Nadal's Status for Miami [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal's Status for Miami

DwyaneWade
02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I have seen quite a few people post saying he won't be here this year. Anyone know for sure? I am considering buying tickets for the men's semis and final anyways but it would pretty much clinch the deal if I knew that I had a chance to see Rafa against Fed live.

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure anyone can know this far out.

Unless he's injured, he should be there.

It's a Masters Series event...

yana
02-03-2007, 07:33 PM
i don't see it in his calendar

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/english/en/calendar.html

guga2120
02-03-2007, 07:34 PM
he didn't really play it last year.

I think it will depend on what he does in Indian Wells, if he gets booted early he would proably play, but if does good, he might just go get ready for Clay.

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 07:35 PM
You are right - Miami is not there.

Very odd.

I would think that if he skipped one, it would be IW not Miami.

guga2120
02-03-2007, 07:37 PM
i don't see it in his calendar

http://www.rafaelnadal.com/english/en/calendar.html

i didn't realize he had Davis Cup before Monte Carlo, doesn't look he will play no matter what.

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 07:38 PM
I can't believe he'd miss a Masters Series event so he's rested for DC.

It doesn't make sense.

DrJules
02-03-2007, 07:40 PM
He certainly would not withdraw this early in the year.

SwiSha
02-03-2007, 07:55 PM

It doesn't make sense.

why? Davis Cup is important to him

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 07:59 PM
why? Davis Cup is important to him

I love Davis Cup.

But I think these guys have to think of their careers first.

A Masters Series event should always trump Davis Cup.

Especially for a big Masters Series event. Miami is a huge event. It's the 5th Grand Slam. Rafa should never put Davis Cup before Miami.

But that's my humble opinion... :)

Obviously everyone has their own views.

Snowwy
02-03-2007, 08:00 PM

It doesn't make sense.

Well youre American it appears, so it would be less likely for you to understnad wanting to play DC than a Euro.

DC is series ofr some players..more serious than all event other than Majors.

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 08:10 PM
My favorite player is a Chilean - so I certainly do know how important Davis Cup is for some players. :)

But yet again, Miami is considered to be the 5th Grand Slam.

A player should not miss a huge event like Miami for Davis Cup.

Something is wrong if that happens.

And Rafa has skipped DC before.

Bobby
02-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I love Davis Cup.

But I think these guys have to think of their careers first.

A Masters Series event should always trump Davis Cup.

Especially for a big Masters Series event. Miami is a huge event. It's the 5th Grand Slam. Rafa should never put Davis Cup before Miami.

But that's my humble opinion... :)

Obviously everyone has their own views.

Well, it's always a matter of opinion which is the fifth GS. There are other huge events, such as Monte Carlo and Rome. I think it's just great if Nadal puts Davis Cup before Miami. It's good to see that there are still players who appreciate the opportunity to play for their country. Besides, doing well in the Davis Cup surely is a better achievement than doing well in Miami...

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Well, it's always a matter of opinion which is the fifth GS. There are other huge events, such as Monte Carlo and Rome. I think it's just great if Nadal puts Davis Cup before Miami. It's good to see that there are still players who appreciate the opportunity to play for their country. Besides, doing well in the Davis Cup surely is a better achievement than doing well in Miami...

Monte Carlo and Rome aren't even close to Miami.

Miami is considered to be the 5th Grand Slam. I didn't make it up. That's what it is generally called.

A shame for the sport if true. People expect the top players to play in an event like Miami...much like they would expect them to be at a Grand Slam event. People come from all over the world to the Miami event.

Bobby
02-03-2007, 08:24 PM
My favorite player is a Chilean - so I certainly do know how important Davis Cup is for some players. :)

Madrid and Paris are also Masters Series events, but you don't see all the big names attending. And it's not because of Davis Cup... You have to understand that Rafa's priorities may be different. If he appreciates the European clay courts and the Davis Cup more than Miami, that's fine.

madmanfool
02-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, if he doesn't play and can't give an injury reason, he'll get fined. Not only that , he'll get a big zero in his ranking total, Miami is a mandatory event.

