Fed at thirty-still dominating tennis he says [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fed at thirty-still dominating tennis he says

case
02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
He might win wimbledon for five more years but I cant see him on top anywhere else. I'll never understand why people act as if age doesn't make a difference in sports. Even with the side drugs players are very likely taking you just are not the same person at 24 that you are at 30.
Am i the only one who thinks this another example of his huge arrogance?
A "I can beat anyone now matter how old I get" mentality.

He is lucky to have avoided injuries as much as he has.
He is also blessed by a weak minded competitive field, who, with all the money being thrown around in tennis, doesn't really care if they win or lose.

Here's the link:
http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/sport_sto1077332.shtml

Jimnik
02-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Every player in the top 100 is arrogant. :p

sondraj06
02-05-2007, 05:00 PM
He might win wimbledon for five more years but I cant see him on top anywhere else. I'll never understand why people act as if age doesn't make a difference in sports. Even with the side drugs players are very likely taking you just are not the same person at 24 that you are at 30.

He is also blessed by a weak minded competitive field, who, with all the money being thrown around in tennis, doesn't really care if they win or lose.

Here's the link:

nope you're not the only one who believes this, but we're in the minority here :wavey:

case
02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
nope you're not the only one who believes this, but we're in the minority here :wavey:

:haha: i think so too, but i still post

henkon2
02-05-2007, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=case;4815609]
QUOTE]

OMG!:banghead: :retard: :smash:

lukcy, yeah suuuuure........

R.Federer
02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Show me a quote where he says that.
I can only see the journalist assuming/making up that.

A thread for a supposed quote by Federer, and it's not even based on a quote. Great. This qualifies for deletion by the mods.

Here's the link:

scoobs
02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
It's going to get much harder for him as he has to battle with his own body as well as his opponents as 30 approaches.

Starting to sound a bit like hubris from Roger, I think it's time he shut up before he meets the inevitable nemesis.

Action Jackson
02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
case, the fan that gives Gasquet fans a bad name.

Quality thread though.

scoobs
02-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Here's the actual quote from the article:

"I enjoy the battle so much on the tennis court with my opponent, practice is also fun," the 25-year-old said.
"But playing in front of all the fans, enjoying the applause and everything, that's what will keep me going in tennis for at least the next five years."

I hope he realises the battles will start to get harder, not easier...

Action Jackson
02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
They will catch up to Federer soon enough and once they see he is vulnerable then it won't be so easy apart from Wimbledon.

GonzoFed
02-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Quality thread though.

What about richie 21? I used to be indifferent towards Gasquet but after reading his propaganda threads the words overrated and Gasquet are forever linked in my mind.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't like Federer, and as much as he is very arrogant, I can't see much of it in this article. Its more of the writer assuming and taking words from his mouth.

R.Federer
02-05-2007, 05:11 PM
"But playing in front of all the fans, enjoying the applause and everything, that's what will keep me going in tennis for at least the next five years."

How this equals "Fed at thirty -dominating he says" only case can make a case. This only says he will keep playing till he is 30.

case
02-05-2007, 05:12 PM

A thread for a supposed quote by Federer, and it's not even based on a quote. Great. This qualifies for deletion by the mods.

:rolleyes: Huh?
That's what the article starts off by sayinbg. If you have aproblem with that talk with Eurosport. Obviously, they did not have a problem with it.
He talks of winning five wimbledons. Talks of winning four grans slams in a row, doesnt sound like a guy who would back away from saying i'll be on top in five years. In facdt it sounds like he is saying it. He also gives credit to all you never say die fans for him being around in five years

Another example of the over the top Fed fans who would defend this guy with blood.

Im only tyhe messenger:haha:

rosamunda
02-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Here's the actual quote from the article:

"I enjoy the battle so much on the tennis court with my opponent, practice is also fun," the 25-year-old said.

I hope he realises the battles will start to get harder, not easier...

That doesn't sound like 'hubris' - as you put it - though, does it? More like a healthy enjoyment of and enthusiasm for the game. I'm sure he realises more than anybody that it'll get more difficult as time marches on........he's always going on about the young guns etc hard on his heels.

Action Jackson
02-05-2007, 05:13 PM
What about richie 21? I used to be indifferent towards Gasquet but after reading his propaganda threads the words overrated and Gasquet are forever linked in my mind.

Same, but after Monte Carlo 05 it got over the time.

Onto this subject, there is nothing in this. It's just an attempt to stir up Federer is arrogant again. He is #1, of course there is going to be some arrogance there.

sondraj06
02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Same, but after Monte Carlo 05 it got over the time.

Onto this subject, there is nothing in this. It's just an attempt to stir up Federer is arrogant again. He is #1, of course there is going to be some arrogance there.

Baaaa

scoobs
02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
That doesn't sound like 'hubris' - as you put it - though, does it? More like a healthy enjoyment of and enthusiasm for the game. I'm sure he realises more than anybody that it'll get more difficult as time marches on........he's always going on about the young guns etc hard on his heels.

Possibly so - but does anyone else think Roger talks to the media perhaps a little too much?

It can be like "Federer's thought for the day" sometimes.

I can understand why some people think he's a bit arrogant and full of himself - there's constant updates on what he's trying to do and how he hopes to win this and do that and play until the other.

I realise he's media friendly. I just wish he'd give it a bit of a rest sometimes. We know what he's trying to do and what he hopes to win.

Kalliopeia
02-05-2007, 05:16 PM
He didn't say he was going to keep dominating for five more years. The headline says that, yes, as does the first paragraph. But there isn't a quote that says that. He says he'd like to "keep going in tennis" for at least five more years. That's not really the same thing.

Corey Feldman
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
A "I can beat anyone now matter how old I get" mentality.You see case my friend, that is why He is the No1 player in the world and you are just a pissant whining about it on an internet forum.

and so what if the field catches up with Fed 5 years down the line.... that is just the law averages anyway with the next step being retirement.

by that time he will be in another stratosphere of tennis achievements compared to the young upstarts/whoever may be defeating him.

Starting to sound a bit like hubris from Roger, I think it's time he shut up before he meets the inevitable nemesis.retirement will be his inevitable nemesis.

then MTF will really understand about 'tennis being boring'

although Muzza will be No1 by that time, so i'll be happy.

case
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Quality thread though.

I just can't please you. :p You are always linking me to gasquet.

I prefer to think of myself as a fan of tennis. It is not my fault Gasquet plays beautiful tennis. But this is not about Gasquet, it is about rog

R.Federer
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Don't go into hyperbole. Where is the quote where he says that. Fed has put his foot in his mouth many times. Many other times the journalists have put it there for him. This is one of those examples.

