Can anyone tell me why Blake be there? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can anyone tell me why Blake be there?

jcempire
02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
He is not support to play that kind of Tournament.

He won't add any more point by win those Tournament.

Why? Can't believe that

Why he don't save the time and energy, Go to get a big title such as TM

GlennMirnyi
02-02-2007, 11:56 PM
That's because he's gettin' a lot of money.

Second, he knows he can't win a big title, so... what better than quantity when you can't have quality? :p

Horatio Caine
02-02-2007, 11:56 PM
By way of a serious point, if he can win these titles, at least he has a nice cushion of optionals points. ;)

TMJordan
02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
He is not Roger Federer

jcempire
02-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey, my friends

Go back to last year. You better to understand How many points be waste by win those kind of Tournaments.

jcempire
02-03-2007, 12:02 AM
He is not Roger Federer

Of course He is not Roger. Only one Roger.

But, you got to know He is 27, not 18 or 19

He can only have best performance in 7 or 8 tournament, not 15 or 17

TMJordan
02-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Of course He is not Roger. Only one Roger.

But, you got to know He is 27, not 18 or 19

He can only have best performance in 7 or 8 tournament, not 15 or 17

He will probaly withdrawl from Memphis later on too be ready for Indian Wells and Miami.

Merton
02-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Appearance fees could be a good motivation even though I don't know how much money these small tournaments give. Another reason is that he is a streaky player with a low margin for error, and he didn't go deep in the AO so no reason to worry about overplaying.

Deboogle!.
02-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Appearance fees could be a good motivation even though I don't know how much money these small tournaments give. Another reason is that he is a streaky player with a low margin for error, and he didn't go deep in the AO so no reason to worry about overplaying.I doubt Delray pays more than $150,000 at most. Probably less. He's playing Delray, Davis Cup, San Jose, Memphis, Vegas, IW, Miami.... etc. theoretically he has no weeks off until after Houston. That's just plain ridiculous, regardless of appearance fee. He has enough sponsorships now that he doesn't need it, he can't put on any points, etc. Big WTF for me as to why he is playing Delray. But, his choice.

cobalt60
02-03-2007, 01:40 AM
Are we sure he will show up for all of those?

ezekiel
02-03-2007, 01:42 AM
he lives in florida , duh :p

Deboogle!.
02-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Are we sure he will show up for all of those?no, and for his sake I hope he doesn't, but I've never pegged James the type to enter everything and then pick and choose what to play - well, most players aren't, but most players are not, quite frankly, dumb enough to even contemplate playing this many weeks in a row. Plus, at the end of last season he said he was going to plan his schedule better, and he quite obviously did not do that. :shrug:he lives in florida , duh :pSo do other players who didn't play. And there are players who used to play Delray when it was in March who don't play anymore because they don't like to play the week after a slam.

Merton
02-03-2007, 01:57 AM
I doubt Delray pays more than $150,000 at most. Probably less. He's playing Delray, Davis Cup, San Jose, Memphis, Vegas, IW, Miami.... etc. theoretically he has no weeks off until after Houston. That's just plain ridiculous, regardless of appearance fee. He has enough sponsorships now that he doesn't need it, he can't put on any points, etc. Big WTF for me as to why he is playing Delray. But, his choice.

I agree, but I don't expect him to go deep into all these tournaments. It seems he just tries to follow what he did last year, possibly he will take a break after Miami. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
02-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Well he's a top 5-10 player, even if we don't expect him to go deep in them all, he should expect himself to. he even promised the San Jose tournament that he would play doubles with Mardy. That's why it's perplexing, most especially because of what he said about planning his schedule better

The week after Miami is Davis Cup, so he better not be planning to take a week off then ;)

Merton
02-03-2007, 02:23 AM
Well he's a top 5-10 player, even if we don't expect him to go deep in them all, he should expect himself to.

True, but realistically his style of play will result in at least an early round loss when he simply misfires.

he even promised the San Jose tournament that he would play doubles with Mardy. That's why it's perplexing, most especially because of what he said about planning his schedule better

Doubles is just a substitution for practice, I doubt he will add too much court time overall. :)

The week after Miami is Davis Cup, so he better not be planning to take a week off then ;)

You got me there, I totally forgot about DC, probably because I cheer for the Czechs in the 1st round. (I just would like to see a particular Czech boosting his confidence with 2 wins over top-10 players :hug: ) If the US goes through James will need to play, especially if Spain turns out to be the next round opponent. :)

jcempire
02-03-2007, 02:42 AM
no, and for his sake I hope he doesn't, but I've never pegged James the type to enter everything and then pick and choose what to play - well, most players aren't, but most players are not, quite frankly, dumb enough to even contemplate playing this many weeks in a row. Plus, at the end of last season he said he was going to plan his schedule better, and he quite obviously did not do that. :shrug:So do other players who didn't play. And there are players who used to play Delray when it was in March who don't play anymore because they don't like to play the week after a slam.

I totally agree with you.

He got to focus on TM and GS, Don't waste time to play any match what he not support to play. That always make him to pay.