Bobby
02-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Monte Carlo and Rome aren't even close to Miami.

Miami is considered to be the 5th Grand Slam. I didn't make it up. That's what it is generally called.

A shame for the sport if true. People expect the top players to play in an event like Miami...much like they would expect them to be at a Grand Slam event. People come from all over the world to the Miami event.

Hmm, there was a time when Agassi for example didn't play Australian Open at all. It's true that Miami is a big event. But there are many people who travel to Hamburg, Paris and Madrid every year, only to find out that many top players decided not to play. Miami is no different in this sense.

DwyaneWade
02-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Hmm, there was a time when Agassi for example didn't play Australian Open at all. It's true that Miami is a big event. But there are many people who travel to Hamburg, Paris and Madrid every year, only to find out that many top players decided not to play. Miami is no different in this sense.

what a shame if Rafa can't make it this year, but as a fan I would respect his decision if it is for the DC reason.

I guess I will have to content myself by seeing Fed LIVE for the first time :D (unless I just jinxed myself and this year he loses early, leaving me with finals tickets for Spadea-Fish).

Bobby
02-03-2007, 08:41 PM
what a shame if Rafa can't make it this year, but as a fan I would respect his decision if it is for the DC reason.

I guess I will have to content myself by seeing Fed LIVE for the first time :D (unless I just jinxed myself and this year he loses early, leaving me with finals tickets for Spadea-Fish).

That would be too bad... ;)

RogiFan88
02-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Firstly, all top players are REQUIRED to play all TMS tournaments; if they don't and do not have a legitimate reason, i.e., injury, illness, they will be fined.

Secondly, IF Rafa is indeed skipping Miami, it's purely strategic -- he has no points to defend to speak of in Miami, having lost to Moya last year.

Also, Rafa wants to focus on defending all his clay titles again this year and skipping Miami will give him more time to either rest fr IW and/or prepare for MC, BCN, ROMA, HAMBURG and RG.

I am surprised that Rafa w list his schedule until Wimby and NOT have Miami in it... seems weird. I guess he doesn't mind being fined. ;)

nobama
02-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah wouldn't you list it even if you're not sure you're going to play since it's a required event? Davis Cup isn't a for sure thing unless Spain wins win R1. Of course with Fed not playing that's almost a given but still why DC is there but not Miami is strange.

Jimnik
02-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Skipping Miami doesn't make any sense. It's always been the biggest event outside of the slams. The courts are slow and he has nothing to defend, so you'd think he could pick a lot of points.

The following week is Davis Cup, possibly against USA, so he might as well stay in America. To me it would make more sense to skip Indian Wells, not Miami, although he really shouldn't be skipping either of them.

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Skipping Miami doesn't make any sense. It's always been the biggest event outside of the slams. The courts are slow and he has nothing to defend, so you'd think he could pick a lot of points.

The following week is Davis Cup, possibly against USA, so he might as well stay in America. To me it would make more sense to skip Indian Wells, not Miami, although he really shouldn't be skipping either of them.

Thank you. :yeah:

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Miami is certainly not the 5th most important event on tour, it's no more important than any other Masters Series, but why Nadal would skip the one event where he can gain major points until August is a little bizarre to me. Still, it's nice to see a top player prioritising Davis Cup, which means more than a TMS I reckon.

Metis
02-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Relax people! It's probably a mistake in his calendar. Didn't anyone else notice that the IW date is wrong too (it's on March 5th not 15th)?

scoobs
02-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Surely he's going to play - isn't Rafa managed by IMG and doesn't IMG own part or all of the Miami tournament?

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
That's right Scoobs - I hadn't thought of that.

I'm sure its just a mistake on his calendar.

Because it makes absolutely no sense at all.

