What Federer Should Say To The Press... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What Federer Should Say To The Press...

sykotique
02-06-2007, 02:30 AM
-"I'm really not one of the best tennis players out there, contrary to popular belief, you know. I mean, look, I've only won 10 Slams in the past 3 and a half years and am about to break Jimmy Connors' record for number of consecutive weeks at #1. I mean, look, yes, I'm #1 by over 3000 points, but don't let that fool you! And I may have won the Australian Open without losing a set, but those matches were a lot closer than you think, especially the one against Roddick, who I consider to be a genuine rival, never mind the head-to-head. These guys are right up there with me, I mean, if I play below my level and lose, it's not because I'm better than the other guys, I just got lucky, you know. Honestly, I've really been lucky to win all these titles so far, considering I have about the same skill as every other player. It's a wonder I even manage to compete against these guys, they're just on another level altogether. Would I love to win Wimbledon again? Sure, but, look, you know, I'd be just happy to make it to the 4th round, you know. That would be an absolute dream after all the success I've had. The French Open, look, I've already given up on that. The rankings, points and results might say I'm the 2nd best clay court player in the world for the past 2 and a half years, but rankings, points and results don't tell the whole story. I will never beat Nadal on clay because, look, he's only 20. I mean, yes, historically, true claycourters only last about 4/5 years, but I think Nadal could win Roland Garros until he's 35 with the form he's in, regardless of how many injuries he seems to pick up. Everytime I win a match, I just feel so happy that God has decided to bless me with a victory that I don't really deserve, you know. Winning 4 Slams in a year is impossible. Yes, I made the finals of all 4 Slams last year and won 3, but I don't go out to every Slam thinking I have a chance to win, especially considering what an average player I am. I would like to keep playing tennis until 2012 when I'm 30, but look, truthfully, I could break my leg in a skiing accident or burn out before then, considering how tiring and energy depriving my brand of tennis is. I may be in peak form by my own relatively low standards, but by 26, 27, 28, I'll probably be seriously considering retirement so I don't embarrass myself against all these young guns who will probably dominate me and show the world how truly average I am at this sport."-

Attaboy, Fed! Show 'em that no one is better at insincere modesty than you!

Johnny Groove
02-06-2007, 02:38 AM
Feels like off-season again :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :zzz: :zzz: :rolleyes: :o :o :rolleyes:

Bremen
02-06-2007, 02:43 AM
-"I'm really not one of the best tennis players out there, contrary to popular belief, you know. I mean, look, I've only won 10 Slams in the past 3 and a half years and am about to break Jimmy Connors' record for number of consecutive weeks at #1. I mean, look, yes, I'm #1 by over 3000 points, but don't let that fool you! And I may have won the Australian Open without losing a set, but those matches were a lot closer than you think, especially the one against Roddick, who I consider to be a genuine rival, never mind the head-to-head. These guys are right up there with me, I mean, if I play below my level and lose, it's not because I'm better than the other guys, I just got lucky, you know. Honestly, I've really been lucky to win all these titles so far, considering I have about the same skill as every other player. It's a wonder I even manage to compete against these guys, they're just on another level altogether. Would I love to win Wimbledon again? Sure, but, look, you know, I'd be just happy to make it to the 4th round, you know. That would be an absolute dream after all the success I've had. The French Open, look, I've already given up on that. The rankings, points and results might say I'm the 2nd best clay court player in the world for the past 2 and a half years, but rankings, points and results don't tell the whole story. I will never beat Nadal on clay because, look, he's only 20. I mean, yes, historically, true claycourters only last about 4/5 years, but I think Nadal could win Roland Garros until he's 35 with the form he's in, regardless of how many injuries he seems to pick up. Everytime I win a match, I just feel so happy that God has decided to bless me with a victory that I don't really deserve, you know. Winning 4 Slams in a year is impossible. Yes, I made the finals of all 4 Slams last year and won 3, but I don't go out to every Slam thinking I have a chance to win, especially considering what an average player I am. I would like to keep playing tennis until 2012 when I'm 30, but look, truthfully, I could break my leg in a skiing accident or burn out before then, considering how tiring and energy depriving my brand of tennis is. I may be in peak form by my own relatively low standards, but by 26, 27, 28, I'll probably be seriously considering retirement so I don't embarrass myself against all these young guns who will probably dominate me and show the world how truly average I am at this sport."-

Hahahaha! Too too funny. I'm glad you're on the board Sykotique.

sykotique
02-06-2007, 02:44 AM
I apologise for the above post. I try to keep a level head about these kinds of things, but everywhere I look, there is a "Federer is so arrogant" thread. Perhaps my skin is too thin. I honestly thought people here were more interested in discussing serious tennis issues than hanging onto every word of a player everytime a microphone is stuck in his face.