Yet another example of an extremist Fed hater going into orbit assuming his next 5 years may be ruined.

That's what the article starts off by sayinbg. If you have aproblem with that talk with Eurosport. Obviously, they did not have a problem with it.
He talks of winning five wimbledons. Talks of winning four grans slams in a row, doesnt sound like a guy who would back away from saying i'll be on top in five years. In facdt it sounds like he is saying it. He also gives credit to all you never say die fans for him being around in five years

Another example of the over the top Fed fans who would defend this guy with blood.

case
[QUOTE=Escude;4815810]You see case my friend, that is why He is the No1 player in the world and you are just a pissant whining about it on an internet forum.

:haha: i thought we were all here whining on an internet site??????:p
Am i the only one here?

Corey Feldman
Possibly so - but does anyone else think Roger talks to the media perhaps a little too much?

I can understand why some people think he's a bit arrogant and full of himself - there's constant updates on what he's trying to do and how he hopes to win this and do that and play until the other.

I realise he's media friendly. I just wish he'd give it a bit of a rest sometimes. We know what he's trying to do and what he hopes to win.That goes with being No1.

R.Federer
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
He didn't say he was going to keep dominating for five more years. The headline says that, yes, as does the first paragraph. But there isn't a quote that says that. He says he'd like to "keep going in tennis" for at least five more years. That's not really the same thing.

Thank you Kalliopeia. For all our differences we converge on straight talking most of the time. :)

Action Jackson
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
[/B]

Baaaa

Nadal is arrogant on court, the top players don't get there by not having belief in their own abilities.

Corey Feldman
02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
:haha: i thought we were all here whining on an internet site??????:p
Am i the only one here?you wouldnt be if a player you liked was No1 and 'arrogant'

scoobs
02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Really? I don't remember Pete or Andre or Jim or Lleyton or Andy being quite as prolific in the media as Roger.

It's a bit too much, I think.

Good job he doesn't listen to me, then - he never has :)

Action Jackson
02-05-2007, 05:23 PM
I just can't please you. :p You are always linking me to gasquet.

I prefer to think of myself as a fan of tennis. It is not my fault Gasquet plays beautiful tennis. But this is not about Gasquet, it is about rog

You don't have to please me. I mean I can't stand that arsehole Roddick at all, but I can get on with some of his fans when it comes to talking about tennis.

The fact is people like you and richie, actually helped make me dislike Gasquet, so that takes skill. Just strutting around hitting a nice backhand is beautiful tennis, if that's the case then Ljubo is a beautiful player.

As for the subject at hand, already answered it. You are being a tabloid journalist.

sondraj06
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
No it's more about what he says about his self, more than what the media puts in his mouth. And yes I'm aware that things get taken out of context, and this may have well been one of those things. But i base my opinion on those things that can only be put in one context arrogantttt.(singing to myself)

scoobs
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I expect him to be around in 5 years - why not? 30's still a good age for tennis.

Not sure he'll be anywhere near as dominant as he is now, though - he might be forced to share some of the baubles with the other players by then - hopefully, like Sampras could right until the end, he'll still be able to get up for the big events.

case
02-05-2007, 05:28 PM
You don't have to please me.

As for the subject at hand, already answered it. You are being a tabloid journalist.

I didnt say i wanted to please you.:p I said i cant please you!!!:D

Seems like you are always putting words in my mouth! like...ummm,
i know-------
-A TABLOID JOURNALIST:p

sondraj06
02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Nadal is arrogant on court, the top players don't get there by not having belief in their own abilities.

O.k i can totally get how some one would say his is arrogant on court, well not totally because I don't agree, but to each his own. But some on said that he was arrogant on another thread and I was like wait on court or off. Because if a lot of people followed him off court I don't think they'd say that.

R.Federer
02-05-2007, 05:31 PM
It will indeed be interesting to see how he handles it when he is no longer reaching the finals and semis or winning slams, being challenged and beaten by the same players he was schooling, dishing out bagels to. His humility will be tested then.

He will probably try to retire close to the top, when he senses his glory days are numbered. Just a guess. I can't imagine it's a lot of fun to taste this scale of success and then be Hingissed.

scoobs
02-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I think Roger is a little arrogant but I think a little arrogance is healthy in sport - (what most people call arrogant anyway - to me arrogance is OVERconfidence in your own abilities and I don't think Roger is that). You have to be confident you can do it even when everyone else tells you you can't.

To quote Steffi Graf:

You can have a certain arrogance, and I think that's fine, but what you should never lose is the respect for the others.

I think that's fair enough.

I think he has to be very careful though - with all the constant drumbeat of accolades and superlatives thrown at him, he needs to make sure he doesn't become big-headed. I hope his team around him keep him grounded so he doesn't lose touch with reality. So far, so good. Maybe they could also teach him that with interviews, always leave them wanting more :)

Raquel
02-05-2007, 05:34 PM

Yeah, but you brought the wrong message. He never said he will still be dominating at 30. Hardly over the top to defend that. What he says is right in front of you, and it's not what the thread title is.

Corey Feldman
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
maybe Federer should have said in 5 years time he wants to be winning 5 titles on the challenger circuit and be ranked in the top 80 in the world.

THAT ARROGANT BASTARD !!

sondraj06
02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
It will indeed be interesting to see how he handles it when he is no longer reaching the finals and semis or winning slams, being challenged and beaten by the same players he was schooling, dishing out bagels to. His humility will be tested then.

He will probably try to retire close to the top, when he senses his glory days are numbered. Just a guess. I can't imagine it's a lot of fun to taste this scale of success and then be Hingissed.

Hahhaha, out of the whole quote that just tickled me:haha:

Sunset of Age
02-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, but you brought the wrong message. He never said he will still be dominating at 30. Hardly over the top to defend that. What he says is right in front of you, and it's not what the thread title is.

Indeed. Another vile attempt of showing off Fed as The Devil.
Too bad most of us are quite able to read for ourselves...

sondraj06
02-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Whitney houston, bobby brown?, Tiger woods, Muhommed ali, Elton John, what do they all have in common. Ah the world thinks there great. Oh yeah and so do they themselves. :cool:

Corey Feldman
02-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Whitney houston, bobby brown?, Tiger woods, Muhommed ali, Elton John, what do they all have in common. Ah the world thinks there great. Oh yeah and so do they themselves. :cool: but none are as great as me, the mighty Sondraj :cool::cuckoo: Sonny

Skyward
02-05-2007, 05:53 PM
The fact is people like you and richie, actually helped make me dislike Gasquet, so that takes skill.