Johnny Groove
02-03-2007, 10:23 PM
its a screw up on the calendar.

Any man in his 20's that would WILLINGLY skip 2 weeks in Miami and getting PAID TO DO SO is beyond me :devil:

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 10:27 PM
its a screw up on the calendar.

Any man in his 20's that would WILLINGLY skip 2 weeks in Miami and getting PAID TO DO SO is beyond me :devil:

:yeah:

Like I said - makes no sense. :lol:

Miami is the 5th GS (whether people here refuse to accept the fact or not), it's a huge event, it's fun, there's some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and huge party time in South Beach.

Plus Rafa gets a lot of support becuase of all the latinos that live in Miami.

Johnny Groove
02-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Miami is the 5th GS (whether people here refuse to accept the fact or not), it's a huge event, it's fun, there's some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and huge party time in South Beach.

and i might get to see him again :banana:

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 10:32 PM

I didn't know it had ever been officially designated by the ATP as such. :confused: It's just an opinion, and in the same way that it's silly to start suggesting that some Grand Slams are more valuable than others because of factors like "prestige", so it is with the Masters Series. Miami used to be the only 96-draw TMS of course, but since IW now has the same draw size there's no such distinction. The points allocation certainly isn't any different.

Which would you rather win, the TMC or Miami?

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 10:35 PM
and i might get to see him again :banana:

Yeay for you!!!

I've gone to Miami the last 2 years.

The first year I have to admit, I was annoyed there. They seemed to put all my favs (including Rafa) on Courts 1 and 2. Way too small.

But last year, they scheduled the courts much much better. No problems at all.

I love the atmosphere there, practices are easy to see, the main court is probably the prettiest that I've seen, and the food is great.

Plus they treat my South American and Spanish players great!

Johnny Groove
02-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I didn't know it had ever been officially designated by the ATP as such. :confused: It's just an opinion, and in the same way that it's silly to start suggesting that some Grand Slams are more valuable than others because of factors like "prestige", so it is with the Masters Series. Miami used to be the only 96-draw TMS of course, but since IW now has the same draw size there's no such distinction. The points allocation certainly isn't any different.

Miami :hearts:
TMC :ras:

but seriously, if nadal wins Miami beating Federer in the final heading into the clay season, do you know how great that would be for his confidence? (Which needs a real boost)

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Miami :hearts:
TMC :ras:

but seriously, if nadal wins Miami beating Federer in the final heading into the clay season, do you know how great that would be for his confidence? (Which needs a real boost)

Oh undoubtedly, I'm not disputing that it's an important tournament and particularly so for Nadal, but it's not the 5th biggest event on tour, that's all. :p

Johnny Groove
02-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Yeay for you!!!

I've gone to Miami the last 2 years.

The first year I have to admit, I was annoyed there. They seemed to put all my favs (including Rafa) on Courts 1 and 2. Way too small.

But last year, they scheduled the courts much much better. No problems at all.

I love the atmosphere there, practices are easy to see, the main court is probably the prettiest that I've seen, and the food is great.

Plus they treat my South American and Spanish players great!

I didnt go last year. Lack of funds plus faves sucking.

I went for the 05 final tho and the famous 04.

I dunno about this year tho :awww:

Johnny Groove
02-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Oh undoubtedly, I'm not disputing that it's an important tournament and particularly so for Nadal, but it's not the 5th biggest event on tour, that's all. :p

tomato, tomahtoe :p

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm with Blaze - :ras: to TMC. I really don't care at all about it.

As for IW and Miami. Boring desert golf land vs. sun, sand, and beaches...hmmmm....give me a few minutes to think about it. ;) :lol:

(Obviously MIAMI!)

nobama
02-03-2007, 10:43 PM

Maybe it's referred to as the "5th slam" because it's mandatory for both ATP and WTA (the only mandatory event for WTA players) so the best players will all be there? I know not all the top WTA players show up in IW.

kobulingam
02-03-2007, 10:45 PM
The FIFTH grand slam has always been ROME. Maybe it's Miami for America.

kobulingam
02-03-2007, 10:46 PM
I have seen quite a few people post saying he won't be here this year. Anyone know for sure? I am considering buying tickets for the men's semis and final anyways but it would pretty much clinch the deal if I knew that I had a chance to see Rafa against Fed live.