Should the need arise, the moderators can delete this. Just a little annoyed, I suppose. Forgive me, I'm only human.

switz
02-06-2007, 02:49 AM
that is exactly what he should say. To the word :lol: He should also say

"I don't play Davis Cup because i care more about making millions from the oil lords than I do about winning the Davis Cup for my unethical cowardly country" :lol:

atheneglaukopis
02-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Hmmm...not enough "you know"s.

switz
02-06-2007, 02:53 AM
i'm swiss so i can say that as well

Kip
02-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Greatness doesn't apologize for shining in order
to make the insecure and envious feel more
at ease. ;)

Peacemaster
02-06-2007, 03:04 AM
For your consideration, my best impression of a logic-challenged rube:

I just got lucky, you know.

FEDERER BRAGS ABOUT SEXUAL ESCAPADE!

Honestly, I've really been lucky...

FEDERER CONFIRMS ALLEGED SEXUAL ESCAPADE!!

God has decided to bless me...

ROGER FEDERER CLAIMS TO KNOW THE MIND OF GOD!!!
"We're like THIS (gestures with finger)..." - FEDERER

Pfloyd
02-06-2007, 03:09 AM
Interview: Roger Federer.

Q: You certainly have been a dominant figure not only in tennis, but in Swiss sports as a whole as well. What do you have to say about that?

A: "Im better than a Patek Philippe (smiles). "

CmonAussie
02-06-2007, 03:09 AM

Very funny sykotique:worship: :worship: :D

...I highlighted in bold the parts of your rant which I found most amusing:cool: ...

#Federer is actually very modest, because he always realises that the game of tennis is much bigger than he himself.. However there is no false modesty~ he knows he`s the best going around at the moment & now is his chance to stamp himself in the history books;) ..

At the AO he said a few times "...I know this won`t last forever so I`m just trying to ride the wave as long as possible...":cool: [I expect that wave to last for another 4-5 years];) ..

Also he said that he "..appreciates the current success so much more ...because at the beginning of my career I was losing a lot"..

Nadal`s overly modest statements [or overly unconfident goals] do annoy me sometimes, afterall he has won two Slams & six TMS titles~ he should back himself to have a shot at winning most of the time:p

switz
02-06-2007, 03:10 AM
Greatness doesn't apologizine for shining in order
to make the insecure and envious feel more
at ease. ;)

Yes champs never use apologizine, they only apply hugeegozine.

federer_roar
02-06-2007, 05:05 AM
"I have answered this question 100 times. Go check it out yourself."

avocadoe
02-06-2007, 03:13 PM
excellent sykotique!!! had a good LOL! It's an odd dance the gifted have to do, Roger does it better than most :)

Corey Feldman
02-06-2007, 03:52 PM
" I am the king of the challengers and i want to win 109 challenger titles before i retire i also think my nemesis on the tour, Oscar Hernandez , is quite one dimensional and look out for the young guns Kubot and Mackin to take my place in 5 years "

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 04:19 PM
He should stop making comments about how he is a big favourite for every match he goes into, that would be a start.

scarecrows
02-06-2007, 04:26 PM
He should stop making comments about how he is a big favourite for every match he goes into, that would be a start.

why? he's just saying the odds that the bookies put on him

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
why? he's just saying the odds that the bookies put on him
It sounds very arrogant.

Take for example the Australian Cricket Team, they win almost every match they play (except for the ashes last year :devil: ) . Yet you never hear them coming out with 'well we're the massive favourites for this match, in fact they are pretty humble, and have amazing respect for the oposition.

And thats the way it should be imo.

Corey Feldman
02-06-2007, 04:40 PM
The Aussie cricket team has amazing respect for the oposition ????
that is one of the most unbelievable things ive read here at MTF... ive never seen a more arrogant bunch of prats than them.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 04:45 PM
The Aussie cricket team has amazing respect for the oposition ????
that is one of the most unbelievable things ive read here at MTF... ive never seen a more arrogant bunch of prats than them.
Ever heard them when they've lost. Thats what shows humility.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 04:46 PM
get ur facts right mate . because a certain glenn mcgrath said prior to last ashes series 05 tht he expects australia to win it 5/0 :o
Yeh McGrath said that, but then again thats an exception. Plus I think its less arrogant to build your team up, rather than yourself. He would never come out with 'well i'm the best bowler in the world, and i am a genuis etc etc'. Unlike some.

