Vass
03-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Player of the year : Roddick :o

Doubles team: Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan

Most Improved Player: Rainer Schuettler

Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award:Paradorn Srichaphan:clap2:

Newcomer: Rafael Nadal

Comeback Player: Mark Philippoussis

Fans' Favorite:Roger Federer :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Not Marat...

Arthur Ashe Humanitarian:Gustavo Kuerten

Ron Bookman Media Excellence: John Parsons

Tournaments of the Year ATP Masters Series: Miami

International Series Gold: Dubai

International Series: Houston & Bastad

Deboogle!.
03-24-2004, 02:42 PM

:eek: what???

and CONGRATS Andy and the Bryan Brothers!!! :aparty:

Kiara
03-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Coria was robbed :fiery:

Guga :woohoo:

Vass
03-24-2004, 02:48 PM
:eek: what???

That's what: ;)
"Rainer Schuettler improved his year-end ranking for an ATP-best ninth consecutive season, jumping from No. 33 to No. 6 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking. He won titles in Tokyo and Lyon and reached the Australian Open final, finishing with 71 match wins on the season."

Deboogle!.
03-24-2004, 02:49 PM
:shrug: Sorry I don't think Schuettler was most improved. It's looking more and more like 2003 was a fluke year for him lol. As Kiara rightly put it..... Guille wuz robbed

Vass
03-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Coria was robbed :fiery:

Guga :woohoo:
Where is Marat in the top-5 fan faves? :o

Deboogle!.
03-24-2004, 02:52 PM
you all didn't vote enough lmfao

Kiara
03-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Where is Marat in the top-5 fan faves? :o

Thats what you get when you're MIA for a year *shrug*

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 02:58 PM
:shrug: Sorry I don't think Schuettler was most improved. It's looking more and more like 2003 was a fluke year for him lol. As Kiara rightly put it..... Guille wuz robbed

I don't either, bunk. When I saw that, I was like :eek:
Guille wuz big time robbed...... :confused:

Deboogle!.
03-24-2004, 02:59 PM
I don't either, bunk. When I saw that, I was like :eek:
Guille wuz big time robbed...... :confused:

hhmmmmmph! let's go protest the ATP offices ;)

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 03:04 PM
You start the petition; I sign; and then we can start our little "boycott". How does that sound?

Kiara
03-24-2004, 03:06 PM
why dont we just throw rotten fruit and egg their cars? ;)

jtipson
03-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Don't understand all the fuss about Coria/Schuettler. If you're going on rankings, it's quite a close thing, isn't it? And this is 2003, it doesn't really matter what they've done since.

2001 (just for reference)
43 Schuettler, Rainer GER 885
44 Coria, Guillermo ARG 875

33 Schuettler, Rainer GER 980
45 Coria, Guillermo ARG 778

5 Coria, Guillermo ARG 3330
6 Schuettler, Rainer GER 3205

Oh, and glad to see Roger won the fans' vote. Bit surprised though, I guess his win in IW attracted a few more folk.

alfonsojose
03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Congrats, Rainer. ;)

Lady
03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Guille :eek: :mad: :fiery:

I can uderstand why they picked Andy, he finished #1 after all ;)

But not picking Guille :mad:

yanchr
03-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Congrats Roger :D

But still I think under Player of the year should also be your name. OK...let me face it, Andy is No1

Also pretty surprised like you all that Rainer is chosen the most improved player...:eek:

TheBoiledEgg
03-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Coria should have got most improved.

good to see John Parsons getting an award too :)
congrats Fetus and Poo :)
and Pararorn on their awards too

amethyst
03-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Maybe Rainer got the award because nobody exspected him to get that far while Coria has been praised as a potential top player from the beginning of his career. And Coria hasn´t reached a slam final yet.
I think all honoured persons deserve their award, especially Guga :) Congratulations!

tangerine_dream
03-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Player of the year: Roddick

Doubles team: Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan

Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award:Paradorn Srichaphan

Newcomer: Rafael Nadal

Comeback Player: Mark Philippoussis

Fans' Favorite:Roger Federer

Arthur Ashe Humanitarian:Gustavo Kuerten

Tournaments of the Year ATP Masters Series: Miami

International Series Gold: Dubai

International Series: Houston & Bastad

:woohoo: Congrats to Andy, Roger, and the Bryan Brothers. :banana: :worship:

And Rainer....oh, the irony! :tape:

vene
03-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Congrats Roger! I knew you were the fan fave!!I am sure you will win many more awards in future.
Good for Andy!! He did get to #1 last year. The way Roger is playing Andy may never win another award though ;)

Ma. Estefania
03-24-2004, 05:06 PM
What unfairness with Guillermo :mad:

jazz_girl
03-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Guille was robbed, I still can't believe they chose Schuettler...