Nadal "HAS" to play in Miami. He can not decide this early not to play. He can only do so before the event due to injury or some other extreme reason.

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Maybe it's referred to as the "5th slam" because it's mandatory for both ATP and WTA (the only mandatory event for WTA players) so the best players will all be there? I know not all the top WTA players show up in IW.

Well, there's no such thing as a tournament where all the top players are guaranteed to be there, what with the withdrawal bug which I predict isn't going to go away this season. I can see your reasoning about both ATP and WTA players, I suppose I was looking at it from a solely ATP perspective, what with this being MTF and all. :p

As for the TMC, would you rather have Agassi's six Miami titles or Lendl and Sampras' five year-end championships? With the latter being against the best seven other players in the world it's certainly a greater achievement.

NYCtennisfan
02-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Miami USED to be the "5th Slam" because they used to have a draw of 128 players, play best of 5 all the way through a couple of years, and best of 5 from the QF through the finals during a few years. They always had a TMS type field of players.

Now the tournament is not special other than the fact that the women play along with the men and that there is a draw of 96 players for the men. The other TMS events bring all the top players together and while they may have slightly smaller draws, all the best players are still there. Miami is certainly no longer the "5th slam".

Johnny Groove
02-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Miami USED to be the "5th Slam" because they used to have a draw of 128 players, play best of 5 all the way through a couple of years, and best of 5 from the QF through the finals during a few years. They always had a TMS type field of players.

Now the tournament is not special other than the fact that the women play along with the men and that there is a draw of 96 players for the men. The other TMS events bring all the top players together and while they may have slightly smaller draws, all the best players are still there. Miami is certainly no longer the "5th slam".

but its still the best tourney outside of slams :ras:

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 10:52 PM

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that it used to be seven rounds with best of five as well - that definitely does live up to the label of 5th Slam, but I'm glad they abolished it, it's one of those irregularities that tennis still suffers from with the way certain tournaments are scheduled.

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 10:52 PM
The FIFTH grand slam has always been ROME. Maybe it's Miami for America.

This isn't a nationalistic thing. Please don't make it one.

Rome isn't considered to be The 5th GS because both the men and women aren't playing at the same time.

NYCtennisfan
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
but its still the best tourney outside of slams :ras:

It is indeed a great event. :) My brother was there for 3 days last year and enjoyed himself tremendously.

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Blaze - we know it's the 5th Grand Slam. Let them think what they want. ;) :lol:

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Blaze - we know it's the 5th Grand Slam. Let them think what they want. ;) :lol:

Those of us who recognise that there is no such thing as the "5th Grand Slam" will be quite content in our delusion. ;)

NYCtennisfan
02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that it used to be seven rounds with best of five as well - that definitely does live up to the label of 5th Slam, but I'm glad they abolished it, it's one of those irregularities that tennis still suffers from with the way certain tournaments are scheduled.

The ATP calendar was a mess back then and that was AFTER they had made an effort to clean things up. You could have a big clay event one week and then a big hardcourt event the next, and then a big indoor tournament the next. I remember Lendl willing to go wherever and play everybody on all the surfaces and win. His 52 consecutive sets won streak included 4 different surfaces I believe.

He also had one of the most dominant runs in any tourhament in the '89 Miami event.