Come on, these people have nothing to do with Gasquet. It's not like he's hired them to post bs on this board.

Back to the topic: Fed's planning to be around for another 5 years. He's still enjoying playing and practicing. These are highly arrogant statements. :rolleyes:

sykotique
02-05-2007, 06:03 PM
"keep going for the next 5 years" = "I can beat any and everyone no matter how old I am" ?

My comprehension of the English language is not the best, so maybe I'm missing something. It sounds to me that Fed plans to retire in 5 years, at 30. Sampras once said said that so long as he could serve, he would keep coming back to Wimbledon. I see no arrogance in either statement. Maybe I can't read between the lines...or maybe I'm not trying to.

Oh, by the way: Saying you would like to win 5 Wimbledons is not arrogance if you've won the last 4 in a row, have no major rivals on the surface and are in the peak in your career. Anything less than a victory at Wimbledon would be a disappoint for Fed. As would anything less than a victory for Nadal at Roland Garros.

Also, I agree with scoobsuk that Fed is too media friendly. But I think that may just be his nature. On the flip side, Pete was criticised for being too business-like with the media and avoiding them. You can't please everyone, and you really shouldn't try to. What I like about Fed is that he appears genuine in everything he says and does and generally will not engage idle talk.

sondraj06
02-05-2007, 06:04 PM
:cuckoo: Sonny

Hey don't put words in my mouth, that area is reserved for other larger objects :wavey:

Qoute: "but none are as great as me", the mighty ___ and qoute

And are you qouting fed again, oh that arrogant bastard

nobama
02-05-2007, 06:05 PM

I realise he's media friendly. I just wish he'd give it a bit of a rest sometimes. We know what he's trying to do and what he hopes to win.
Um, I think this came up because he was in Dubai for some advertising campaign with Tiger Woods and they were asked questions by the media. I don't think he just decided to call up the media and opine about his future.

Corey Feldman
02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey don't put words in my mouth, that area is reserved for other larger objects :wavey:yeah??
like your foot ?

Mwhaha

sondraj06
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
yeah??
like your foot ?

Mwhaha

Or your boyfriends uhum....bad girl, stop it. In the corner now :wavey:

stebs
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM

This is, to date, one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on this board. There have been more rude and vicious ones but they tend to come from those such as RFK who aare simply taking the micky or Adee-gee who is trying to have an argument for the fun of it.

Talks of winning 5 Wimbledons. He has already won four. So it's arrogant to say that "it would be a dream come true" to win one more Wimbledon to tie Borg's record? If it's arrogant to say that then I don't know what the world is coming to. I actually used a quote in my post to prove the point. You are plucking things from out of the air. It is not arrogant to state that something would be a "dream come true" especially when it is something that seems, right now, likely to happen.

Talks of winning four GS in a row. He siad that doing that is "the next big goal." That's pretty clear isn't it? What's wrong with RG being his next big goal? You're being ridiculous, look at the quotes in the article and use them to make your point. You won't be able to because he says nothing arrogant.

As it is, I think Federer is a fairly confident bloke, lets face it the guy is the best in the world at what he does by a long way. There have even been quotes of his that do come across as arrogant although let it be known that being modest is harder when speaking in another language. However, what it comes down to is this arrogant stuff has nothing to do with the quotes in that article. He says in the article thqat he wants to "keep going in tennis for the next five years." Has it become arrogant to wish to continue your proffesion for a certain amount of time? He will only be 30 in 5 years time, is it wrong to assume you will still be able to be a proffesional athlete at the age of 30? Is that arrogant case? really?

What a joke. Respond to this with evidence and in a clear and direct fashion without wishy washy crap about a guy and maybe some people will take notice. Saying you think he is arrogant because of an article headline that has nothing to do with him will continue to mkae you look stupid so I advise against it if you want to be listened to.

Corey Feldman
02-05-2007, 06:19 PM
hey

male here.

Merton
02-05-2007, 06:27 PM
It is hard to imagine right now but it is inevitable that the competition will catch up.

guga2120
02-05-2007, 06:29 PM
It is hard to imagine right now but it is inevitable that the competition will catch up.

After Australia, its very hard to imagine.

jazar
02-05-2007, 06:33 PM
federer '"for the next 5 or so years i'll dominate tennis, then i'll take the world. hahaha."

Rosa Luxembourg
02-05-2007, 06:34 PM
:haha: i think so too, but i still post

his arrogance is based on something (see his achievements). What's your excuse? :scratch:

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-05-2007, 06:51 PM
his arrogance is based on something (see his achievements). What's your excuse? :scratch:
Arrogance is one of the worst traits you can have, its like saying 'well i'm superior to you'. I'm not interested in what anyone achieves, it makes them ugly being arrogant.

Fedex
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
:haha: :rolls: I just have to laugh at this thread. GM never fails to entertain, that's for sure. :)

Fedex
02-05-2007, 07:13 PM
maybe Federer should have said in 5 years time he wants to be winning 5 titles on the challenger circuit and be ranked in the top 80 in the world.

THAT ARROGANT BASTARD !!

:lol:

dkw
02-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Yes... but can he predict whether he'll be bald or not???

Sjengster
02-05-2007, 08:24 PM
This is, to date, one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on this board. There have been more rude and vicious ones but they tend to come from those such as RFK who aare simply taking the micky or Adee-gee who is trying to have an argument for the fun of it.

head-case is the poster who accused Henman of being on the juice after he had those back-to-back wins over Safin and Hewitt in Miami last year, so there is previous form for sure.

And good old reliable Henman dispelled all notions of drug-taking in his subsequent defeat to Greul, having won the first set 6-0. :cool:

Rosa Luxembourg
02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Arrogance is one of the worst traits you can have, its like saying 'well i'm superior to you'. I'm not interested in what anyone achieves, it makes them ugly being arrogant.

He is superior to me on a tennis court. and to you. and all the players he's playing against. He's #1 in the world and rarely beaten. What's not correct here or missed or else? :rolleyes:

If he said he's the best something else, I'd agre with you. Otheriwise, your post is :topic: and the thread starter message is :bs:

stebs
02-05-2007, 08:39 PM
head-case is the poster who accused Henman of being on the juice after he had those back-to-back wins over Safin and Hewitt in Miami last year, so there is previous form for sure.

