Roger should skip Miami he needs to rest for clay court season [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger should skip Miami he needs to rest for clay court season

TennisAgenda
02-01-2007, 02:17 AM
I don't get the ATP TOUR. Why do they do this? They put two Masters events Indian Wells and Miami back to back. These events have absolutely no importance. Given the fact in spring they are so close to the clay court season. If Roger is smart he will skip Miami he needs to conserve his energy and get enough rest prior to the clay court season. Last year he was exhausted winning both Indian Wells and Miami. Even though both event aren't important at all. Nadal had more time losing early in Miami to train and prepare for the clay. If Roger is wise he will skip Miami. He needs time to train he only got two weeks after Miami last year. The more time he has to focus on the clay court season the better. I also suggest he play one more clay court event this year but again skip Hamburg as well. He must not overextend himself. A smaller schedule will do him good. He needs to focus on the only mission he has this year and thats to win the French Open. And playing those silly American hardcourt events should NOT be his focus. He needs to be healthy and strong and fresh. The ATP rules are too strict on the top men. Roger should just do what the Williams Sisters, Agassi, and Sampras do break the rules make his own rules and do whatever the hell he wants. Its not like the ATP TOUR can stop him or tell him what to do anyhow. When you are a superstar you call the shots not the ATP Chairman. So if I was Roger regardless of the so called ATP RULES he should skip Miami.

Horatio Caine
02-01-2007, 02:20 AM
:retard:

swisstruffles
02-01-2007, 02:20 AM
interesting comment. firstly i admire the fact that roger has remained largely injury-free for the past few years when he has been so dominant.
i reckon that yeah it could be a good idea to rest more or play more claycourt tournaments especially seeing as the claycourt season is so short already compared to other surfaces during the year.

TennisAgenda
02-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Hardcourts do a lot of damage to the knees. And what's the point of Indian Wells and Miami anyhow? I mean who cares about these two peculiar events? They are too close together and plenty top players skip one of these events anyhow. This year is ALL ABOUT THE FRENCH OPEN. If Roger is ever going to be the best ever he must win the French Open. And in order to prepare for the French Open he must not play Miami. Let the other guys play Miami while he has much more time to train for the French Open.

betowiec
02-01-2007, 02:32 AM
TennisAgenda
your post should be emailed to Roger
lol

PamV
02-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Hardcourts do a lot of damage to the knees. And what's the point of Indian Wells and Miami anyhow? I mean who cares about these two peculiar events? They are too close together and plenty top players skip one of these events anyhow. This year is ALL ABOUT THE FRENCH OPEN. If Roger is ever going to be the best ever he must win the French Open. And in order to prepare for the French Open he must not play Miami. Let the other guys play Miami while he has much more time to train for the French Open.

IW and Miami are MS events just like MC and Rome. They carry a lot of points so all the players care about them. I don't really think what happens in MC and Rome will change much for Roger regarding the French Open. Last year Roger got to the final of MC and Rome but that didn't guarantee him a win at FO. I think he needs a fair amount of clay court practice but in the end it will boil down to things like confidence and strategy and fitness.

As for the wear and tear aspect.....clay court play can be more wearing than hardcourt because the points are a lot longer with more running involved.

PamV
02-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Hardcourts do a lot of damage to the knees. ........If Roger is ever going to be the best ever he must win the French Open. And in order to prepare for the French Open he must not play Miami. Let the other guys play Miami while he has much more time to train for the French Open.

Hardcourts do damage on the knees to players who can't end points quickly.....or to those who aren't in shape to begin with. On the other hand the clay forces Roger to hit a lot of high backhands which can be wearing on the arm of a one-hander.

Don't forget that lots of people consider Sampras to be the GOAT and he never won a FO. In any case, we know Roger would like to win all 4 in one year if he can. He will do what he feels helps his chances the most.

Bagelicious
02-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Wrong forum. You should have posted this in the Federer subforum. (http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)

guga2120
02-01-2007, 02:51 AM
its not like he has alot of strenuous matches.

Johnny Groove
02-01-2007, 02:56 AM
:rolleyes: o please. Miami practically is the start of the clay season :rolleyes:

Aphex
02-01-2007, 03:00 AM
:lol: Rest. As if he's laying on a couch watching reruns of Dallas and eating cheetos when he's not playing tournaments.

Lee
02-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Miami and Indian Wells are the least strenuous AMS events. Both have 6 matches over 2 weeks. If any top players want a rest for clay season, it should be one of the back to back clay AMS. It's insane to play 12 matches over 2 weeks

GlennMirnyi
02-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Miami and Indian Wells have a big tradition.

Lee
02-01-2007, 03:11 AM
May be Miami, but I don't think Indian Wells.

Hugh Jaas
02-01-2007, 03:38 AM
I Totaly agree.

