco
Nalbandian def Youzhny at the USO.
FINAL- Massu def Nalbandian

Gaudio will win all other U.S. hardcourt titles.

syd
04-25-2005, 11:32 AM
10 persons voted he'll win RG ! :lol:

WyveN
04-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Virtually all top fast court players have made a run at a major clay tournament at one time or another, even guys like Ivanisevic who should have been all at sea on clay so chances are Roddick will get himself into the later rounds of a Masters title eventually, but winning it is probably another story.

Deboogle!.
04-25-2005, 02:17 PM
He's leaving for Europe on Thursday, he'll be at the tourneys this year :o

Action Jackson
04-25-2005, 02:24 PM
He's already won Houston that should be enough for clay legend status.

TheMightyFed
04-25-2005, 02:25 PM
He's already won Houston that should be enough for clay legend status.
Borg, Muster, Guga, and... Andy !!

nermo
04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
I think he can win one...and i feel it ll come soon

in the meantime...many claycourt specialists are not in their level...well except for the new hero ...Nadal
but looking for ferrero, Coria, GUga all arent well enough

and all others are beatable... :devil:

rue
04-26-2005, 05:42 AM
No he doesn't, I don't really think he can unless if he changes things in his game. His game was not built for clay and there are just too many good clay court players out there.

Action Jackson
04-30-2005, 06:12 AM
Ok, we are coming into Rome and then Hamburg and that will complete the 2 year period.

As we know Andy "Guga" Roddick has won Houston again and as we know Houston is a very accurate guide to success at RG and shows claycourt pedigree, though it's the second biggest claycourt event of them all, ialone it doesn't always transpire that Houston winners will do well at Rome, Hamburg.

There seems to be a lot of optomism around the Duckland camp that the 2005 season will bring better results on the Euro clay, but as the old saying goes seeing is believing. There seems to be a school of thought that all his great victories on clay have been discredited as playing in "Mickey Mouse" events where a lot of the top players on the surface don't always haven't played. Yet, these people who think Mr Andy Roddick's victories are discredited in many instances don't always practice what they preach, when it comes to other players ah! there are only good on clay and rubbish elsewhere.

Will the improvement continue or will the title of "claycourt clown" who can't do it where it counts be more apt. Tune in and the answers will be revealed.

WyveN
04-30-2005, 06:19 AM
If he has any chance it all it would be in Rome where the courts will assist his serve the most. Draw will be interesting.

Action Jackson
04-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Yes, Rome is very quick, though if they have cloudy weather that might change this and hopefully they won't stay in the same hotel as last year.

Action Jackson
05-01-2005, 03:24 AM
The odyssey for Roddick begins with Rusedski, not a bad draw for him, but seeing these two on clay is a must.

Skyward
05-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Pete Sampras will come back.
He'll defeat Roddick in the Rome final.

Hewitt'll win all Hamburg matches by default.

Hewitt def Agassi
Sampras def Federer at RG.
FINAL- Sampras def Hewitt.

Coria def Gaudio at Wimbledon.
Gonzalez def Nadal
FINAL- Gonzalez def Coria.

Massu def Verdasco
Nalbandian def Youzhny at the USO.
FINAL- Massu def Nalbandian

Gaudio will win all other U.S. hardcourt titles.

:haha: http://bestsmileys.com/signs11/10.gif

NATAS81
05-01-2005, 03:50 AM
The odyssey for Roddick begins with Rusedski, not a bad draw for him, but seeing these two on clay is a must.
We've seen what Andy can do on Houston clay.

binkygirl
05-01-2005, 05:20 AM
I don't see him winning one unless he makes some changes to his game. Like being more willing to set up points.

Action Jackson
05-01-2005, 08:49 AM
We've seen what Andy can do on Houston clay.

Well you know how seriously I take your posts.

misyou25
05-01-2005, 09:04 AM
it's a head-thing...he hates clay, thinks he cant win...he should change that attitude....as you all seen, he won houston...good start