And good old reliable Henman dispelled all notions of drug-taking in his subsequent defeat to Greul, having won the first set 6-0. :cool:

I remember it well. Classic Henman times, I guess winning sets 6-0 doesn't agree with him. The most famous example being against Goran at Wimbledon, of course, the rain had a bigger part to play in that than anything else.

nobama
02-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I wonder then what "head-case" thinks of the Aussie junior Bernard Tomic who said his goals were to win all 4 slams in the same year, be #1, win olympic gold and do it all at the youngest age possible. :lol:

Rosa Luxembourg
02-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I wonder then what "head-case" thinks of the Aussie junior Bernard Tomic who said his goals were to win all 4 slams in the same year, be #1, win olympic gold and do it all at the youngest age possible. :lol:

oh cmon this is just immaturity talking

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-05-2007, 08:54 PM
He is superior to me on a tennis court. and to you. and all the players he's playing against. He's #1 in the world and rarely beaten. What's not correct here or missed or else? :rolleyes:

So if I happened to be more intelligent that you, does that mean I should be arrogant about it, and act like I'm superior to you. No. And the same goes for Federer or anyone else.

R.Federer
02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
^^ You can't prove you are more intelligent than anyone, let alone someone you know off an internet board.

Federer, I believe, can prove that he is better than anyone on a tennis court.

It does not excuse arrogance (if he is that, I'm not even sure what string of statements you might be basing that on), but it is your subjective preference that arrogance is not cool. Some people don't care.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-05-2007, 09:00 PM
^^ You can't prove you are more intelligent than anyone, let alone someone you know off an internet board.

Federer, I believe, can prove that he is better than anyone on a tennis court.

It does not excuse arrogance (if he is that, I'm not even sure what string of statements you might be basing that on), but it is your subjective preference that arrogance is not cool. Some people don't care.
I'm not trying to prove anything, it was just an example.

Well if you like ppl who think they are better than others, thats fine, but I think you'll find the majority of ppl dont.

R.Federer
02-05-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm not trying to prove anything, it was just an example.

Well if you like ppl who think they are better than others, thats fine, but I think you'll find the majority of ppl dont.

Is it that he says this which makes him arrogant? Or if he thought it but did not say it out to the world, that would make him arrogant too?

Because I am pretty sure that Sampras, Agassi, Nadal, Roddick and a heap of other #1's and #2's have thought this very thought. You think Agassi won all four slams and thought "Gee, ordinary me, got so lucky"? Or Nadal struck a 60+ streak on clay and thought "Just by chance, no, because I am quite mediocre on clay". ? Or maybe Sampras thought he just rode a 11 year lucky streak to the 14 slams.

calvinhobbes
02-05-2007, 09:11 PM
According to religion, it`s arrogance to make plans for the future, because life and health and reason are God`s property. So, Roger is a very irreligious guy whatever he plans, and some MTF posters are very religious people because they point out Roger`s capital sin with scrupulous haste . . .:angel: :angel: :angel:

Whistleway
02-05-2007, 09:14 PM

WTF.. He just said he is going to play for next 5 years. Where the heck did he say about domination or any other crap? Sometimes MTF is so freaking wound-up.

CmonAussie
02-05-2007, 09:36 PM
WTF.. He just said he is going to play for next 5 years. Where the heck did he say about domination or any other crap? Sometimes MTF is so freaking wound-up.

:wavey:
Exactly Roger didn`t mention anything about DOMINATION:rolleyes:
Some people really need to get a life:mad:
Federer is merely telling his fans "don`t worry...I`m not going to do a Borg & retire young~ I`m planning to hang around for atleast another 5-years or so...";) :cool:
It`s nice that he lets us know his plans in this way... That way we can look forward to the next 5-year but also realise that he won`t be there much beyond that probably..

dorkino
02-05-2007, 10:36 PM
I haven't noticed he said he 'll be dominating tennis at the age of 30. What i got from that transcript is that he still has the hunger for applause, competition, for further achievements ,blah ,blah...which'd propably give him the desire to go on playing at least till 30.
He's mentioned this before someway or another when some journalist was once asking him about Agassi's career. It's not news. Perhaps he just here shows he's more determined to get the RG title.

As for the arrogance issue, i think this very transpcript is a bad example to indicate such thing for people interested in pointing at it.

Peacemaster
02-05-2007, 10:51 PM
A humble recommendation for persons with English comprehension deficiency: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/

Try it. Understanding written words can be fun!

Action Jackson
02-06-2007, 12:13 AM
I didnt say i wanted to please you.:p I said i cant please you!!!:D

Seems like you are always putting words in my mouth! like...ummm,
i know-------
-A TABLOID JOURNALIST:p

What does a tabloid journalist do? That is right they sensationalise things to make them sound more juicy than in the original context.

What have you done with this thread? It's exactly the same thing as a tabloid journalist would do considering there was nothing said about Federer dominating for 5 years, playing and dominating are the same thing, of course.

Johnny Groove
02-06-2007, 12:27 AM

Bernard Tomic is a total joke. Immature little bitch cocky kid who is already talking shit at 14 :rolleyes: True, hes only 14, but if he wants to back those statements up, he needs to mature just a tad. ;)

Jlee
02-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Barring a bad injury, there's no foreseeable reason that he won't be at the top of the game in 5 years.

sawan66278
02-06-2007, 12:43 AM
As has been evidenced by previous quotes from Roger, Roger is not necessarily "arrogant"...but certainly narcissistic. (Though I have no proof of this, I almost feel like he was the "nerd" of his class, and now wants to enjoy the fruits of being respected). In any event, the quotes mentioned in the article have NOTHING to do with narcissism or arrogance.

The title of the article is journalistic irresponsibility at its highest.

case
02-06-2007, 12:43 AM
So many people here take it all so seriously. I did not write the article or give it the headline.
Not that i think it matters. Your replies and kind thoughts were what i was expecting. But did you all have to be so easy???:p So easy to get a rise out of you. A negative fed thought and so many of you blow up!

I too think that to be world class at anything you have to be full of yourself.
I qouted billie jean king once here, something to the effect that "you show me someone who is a good loser and i'll show you a loser." Im not sure people should not think highly of themselves. There are enough people 'who dont think highly of anyone.