Lee
02-03-2007, 03:49 AM
True, but realistically his style of play will result in at least an early round loss when he simply misfires.

Not so sure. His climbs in ranking mainly because he makes better choice in selecting the time to unload, thus, less misfires.

Allez
02-03-2007, 07:17 AM
He shouldn't be playing there, especially straight after a GS. It's ridiculous planning on his part :rolleyes:

my0118
02-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Like Davydenko's saying, Blake cares the tournaments that everybody doesn't care and doesn't care the tournaments that everybody cares.

nobama
02-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Like Davydenko's saying, Blake cares the tournaments that everybody doesn't care and doesn't care the tournaments that everybody cares.:confused:

MrJ
02-03-2007, 02:37 PM
:confused:

your not the only one ;)

Deboogle!.
02-03-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't think that's true, but planning so many weeks in a row made up mostly of small tournaments does make one wonder :scratch:

my0118
02-03-2007, 03:04 PM
:confused:

oops Sorry.
I mean it seems Blake cares many small tournaments more than big tournaments like Masters series and Grandslams..

croat123
02-03-2007, 03:44 PM
1) he knows he's a huge favorite to win
2) he avoids stronger events whenever possible
3) he relies so heavily on confidence and wins against challenger level players really pump him up :o

MrJ
02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
3) he relies so heavily on confidence and wins against challenger level players really pump him up :o

Is that why apart from Federer he had the most wins against top 10 players last season. :)

nobama
02-03-2007, 09:42 PM
oops Sorry.
I mean it seems Blake cares many small tournaments more than big tournaments like Masters series and Grandslams..
Where's the proof in that statement? Yes he's won more MM tournaments but that doesn't mean he cares about them more than MS or GS. :rolleyes: Last year in IW he lost in the final to Fed, in Miami he lost to Fed, at the US Open he lost to Fed.

Johnny Groove
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
oh please. Do you know how much pussy :aplot: Blake can get down here? :devil:

and the Miami nightlife just a little ways down 95, and the Super Bowl festivites.

Why not?

scarecrows
02-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Blake can get :aplot: everywhere IMO

my0118
02-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Where's the proof in that statement? Yes he's won more MM tournaments but that doesn't mean he cares about them more than MS or GS. :rolleyes: Last year in IW he lost in the final to Fed, in Miami he lost to Fed, at the US Open he lost to Fed.

Yes I know. So I said 'it seems'.
Blake has much better results in MM tournaments than MS or GS compared to other players, that's why I said 'it seems'.

nobama
02-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes I know. So I said 'it seems'.
Blake has much better results in MM tournaments than MS or GS compared to other players, that's why I said 'it seems'.Just because his results are better doesn't mean he cares more about those events. It's just that most of the time he's not having to beat the absolute best so they're easier to win.

Loremaster
02-04-2007, 11:19 AM

And this is said by Ivan Ljubicic fan you know that all you points aplly to Ivan Ljubicic as well :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
02-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Just because his results are better doesn't mean he cares more about those events. It's just that most of the time he's not having to beat the absolute best so they're easier to win.Add that to the fact that he has trouble mentally stepping up at the big events in the big moments a lot of the time and you have your answer.

However, it still doesn't explain why he's playing this particular tournament. IMO he would have been much better off training on clay at Saddlebrook. The rest of the US team got to Ostrava today and James is still playing in Florida on hardcourt. :shrug:

RickDaStick
02-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Add that to the fact that he has trouble mentally stepping up at the big events in the big moments a lot of the time and you have your answer.

However, it still doesn't explain why he's playing this particular tournament. IMO he would have been much better off training on clay at Saddlebrook. The rest of the US team got to Ostrava today and James is still playing in Florida on hardcourt. :shrug:

Money is the most important thing for these guys. Much more important then say Davis cup. Sure James has a lot of endorsments and money but everyone wants more. It doesnt make much sense for him to play Delray on a hardcourt then davis cup on clay in less then a week. But when he recieves that $150,000 appearance fee, it will all make sense to him.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Money is the most important thing for these guys. Much more important then say Davis cup. Sure James has a lot of endorsments and money but everyone wants more. It doesnt make much sense for him to play Delray on a hardcourt then davis cup on clay in less then a week. But when he recieves that $150,000 appearance fee, it will all make sense to him.That's not true for all these players at all. You are making gross and unfounded generalizations. Ask a lot of these players which they'd rather have, a successful Davis Cup team or $150,000 and I bet a vast majority of them would take the former over the latter.

And I guessed that $150,000 was the highest it might possibly be. If I had to guess, he didn't even get that much.

Merton
02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
I doubt it is about the money, sure appearence fees provide incentives but I think that James just likes playing in these tournaments and still thinks that he has enough time to adjust on clay. It is reasonable (from his point of view) to think that some additional days of preparation on clay would increase his chances only marginally relative to where he will be after playing this week.

R.Federer
02-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I didn't understand the dismay associated with Blake's playing there. There is enough time and other tournaments to prepare for the clay season.

