More Biased Headlines at ESPN.com [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

More Biased Headlines at ESPN.com

tangerine_dream
03-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Check out the very different headlines at ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/index

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE
Ho Hum
Another tournament, another title for top-ranked Justin Henin-Hardenne. The diminutive Belgian breezed by two-time champ Lindsay Davenport 6-1, 6-4 early Sunday at the Pacific Life Open to cruise to her fourth championship of the year.

ROGER FEDERER
Fierce Force
Fresh off winning the Pacific Life Open, Roger Federer heads into the Nasdaq-100 this week with a large lead over the rest of the field. It's time for the other players to step up if they intend to catch Federer, Mal Washington writes.

====

How come JHH's win is "ho hum" but Roger's is spectacular? Your thoughts?

Sjengster
03-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Let's wait till Federer plays Roddick in the RG semis and beats him using "dirty tactics", then we'll see opinion shift... the fact that one has committed to Miami and the other hasn't might have something to do with it. And that one beat an American in the final and the other didn't, although I gather that Henin's performance in the final was every bit as good as Federer's.

Chloe le Bopper
03-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Dominant men are spectacular. Dominant women are boring and intimidating. Unless you're Pete Sampras. Then you're just boring ;)

Mojo
03-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Davenport -- although I want Davenport to win against Henin or against anybody else -- she just doesn't produce spectacular tennis. If the match was between Henin and Capriati or Clijster and Capriati -- it would have been a far more exciting match -- Davenport is dull; I love her, and want her to win, but she just kaplunks around the court.

Tennis Fool
03-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Mal has a new column! Thx Tan!

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 01:54 AM
Dominant men are spectacular. Dominant women are boring and intimidating. Unless you're Pete Sampras. Then you're just boring ;)

I smell "double standard"....

Leo
03-24-2004, 01:58 AM
I smell "double standard"....

Nah. Men's tennis is more exciting than women's. It's not a double standard, it's just the truth.

Havok
03-24-2004, 02:01 AM
Federer beat big-time players. Justine :shrug: beating Lindsay is meh nowadays, she can't beat the top players anymore :sad:

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2004, 02:02 AM
There is a double standard, though.

Generally, when there is a dominant female player, the media bitches about how "boring" it is - at least recently that has been the trend. I can't say that has always been the case, since I'm a relatively new tennis fan.

I don't see dominant men getting as much flack. I suppose that people did call Pete "boring", but he was pretty well represented in the media, wasn't he?

I may very well be wrong here. But to me, that is the only really obvious difference between what Henin and Federer have been doing this year.

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2004, 02:03 AM
Federer beat big-time players. Justine :shrug: beating Lindsay is meh nowadays, she can't beat the top players anymore :sad:
Justine has beaten everybody that there is to best in the past year, except for Venus... who she also hasn't played in the past year.

I know that it's hard for you to give credit to Justine and all, but come on :p

Havok
03-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Justine has beaten everybody that there is to best in the past year, except for Venus... who she also hasn't played in the past year.

I know that it's hard for you to give credit to Justine and all, but come on :p
I was talking about THIS year. Yay.:p

Havok
03-24-2004, 02:04 AM
oh and she played Venus at AO last year, and got crushed :o

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 02:05 AM
Nah. Men's tennis is more exciting than women's. It's not a double standard, it's just the truth.

Why, of course you'd say that, Leo, for obvious reasons.

I will have you know that Justine has been THE most dominant woman on the tour in the past year-much like Federer, but she is called "boring", and he is called "brilliant". Why is that? Men's tennis being more "exciting" is not sufficient. We've already had a discussion on the state of men's tennis on a thread back during AO time, so "exciting"? Ummmm....no.....

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2004, 02:06 AM
oh and she played Venus at AO last year, and got crushed :o
Thanks. I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said, seeing as "in the past year" would not include last years Australian Open... but thanks for the useless trivia which I already knew anyways.

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2004, 02:08 AM
I was talking about THIS year. Yay.:p
She's beaten all of the best players who were put in front of her this year. Somebody had to wim, and Justine decided that she was going to be that somebody. She's beaten all of the players put in front of her this year. It's not her fault that Lindsay, Kim, and Myskina aren't good enough to beat her right now.

Nobody is harping on the fact that Ferrero is a cripple with chicken pox, or that Andre is old, or that Andy has back problems, etc. Why? Because it's irrelevant. Just like circumstances surrounding Justine this year are.

