Davydenko: Will he ever win a Slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davydenko: Will he ever win a Slam?

kinglear
02-03-2007, 12:08 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/bennyhannas/nicolaydavydenko_finishesforehandco.jpg

It amazes me how much alike Nicolay Davydenko and Elena Dementieva are. They both have a clean, precise and powerful quality to their groundstrokes. Of course Davydenko serves better. The most important similarity is that they're both top players who have yet to win a Slam. I still have hope for Lena winning a Slam. If Mauresmo finally won some, then Lena can do it. I'm a huge Lena fan, so... you get the picture. And I'm a huge fan of Davydenko's game. What do you think is preventing Davydenko from winning a Slam or at least reaching a Slam final? I think Federer is one major reason. If Davy hadn't played Fed in the US Open semis, I think Davydenko would have had a better chance of defeating another player.

El Legenda
02-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Never

kinglear
02-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Never

Aww! that's sad to hear, but you may be right. What about Elena though? What do you think about her chances?

GlennMirnyi
Why not? If even Roddick can do it...

Andre'sNo1Fan
Extremely little chance, although probably a lot more than Ljubicic.

scarecrows
no one knows

TMJordan
02-03-2007, 12:12 AM
No

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Hmm.... Seen Davydenko's record against Roddick? I don't think he'd have stood a great chance had he got through to that US Open final. The problem is, there are people who vary the game better than him on hardcourt, there are people who can outlast him with greater topspin on clay, and he's no use whatsoever on grass. I also think that toiling hard to win Sopot and then flying all the way over the Atlantic to lose first round at two Masters events isn't a great way to build confidence in yourself as a top player who wins matches week in and week out at the required tournies; I know he still had a good run at the US Open, and usually does produce the goods at the Slams, but these first-round losses at other events must hinder his self-belief somewhat.

Langers
02-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Never.

El Legenda
02-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Extremely little chance, although probably a lot more than Ljubicic.

i would say much less. Ljubicic can get hot and serve crazy for in 2nd week, but both has less than 5% of a chance.

El Legenda
02-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Aww! that's sad to hear, but you may be right. What about Elena though? What do you think about her chances?

not with the serve of hers. maybe clay with all the breaks

Andre'sNo1Fan
02-03-2007, 12:20 AM
i would say much less. Ljubicic can get hot and serve crazy for in 2nd week, but both has less than 5% of a chance.
I'm judging it by the basis of each players slam performances. And at least Davydenko gets to the second week occasionally ;)

kinglear
02-03-2007, 12:22 AM
no one knows

I'd like to believe that, but Federer doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I wish Safin would get busy and stop fooling around. What exactly goes through Safin's head?

El Legenda
02-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Safin's head?

this.... :confused: :speakles:

Merton
02-03-2007, 12:25 AM
It is not impossible but he would need the draw to open up like the Red Sea did when Moses crossed.

kinglear
02-03-2007, 12:41 AM
this.... :confused: :speakles:

What's that? The devil?:rolleyes:

El Legenda
02-03-2007, 12:50 AM
What's that? The devil?:rolleyes:

:shrug:

jcempire
02-03-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm sorry, It won't even happen in the future

No way.

jcempire
02-03-2007, 01:29 AM
You said Gonzo has a chance to win a GS, I may agree with you.

But not Davydenko, obvious not. He is not the guy who looks to win a GS.

Andy Roddick is totally different guy compare to Davydenko.

He has much more left to imporve from his currently level.

kinglear
02-03-2007, 01:41 AM
he's no use whatsoever on grass. I also think that

I wonder why he's not successful on grass? Is it because he has too much top spin. Does he need to hit flatter? There's got to be a reason. :confused:

Pfloyd
02-03-2007, 01:43 AM
No.

Sjengster
02-03-2007, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=Sjengster;4801556] he's no use whatsoever on grass. I also think that QUOTE]

I wonder why he's not successful on grass? Is it because he has too much top spin. Does he need to hit flatter? There's got to be a reason. :confused:

Just no experience whatsoever on it, never grew up playing on it and the low bounce is obviously too hard for him to cope with, even though he does have a fairly low centre of gravity and compact strokes. I mean I remember him losing to British legend Lee Childs in the first round back in 2003, something like 2-6, 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, 6-2; Childs then famously said of his second-round opponent, a certain R. Nadal, that "he's probably less experienced on grass than what I am", and of course got thumped in straight sets.

Last year Davydenko lost at Wimbledon to Alejandro Falla, the man who occupied Federer for 54 minutes in the second round back in 2004 (which I think is Federer's easiest ever Slam victory). His one win on the surface was against Scott Draper back in 2005 in the first round.