Pea
03-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Congrats to the Bryans, Rainer, Paradorn, Rafael, Mark, Roger, Gustavo, John, Miami, Dubai, Houston, and Bastad!!!!!!!!

Billabong
03-24-2004, 06:44 PM
YEAH congrats Guga:D!!!!

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Maybe Rainer got the award because nobody exspected him to get that far while Coria has been praised as a potential top player from the beginning of his career. And Coria hasn´t reached a slam final yet.
I think all honoured persons deserve their award, especially Guga :) Congratulations!
That's a good point, actually.

Rainer really came out of nowhere. Coria did too, but Coria is still young and if not for the drug blah, he'd likely have been higher ranked the year before. He had been ranked as high as 25 before he was banned.

Or maybe people just don't like him very much ;)

Yonge
03-24-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't know exactly why, but for some reason I kind of knew that Rainer would win Most Improved. I'm not surprised at all, though Guille definitely improved a lot also.

Leo
03-24-2004, 07:27 PM
I guess they gave the edge to Rainer over Guille because he reached a Slam final, opposed to Guille's Slam semifinal. I don't agree with that decision, but it doesn't matter much.

Kiara
03-24-2004, 07:47 PM
yes but Coria won 5 titles last year, one of which was a Masters series event, Rainer how many?....2? Im not sure thats how they look at it.....maybe it's how many wins he's had...Rainer virtually played more matches than anyone else on tour, so he won more, his 71 match wins to Coria's 60.

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2004, 07:51 PM
I don't think that their achievements were compared against each others, exactly... that's not really what the reward was about.

I guess it came down to the age thing, and Coria's circumstances.

It's really not that big of a deal at the end of the day. I'm sure Coria didn't cry about it for too long ;)

alfonsojose
03-24-2004, 07:57 PM
This award came from the players. Maybe they think Rainer is older. Anyway, we already know Gaudio's choice :lol:

Besides, you can't forget Rainer's consistency through 2003 (AO Final and 3 4R at slams) and his results against top-10 players. Coria raised his level, yes, but mainly on clay.

J. Corwin
03-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Oh well, Coria will have many more chances of winning an award. Rainer...well;)

Marine
03-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Player of the year : Roddick :awww:

Doubles team: Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan =) i would have chosen grosjean/clement who beat them :lol:

Most Improved Player: Rainer Schuettler :rolleyes:

Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award:Paradorn Srichaphan OK

Newcomer: Rafael Nadal OK

Comeback Player: Mark Philippoussis :confused:

Fans' Favorite:Roger Federer :clap2:

Arthur Ashe Humanitarian:Gustavo Kuerten why not

Tournaments of the Year ATP Masters Series: Miami i don't know this tounament unfortunatly...

International Series Gold: Dubai why ?

International Series: Houston & Bastad why ?

Tennis Fool
03-25-2004, 12:07 AM
For those who know the history of the awards: Has every player finishing No. 1 been "Player of the Year" ?

Vass: What is that Marat photo in your avatar from???

i love paradorn
03-25-2004, 01:12 AM
I thought it was Marat at first, but it's Grosjean.

Jessi
03-25-2004, 01:30 AM
Its Marat and the pic is from Lisbon 2000.

argiesf
03-25-2004, 01:36 AM
coria was robbed

TennisLurker
03-25-2004, 01:37 AM
I also thought it was grosjean.

Are you sure it is Marat?

Kiara
03-25-2004, 01:39 AM
In Vass avatar? It's marat flipping the bird ;) why would seb be wearing adidas?

WyveN
03-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Congrats Roger, especially after all the fuss about him being unpopular, boring etc

A case could be made for either Schuettler or Coria so I don't think Coria was robbed.

Tennis Fool
03-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Why was Marat flipping the birds 20 and drinking beer???

alfonsojose
03-25-2004, 02:14 AM
Coria was not robbed. And Rainer is not unworthy of that award.

Go Rainer :)

alfonsojose
03-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Grosjean look nice on that Avatar. It looks like and old movie pic (Titanic or The Pianist)

Chloe le Bopper
03-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Coria raised his level, yes, but mainly on clay.

See... that's not right. I could care less if Coria won this or not, but he did improve on all surfaces except grass. He made the second week of both hardcourt slams, did well in some nonclay masters series, and "won" a title on carpet.

