Six Nations Round 1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Six Nations Round 1

Bolar Bolabi
02-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Missed the earlier 2 games as I didn't want to play them, however, I'm jumping all over Ireland tonight against Wales.

Ireland -5.5 @ $1.91

bad gambler
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Wales to cover +5.5 v Ireland

good luck

jayjay
02-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Took the over 46 England/Scotland yesterday at EVS, but missed out on a real gem. I seriously considered Wilkinson over 26pts at 5/1, but decided I was being too optimistic for him (although it was on the basis England would thrash Scotland, which they did).

I never like Ireland as favs, they have forever failed to deal with expectation, remember not long ago when they were supposed to win the Grandslam?

I'll probably leave the match itself, but am thinking of the points total, any thoughts?

Wales don't look full of points, but playing at home will get them some decisions and possibly find their way to 20+. Ireland have more firepower, and should if they are to win reach that total at least.

State of play is;

Over 46pts 10/11
Under 44pts 11/10
44-46pts 7/1

bad gambler
02-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Took the over 46 England/Scotland yesterday at EVS, but missed out on a real gem. I seriously considered Wilkinson over 26pts at 5/1, but decided I was being too optimistic for him (although it was on the basis England would thrash Scotland, which they did).

I never like Ireland as favs, they have forever failed to deal with expectation, remember not long ago when they were supposed to win the Grandslam?

I'll probably leave the match itself, but am thinking of the points total, any thoughts?

Wales don't look full of points, but playing at home will get them some decisions and possibly find their way to 20+. Ireland have more firepower, and should if they are to win reach that total at least.

State of play is;

Over 46pts 10/11
Under 44pts 11/10
44-46pts 7/1

Looking at the team sheets Wales are fielding a pretty inexperienced backline, but there is certainly some potential for points. However depends on whether Ireland play their boring territory game on the back of O'Gara's boot. I'm thinking they will hence believe this one will be a decided by a score either way.

In terms of Ireland winning the Grand Slam, their schedule definitely will help them - they play probably the two hardest opponents France and England at home this year. I had a little nibble at them to win the slam earlier this week at $5.20

jayjay
02-04-2007, 01:30 PM
That's my concern for points coming from Wales, and I'm not a fan of Jones or O'Gara either, they both annoy the hell out of me. :lol:

Ireland have points in them, but you wonder whether that will come to fruition in the 1st 6 Nations match away from home. As you say, they may well play their boring territory based game instead of being a little more creative and adventurous.

Wales due to injuries/suspensions, have gone for a solid based backline. No Williams, Thomas and Henson surely reduces their ability to put some points up. With Jones and Hook in the side, they will possibly look for territory too, and you can imagine the game ending up 20-17, 19-16 either way, something like that.

Wales should win the battle upfront, limiting the opportunity for the Irish backs to cut loose, and enabling Wales to play a territorial game if that's what they wish. You have to think that at home 1st match up, they are not going to get rolled over or make it easy for the Irish even with the absences.

At the moment, I'm siding with the under 44, and a saver on 44-46.

SwiSha
02-04-2007, 03:27 PM
anyone watching this?? would like to make a bet at HT

jayjay
02-04-2007, 04:03 PM
anyone watching this?? would like to make a bet at HT

Same as pre-match, very close to call. Wales might be made to rue not putting one or two tries on the board when they were in charge in the 1st half.

SwiSha
02-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Same as pre-match, very close to call. Wales might be made to rue not putting one or two tries on the board when they were in charge in the 1st half.

thanks jayjay :yeah: i thought so and left it alone

jayjay
02-04-2007, 04:53 PM
At the moment, I'm siding with the under 44, and a saver on 44-46.

Under is bank. :)

A hard fought match, I actually felt Wales were the slightly better side in general, but Ireland were ruthlessly efficient when chances came their way, and Wales did not convert any of their good positions into tries.

A character win for Ireland more than an impressive one, Wales will feel satisfied with their performance and effort but not in their failure to capitalise on try scoring opportunities.

bad gambler
02-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Wales to cover +5.5 v Ireland

good luck

lost

Bolar Bolabi
02-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Missed the earlier 2 games as I didn't want to play them, however, I'm jumping all over Ireland tonight against Wales.

Ireland -5.5 @ $1.91

Good start to the team who I think will win the 6 nations and be in the world cup final against New Zealand later on in the year.

dave nz
02-05-2007, 01:08 AM
and be in the world cup final

:eek: :eek: :eek:

sports freak
02-05-2007, 07:32 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :speakles: :speakles: :speakles:

Bolar Bolabi
02-05-2007, 11:25 PM

You heard me

MissPovaFan
02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
No reason why not - that was a very underpar performance by Ireland yet theys till outscored Wales by 3 tries to 0. They made light of the "powerful" Welsh pack and the class shone through at the end.

I was actually there at the match and there was a great deal of optimism in the Welsh camp but I'd be quite tempted to back Scotland to beat them next Saturday especially if speedsters such as Shane Williams don't return.

MissPovaFan
02-05-2007, 11:46 PM
For the World Cup I reckon you can get England at 15/1 to win it - and why not really? They can beat any of the Northern Hemisphere sides and Oz/SA. NZ will be tough but their clear favourite status at 4/7 is a joke as we all know they bottle it at World Cups! France can't string enough wins together, Australia are poor and could lose to one of the journeymen 6 Nations sides, SA won't do it either. (NZ are considered even clearer favs than Federer to win Wimbledon for eg.)

MissPovaFan
02-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Sorry I just found another bet.... England are -27 at 10/11 to beat Italy. The match is at Twickenham - England will win by about 40-50 margin! Lump it on :)

Bolar Bolabi
02-05-2007, 11:50 PM
When the betting options for the world cup come out, I'll be on a New Zealand V Ireland quinella.

dave nz
02-06-2007, 12:11 AM
IMO no team from the 6 nations will make the final or win it. Why ?
Because they are miles behind, simply not good enough. France is a rough hope but thats all.

Mr Flamboyant
02-06-2007, 06:34 AM
IMO no team from the 6 nations will make the final or win it. Why ?
Because they are miles behind, simply not good enough. France is a rough hope but thats all.

What's your early tip ? NZ vs ...?

dave nz
02-06-2007, 07:16 AM

I should have rephrased it.....a six nations team won't win the final.
The way the draw is structured one could make it.

sports freak
02-07-2007, 07:20 AM

NZ vs Australia :D

jayjay
02-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Sorry I just found another bet.... England are -27 at 10/11 to beat Italy. The match is at Twickenham - England will win by about 40-50 margin! Lump it on :)

Agreed, Italy are in for a pounding.

Re: WC Final predictions, Ireland? No chance.

jayjay
02-10-2007, 06:12 AM
England -27. Has to be, hitting it hard. Looking for something like 45-9. A strong start should see England roll on from there.