MissPovaFan
02-03-2007, 01:59 AM
It amazes me how much alike Nicolay Davydenko and Elena Dementieva are. They both have a clean, precise and powerful quality to their groundstrokes. Of course Davydenko serves better. The most important similarity is that they're both top players who have yet to win a Slam. I still have hope for Lena winning a Slam. If Mauresmo finally won some, then Lena can do it. I'm a huge Lena fan, so... you get the picture. And I'm a huge fan of Davydenko's game. What do you think is preventing Davydenko from winning a Slam or at least reaching a Slam final? I think Federer is one major reason. If Davy hadn't played Fed in the US Open semis, I think Davydenko would have had a better chance of defeating another player.

Are you sure you're not ME? Dementieva and Davydenko are both my fav players too :) Slam wise though hmmm, in honesty Lena has gone backwards since her two slam finals and how can anyone beat Federer on a non-clay surface over 5 sets? I doubt it.

Federer&Hingis
02-03-2007, 04:07 AM
No.

betowiec
02-03-2007, 04:09 AM
davy is in same group of GS title pretenders as Robredo, Blake and Lube

but they are not Contenders

Action Jackson
02-03-2007, 04:11 AM
He would need to play C.Rochus, Calleri, Acasuso, Berdych for him to win a GS title.

Hendu
02-03-2007, 04:15 AM
He would need to play C.Rochus, Calleri, Acasuso, Berdych for him to win a GS title.

How can you remember all the players PMK owns? :confused:

Action Jackson
02-03-2007, 04:18 AM
How can you remember all the players PMK owns? :confused:

There are others as well, they were just the easy ones to remember.

wally1
02-03-2007, 09:12 AM
[QUOTE=kinglear;4801895]

Just no experience whatsoever on it, never grew up playing on it and the low bounce is obviously too hard for him to cope with, even though he does have a fairly low centre of gravity and compact strokes. I mean I remember him losing to British legend Lee Childs in the first round back in 2003, something like 2-6, 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, 6-2; Childs then famously said of his second-round opponent, a certain R. Nadal, that "he's probably less experienced on grass than what I am", and of course got thumped in straight sets.

Last year Davydenko lost at Wimbledon to Alejandro Falla, the man who occupied Federer for 54 minutes in the second round back in 2004 (which I think is Federer's easiest ever Slam victory). His one win on the surface was against Scott Draper back in 2005 in the first round.I remember watching his 2nd round match against Bjorkman in 2005. He was actually playing well and took the first set on a breaker before having to retire (with his wrist I seem to remember). Maybe if he managed to win at least one match again he'd get a bit of confidence.

Klaas_nalbandian
02-03-2007, 09:17 AM
It would surprise me a lot if he did

Viken01
02-03-2007, 09:56 AM
he will never win a slam, i think

Deivid23
02-03-2007, 11:11 AM
Sampras´s record is safe with him I´d say

Burrow
02-03-2007, 11:35 AM
I wouldnt put it past him.

richie21
02-03-2007, 11:45 AM
i can see him winning the FO

stebs
02-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I doubt he will ever win a slam but an AO final is not out of the question.

dorkino
02-03-2007, 01:29 PM
He can do it one day in case he finds a solution for his inconsistency and depending on other "horses'" situation in that very slam.

But to take it to the safe zone i 'd say between will and can there lies a big distance. :p

kinglear
02-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Are you sure you're not ME? Dementieva and Davydenko are both my fav players too :) Slam wise though hmmm, in honesty Lena has gone backwards since her two slam finals and how can anyone beat Federer on a non-clay surface over 5 sets? I doubt it.

lol Well, all I can say is great minds think alike. ;) And you're right about the clay thing. Nadal is the king of clay, although I have this feeling Federer is going to win the French this year, which would be a huge blow to Nadal's ego. :cool:

kinglear
02-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't think he will, but considering how he does manage to produce at the Slams it's not impossible. In any case, just the fact that a question like this was brought up at all shows how he's risen in the estimation of some people, which is nice to see and long overdue. :yeah:

If he does win one it definitely won't be Wimbledon, though. :lol:

I've been a fan for a few years now and I was always impressed with Davy's quickness. I don't care about a player's ranking because sometimes their play is so good, I'm always hopeful that they're going to rise in the rankings. Davydenko has got skills, so I wouldn't count him on, but I'll admit, the ATP is very different than the WTA. The WTA is very unpredictable, while Federer usually makes every final of every tournament he plays. That's why some people want some to take Federer down because I want other players to win. Don't get me wrong, he's not Federer's fault that he's that good. He deserves everything he wins, but still... I understand what others said about Roddick being hungrier than Davy. Because if Federer wasn't playing, I'm almost certain that Roddick would have won Wimbledon and the US Open. Roddick is one of the greats without a doubt. :) :worship:

Exodus
02-03-2007, 03:38 PM
don't think so but he might win a slam in his career

TheBoiledEgg
02-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Santoro always gets spanked by Kolya :worship: :devil:

tangerine_dream
02-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Davydenko is the top clown of the clowns who are getting a free pass into the top ten, thanks to Roger and Rafa dominating (combined ATP points: 12,234,566,544,345,678). Like Ljubicic, he doesn't perform well on the big stage. I doubt he'll ever win a slam, so he better start sucking up to all those little MM tournaments he claims nobody cares about because that's all he'll end up winning. :p

R.Federer
02-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Like Ljubicic, he doesn't perform well on the big stage.

Reaching QFs (AO) or SFs (RG, USO) in 3 out of the 4 slams is not a good performance? Whose standards are you judging him by anyway?

He will always go deep in these slams :cool: , grass is the only place his type of game is not rewarded.

Action Jackson
02-04-2007, 07:34 AM

Hahahahaha, you sure about that. His Slam record is very respectable especially compared to Ljubo, but we know you weren't being serious.

DrJules
02-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Davydenko is the top clown of the clowns who are getting a free pass into the top ten, thanks to Roger and Rafa dominating (combined ATP points: 12,234,566,544,345,678). Like Ljubicic, he doesn't perform well on the big stage. I doubt he'll ever win a slam, so he better start sucking up to all those little MM tournaments he claims nobody cares about because that's all he'll end up winning. :p

Considering that Roger and Rafa have won the last 8 grand slams between them your comment has some truth.

DeccyB123
02-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Nikolay's ranking of a 3 is as much a reflection of how much he plays as compared to how good he is. He has big success in smaller tournaments with weaker fields (meaning no Federer ;) ) and does tend to go deep into most slams without ever converting a win...

I would like to see it but not sure if it will ever happen... A bit of luck is what he needs, like a Federer injury or early exit... As long as he consistently goes deep into slams one day he could get the break through...

Voo de Mar
02-04-2007, 08:14 AM
I think he has a good chance at Roland Garros but I hope not 'cause he along with Ferrero is my least fave player :D

AceMaan
02-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Dementieva will start winning slams once sge gets her service in place!.......

jazar
02-04-2007, 08:52 AM
davydenko is solid rather than spectacular and he doesnt show slam winning form often enough. and the only player in the current top 10 never to have beaten him in gonzalez, so it shows he has a poor record against the top players

LK_22
02-04-2007, 09:25 AM
He's certainly capable but we are in the Federer era now :bowdown:
Many top players haven't won Grand Slams thanks to the Pete/Fed effect e.g Henman! :o

Experimentee
02-05-2007, 02:55 AM
I dont see it. Maybe his best chance would be at the French, but I doubt it.

Bad Religion
02-05-2007, 04:27 AM

Hopefully

General Suburbia
02-05-2007, 04:52 AM
Reaching QFs (AO) or SFs (RG, USO) in 3 out of the 4 slams is not a good performance? Whose standards are you judging him by anyway?
A funny question, seeing as how no one actually ever puts him in a big stage in the grand slams. Remember last AO, where he never played center court til the semi's, where he lost against haas?

MariaV
02-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I hope he won't.
Btw Tarpi said that Kolya's aim for this year is to get to the No. 2 position. :tape: :ignore:

A_Skywalker
02-05-2007, 09:55 AM

does tha means never :) ?

Really , I hope she can better it .

Davydenko , I hope he can someday win it , cause I want him to .

Seneca
02-05-2007, 11:14 AM
It is not impossible but he would need the draw to open up like the Red Sea did when Moses crossed.
Even though Davy seems more comfortable in his top-3 role these days I see very little potential in him to manage a Grand Slam victory. He'll have to punch through too heavy competition and eventually Federer in the later stages of a slam.

Of course, his steadiness leaves open the possibility of taking the Thomas 'Moses' Johansson route and beating a couple of journeymen to get to the final where he'll demolish a hangover-incapacitated Berdych.

Jevel
02-05-2007, 12:38 PM
With Roger around, i don't see it happening. If Roger was upset early in GS, then possibly.

Apemant
02-05-2007, 02:11 PM
With Roger around, i don't see it happening. If Roger was upset early in GS, then possibly.