His improvement on clay was more obvious because that is his best surface, but I don't think it's fair to say he improved "mainly" on clay... that's like saying Schuettler improved "mainly" on hardcourts. It's not untrue, but it doesn't give full credit

alfonsojose
03-25-2004, 02:29 AM
Rebecca. You're right. The "mainly" dismisses his other results. Maybe the upsetting thing for me is the reactions about Schuettler. If Coria had gotten the award, i'd be fine. He deserved it. But i do believe Rainer deserved it, too.

Anyway, I've post a lot in this thread. My point is clear.

Good luck

Chloe le Bopper
03-25-2004, 02:37 AM
I agree that Schuettler was a very deserving recipient. I'm not sure why there is so much reaction about it... for one thing, they are "just" the ATP awards. It's not like they gave it to Verkerk, who really only had two good results.

Scotso
03-25-2004, 02:39 AM
Guille :sad:

Rafael :D

Paradorn sportsman of the year? :rolleyes:

LCeh
03-25-2004, 02:43 AM
Wow, I am still kinda surprised that Roger was the fans' favorite. Congrats to all the players that got awards!

J. Corwin
03-25-2004, 02:46 AM
For those who know the history of the awards: Has every player finishing No. 1 been "Player of the Year" ?

Nope.

Edberg finished 1990 as #1 but the award was given to Lendl. That was when there was a panel of judges for these awards. Their reasoning for giving it to Lendl was that no number 1 would go out in the first round of a slam (Edberg lost 1st roun in FO that year, I believe). The panel has since been dropped so it's safe to say year ending #1's from now on will be the Player of the Year.

I'm doing all of this off the top of my head so I may be wrong.

Billabong
03-25-2004, 02:48 AM
Rogi:D!!!

Yonge
03-25-2004, 03:16 AM
Did the players vote for the winners?

Tennis Fool
03-25-2004, 03:35 AM
Nope.

Edberg finished 1990 as #1 but the award was given to Lendl. That was when there was a panel of judges for these awards. Their reasoning for giving it to Lendl was that no number 1 would go out in the first round of a slam (Edberg lost 1st roun in FO that year, I believe). The panel has since been dropped so it's safe to say year ending #1's from now on will be the Player of the Year.

I'm doing all of this off the top of my head so I may be wrong.

Deboogle!.
03-25-2004, 03:40 AM
Did the players vote for the winners?

I believe so, all except the fan favorite (duh lol)

CooCooCachoo
03-25-2004, 05:29 AM
I am very much pleased that Coría didn't win any awards, because of his drugs past. In my opinion, there is no such thing as forgiven and forgotten in top sport.

Yonge
03-25-2004, 05:40 AM
I.... In my opinion, there is no such thing as forgiven and forgotten in top sport.

I wish I can say the same thing about the NHL (National Hockey League) and all those career-ending injuries that went unpunished or are not being punished enough. :sad: :mad:

J. Corwin
03-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Not everything is voted by the players. The Player of the Year, Double Team of the Year...aren't voted by the players. Those are decided by rankings.

Buddy
03-25-2004, 10:30 AM
well coria was supposed to be a top player if it wasnt for some ban that left his rankings down.... so actually he din really improve much...he was just as good as ever...

Rainer on the other hand did improve quite well....

Deboogle!.
03-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Some of the players got their awards today :cool:

Lee
03-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Some of the players got their awards today :cool:

Grrrr! No tux? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
03-25-2004, 10:03 PM
lol well it doesn't seem like the right type of ceremony for a tux... none of them dressed up :p

Lee
03-25-2004, 10:09 PM
lol well it doesn't seem like the right type of ceremony for a tux... none of them dressed up :p

They should be presented in an evening gala with tux and beautiful women. ;)

Deboogle!.
03-25-2004, 10:10 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Well sorry, can't help ya about that one ;)

J. Corwin
03-25-2004, 11:10 PM
C'mon...it should be a more formal occasion. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 12:04 AM
I am very much pleased that Coría didn't win any awards, because of his drugs past. In my opinion, there is no such thing as forgiven and forgotten in top sport.
Not that I don't mind you ahving an opinion like this (I understand that many likely feel the same way)... but I'm curious how much you personally know about his case?