It's an IST isn't it? Doesn't it give as many points as San Jose etc? What is the problem with playing Delray Beach? Maybe he didn't know who was signing up to play when he did.

Maybe he has emotional stock there. Federer used to play Gstaad as a gesture for their giving him wildcards when he wasn't Federer but just an up and comer. That was clay, and came after the clay season was over, and he had just played on grass.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I didn't understand the dismay associated with Blake's playing there. There is enough time and other tournaments to prepare for the clay season.

It's an IST isn't it? Doesn't it give as many points as San Jose etc? What is the problem with playing Delray Beach? Maybe he didn't know who was signing up to play when he did.

Maybe he has emotional stock there. Federer used to play Gstaad as a gesture for their giving him wildcards when he wasn't Federer but just an up and comer. That was clay, and came after the clay season was over, and he had just played on grass.James has no emotional stock in Delray that I'm aware of. San Jose treats the players very well, they like it there, many of the US guys have played since the beginning of their careers, my guess is that James has more emotional stock in San Jose than Delray. The reason people are picking on Delray is because it's the week after a slam, where most of the top guys take off, recover from the energy they spent trying to do well in the slam, and preparing for Davis Cup the following week.

This isn't about preparing for the clay season, it's planning to play something outlandish like 10 weeks in a row and the fact that he can't even get any points if he wins the title today.

scoobs
02-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Seems like a totally bizarre decision by James, to me - I would have thought practice on clay with Andy and whoever and then heading out to Ostrava together would have made more sense.

But maybe, since he didn't go that deep at Melbourne, he feels like it would be too long a gap without match play - it would be 2.5 - 3 weeks without a competitive match for him if he didn't play this week - losing in R4 is early is Sunday or Monday of last week, then not playing this week, then the first match is at the end of next week...

Could have been concerned that he needs match sharpness, regardless of the surface? :shrug:

Deboogle!.
02-04-2007, 07:29 PM
But maybe, since he didn't go that deep at Melbourne, he feels like it would be too long a gap without match play - it would be 2.5 - 3 weeks without a competitive match for him if he didn't play this week - losing in R4 is early is Sunday or Monday of last week, then not playing this week, then the first match is at the end of next week...

Could have been concerned that he needs match sharpness, regardless of the surface? :shrug:maybe, that would at least make sense as a viable explanation; but I think he's had enough matches this year to make it not matter - plus in this case for James I think the practice on clay would be more beneficial, he can play practice matches with Andy and Mardy and whoever else is with them and it can be almost as good as a competitive match (especially since the matches he's getting in Delray are on a different surface entirely especially in terms of James and his mentality).

But then, why enter San Jose, Memphis, AND Vegas? Even if you like all the tournaments, you gotta be a little selfish and tell someone "sorry, but not this year"

R.Federer
02-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Points are not as important to all players at all times.

If they were so, why would anyone be playing DC? Why do people go to the Olympics only weeks before USO? Each of these on surfaces often contrary to what's coming up in the season.

Matchplay, goodwill, appearance fees, patriotism to a country or a tournament, recognition for winning a title, these are also important to many/most players.

Deboogle!.
02-04-2007, 08:53 PM
But as I said, as far as I know, James has no sentimental connections to Delray (which is evidenced by the fact that he has only played there in 2004 and 2005 before this year...so....). So all of those things don't apply here. Delray is not something special like DC or the Olympics, so you can't compare them either.

I don't know many top players who are willing to risk their fitness for appearance fees. I'm sure Andy was offered a lot of money to play Delray, he used to play there until it was moved to the week after the AO, and he arguably has a much bigger sentimental feeling towards that tournament than James does, but he told the tournament something to the effect of "sorry, I can't play the week after the AO, especially not when Davis Cup is right around the corner." Roger surely turned down much more than James got to play Delray when he decided it wasn't in his best interests to play Doha anymore, and the list goes on. The top players have the bigger picture in sight, and I think James planned this really really poorly :shrug:

And now, playing there might end up really costing him and the US for Davis Cup, because of the weather, the final may not be finished until tomorrow and James might not get to Ostrava until Tuesday. Really bad preparation especially considering how much practice he needs on clay. I really think if you ask James he would much rather have a chance to win Davis Cup than a MM like Delray Beach, but by playing Delray Beach, he has potentially seriously put the other in doubt. I think it's too bad and not that smart. You can disagree, that's cool. :)

Johnny Groove
02-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Ive already told u guys why hes playing :)

scoobs
02-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Ive already told u guys why hes playing :)
James has never struck me as that much of a honey-lovin' bootie-hound.

Johnny Groove
02-05-2007, 12:22 AM
James has never struck me as that much of a honey-lovin' bootie-hound.

ok, but does that mean he doesnt enjoy the south florida nightlife?

Deboogle!.
02-05-2007, 01:12 AM
ok, but does that mean he doesnt enjoy the south florida nightlife?James also doesn't strike me as the type who'd go down to Miami during a tournament to enjoy nightlife ;)