But to be truthful maybe fed should talk less and just play.

nobama
02-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Here's video of exactly what Fed said:

http://itn.co.uk/news/itnplayer.html?section=sport&video_id=e5770d75a945b1911b9a389aa74658ec

nobama
02-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Bernard Tomic is a total joke. Immature little bitch cocky kid who is already talking shit at 14 :rolleyes: True, hes only 14, but if he wants to back those statements up, he needs to mature just a tad. ;)Yeah, he does look like a cocky, full of himself kid. Last year he said : "I still need to find the serve of Ivanisevic and the groundstrokes of Federer. I'm halfway there with the mind of Sampras. I've already got the heart of Lleyton." But I suppose how can you not be full of yourself when IMG signs you up at age 13. :o

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/non-Roger/57539853.jpg

Metis
02-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah, he does look like a cocky, full of himself kid. Last year he said : "I still need to find the serve of Ivanisevic and the groundstrokes of Federer. I'm halfway there with the mind of Sampras. I've already got the heart of Lleyton." But I suppose how can you not be full of yourself when IMG signs you up at age 13. :o

This kid needs a good spanking from Uncle Toni. :lol:

atheneglaukopis
02-06-2007, 01:25 AM
:haha: :rolls: I just have to laugh at this thread. GM never fails to entertain, that's for sure. :)For sure.

"keep going for the next 5 years" = "I can beat any and everyone no matter how old I am" ?

My comprehension of the English language is not the best, so maybe I'm missing something.Oh, you didn't get the MTF decoder ring?

If you plug keep going for the next 5 years into MTF Law 1 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3601530&postcount=1)--Making sense is optional--you get out nep memnim nep úlam sífeí heriiad. If you plug that in turn into law 15--EVERYTHING gets blown out of proportion. An example is whenever a player gives an interview or says some little Mickey Mouse controversial comment, expect someone to say something about speaking OUT LOUD--you get out I can beat any and everyone no matter how old I am.

Clear now? :)

Oh, by the way: Saying you would like to win 5 Wimbledons is not arrogance if you've won the last 4 in a row, have no major rivals on the surface and are in the peak in your career.Welcome to life under Nurse Ratched.

darnyelb
02-06-2007, 01:26 AM
I think reading comprehension should be a prerequisite for joining MTF.

Johnny Groove
02-06-2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah, he does look like a cocky, full of himself kid. Last year he said : "I still need to find the serve of Ivanisevic and the groundstrokes of Federer. I'm halfway there with the mind of Sampras. I've already got the heart of Lleyton." But I suppose how can you not be full of yourself when IMG signs you up at age 13. :o

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/jsnash/non-Roger/57539853.jpg

exactly :tape: :rolleyes: Its a shame that IMG does this to kids like Tomic and Young. Not all the blame can be heaped on IMG, the parents of both must also be blamed, but its just an all-around poor job. :o

This kid needs a good spanking from Uncle Toni. :lol:

:aplot:

For sure.

Oh, you didn't get the MTF decoder ring?

If you plug keep going for the next 5 years into MTF Law 1 (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=3601530&postcount=1)--Making sense is optional--you get out nep memnin nem úlam sífeí heriiad. If you plug that in turn into law 15--EVERYTHING gets blown out of proportion. An example is whenever a player gives an interview or says some little Mickey Mouse controversial comment, expect someone to say something about speaking OUT LOUD--you get out I can beat any and everyone no matter how old I am.

Clear now? :)

Welcome to life under Nurse Ratched.

I just love MTF Law References :lol:

I think reading comprehension should be a prerequisite for joining MTF.

If that be the case, then membership would be cut at least in half.

PamV
02-06-2007, 01:53 AM

Here's the link:

I don't think it's a matter of luck that Federer avoids injury. It is the result of playing with an efficient, technically correct, style.

I think you are taking it all too seriously. Of course age makes a difference. If he plays at his current level for even 3 more years that will be astounding.

PamV
02-06-2007, 02:08 AM
So many people here take it all so seriously. I did not write the article or give it the headline.

I think the issue people take with you is that you were acting put out by what Federer supposedly said in that article as if it were totally arrogant. However, in fact he sounded pretty humble, and normal. In the article here is what he actually says:

Federer holds 10 grand slam titles, four consecutive Wimbledons (2003-2006), three US Opens and three Australian Opens.

The Swiss star said he would also love to match Bjorn Borg's achievement of five successive Wimbledon titles from 1976-80, and has also set his sights on completing his Grand Slam collection with the French Open.

"To equal Borg's five-in-a-row would be a dream come true.

"But I am not there yet so I have to just hope I can keep my run going and stay injury free.

"The next big goal is the French Open. If I can win that tournament, that would mean I would have won four consecutive grand slams."

None of this seems boastful. You say that he should talk less and just play......well he can't avoid interviews and stay in keeping with his role as the #1 player and try to be effective for his sponsors. He certainly does play enough. He played more matches last year than almost anyone accept Davydenko.

Peacemaster
02-06-2007, 02:41 AM
If only Roger knew how some logic-challenged rubes feast on his interview scraps and twist them to contrive a putrid drivel in order to attribute a negative aspect to his character...

...AND how many of his die-hard fans (yes, me too) and general well-wishers get all worked up over aforementioned drivel and take up torches to put said rubes out of their pathetic existence...

...he would REALLY become arrogant and full of himself.

:D

Kip
02-06-2007, 02:57 AM

It's rather obvious that you are speaking not
from any point of particular reason but,
majorly from your own bias against him for
whatever your own personal intentions are.

The fact of the matter is that while age for an
athlete does matter to a degree, the measurement
of how it effects every individual athlete varies greatly.
Therefore, you have no way of knowing or speaking with
any certainty as to how it will effect Federer. Furthermore,
you have no clue as to how is body is feeling or the make-up
as to how properly it does and will work depending upon what
he does in order to be where he is.

What you in your bias call arrogance, is the mental fortitude he
has built up through his hard work and the benefits of it coupled
with his natural talent. The one's who usually call it arrogance are
once that have never known and most likely will never know how it
feels and all that it takes to be in his shoes.

And to finish, while be blessed with good health is a major factor
for any great champion, you have no right to dismiss or underestimate
the time and energy that goes into trying to maintain a healthy body.
Also, the fact that you try and discredit his accomplishments by in
turn discrediting the entire tour is more a reflection on your rather
pathetic and narrow view than any well thought out articulate
opinion.

Yet, it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

my0118
02-06-2007, 03:15 AM

I think Roger is a genuinely nice guy and he talks humble as much as he can.
Sometimes I can see his arrogance when he's talking even though his comments are not that arrogant. Just I could FEEL it.
But what can I say about that? What we see him like an arrogant person proves he is also human like us :) not from another planet.
He knows himself he is the NO.1, he's now dominating and he's the favorite. And he wants to break all the great records as possible as he could.
He handles well in the interviews he gets, however, the reason we're all talking about his arrogance is that we can feel something about him IMO.
I think his arrogance (in his mind) is really a natural thing, which is the one of the reasons I'm not a his fan though.