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 01:43 AM
Because I know you all care SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

Havok
03-26-2004, 01:47 AM
:banana:

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 01:51 AM
I just want to say that I really like Mike's shirt. Pretty color, takes a real man to wear seafoam green and look good :drool:

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 01:51 AM
I don't understand why people think Fed should be player of the year over Roddick. Aside from the fact that it always goes to number one (in recent years), Fed's year really wasn't better. His Houston can be cancelled out with Roddick's two MS, his slam is cancelled by Roddicks slam, then you're left with slam results and what not, of which Roddicks were better. Federer may be more talented, but he didn't have a better year.

That is my story.

Havok
03-26-2004, 01:53 AM
yeah pretty much Rebecca. its player of the year not talented player of the year:scared:

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 01:55 AM
It could be worse, I suppose. At least nobody thinks it should have been Ferrero :p (who shat his case out the window by losing 6 in a row to end the year)

Havok
03-26-2004, 01:56 AM
:haha: he could have really made it more of a fuss at the end of the year, but he went and flaked out.:(

LCeh
03-26-2004, 01:57 AM
Hmm... I honestly might be biased, but I think in 2003, Federer in general had a better year because his titles seem to be more spread out. He was performing throughout the year, and also he won a title on all surfaces. That proves that he was performing almost at all times, on all surfaces.

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 01:59 AM
But that's not the criterion for Player of the Year.... ranking is. the award is not who had the more consistent year or who won on the most surface but who was the Player of the Year.

blueriver
03-26-2004, 01:59 AM
hehe, Thanks bunk for the pics, Andy, Mike and Bob looks so cool and handsome..haha

LCeh
03-26-2004, 02:00 AM
But that's not the criterion for Player of the Year.... ranking is. the award is not who had the more consistent year or who won on the most surface but who was the Player of the Year.

I don't know, but I would certainly think consistancy is a huge factor. Being able to perform on all surfaces is a huge bonus, because it proves that you are a complete player. To be honest, being able to win on all surfaces proves much more than just dominating one.

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 02:00 AM
You're quite welcome :) I agree, they do all look good. Wonder how much it cost to get them all in jeans and semi-real shirts :haha:

Havok
03-26-2004, 02:02 AM
Hmm... I honestly might be biased, but I think in 2003, Federer in general had a better year because his titles seem to be more spread out. He was performing throughout the year, and also he won a title on all surfaces. That proves that he was performing almost at all times, on all surfaces.
he won on grass, hardcourts, and clay. Roddick won on grass, hardcourts, and clay. i see no difference :shrug: and besides, its all about the bigger tournaments. first up is the slams, and that clearly explains the reason why Andy won it:D

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 02:02 AM
I don't know, but I would certainly think consistancy is a huge factor.

It's all in how you define it. That's not how the ATP defines it, and they're giving out the awards. I could say that someone who had a 19-match winning streak deserves it the most, but again, I'm not giving out the award so my opinion doesn't matter lol

LCeh
03-26-2004, 02:04 AM
he won on grass, hardcourts, and clay. Roddick won on grass, hardcourts, and clay. i see no difference :shrug: and besides, its all about the bigger tournaments. first up is the slams, and that clearly explains the reason why Andy won it:D

I believe he won on carpet as well. But it was true that Roddick in general did better in slams.

Havok
03-26-2004, 02:07 AM
funny how you dont know things about your fave:o but its ok, i'll fill you in;) he won an indoors event, but it was hardcourt. ATP doesn't list indoors as the 4th and final surface, its specifically carpet. Federer won on a hardcourt surface in his indoors win, not a carpet surface

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 02:07 AM
Agreed. Saves me pointing it out.

Federer did win on more surfaces, but it's not like Roddick just won on one. And no, his claycourt tournament win was not a big one, but neither was Feds.

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 02:08 AM
Here's blurbs from the ATP

Stars Receive 2003 ATP Awards at NASDAQ-100 Open

ATP CEO Mark Miles presented several of the ATP's biggest stars with their 2003 ATP Awards at the NASDAQ-100 Open on Thursday.

Andy Roddick, receiving the Player of the Year Award, said: “This wasn't something I expected at the beginning of the season and it's about the biggest award you can receive in tennis. To win two Masters Series events and the US Open and then clinch No. 1 was the highlight of the year.”

Bob and Mike Bryan received the Doubles Team of the Year Award. Bob Bryan said: “To clinch No. 1 the way we did in Houston in the last match was great. We took the lead in the Race by winning at the French Open and we held it all the way through.” Mike Bryan said: “As a kid I just wanted to be No. 1 in my bedroom. So to be No. 1 in the world is a great honor.” (:haha: )

Gustavo Kuerten received the Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year Award. The Gustavo Kuerten Institute has benefited more than 8,500 underprivileged children in Latin America. Kuerten said: “I am very honored to get this award and it is even more motivation to continue all the work with my Institute. I need to share this award with my family, particularly my mother who is the president of the Institute, and my younger brother, Guilherme, who makes us learn every day how to be more human.”

