Maybe it's because I'm a Hamburger [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Maybe it's because I'm a Hamburger

Sjengster
03-23-2004, 08:47 PM
An adaptation of the popular ditty "Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner", this should be sung in the crowds to get the atmosphere up and running before the start of each match. It's no worse an idea than grouping kids into factions to support a particular player, complete with banners, like they did last year.

joeb_uk
03-23-2004, 08:50 PM
lol, does hamburger have the same meaning there in germany too?

Sjengster
03-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Well, rather like Frankfurter or Berliner, its real use is to refer to an inhabitant of Hamburg. How did they come up with hamburger to refer to the fast food, anyway? Did the meat come from that region?

Neely
03-24-2004, 02:28 AM
Did the meat come from that region?
the only thing I know about this is that German emigrants to the USA brought the word "Hamburger Steak" to America. Maybe later, somehow someone got the idea to put the meet between two pieces of bread and the fast-food "Hamburger" developped.
But the thesaurus says that the origin of "Hamburger" is not proven and that therer are many different stories about that.

Sjengster
03-24-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks Neely, I never knew that. It's like JFK infamous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech, which I always understood literally translated as "I am a doughnut", or something to that effect. But then I'm guessing the people knew what he was actually saying...

KarstenBraasch#1
03-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks Neely, I never knew that. It's like JFK infamous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech, which I always understood literally translated as "I am a doughnut", or something to that effect. But then I'm guessing the people knew what he was actually saying...
They knew. ;)

And Hamburgers don't sing. ;)

star
04-13-2004, 12:09 AM
Frikadellen, sold in schnell imbissen in Hamburg, are similar to hamburgers only without the bun and you know..... way different but it is ground meat. This is the precurser of the "hamburger" to my understanding.

Also.... my god the two words are NOT pronouced the same. Hamburg and hamburger are not pronounced with the same "a" or "r" or "u" for that matter. It used to make me nutty listening to Pam Shriver with her very flat accent say "Hamburg."

Anyway, the cry of Hamburg is "Hummel Hummel!" I don't think they need a better cheer in the Hansastadt.

stephB
04-15-2004, 05:47 PM
isnt it hansEstadt not hansAstadt? :)