R128 Woodbridge, Todd (AUS) 228 6-2 6-2 6-3
R64 Pugh, Jim (USA) 75 6-3 6-1 6-1
R32 Cane, Paolo (ITA) 67 7-5 6-0 6-4
R16 Gomez, Andres (ECU) 23 6-4 6-2 6-4
Q Krickstein, Aaron (USA) 17 6-2 6-2 6-2
S Curren, Kevin (USA) 21 6-2 6-2 6-3
W Muster, Thomas (AUT) 14 W/

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Those of us who recognise that there is no such thing as the "5th Grand Slam" will be quite content in our delusion. ;)

:lol: :lol:

You are a good person Sjengster - too bad we disagree on everything. :lol:

But we do it in a nice way, true? :)

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 11:06 PM
:lol: :lol:

You are a good person Sjengster - too bad we disagree on everything. :lol:

But we do it in a nice way, true? :)

We do indeed. Hey look - at least I'm not trying to foist a traditionalist agenda upon you by suggesting that Wimbledon is the most prestigious Slam, am I? 'Cos I know you'd love that. ;)

I seem to remember one of the earliest posts of yours that I ever saw was when you declared, "Who wants to see an emotionless, robotic player out there with no passion for their game?", to which I piped up, "I do!"

Johnny Groove
02-03-2007, 11:07 PM
We do indeed. Hey look - at least I'm not trying to foist a traditionalist agenda upon you by suggesting that Wimbledon is the most prestigious Slam, am I? 'Cos I know you'd love that. ;)

I seem to remember one of the earliest posts of yours that I ever saw was when you declared, "Who wants to see an emotionless, robotic player out there with no passion for their game?", to which I piped up, "I do!"

:lol: Federer or Lendl?

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Never saw Lendl at all, way before my time, but I'm sure I would have liked him, if only for the "boring" tag attached to him by the press. And of course Schalken has said he was inspired by Lendl's game as a kid and commentators have noted that the similarity shows.... I suppose Sjeng is a poor, poor man's Lendl, so I'd have enjoyed the superior version.

DrJules
02-03-2007, 11:11 PM

Based on prize money and draw (equal with Indian Wells) it is the 5th biggest, but in points equal 5th with 8 other events. I am excluding the masters cup which is the 5th most important event, but not a regular tournament.

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Based on prize money and draw it is the 5th biggest, but in points equal 5th with 9 other events outside masters cup.

Equal 6th with 8 other events outside the TMC, surely?

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 11:16 PM

Actually you'll be shocked. :lol: I dislike grass. But I went to Wimbly in 2004, and I loved it. It's up there as one of my favorites. I loved all the tradition. And I even loved waiting in line! That was so much fun. :yeah: And I have to admit that I think that it is the most prestigious event - The Cathedral of Tennis. But they need to "tweak" it a bit...change all that grass to a beautiful red clay - red would look lovely with all the green buildings, eh? :)

:lol: I remember that! And to be honest, I've changed on that. I'm beginning to enjoy Fed's game. He's so awesome that it doesn't matter that he doesn't show much emotion.

And Nico has a lot of emotion, and even though he'll always be my favorite of all time, I wish he'd show a little less emotion and stay a bit more calm like Fed. But that will never happen... :lol:

DrJules
02-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Equal 6th with 8 other events outside the TMC, surely?

Have amended and stated amongst regular tournaments i.e. not 8 player special event.

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Actually you'll be shocked. :lol: I dislike grass. But I went to Wimbly in 2004, and I loved it. It's up there as one of my favorites. I loved all the tradition. And I even loved waiting in line! That was so much fun. :yeah: And I have to admit that I think that it is the most prestigious event - The Cathedral of Tennis. But they need to "tweak" it a bit...change all that grass to a beautiful red clay - red would look lovely with all the green buildings, eh? :)

:lol: I remember that! And to be honest, I've changed on that. I'm beginning to enjoy Fed's game. He's so awesome that it doesn't matter that he doesn't show much emotion.