Corey Feldman
02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Ever heard them when they've lost. Thats what shows humility.Well Fedex hardly complains about the opponents when they beat him... cept that time in Rome when uncle Toni was over stepping the mark.
plus, im not only talking about Mcgrath and his 5-0 comments but what about the aussie coach slagging of Eng after one of the wins recently... saying Peterson wasnt a team player, Flintoff is a crap captain and all other insults at the ENG team.. yeah some humility in victory that was.

plus i dont even like the english cricket team.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
so wht's ur point :confused:
That Federer is arrogant, and just because you are successful, doesn't mean you have to be :)

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Well Fedex hardly complains about the opponents when they beat him... cept that time in Rome when uncle Toni was over stepping the mark.
plus, im not only talking about Mcgrath and his 5-0 comments but what about the aussie coach slagging of Eng after one of the wins recently... saying Peterson wasnt a team player, Flintoff is a crap captain and all other insults at the ENG team.. yeah some humility in victory that was.

plus i dont even like the english cricket team.
Well I did laugh at the Australian Coach when he complained about England and New Zealand when he said they weren't giving his team enough competition :lol:

Listen to some of them after they lost the Ashes, thats all I'm saying.

Corey Feldman
02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Like when Ricky Ponting got dismissed and shouted at the english balcony "cheating pommy bastards!!!!"
????

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Like when Ricky Ponting got dismissed and shouted at the english balcony "cheating pommy bastards!!!!"
????
Thats just emotion in the heat of the moment. I have no problem with that. Ricky Ponting is clearly the best batsman in the world, yet you never hear him talk himself up, he lets others do the talking. Stating how good you are is a sign of insecurity imo.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 05:07 PM
u talk about the australians cricketers being gentleman so i bring up this cricketing point . when they actually lost the test match against india at mumbai (04) they openly blamed the pitch for the loss .so wht does tht say to u about their gracious attitude or is tht also one of the exceptions tht u keep pointing out :scratch:
Well did I say everyone was perfect. We all say things from time to time, but in general the Aussies are a pretty decent bunch.

dorkino
02-06-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Atheneglaukopis
Hmmm...not enough "you know"s.
:haha: Right, but u've got to admit Fed's use of "u know" is improving or may be his sentences are getting longer that's why his 'u know"s are apparently decreasing.:confused:

Corey Feldman
02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
I like bad losers, it shows they care and it hurts deeply when they lose..
not many like that in this billions of dollars world of sport thesedays.

cept the aussie cricket team, argentine football team and Ivan Ljubicic, who i think ARE sour grapes losers.

R.Federer
02-06-2007, 05:13 PM

You are deluded-- usually players, even when they are the favorite, try to redeem themselves off the pressure by saying that the opponent is the favorite. Federer, #1 for 100;s of weeks, 10 slams in less than 4 years, what would you like him to say : well, you know, it would be a shock if I won. You know exactly what you would say if he did that -- full of false pretense.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 05:21 PM
You are deluded-- usually players, even when they are the favorite, try to redeem themselves off the pressure by saying that the opponent is the favorite. Federer, #1 for 100;s of weeks, 10 slams in less than 4 years, what would you like him to say : well, you know, it would be a shock if I won. You know exactly what you would say if he did that -- full of false pretense.
He doesn't have to say that....he should say something like well its gonna be a difficult match, and even though I may the favourite I don't think the match is gonna be that straightforward.

Not, well I'm the favourite, big favourite and I have a 10-0 record over him.

Corey Feldman
02-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I dont think you are arrogant if you can back up what you say or predict.

remember this one from the 2005 AO before he was to play Agassi:

Q. You possibly might have to play Agassi next. Assuming you do play Agassi, do you think your game at the moment, you're at a level to beat him, considering how well he played the other night?

ROGER FEDERER:I hope so. I mean, I don't know why you ask me a question like this. I think I've proven myself in the past, and I know my game's good enough, you know. Also on my day where I'm not playing perfect, I know I can beat him. He's not as good as he was when he was at the top of the ranking, otherwise he would be there. Fortunately, I'm there.
I think he has to raise his game, not me.

of course he beat andre 3,4,4 in that match

see, belief in himself! ;)

GonzoFed
02-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Q. You possibly might have to play Agassi next. Assuming you do play Agassi, do you think your game at the moment, you're at a level to beat him, considering how well he played the other night?

ROGER FEDERER:I hope so. I mean, I don't know why you ask me a question like this. I think I've proven myself in the past, and I know my game's good enough, you know. Also on my day where I'm not playing perfect, I know I can beat him. He's not as good as he was when he was at the top of the ranking, otherwise he would be there. Fortunately, I'm there.

Excellent response by Roger. The :retard: journo tried to diss him and Fed put him in his place.

buzz
02-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I like the way federer acknowledges himself as the favourite too, because he does so giving his opponents the respect they deserve! And of course he almost always is the favourite.....so it makes sense I think....

