Roger enjoys the dirty job... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger enjoys the dirty job...

LCeh
03-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Roger Federer is about as down to earth as an athlete could be. He's also enjoying life at the top of his sport.

The top-ranked Federer made quick work of nemesis Tim Henman, needing only an hour and five minutes Sunday to beat the Englishman 6-3, 6-3 in the Pacific Life Open championship match.

"I want to enjoy this moment while I'm No. 1 as much as I can, meet a lot of people and experience it, take it with me also for after tennis," the 22-year-old Swiss star said earlier in the week.

"I'm living a very exciting life right now. Obviously, now that I've won Slams and become No. 1 in the world, it's trying to stay where I am and reach the same emotions like I did at Wimbledon."

He wears the No. 1 mantle well.

One day during the Indian Wells tournament, Federer was scheduled for a 20-minute autograph session. He kept scribbling his name and posing for photos with fans for twice that long.

"I like signing autographs a lot because I think it's something where the players and fans get together. They see me far away (on the court), too much space in between us," Federer said.

"When they can come close to the players, I think that is a special moment for everybody. If they can take pictures, whatever, for them it's the highlight of the day. If I can give them that, I think that's a lot of satisfaction for me, too."

-----------------------------------------

Very happy to hear that. I mean, I bet for a lot of players it's hard to just stand there and sign your name over and over again.

J. Corwin
03-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Very cool for Roger.

Sjengster
03-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Although it helps that he's got a fairly concise moniker when signing repeated autographs - I can't blame Nalbandian, Srichaphan, El Aynaoui etc. for not wanting to spend ages committing their name to paper. Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo had better pray for the sake of his wrist that he never reaches the top of the game...

Deboogle!.
03-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Well, most of them have shortened autographs... at least for their own sake I would hope so ;) Andy is Andy R. and Robby Ginepri is some short unintelligible combination of his initials or something lol