And Nico has a lot of emotion, and even though he'll always be my favorite of all time, I wish he'd show a little less emotion and stay a bit more calm like Fed. But that will never happen... :lol:

Well you've been there one more time than me.... the rigmarole that one has to go through to get tickets is somewhat off-putting, if Slams were ranked on ease of attendance then Wimbledon would undoubtedly be last. The only thing they need to tweak about grass is to make it play more like grass, not like an organic hardcourt. :p

I'm glad you have seen the light/crossed over to the Dark Side on Federer (delete as applicable), but the acid test comes when you support an emotionless man with a fairly one-dimensional game, like the man in my avatar. ;) It's such a pity that Mellow Jiro Novak is no longer on the tour, there was a cool cat.

NicoFan
02-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Well you've been there one more time than me.... the rigmarole that one has to go through to get tickets is somewhat off-putting, if Slams were ranked on ease of attendance then Wimbledon would undoubtedly be last. The only thing they need to tweak about grass is to make it play more like grass, not like an organic hardcourt. :p

I'm glad you have seen the light/crossed over to the Dark Side on Federer (delete as applicable), but the acid test comes when you support an emotionless man with a fairly one-dimensional game, like the man in my avatar. ;) It's such a pity that Mellow Jiro Novak is no longer on the tour, there was a cool cat.

The line is fun - you should try it sometime! You meet people from all over the world. And get little gifts and things that they pass out. :yeah: I did it for 5 days and I'll never forget it. The only reason I don't go back is that it's too expensive to cross the pond and hotels are very expensive in London. :sad:

Hmmm...sorrrrry - can't root for your emotionless man. :shrug: I only root for South Americans, Spaniards, and Ducky. :lol:

RogiFan88
02-04-2007, 01:00 AM
NicoFan and Sjengst, I'm enjoying your little banter! :lol: I'm w Sjengst about tickets for Wimby. Altho I am dying to go this year, I don't know if I could manage the lining up overnight thing in a tent on the pavement in the rain and damp for the first time in my life to get CCt tickets to see that -- how did NF put it: "emotionless, robotic player out there with no passion for their game"! I also agree w Sjengst on his point: "only thing they need to tweak about grass is to make it play more like grass, not like an organic hardcourt."

All this tweaking of surfaces makes slams on so-called different surfaces almost redundant... why bother then??

We shall see about Wimby... as for RG, too late for tickets now for 2007... maybe 2008. USO sounds like fun tho...

NicoFan
02-04-2007, 02:20 AM
NicoFan and Sjengst, I'm enjoying your little banter! :lol: I'm w Sjengst about tickets for Wimby. Altho I am dying to go this year, I don't know if I could manage the lining up overnight thing in a tent on the pavement in the rain and damp for the first time in my life to get CCt tickets to see that -- how did NF put it: "emotionless, robotic player out there with no passion for their game"! I also agree w Sjengst on his point: "only thing they need to tweak about grass is to make it play more like grass, not like an organic hardcourt."

All this tweaking of surfaces makes slams on so-called different surfaces almost redundant... why bother then??

We shall see about Wimby... as for RG, too late for tickets now for 2007... maybe 2008. USO sounds like fun tho...

Oh RogiFan - come to the USO! I love it...so great.

And really I swear - waiting in line at Wimbly is fun!!! :lol: I wouldn't lie to you and Sjengster! :lol:

When it rains - they give you a little sticker so everyone knows that you survived a rainy Wimbly day standing in line. :yeah: And you get little presents too.

And when you get in - you get to eat strawberries and creme for breakfast... :yeah:

Xristos
02-04-2007, 02:25 AM
I hope he plays! Miami is when Nike pros wear all the new summer duds.