He is lucky to have avoided injuries as much as he has
Yeah, It's actually weird. people have ups and downs, but he's not!!

I wish he could, but he's so famous that he cannot avoid the press :angel:

SAtennis
02-06-2007, 03:19 AM
Look at Federer's face. You see something? Yes. It's called 'confidence.'

Bagelicious
02-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Not that i think it matters. Your replies and kind thoughts were what i was expecting. But did you all have to be so easy???:p So easy to get a rise out of you. A negative fed thought and so many of you blow up!

Note these responses are not from rabid, 'overly sensitive' Fedtards:

I don't like Federer, and as much as he is very arrogant, I can't see much of it in this article. Its more of the writer assuming and taking words from his mouth.

What does a tabloid journalist do? That is right they sensationalise things to make them sound more juicy than in the original context.

What have you done with this thread? It's exactly the same thing as a tabloid journalist would do considering there was nothing said about Federer dominating for 5 years, playing and dominating are the same thing, of course.

As has been evidenced by previous quotes from Roger, Roger is not necessarily "arrogant"...but certainly narcissistic. (Though I have no proof of this, I almost feel like he was the "nerd" of his class, and now wants to enjoy the fruits of being respected). In any event, the quotes mentioned in the article have NOTHING to do with narcissism or arrogance.

The title of the article is journalistic irresponsibility at its highest.

I think Roger is a genuinely nice guy and he talks humble as much as he can.
Sometimes I can see his arrogance when he's talking even though his comments are not that arrogant. Just I could FEEL it.
But what can I say about that? What we see him like an arrogant person proves he is also human like us :) not from another planet.
He knows himself he is the NO.1, he's now dominating and he's the favorite. And he wants to break all the great records as possible as he could.
He handles well in the interviews he gets, however, the reason we're all talking about his arrogance is that we can feel something about him IMO.
I think his arrogance (in his mind) is really a natural thing, which is the one of the reasons I'm not a his fan though.

I wish he could, but he's so famous that he cannot avoid the press :angel:

On to another topic:

It's not like he just goes out to reporters like 'Hey! I have something to say, come interview me!' In this case, he, Tiger Woods and Thierry Henry were part of a media report of their being spokesmen for Gillette.

His getting reported a lot in the media is not the same as his courting it. You generally get a number of articles all referencing the same interviews or press conferences so that it seems that he's more prolific than he really is. You sometimes see quotes from old interviews turning up in recent articles. He can't really help this.

my0118
02-06-2007, 03:46 AM
whatever it is called, I just don't like it.
But don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I don't like Federer.

almouchie
02-06-2007, 08:48 AM
most of the times
quotes are mis quoted
or more so written in a manner to provoke a reaction or comment
what ever he said specifically

he does sure sound a bit overly, trying not to blast him as arrogant or excessively confident
but having lost a handful of matches in 2 years, can probably cause such attitude from most people

scoobs
02-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Dear me, I think people are under the impression that Roger gets a thought while taking his morning shower and immediately gets the urge to call the media.

If I've given that impression (and I haven't - people are just assuming it), then that's not what I mean at all.

I know Roger was at a Gillette-sponsored event and was asked a few questions.

My point is that, because he is at this event and that event and doing media from his tennis tournaments too, you end up with a constant outpouring of Federisms, particularly about a) the French Open, b) The Grand Slam, c) how long he can stay on top and d) how long he wants to play for.

I think that

a) just because he's asked a question he's not obliged to answer it - especially if he is on record as having given an answer to that, say, in the last week, which certainly has been the case lately

b) if there was criticism of Sampras that he was too businesslike with the media and never gave of himself, it's a fair comment about Federer that he's almost too eager to please, too anxious to be obliging - and perhaps too anxious to be liked?

I know there are worse criticisms you can level at someone, and personally I think it's better that he be too giving to the media and too willing to oblige to promote tennis, than not enough (We've had too many world #1s like that in the past).

I personally hope very much that he is still playing, playing well, and winning majors when he hits 30 - looking beyond him for a moment, tennis commentators will be talking about this period of dominance for many years to come, and I will be very sorry when it's over

Apemant
02-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Some people mention 'arrogance'... I have a little question about it. What do you mean by 'arrogance'? In my book, that word includes pretense or presumptions. In other words, someone is arrogant if he displays his conviction of being superior (in a particular aspect) without any proof or foundation for such claims.

If someone is clearly superior (doing something), and aware of it - I just don't consider it 'arrogance'. On the contrary; if they are clearly aware of that, but act humble anyway, then it's called false modesty - and I dislike it much more than arrogance.

scoobs
02-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I agree Apemant

arrogant adj said of someone or their behaviour: aggressively and offensively self-assertive; having or showing too high an opinion of one's own abilities or importance; impudently over-presumptive. arrogance noun. arrogantly adverb.

Most people seem to view arrogance as CONFIDENCE in one's abilities, and the willingness to express that confidence.

Arrogance is supposed to be about demonstrating and expressing OVERCONFIDENCE is one's abilities.

Since Federer

a) always talks about how he's well aware that his opponent could beat him and expresses his amazement at when he plays unbeatable tennis

b) shows great respect for his opponents in victory or defeat and doesn't take his own ability to keep this going for granted, but works extremely hard to improve his game and prepare for each tournament

I really struggle to see how it applies.

He's confident, certainly - and well he should be.

In Britain we tend to be very disparaging about people who are good and know it, and aren't afraid to say they are good. They confuse this with arrogance all the time.

I didn't realise this was so widespread.

Castafiore
02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm not so sure.
I'm borrowing Wikipedia's explanation because it's closest to my view on it:
Arrogant is an adjective that may refer to having excessive pride in oneself. A person who is arrogant often exaggerates one's own worth or importance in an overbearing manner.

I often read that it's not arrogant when somebody is just telling the truth. IMHO, you can be arrogant and still stick with the truth.

Many of the great champions have been accused of arrogance.
Mohammad "I am the greatest" Ali for example. Loads and loads of charisma mixed in with a heavy dosis of arrogance.
Michael Schumacher (I'm a fan but I have no problem admitting that he comes across as arrogant from time to time. What's the big deal?).
Lance Armstrong
Michael Jordan

I don't quite understand why so many of you make such a big deal out of this. I think that you need a lot of confidence and yes, a touch of arrogance, to get to the top and to stay there for quite a while.

buzz
02-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes Federer is a 'little' arrogant here, but I just hope he isn't forgotten by then and gets a wild card for wimbledon 2012. :)

Apemant
02-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm not so sure.
I'm borrowing Wikipedia's explanation because it's closest to my view on it:
Arrogant is an adjective that may refer to having excessive pride in oneself. A person who is arrogant often exaggerates one's own worth or importance in an overbearing manner.

Read again, they are arrogant if they exaggerate their worth or importance. If they have excessive pride.

The truth can't be an exaggeration. The truth can't be excessive. The only problem is when it's impossible to say what the truth IS, exactly. In fact, it's almost always the case; there are very few truths that just aren't disputable. Precisely because of that, people might see someone as arrogant: because they don't agree about whether his confidence is based on something real, or something imagined/presumed/exaggerated.

But in case of Federer, I don't see what is exaggerated. He is the best ATM, there's no doubt about it. Fans see it, peers admit it, past legends support it. That's overwhelming evidence.

Also, I don't think Federer overestimates his 'worth' or 'importance' as a person. He is only aware of his superiority in playing tennis. Being aware of your superiority in such a (relatively) unimportant field - it's just a game after all, hitting a yellow ball with funny looking racquet; not exactly rocket science - doesn't equal thinking about yourself as if you are worth more than mere mortals, something J Lo excells at doing.

Castafiore
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I don't need to read it again but I just interprete those things differently. The excessive part of that explanation is more about showing your pride than the truth part of it. (At least, that's how I view it).

IMO, you can be telling the truth and still be arrogant about it.

For example Mohammad Ali. Everybody knows him but just look up his story on the internet. Just about anybody agreed that he was the greatest so when he was boasting "I am the greatest", he was telling the truth.
However, at the same time, Ali has the reputation of being arrogant.

Lance Armstrong was the best Tour de France cyclist of his generation. So, his pride was based on facts. However, he's still seen as a touch arrogant.

Michael Schumacher. Come on. How often have I not read the comment that he's arrogant. He has the record number of world titles and he's one of the very best F1 pilots in the history of the sport so his pride is based on facts.

Another example.
Students take an IQ test. Student X has the highest IQ.
Not arrogant IMO: The student is proud, makes no secret of it, phones his parents to tell them the results.
Arrogant: the student goes around the school to tell everybody about it, talks about at just about every occassion he/she can find, checks with the schoolpaper that the story gets published.

Truth and arrogance can go together.

Compared to people like the amazing Ali, Schumacher,...Federer is not as arrogant but he does have a touch of arrogance in him from time to time.
I don't see that as an insult at all, since I think that you need a lot of confidence and a bit of arrogance to stay on top.

About the original post, I've read articles about it in French and he simply said that he was going to keep playing until 2012 (at least until the London 2012 Olympics). There was no talk about expecting to be dominating all that time as far as I can tell.

Apemant
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't need to read it again but I just interprete those things differently. The excessive part of that explanation is more about showing your pride than the truth part of it. (At least, that's how I view it).

IMO, you can be telling the truth and still be arrogant about it.

It seems we don't disagree about what is arrogance, but what is truth.

If Mohammad Ali only knew the truth, i.e. that he is the greatest boxer of the time, he probably wouldn't boast around so much. But the problem is that he obviously valued that fact (him being the greatest boxer) too much - and I don't think being the greatest in punching people in the face (or hitting stupid yellow balls) is really worth that much.

Yet, since there is no consensus about what truth really is, what is really worth much and what isn't - I will agree with you. It is possible to be arrogant while only telling the truth... of some sort. ;)

Magus13
02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Q:Roger, do you see youreself retiring on top of the game at 26 like Borg did.

A: Well you know I really don't enjoy competeing in tournaments and my game is going to fall off soon. Maybe I'll play another year or two but I'll probably be over the hill by 28. By the way my game isn't all that good and I realize the pursuit of excellence and breaking tennis records probably wont happen anyway. By the way I'm sorry for the war in Iraq, global warming and any othe problems that you can think off. I'm arrogant, not hot, play weak competition, suck on clay courts, fear Nadal, i am un-patriotic, am too open with the press, can't compare to Sampras, I don't believe in God, and my girlfriend isn't pretty enough. Maybe I should just give up tennis now and go live in a cave.

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Q:Roger, do you see youreself retiring on top of the game at 26 like Borg did.

A: Well you know I really don't enjoy competeing in tournaments and my game is going to fall off soon. Maybe I'll play another year or two but I'll probably be over the hill by 28. By the way my game isn't all that good and I realize the pursuit of excellence and breaking tennis records probably wont happen anyway. By the way I'm sorry for the war in Iraq, global warming and any othe problems that you can think off. I'm arrogant, not hot, play weak competition, suck on clay courts, fear Nadal, i am un-patriotic, am too open with the press, can't compare to Sampras, I don't believe in God, and my girlfriend isn't pretty enough. Maybe I should just give up tennis now and go live in a cave.
I did have to laugh at that :lol:

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 06:23 PM
nothing new everyone knows that Roger is ultra arrogant Even Tennis Magazine wrote that Roger jacket at Wimby "looked like a case of superstar buying into his own hype" and it is exactly what Roger is doing

nobama
02-06-2007, 06:35 PM
nothing new everyone knows that Roger is ultra arrogant Even Tennis Magazine wrote that Roger jacket at Wimby "looked like a case of superstar buying into his own hype" and it is exactly what Roger is doing:yawn:

Magus13
02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
nothing new everyone knows that Roger is ultra arrogant Even Tennis Magazine wrote that Roger jacket at Wimby "looked like a case of superstar buying into his own hype" and it is exactly what Roger is doing

TROLL :smash:

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Yeah maybe he will dominate but his own tour in computer or seniors tour when he will be 30

Magus13
02-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah maybe he will dominate but his own tour in computer or seniors tour when he will be 30

And whatever he's dominating you can be assured he'll be kicking the shit out of your boy Roddick.

Loremaster
02-06-2007, 06:47 PM
And whatever he's dominating you can be assured he'll be kicking the shit out of your boy Roddick. By the way nice job by Sharapova.

thats sad :( I hope andy will beat him at least once until he retires :devil:
What nice job by Sharapova ??