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2004, 02:09 AM
Yay to random bolding

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 02:19 AM
Rebecca, thank you, thank you, thank you.
I don't understand why people want to argue such useless points, since such can be applied to Federer as well.
Sorry, but Justine IS the dominant woman. Kimmy can't win a slam to save her life or my life; Venus is struggling to find her form now that she is back on tour; Serena has not played a match in over six months; and the others ranked in the top 10 or just outside it haven't gotten their games together to challenge her yet. Same with Federer.
So, what's the difference? Oh, she's a woman at the top of her sport, and people cannot accept it. It's a double standard any way you argue it....

LCeh
03-24-2004, 02:22 AM
I don't know much about Women's tennis, but I guess I will give a guess.

From what I have noticed (which is very limited), Women's tennis had always had a dominant player, like Venus, Serena, Graf, and now there is Justine. I guess it's just that women's tennis does not have enough competition from other players. I mean, you can most likely guess who will enter the semi-finals at an event, and usually they never seem to face much trouble until the later rounds.

From Men's tennis, you usually get a lot more upsets, and thus it is more appreciated when one player can constantly beat all these differnet players with differnet talent.

I might be totally off, but that is what I think.

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 02:26 AM
maybe, LCeh, but with the way Roger is dominating, if that ends up being the story of the men's game this year, then Roger will be hailed as the best thing since sliced bread. And Justine will be "that bitch"....

LCeh
03-24-2004, 02:30 AM
Well, I am pretty sure not that many people like to see Roger totally dominate tennis other than his fans. I mean, I am sure people will start to dislike him as he dominates. I remember someone in another thread said "God I hope he losses in 2nd round" after Roger won IW.

WyveN
03-24-2004, 02:31 AM
In Women's tennis everything is a bit linear. If there is a lone woman on top it is just TO predictable.
In men's tennis even if one person is dominating there are a lot of interesting little rivalries right throughout the top 100.
And of course no one man has ever dominated all 3 major surfaces

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 02:33 AM
Like they did Pistol Pete? At least they wouldn't see Roger's dominance the way they would Justine's...

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Interesting ideas, WyveN and LCeh. I'm sure that the answer contains elements of both.

J. Corwin
03-24-2004, 02:53 AM
Good points.

vene
03-24-2004, 03:44 AM
I personally have always preferred men's tennis- just seemed more interesting, but I did love to watch Hingis play. I don't think any of the women are playing well right now. Even when JHH wins some of the games are pretty bad, she gets constantly broken, plays awful sometimes, but her opponent plays worse. Women's tennis needs help!

Lee
03-24-2004, 04:52 AM
With Justine vs Lindsay, people will think how many games will Lindsay win, not whether Lindsay will win.

With Federer vs Henman, people may still guess whether Federer will win.

This may change if Roger continues in his dominance in men's tennis.

LCeh
03-24-2004, 05:04 AM
Well, I am pretty sure not that many people like to see Roger totally dominate tennis other than his fans. I mean, I am sure people will start to dislike him as he dominates.

More example (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=460992#post460992)

;)

yanchr
03-24-2004, 06:28 AM
Sorry, but anyone else thinks that Justine is not much like a woman? She is too strong to be...IMO (not the way Williams are). That's part of the reason why I can't get myself take to her and her dominance though her tennis is good.

CooCooCachoo
03-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Dominant men are spectacular. Dominant women are boring and intimidating. Unless you're Pete Sampras. Then you're just boring

I always thought that dominant women were considered frightening ;) And why did you lose your royal title? ;)

J. Corwin
03-24-2004, 08:16 AM
That was explained by herself in another thread. ;)

Space Cowgirl
03-24-2004, 12:03 PM
I don't know much about Women's tennis, but I guess I will give a guess.

From what I have noticed (which is very limited), Women's tennis had always had a dominant player, like Venus, Serena, Graf, and now there is Justine. I guess it's just that women's tennis does not have enough competition from other players. I mean, you can most likely guess who will enter the semi-finals at an event, and usually they never seem to face much trouble until the later rounds.

From Men's tennis, you usually get a lot more upsets, and thus it is more appreciated when one player can constantly beat all these differnet players with differnet talent.

I might be totally off, but that is what I think.

You are right on the money here, LCeh. To me, women's tennis is boring because for the last X years, it has been totally dominated by one or two players. 1980s: Navaratilova/Evert, 1990s: Graf, early 2000s: the Williams sisters, now: Henin/Clijsters. In some tournaments, you might as well put Henin straight into the final, save her the hassle of having to beat all her opponents 6-0 6-0 in each round ;)
With the men at least you know that there will be some shocks along the way, even if Federer does seem to be dominating at the moment.