Mark Philippoussis was presented with the Comeback Player of the Year Award. Philippoussis' 2002 season ended with a knee injury at the US Open, but in 2003 he jumped from No. 83 to No. 9 in the INDESIT ATP Entry Ranking to finish in the year-end Top 10 for the first time in his career. For the second consecutive year Paradorn Srichaphan won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award, as voted by his peers.

The NASDAQ-100 Open received its award as ATP Masters Series tournament of the year. The Dubai Tennis Championships received its award as International Series Gold tournament of the year.

All award winners received an elegant Waterford Crystal trophy.

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 02:08 AM
funny how you dont know things about your fave:o but its ok, i'll fill you in;) he won an indoors event, but it was hardcourt. ATP doesn't list indoors as the 4th and final surface, its specifically carpet. Federer won on a hardcourt surface in his indoors win, not a carpet surface
My bad for believing her :p

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 02:09 AM
As a kid I just wanted to be No. 1 in my bedroom.

Uh.. I'm just going to let this one go.

LCeh

Actually it shouldn't be that surprising, since it's not possible for me to know everything about him, neither did I look it up when I posted.

Havok
shame rebecca, shame:(

LCeh
03-26-2004, 02:10 AM
My bad for believing her :p

Wait... her? Who are you refering to? :o

Havok
03-26-2004, 02:10 AM
Actually it shouldn't be that surprising, since it's not possible for me to know everything about him, neither did I look it up when I posted.
well I for one would hope to think that fans of players would know their titles they won in the year, and on surfaces :scared: but its ok that you didn't know, i filled in for you;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 02:11 AM
It's not a massive error anyways. I made it too :p

Some people consider the winning indoors thing an extra "surface" either way.

Anyways, does it really matter? Roddick won it last year, and as things are going now, it will likely be Fed this year, unless he becomes flakey again. So it's all good, and everybody is happy. Except for Ferrero fans, but that is what we get for supporting a plonker :cool:

LCeh
03-26-2004, 02:12 AM
Neh, I didn't even start watching tennis until last year's USO.

Chloe le Bopper
03-26-2004, 02:12 AM
Wait... her? Who are you refering to? :o

Him? :p

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 02:13 AM
uh Naldo.... not everyone is quite the trivia junkie about their faves as you are :p

LCeh
03-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Him? :p

:cool: :worship: ;)

heya
03-26-2004, 04:58 AM
Halle<Queens Club

Beating Henman, Nalbandian in a slam
next time, they'll be beaten in Wimbledon :devil: :dance:

Won 11 unimportant little titles by age 21 yrs 7 days old
(mostly non-clay Masters titles, but it's not worth losing sleep over. :shout: ;)

Denise
03-26-2004, 05:51 AM
:ras: Player of the year : Roddick(:retard:) :mad: :smash: (no coments)

Most Improved Player: Rainer Schuettler :confused: (I don't agree but well)

Fans' Favorite: Roger Federer :eek: (Yeah, not Marat... :bigcry: maybe only Roggi's fans voted lol :devil: )

Arthur Ashe Humanitarian: Gustavo Kuerten (That's so sweet!! You deserved man wuhwuuu... U rocks Gugu :clap2:)

Tournaments of the Year ATP Masters Series: Miami (I love this tournie!! :rocker: Good luck Marat this year in this MS)

IceIceBaby
03-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Rainer had a phenomenal run in 2003. What probably tipped him over Coria was that his was unexpected; it was out of the blue.

Experimentee
03-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Rainer deserved the Most Improved award. He was always somewhat of a journeyman, he was quite old to have improved so much, which makes it better than Guille, who is still young. And everyone always knew Guille was good, but no one expected Rainer would make the top 10 and reach a Slam final. He totally deserves the award.

I really like Paradorn, but I dont understand how he can get the Sportsmanship award twice in a row. There are lots of players who display good sportsmanship, and they should spread it around instead of giving it to the same player twice.

Experimentee
03-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Mike Bryan said: “As a kid I just wanted to be No. 1 in my bedroom. So to be No. 1 in the world is a great honor.”

What a dirty minded kid :o

J. Corwin
03-27-2004, 12:19 AM
that's what I thought too, lol