R.Federer
02-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Tomic above looks like a young JCF

NYCtennisfan
02-07-2007, 04:11 AM
It would be impossible for the likes of Federer, Woods, Jordan, etc. not to be arrogant. When there is a ranking that says you are better than anyone else who plays that sport, or in some cases has ever played that sport, how can a human being remain humble? The entire world recognizes the fact that you are better than everyone and anyone that takes up that sport or has taken up the sport in the past.

To even get to play at this level you have to be arrogant. To get to the top 10 is another level of self-belief. To get to #1 is yet another level. To be possibly the best that has ever played the game is yet something else. Without being cocky and arrogant, there is no way that you are going to go out onto a field or court or raceway or whatever and dominate time and time again. You must believe that you are better than everyone else and will prevail because you are indeed inherently better. To what degree someone shows their superiority is another matter. Some are brash and in your face. At other times, you just see it in their eyes. Jordan would raise up and score and on his way down the court, you could see the feeling superiority in his eyes. You can see the same thing in Tiger's eyes on Sundays when he is winning by 5 strokes with a few holes to play. "I am better than you, I am better than everyone. That is why I win and that is why there is nobody like me."

To us commoners, it can bring about disgust. I can see why someone would not like Federer because of this or Woods or Jordan or whomever. But it is what it is and it is what sports brings out in all its great champions.

Allez
02-07-2007, 05:06 AM
People should stop making a big deal out of Rogi's comments. Use your common sense. As you grow older, you slow down. Your timing goes off. Mentally you tire easily, the hunger and motivation aren't what they once were etc. Not that I've reached that milestone yet (thank god!), so I have no idea what is like to be in your 30's but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that things will start to go downhill quite rapidly:rolleyes:

nkhera1
02-07-2007, 05:30 AM
Fed most likely won't be dominating this at his 30s but the gap is so far that unless a player better than Federer comes up, he will still be the heavy favorite at Wimbledon and at US Open and Australian.

As for the arrogant thing, I find it difficult to believe how you guys think he is so arrogant. He could be 10 times more arrogant and be justified because of how good he is.

World Beater
02-07-2007, 06:20 AM
age will catch up with federer...but not as much as people think

the miles on his body are sometimes a better indicator than age itself and fed wins this over every top player playing a full schedule in spades.

mentally, will he be able to handle it?

World Beater
02-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Fed most likely won't be dominating this at his 30s but the gap is so far that unless a player better than Federer comes up, he will still be the heavy favorite at Wimbledon and at US Open and Australian.

As for the arrogant thing, I find it difficult to believe how you guys think he is so arrogant. He could be 10 times more arrogant and be justified because of how good he is.

thats the thing i dont understand either...federer is perhaps the least arrogant #1 in any sport i have ever seen.

jordan was arrogant and many times he would hurl the obscenities when challenged, but i still think jordan had great respect for his opponents.

arrogance is overconfidence, and if these guys were really that overconfident, there's no way they would be on top of their respective sports for so long...they are wary of the opponent.

nobama
02-07-2007, 11:37 AM
arrogance is overconfidence, and if these guys were really that overconfident, there's no way they would be on top of their respective sports for so long...they are wary of the opponent.Good example is the way Fed came out and played in the Djokovic and Roddick matches at AO. OK maybe he was sick of all the media attention surrounding these matches and wanted to prove a point, but I think he came out playing a level above because he knew he had to.

guy in sf
02-08-2007, 02:13 AM
He is at his peak right now and I have said this before and I will say it now, it will be harder and harder for him to stay as dominant as he's been, that's just nature's logic. Physically and mentally he will be fading gradually but the bad news for the rest is he's only freakin 25 so they all will have to deal with him at this kind of dominance for probably another 2 good years. He won't fade all of the sudden though, it will be a gradual decline which still allows him to continue to win but it won't be at every tournament like now.

Fedever
02-08-2007, 03:12 AM

Thats exactly what I thought when I read the article. Where is the quote that he said that? :rolleyes:

CmonAussie
02-08-2007, 04:18 AM
thats the thing i dont understand either...federer is perhaps the least arrogant #1 in any sport i have ever seen.

jordan was arrogant and many times he would hurl the obscenities when challenged, but i still think jordan had great respect for his opponents.

arrogance is overconfidence, and if these guys were really that overconfident, there's no way they would be on top of their respective sports for so long...they are wary of the opponent.

:wavey:
:cool:
Yeah exactly;) .. Fed is about as arrogant as the average Joe on the street [if that`s arrogance then I`m guilty as well:devil: ].
But what Roger has achieved in the last 4-years is truly beyond belief~> to dominate such a gruelling sport when the competition is so deep & at a time when technology has allowed nearly everyone to pound the ball 200 km/hr.
If ever someone had the right to be arrogant it`s Fed, but fortunately he hasn`t chosen that path:cool: :angel:
Tiger Woods is in the same league as Federer in terms of what he`s managed to achieve, but I do detect a lot more arrogance coming from the Tiger:devil: ~> even so he is still one of my favourite sportsmen & someone I admire..
If Fed were any less arrogant he`d probably need to check himself into a psychiatric hospital due to being delusional about reality:p
Roger is just realistic enough to give honest answers when they come his way~> seriously short of tanking matches I don`t know what his critics expect from him:confused:

Clara Bow
02-08-2007, 04:50 AM
federer is perhaps the least arrogant #1 in any sport i have ever seen.

I agree. I actually think that Federer is truthful, sometimes to the point of bluntness. But I don't mind that. It's not like he is spouting claims that he can't back up. :lol:

And I like how he points out that some other players should be given more credit for being skillful players. The most recent example was his comments about Youzhny before their match.

federated
02-08-2007, 09:33 AM

Yes. The quotes in the article don't merit your conclusion at all.

oz_boz
02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
He talks of winning five wimbledons. Talks of winning four grans slams in a row, doesnt sound like a guy who would back away from saying i'll be on top in five years. In facdt it sounds like he is saying it.

http://www.hearingaids101.com/

radics
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
lol I've expected something diffrent after reading case' comment about this interview.

I enjoy the battle so much...

...playing in front of all the fans...

...would be a dream come true.

...But I am not there yet...

...I have to just hope I can keep my run going...

...If I can win that tournament, that would mean...

Sounds extreeeeeeemly arrogant. Poor haters... they have so little stuff to "work" with. :haha:

vesanto
02-08-2007, 04:24 PM
For me it is quite impressive the way people try to make Federer look arrogant. For me he is the most polite player ever and really down to earth. And be like that with all he has already achieved is insane.

Other huge players like Sampras and McEnroe were much more arrogant in my opinion.