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Thats not belieft in himself, its arrogant. 'Well why are you asking me this question' means 'I'm the best player, its got nothing to do with how well I play, I am the best'.

I'm not saying the Australians cover themsleves in class, but just remember that they don't go running off their stats and achievements at every possible moment. For example, I don't remember Shane Warne repeating to everyone that he has the world record amount of wickets in history, nor how great he is. Great sportsman are supposed to have humility, Federer doesn't.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Excellent response by Roger. The :retard: journo tried to diss him and Fed put him in his place.
Er...no. The journalist asked whether Federer felt he was playing well enough to beat Agassi......thats nothing new.

Its like asking Nadal....so do you think at the level you're playing, you can win the FO this year. Irrelevant about how he has done in recent years, you still have ups and downs in form.

Corey Feldman
02-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't remember Shane Warne repeating to everyone that he has the world record amount of wickets in history, nor how great he is.He was sledging with Collingwood a few tests ago tho "How's the MBE you got for your seven runs (at the Oval in 2005)?"
and threw the ball at KP... funny yes, but he's hardly Mr Classy.
remember some of these sportsman who make themselves out to be Mr Classy all the time, hardly ever are in reality.

DrJules
02-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Well I did laugh at the Australian Coach when he complained about England and New Zealand when he said they weren't giving his team enough competition :lol:

I have never heard Federer say the other players were not good enough to challenge him.

This Australian comment was far beyond anything made by Federer.

DrJules
02-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I apologise for the above post. I try to keep a level head about these kinds of things, but everywhere I look, there is a "Federer is so arrogant" thread. Perhaps my skin is too thin. I honestly thought people here were more interested in discussing serious tennis issues than hanging onto every word of a player everytime a microphone is stuck in his face.

Should the need arise, the moderators can delete this. Just a little annoyed, I suppose. Forgive me, I'm only human.

I found it rather funny.

It does reflect the problems a dominant player has when speaking to the media. Just stating the facts; won 6 out of the last 7 grand slams, won last 36 matches or beaten player last 10 times makes a player sound egotistical and arrogant. To sound anything else when you are this dominant sounds like lies and makes a player appear false.

GonzoFed
02-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Er...no. The journalist asked whether Federer felt he was playing well enough to beat Agassi......thats nothing new.

Its like asking Nadal....so do you think at the level you're playing, you can win the FO this year. Irrelevant about how he has done in recent years, you still have ups and downs in form.

Federer had not dropped a set during that tournament before facing Agassi and he was the player with the higher ranking, and he had beaten him the last four times they faced each other , hence the questions by the journo was uncalled for, as Roger proved when he defeated Agassi.

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
He should say two words

"I retire "

€Stah
02-06-2007, 06:41 PM
He should admit that he is a gaybear.

R.Federer
02-06-2007, 07:28 PM
He should say two words

"I retire "

Oh, silly me, I thought the two words were going to be "13-1". :D

ReservoirCat
02-06-2007, 07:43 PM
"Marat and I are getting married in Belgium next month. :D"

:lol:

"And then retiring to open our very own Babylon.":D

General Suburbia
02-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Sounds like something the Onion would publish.

BlakeorHenman
02-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Sounds like something the Onion would publish.

They actually did an article similar to that about Federer. Something about how he doesn't even keep up with tennis anymore. It was pretty good. Someone on here has it in their sig.

P.S. Isn't Roger 26 already? I could look it up I guess, but that's just somehow not as much fun.

Bremen
02-07-2007, 03:11 AM
They actually did an article similar to that about Federer. Something about how he doesn't even keep up with tennis anymore. It was pretty good. Someone on here has it in their sig.

P.S. Isn't Roger 26 already? I could look it up I guess, but that's just somehow not as much fun.

He's 25...born in August 81. And here's that article you mentioned...it is pretty funny.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/45054

atheneglaukopis
02-07-2007, 03:24 AM
They actually did an article similar to that about Federer. Something about how he doesn't even keep up with tennis anymore. It was pretty good. Someone on here has it in their sig.:wavey:

Jade Fox
02-07-2007, 07:19 AM
He should just confess to the world what he told me: He likes to dress up like Shirley Temple and beat himself with a hockey stick at night.:devil:

Peoples
02-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, some of that Nadal fake modesty? "He is the favorite,no? If I play good with my topspin maybe I have a little chance to win but he favorite no?"

Rommella
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, some of that Nadal fake modesty? "He is the favorite,no? If I play good with my topspin maybe I have a little chance to win but he favorite no?"

:haha: