Nadal Forehand!!!in Detail [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal Forehand!!!in Detail

seanog
02-06-2007, 06:07 PM
a two-time champion at Roland Garros, has already etched his name near the top of the list of the best clay-court players the game has ever seen. But thanks to his monster forehand, he’s a contender on all other surfaces as well. Here’s how he generates so much power and spin with it.

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/Instruction_Articles/Forehand/2006_12_15_nadal_1.jpg

1. Nadal’s preparation for his forehand is outstanding. Here you can see that he’s loaded and ready to go. His racquet is back, his shoulders are fully turned, his back is pretty straight— which I really like—and his legs are low and spaced well, giving him a wide base from which to hit. He’s using a full Western grip, which is great for generating topspin.

2. Nadal’s racquet is in virtually the same place as in the first frame, but he’s still adjusting his feet, leading me to think he may have gotten a bad bounce. Normally, I like to see continuous momentum with the racquet throughout the swing. Here it looks as if he might have checked his swing slightly. Even so, he’s doing a good job of getting his back leg almost behind the ball.

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/Instruction_Articles/Forehand/2006_12_15_nadal_2.jpg

3. His base is set and his left leg is planted. The racquet head is starting to drop and you can see that the face is completely closed. This is common in today’s game. Nadal’s right shoulder is just now starting to come through the contact zone. His legs and back are in perfect position, and
he’s low to the ball. I prefer to see a player get down with his legs like Nadal does rather than bend at the waist.

4. Nadal is pulling the right side of his body around first, and his left side is dragging behind. This helps him load up more power until he’s ready to let his swing rip. He’s beginning to come up with his legs, but, contrary to what you might expect, his weight is shifting toward his back foot rather than to his front, the way tennis players are traditionally taught.

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/Instruction_Articles/Forehand/2006_12_15_nadal_3.jpg

5. Here you clearly see one of the more unusual aspects of Nadal’s forehand. Typically, players who use a Western grip make contact close to their bodies and with a pronounced elbow bend. But Nadal strikes the ball with his left arm almost fully extended. Plus, he’s hitting the ball completely off his back foot, but his right side has come through and his upper body is open.

6. In this frame we can see how today’s forehand differs from the typical forehand of the 1970s and ’80s. Nadal and most pros these days have what I call a “windshield wiper” swing. This means that after he makes contact, Nadal swings his racquet across his body and flips it over, using the same motion as a windshield wiper. In the past, players typically extended through the hitting zone before following through to the other side of their bodies.

http://www.tennis.com/uploadedImages/Your_Game/Instruction_Articles/Forehand/2006_12_15_nadal_4.jpg

7. Another difference between today’s forehand and the one used in my era is that we were taught to follow through high and in the direction of our target and catch the racquet with our opposing hand. That’s not the case here; Nadal’s racquet has gone past his right hand and continues to wrap around his midsection. His weight has finally started to move to his right foot.

8. Amazingly, Nadal’s racquet has finished completely around his body. Look at the position of his right shoulder in the first photo and notice his left shoulder in this one. He was looking over his right shoulder at the beginning and ended looking over his left. This rotation is a great checkpoint for everyone, regardless of the forehand you use. If you can go shoulder to shoulder, you’ll ensure a full stroke.

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah great article I've read it in Tennis Magazine , but this shot is unique and very hard to copy

GlennMirnyi
02-06-2007, 07:21 PM
A detailed review of the ugliest and technically worst forehand of the circuit. Well done! :rolleyes:

€Stah
02-06-2007, 07:24 PM
A detailed review of the ugliest and technically worst forehand of the circuit. Well done! :rolleyes:

And the one owning the single handed bh of the world no.1:)

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 07:25 PM

maybe but it works like magic on clay and is killing Federer on every slower surface than grass or indoor

guga2120
02-06-2007, 07:35 PM
On clay this is the single best shot in mens tennis.

On fast surfaces not so effective, b/c he needs time to hit it, and the bounce on clay helps alot too. His backhand is actually more effective on other surfaces.

nobama
02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
maybe but it works like magic on clay and is killing Federer on every slower surface than grass or indoorYou mean like it did at AO this year? ;)

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 07:38 PM
You mean like it did at AO this year? ;)

did he played Federer at AO ??
Thank you

MisterQ
02-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks for that post. Like many of the greats, Nadal produces his strokes in his own idiosyncratic way. :lol:

DrJules
02-06-2007, 07:46 PM
maybe but it works like magic on clay and is killing Federer on every slower surface than grass or indoor

You mean like it did at AO this year? ;)

Nadal did not progress far enough to explore that idea at the US Open or Australian Open.

The Nadal forehand on indoor and on hard courts often seems to drop short and provide a pleasant high bouncing ball for the opponent to hit a winner.

The Nadal backhand is a cleaner hit and overall a better shot.

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Nadal did not progress far enough to explore that idea at the US Open or Australian Open.

The Nadal forehand on indoor and on hard courts often seems to drop short and provide a pleasant high bouncing ball for the opponent to hit a winner.

The Nadal backhand is a cleaner hit and overall a better shot.

Yeah I agree but it was still killing Fedrer two times in Miami(I know he lost once :devil: ) and in Dubai and work nice in Wimby and TMC

nobama
02-06-2007, 07:51 PM
did he played Federer at AO ??
Thank you
Of course not. That's my point. Who cares if it's "killing Federer" if he doesn't get far enought to play him? The reason Nadal's got a positive h2h against Federer is because Federer gets far enough on clay to face Nadal. ;)

€Stah
02-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Fact is:

Nadal FH vs. Fed BH

Nadal BH vs. Fed FH about even

Remember some huge BH CC shots by Nadal

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Of course not. That's my point. Who cares if it's "killing Federer" if he doesn't get far enought to play him? The reason Nadal's got a positive h2h against Federer is because Federer gets far enough on clay to face Nadal. ;)

Nadal vs Federer
4-0 on clay
2-1 on hardcourt
0-1 on grass
0-1 indoors

Federer = Rafa's bitch on clay

I know that since Wimby Nadal is not playing nowhere his best tennis, injuries problems with confidence and focus in tight moments but still Nadal's forehand is killing Roger not only on clay :devil:

dorkino
02-06-2007, 08:10 PM
OH GOD , why does every thread have to end up deadly talking about Nadal vs Fed. meetings blah, blah,....:sad:
Anyway , Interesting to read and honestly though it's seen as Nadal's first powerful shot and so, but i still think his backhand is and can be more dangerous for his opponents even though it meets their forehand sides.

But i have to say i think he hasn't invested it yet (perhaps he still not that comfortable with the backhand shot) but every now and then during his matches , u can see how deeper his backhands can get.

GlennMirnyi
02-06-2007, 08:11 PM
And the one owning the single handed bh of the world no.1:)

Guccione had no problem.

It's still ugly and ridiculous.

On fast surfaces not so effective, b/c he needs time to hit it, and the bounce on clay helps alot too. His backhand is actually more effective on other surfaces.

Moonballing. Of course.

Nadal vs Federer
4-0 on clay
2-1 on hardcourt
0-1 on grass
0-1 indoors

Federer = Rafa's bitch on clay

I know that since Wimby Nadal is not playing nowhere his best tennis, injuries problems with confidence and focus in tight moments but still Nadal's forehand is killing Roger not only on clay :devil:

You're talking about a guy that can't defeat Guccione. Get a clue.

guga2120
02-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Moonballing. Of course.

It seems to be fairly effective though doesn't it? on clay.

what do you mean he can't defeat Guccione?

Merton
02-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for that post. Like many of the greats, Nadal produces his strokes in his own idiosyncratic way. :lol:

I was thinking the same, actually Becker's volley came to my mind. :lol: By the way, Nadal's backhand is also peculiar, it reminds me more of a two-handed forehand.

guga2120
02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I was thinking the same, actually Becker's volley came to my mind. :lol: By the way, Nadal's backhand is also peculiar, it reminds me more of a two-handed forehand.

since hes actually right handed that is essentialy what it is.

R.Federer
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Comparison shot (with Becker McEnroe comments)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odz0gLYaspk

Bobby
02-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Quite a horrible looking shot really. It may be effective, but it sure looks strange. The technique has changed over the years, but I prefer an old school ground strokes.
Nadal's technique must be very consuming for him. His ground strokes are one of the reasons why I don't see him playing on the top when he's thirty.

Jim Courier
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
but this shot is unique and very hard to copy
True but there are importants reminders for western forehand users:
-bend your legs
-small adjustent steps, not just big strides
-windshield motion
-rotate the torso (the shoulders thing is a good tip)
-the weight transfer to the other leg is delayed but still important

Also GlennMirnyi don't you ever shut up? Nadal tards tend to be annoying the same way a slobbering village idiot is, but Fedtards are more like the hyperactive passive-agressive kid annoying kind.

edit:
VVVVVVV
Prime example of the slobbering village idiot kind included below. Why can't you just rest your case for a few days?

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
You're talking about a guy that can't defeat Guccione. Get a clue.
Funny how you use such crap to justify your statements :lol:

Nadal has such a crap forehand, according to you, yet has managed to defeat Federer 6 times, including 4 last year, when he only lost 5 all year. You can't explain it, so you use stuff about Guccione.

Peacemaster
02-06-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't think it's ugly. Actually, I find it quite graceful in a marauding behemoth sort of way. However, it cannot be denied - and this is clear even from the stills - that it's not efficient and quite likely unsustainable over a long career. Something's gotta give, IMO.

EDIT: a little too much body English in order to produce enough English on the ball.

adee-gee
02-06-2007, 09:13 PM
:haha: :help:

Whistleway
02-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Great post OP. And great comment, MisterQ...

General Suburbia
02-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Maybe awkward, but extremely effective. I don't really mind Nadal's stroke; Macenroe had uglier ones.

Johnny Groove
02-07-2007, 12:51 AM
who gives a shit what it looks like? :rolleyes: Hes comfortable with it, and its effective

kronus12
02-07-2007, 12:53 AM
so nadal forehand is great so why hasn't he won a tourney since wimby then you ass clown nadal tards?....thats about wait for it nearly 8months not a single tournament a worthy number 2 player in the world....NOT. And his forehand is only effective on clay on hardcourts and any other courts crap.
Remember Fed has won the last two, three if you include that exhibition they played in South Korea.
THe h2h is the only thing you tards hang onto when i bet you a million bucks nadal would swap that with some of feds grandslams win choke on that.

Tennis-Engineer
02-07-2007, 12:53 AM
One question ! If you look at photo in attachment it shows that Nadal didnt use left hand forehand to hit the ball when he was 13-14 years old.He has used two handed backhand in this scene to hit the ball whereras he could use left hand forehand .So he has changed style of playing in recent years ?

Sunset of Age
02-07-2007, 12:54 AM
who gives a shit what it looks like? :rolleyes: Hes comfortable with it, and its effective

Yes - it's the effectiveness that matters, not the looks of it!

But I must say - I doubt whether he can maintain this style if he wants to have a long lasting carreer. It looks very straining indeed.

Well, I gather Rafa (and Tio Toni) knows best.

Johnny Groove
02-07-2007, 12:57 AM
so nadal forehand is great so why hasn't he won a tourney since wimby then you ass clown nadal tards?....thats about wait for it nearly 8months not a single tournament a worthy number 2 player in the world....NOT. And his forehand is only effective on clay on hardcourts and any other courts crap.
Remember Fed has won the last two, three if you include that exhibition they played in South Korea.
THe h2h is the only thing you tards hang onto when i bet you a million bucks nadal would swap that with some of feds grandslams win choke on that.

you do know that punctuation is allowed, right?

Metis
02-07-2007, 01:24 AM
One question ! If you look at photo in attachment it shows that Nadal didnt use left hand forehand to hit the ball when he was 13-14 years old.He has used two handed backhand in this scene to hit the ball whereras he could use left hand forehand .So he has changed style of playing in recent years ?

Are you sure he is 13-14 in that photo? He looks more like 8-10 to me. :shrug:

sondraj06
02-07-2007, 01:48 AM

thank you, for actually detailing why you think the bh doesn't work instead of throwing some random insults (that have nothing to do with anything really) out there. Again I wouldn't have a clue what people were so negative about, if I waited for some people to have an intelligent opinion on why they dislike something. Again a post that started out promising, for tennis ended up again being nothing more than a catty bitch smack.

kobulingam
02-07-2007, 01:52 AM
The original post is ridiculous.

Nadal's forehand should not be taught to kids. It has horrible mechanics and only Nadal can pull it off with effectiveness. It will cut his career short because it forces him to muscle his shot (lacks fluidity).

sondraj06
02-07-2007, 01:57 AM
How would you teach some one, I don't know what's to different between his fh and some one else from just looking at it. could some one explain. thanx

guga2120
02-07-2007, 02:33 AM
thank you, for actually detailing why you think the bh doesn't work instead of throwing some random insults (that have nothing to do with anything really) out there. Again I wouldn't have a clue what people were so negative about, if I waited for some people to have an intelligent opinion on why they dislike something. Again a post that started out promising, for tennis ended up again being nothing more than a catty bitch smack.

what are you talking about:confused: , im not taking a shot at Nadal, thats the truth, seeing his forehand at the US Open showed this. I think extremely high of Nadal.

sondraj06
02-07-2007, 02:44 AM
what are you talking about:confused: , im not taking a shot at Nadal, thats the truth, seeing his forehand at the US Open showed this. I think extremely high of Nadal.

sweetheart calm down i wasn't saying that you were taking a shot a nadal. I was thanking you for actually explaing why you thought his fh didn't work instead of what goes on around here a lot, where some people turn everything into a personal playground for the rude. :wavey:

General Suburbia
02-07-2007, 03:30 AM
He's right handed. His uncle supposedly told him to use a left-handed forehand because he believed that having the right arm control a backhand would be more effective. I guess it has, seeing as how his bh is great.

CmonAussie
02-07-2007, 03:40 AM
###
Nadal`s technique is not to be recommended but it shouldn`t be criticised so heavily either...

Uncle Toni may not have given his young charge the best advice for playing textbook tennis, but what does that make him guilty of??

The technique that Toni & Rafa devised has proven to be very effective for him:

2-Slams
6-TMS
Wimby Final
Davis Cup
9-other titles
back-to-back #2
If Nadal never won another match in his life then he`s already had an increadibly successful career, made a stake of cash for himself & family~ thereby setting themselves up financially, & thrilled fans with his warrior like play!!!
Where he goes from here & whether he determines to alter his technique for the sake of longevity are totally up to him!

guga2120
02-07-2007, 04:21 AM
sweetheart calm down i wasn't saying that you were taking a shot a nadal. I was thanking you for actually explaing why you thought his fh didn't work instead of what goes on around here a lot, where some people turn everything into a personal playground for the rude. :wavey:

sorry i misread your post. but you are right you can't bring up Nadal w/out getting some insults and we both know why that is.

FluffyYellowBall
02-07-2007, 06:37 AM
Not the technique id teach a four year old if i were a coach but at least its working for him....

jazar
02-07-2007, 07:37 AM
good to see he is leaning back off the shot in the pics.

Federer&Hingis
02-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Anyway,his Forehand doesn't make his game more interesting.