Whistleway
02-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Miami is no longer a 5th slam and now reduced to another clown TMS. I am glad for nadal to miss this one. I wish fed does the same and play one more clay tourney.

yana
02-04-2007, 08:45 AM
rafa's calendar is a mess, most of the dates are wrong. so I think it's a mistake, and he'll play Miami too.

yana
02-04-2007, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=NicoFan;4806434]Actually you'll be shocked. :lol: I dislike grass. But I went to Wimbly in 2004, and I loved it. It's up there as one of my favorites. I loved all the tradition. And I even loved waiting in line! That was so much fun. :yeah: And I have to admit that I think that it is the most prestigious event - The Cathedral of Tennis. But they need to "tweak" it a bit...change all that grass to a beautiful red clay - red would look lovely with all the green buildings, eh? :)

great ideea.

Action Jackson
02-04-2007, 08:59 AM

Houston is the 5th Slam. Just cause you believe an amount of propaganda saying that Miami is the 5th Slam doesn't mean it's true.

Bobby
02-04-2007, 09:14 AM

It's understandable that you see it like this, since you are an american. But you have to understand that there are some people who don't share your view.

nobama
02-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Miami is no longer a 5th slam and now reduced to another clown TMS. I am glad for nadal to miss this one. I wish fed does the same and play one more clay tourney.
Since when are Masters Series events "clown" events? :retard:

NicoFan
02-04-2007, 11:57 AM
It's understandable that you see it like this, since you are an american. But you have to understand that there are some people who don't share your view.

As I said before, this isn't a nationalistic issue. Please don't make it one.

First, you know nothing about me. If you did, you would know that I am very rarely ever a flag waver. And if you had read all my posts here, you might have realized that.

Second, I don't rate tournaments based on my own preferences. Again, if you had read all my posts here, you would have realized that.

Third, I do realize people don't share my view on the issue. And I respect that. So please respect mine regarding Miami by not reducing it to nationalism.

Bobby
02-04-2007, 05:44 PM
As I said before, this isn't a nationalistic issue. Please don't make it one.

First, you know nothing about me. If you did, you would know that I am very rarely ever a flag waver. And if you had read all my posts here, you might have realized that.

Second, I don't rate tournaments based on my own preferences. Again, if you had read all my posts here, you would have realized that.

Third, I do realize people don't share my view on the issue. And I respect that. So please respect mine regarding Miami by not reducing it to nationalism.

Point taken. No harm meant!

Deboogle!.
02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Well youre American it appears, so it would be less likely for you to understnad wanting to play DC than a Euro.

DC is series ofr some players..more serious than all event other than Majors.I'm sorry, what? The US players are just as dedicated to Davis Cup as any other country's players. And the US fans support the US team just as much - maybe we're not as loud and crazy as some of the European and South American fan groups, but that doesn't mean we don't get it. :rolleyes:

Surely he's going to play - isn't Rafa managed by IMG and doesn't IMG own part or all of the Miami tournament?Yeah, that's true.

And besides that, Miami is a great surface for him. It plays similarly to the AO and has a high bounce, so one would think he would want to play there. he didn't do well there last year but he has had success in the past.

Merton
02-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I would be surprised if Nadal does not try his best at IW and Miami. It is more important to gain confidence and improve his game on hard courts. Besides, it is not as if he does not have experience of when he needs to get in pick form for tennis. Even if he stays in the US for Davis Cup he will just adjust his preparation for clay accounting for the fact that he will not be as well prepared as he would like to at Montecarlo.

RogiFan88
02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Oh RogiFan - come to the USO! I love it...so great.

And really I swear - waiting in line at Wimbly is fun!!! :lol: I wouldn't lie to you and Sjengster! :lol:

When it rains - they give you a little sticker so everyone knows that you survived a rainy Wimbly day standing in line. :yeah: And you get little presents too.

And when you get in - you get to eat strawberries and creme for breakfast... :yeah:

you and what army are really doing your darndest to get me to Wimby this year... and it's tempting... ;)

USO also sounds like a ton of fun but do I have the energy? It's been years since I've been to the Big Apple [and I loved it].

As for Rafa's own schedule -- surely it's an oversight, altho that's some oversight... the webmaster isn't too detail-oriented or up-to-date as Miami will be here before you know.