Heh, this holds true for anyone, not just Davy. :devil:

tangerine_dream
02-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Remember last AO, where he never played center court til the semi's, where he lost against haas?
I hope they make him play in the graveyard at Wimbledon all week long.

Jimnik
02-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Him and Elena to win Wimbledon this year. :smoke:

Just Cause
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Yes, with his style of playing, it wont be a surprise to me that he whips Federer on clay this year.

Mateya
04-25-2007, 07:28 PM
He should start beating players like Delic (Miami) and Soderling (Monte Carlo) for a start. :haha:

Eh, I give Kolya chance for SF, maybe F, when he is at his best. :cool:
If Fed and Nadal woudnt be around, then he would probably already won it...

jazar
04-25-2007, 07:40 PM
no, he lacks that certain something, like variation. all his opponents need to do is make him volley and he losses

WatchOut
04-25-2007, 07:52 PM
If there would be no Federer or even no Nadal on the mens tour, he would have a great chance.He keeps getting good GS results, but can't get further than semis...His game is good enough to beat not seeded players and some top-seeded players, I'm really impressed with the way he can play :D But he will have to beat Federer or Nadal to get a GS.

Jimnik
04-25-2007, 09:29 PM
As good a chance as anyone outside the Fed-Nadal circle.

The real question is: Will anyone other than Federer or Nadal win a slam anytime soon?

Svetlana.
04-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Him and Elena to win Wimbledon this year. :smoke:

Perfect mix doubles combination ;)

Svetlana.
04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
As good a chance as anyone outside the Fed-Nadal circle.

The real question is: Will anyone other than Federer or Nadal win a slam anytime soon?

not this year...and no chance next ... :devil:

Champion number 1
04-25-2007, 09:40 PM
No he wont.

leng jai
04-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Its not a huge call to say no when theres basically two players consistently winning every slam in the year.

sunsfuns
04-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I can't see it happening...

There are at least half a dozen players with a much better shot (not counting Fed and Rafa)

ReturnWinner
04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
hopefully never but knowing how lucky russian players are... who knows

ReturnWinner
04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
but his chances are very slim for sure

Alexandy
04-25-2007, 10:53 PM
If he gets into one of those zones during the tournament (like Paris last year) where his timing is perfect, hitting tons of winners, and he's beating everyone easily...then I think he could do it. I really want and hope that he can. :) Kolya's my favorite.

shotgun
04-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Who knows, but I can name a few more talented active players than him who haven't won one either, so he shouldn't really feel disappointed if he doesn't.

Svetlana.
04-25-2007, 10:55 PM
hopefully never but knowing how lucky russian players are... who knows

why never?

He deserves to win like any other athlete that works very hard to be on the top.

Svetlana.
04-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I can't see it happening...

There are at least half a dozen players with a much better shot (not counting Fed and Rafa)

Kolya has all potentials, but seem to be not enough confidence to believe to the very end.

He should try to work with another coach for the change.

leng jai
04-25-2007, 11:27 PM
What potential? As far as I can see he has maximized his potential already.

sunsfuns
04-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Kolya has all potentials, but seem to be not enough confidence to believe to the very end.

He should try to work with another coach for the change.

I don't think he is a Slam material. Just look at his head to head record versus other top 10 players...
I think Kolya is an overachiever who has already gotten as much as possible out of his rather limited game.

Lucinda
04-26-2007, 12:09 AM
He's just not good enough. There would have to be some conveniently-timed injuries amongst the top players for Davy to win a Slam.

Havok
04-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Never. Ever. To both.

Just Cause
04-26-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't think he is a Slam material. Just look at his head to head record versus other top 10 players...
I think Kolya is an overachiever who has already gotten as much as possible out of his rather limited game.
BULL CRAP, Federer dont beat nobody until he won Wimbledon, and even then he was Nalbandian's bitch until Nalbadian got hurt and Nadal was too young.

Ays25
04-26-2007, 12:49 AM
niet

thrust
04-26-2007, 01:13 AM
No. As hard as he tries, he just isn^t strong enough to win a Slam. He is very admirable as he gives his all, but just dosn^t have the overall talent. He is the opposite of Safin. If Marat had David^s drive, he would be very hard to beat.

Kolya
04-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Sadly, Kolya will be remembered as a good player when he retires. Thats it.

Unless he gets a new coach, learns to volley and use a slice for variation to give him some chance of winning a GS.

Kolya is just a ball machine, it won't get him to No. 2.

Medina
04-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Davydenko: NEVER NEVER NEVER

Demetieva: She will win the french open