footwork problems [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

footwork problems

lleytonhewitt
02-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Hi when you hit a backhand(i'm right handed) you step forward(final step before impact) with your left foot dont you? and for forehand step forward with your right? am I correct?

Warneck
02-05-2007, 08:16 AM
You should somewhat shift your body weight towards the net, yes. So it depends on what you mean by "step forward".. Cause if you're constantly moving further and further into the court you will be caught in dead-mans-zone. (The space between net and baseline-position)

tennisismygame
03-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Actually, you need to step forward with you right foot on a backhand and with your left foot on your forehand.

FluffyYellowBall
03-20-2007, 07:05 PM
yea, opposite of what u said. On the bh especially u should have more of a closed stance

Goldy
03-23-2007, 08:22 PM
It really depends whether you are playing open stance or closed stance.

If you are right handed and are playing a FH you will have your right leg outside on the open stance and your left leg across on a closed stance.

On the BH the left leg is outside on the open stance and the right leg is across on the closed stance.

My personal coaching preference is def open on the FH and closed on the BH for short balls with the option of going open on deep balls.

Check out www.powertennistraining.com for footwork drills etc that will make your shots more effective.

nepaPRO
03-28-2007, 04:51 PM
in my personal opinion you get much more power out of hitting your forehand with an open stance, the closed stance is equaly good if you are having trouble controling where your shots end up. take nadal for example he has extreme topspin on his forehand and tremendous power, thus you can infer that he hits with an open stance, which he does. don't get me wrong the closed stance is good but again it controls the ball, not the best choice for power.