Rogi should put 100% concentration on trying to win the French open Not The pointless back to back masters.

megadeth
02-01-2007, 03:47 AM
I don't get the ATP TOUR. Why do they do this? They put two Masters events Indian Wells and Miami back to back. These events have absolutely no importance. Given the fact in spring they are so close to the clay court season. If Roger is smart he will skip Miami he needs to conserve his energy and get enough rest prior to the clay court season. Last year he was exhausted winning both Indian Wells and Miami. Even though both event aren't important at all. Nadal had more time losing early in Miami to train and prepare for the clay. If Roger is wise he will skip Miami. He needs time to train he only got two weeks after Miami last year. The more time he has to focus on the clay court season the better. I also suggest he play one more clay court event this year but again skip Hamburg as well. He must not overextend himself. A smaller schedule will do him good. He needs to focus on the only mission he has this year and thats to win the French Open. And playing those silly American hardcourt events should NOT be his focus. He needs to be healthy and strong and fresh. The ATP rules are too strict on the top men. Roger should just do what the Williams Sisters, Agassi, and Sampras do break the rules make his own rules and do whatever the hell he wants. Its not like the ATP TOUR can stop him or tell him what to do anyhow. When you are a superstar you call the shots not the ATP Chairman. So if I was Roger regardless of the so called ATP RULES he should skip Miami.

tennis agenda,

you really know nothing about the tour. these are 2 MS events and fed hasto defend 500 pts from each of those events. you an idiot?

even when he played both last year, he still got to the MC and Rome finals... duh...

Ali G
02-01-2007, 03:59 AM
both are master series events and he won both last year so he kind of has a lot of points to defend at those tournaments. plus miami is one of the few tournaments where both the men and women play, miami is now mandatory for the women to play so i'd say someone certainly cares about the event. as someone already said if he wants some rest he should do it during one of clay tournaments. besides he played and won both last year then went on to reach the final of MC, rome and RG so going on last year he can handle it.

nobama
02-01-2007, 04:02 AM
:retard: To me this is as :retard: as those who said last year he needed to go to South America in order to do well at RG. Being 3-time defending champ of IW and 2-time defending champ in Miami he will NOT be missing those events unless he's really injured.

Xristos
02-01-2007, 04:07 AM
:retard: To me this is as :retard: as those who said last year he needed to go to South America in order to do well at RG. Being 3-time defending champ of IW and 2-time defending champ in Miami he will NOT be missing those events unless he's really injured.

Agree 100%

leng jai
02-01-2007, 06:47 AM
The second and third sentence of the OP are pure genius.

jazar
02-01-2007, 06:53 AM
he does need to concentrate on RG, but IW and Miami are quite big tournaments as well, and he probably wants the 3peat. they arent particularly strenous, he has lost 6 sets in total in the tournaments over the past 2 years, and 2 of those came in a best of 5 final, which now wont happen, right?

almouchie
02-01-2007, 07:02 AM
what is clear is that in the time to come, federer has to start shortening his season.
he has been extremely lucky avoiding any serious injuries
sure the 2 TMS are back2back. that is the mistake in scheduling the 9 TMS, they are either consecutive, or u have to wait long for the final 2 of the season.
winning the french or not winning it, has more to do with rafa I think
Rafa is the one who needs to carefully plan his season & especially clay court season. he needs to stay fresh for open but at the same time, well practiced.
his fitness is the key, if he can come to RG with a few wins & rested
he has as good a chance to grab his 3rd
Federer did the biggest thing last year reaching the final.
he has to get a favorable draw this year to , so he wont be extened early in first week if he is to go all the way
should be an interesting build up

bokehlicious
02-01-2007, 07:49 AM
he has been extremely lucky avoiding any serious injuries

Smart is a more accurate adjective...

TennisGrandSlam
02-01-2007, 08:11 AM
He can play one small hardcourt tournament (w/ most lower-rank players) instead of Miami to warm up :devil:

scoobs
02-01-2007, 08:52 AM
If he needs to concentrate on RG he has plenty of time to do that AT Monte Carlo, Rome and Hamburg.

zzachtan
02-01-2007, 09:26 AM
will miami's final be best of three?

nanoman
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
If Roger is not fit enough to include IW and Miami in his schedule, he should quit tennis right now. Those 2 tournaments are probably the most relaxing back to back tourneys on the tour. 12(at most) matches in 4 weeks shouldn't be too much to asked for.
Besides, didn't Roger last year said that he was cautious not to be eliminated early, because that would've left him a whole month without any tennis. And now people want him to skip this event ?!
After Miami he will have 2 weeks off, then Monaco, another 2 weeks off before Rome, skipping/tanking Hamburg, he would've another 2 weeks off. Plenty of rest to me.

TennisGrandSlam
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
You're all wrong. Roger should skip the rest of the 2007 season so that he can be fully fit and prepared for the Golden Slam in 2008. :crazy:

Roger has many Fans in China. :devil:

silverarrows
02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
If Roger is not fit enough to include IW and Miami in his schedule, he should quit tennis right now. Those 2 tournaments are probably the most relaxing back to back tourneys on the tour. 12(at most) matches in 4 weeks shouldn't be too much to asked for.
Besides, didn't Roger last year said that he was cautious not to be eliminated early, because that would've left him a whole month without any tennis. And now people want him to skip this event ?!
After Miami he will have 2 weeks off, then Monaco, another 2 weeks off before Rome, skipping/tanking Hamburg, he would've another 2 weeks off. Plenty of rest to me.

Agreed. Well said.

adee-gee
02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
If he's tired he could always just tank again, like apparently he did against Murray :shrug:

CmonAussie
02-01-2007, 12:56 PM
#
The only AMS event that Roger really should win is Rome as this tourney has a history just below the Slams..
>>>
Of course Fed has a score to settle with Rome~ twice a finalist & lost devastatingly last year after missing a couple of forehands on matchpoints..

The other AMS events aren`t really important in my opinion!
Though it`s always nice for Roger to win TMC since the Top-8 all want it & it ends the season!!

Therefore I`ll say~~>> YES SKIP MIAMI & get more time on clay!!

meninosantos
02-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I think He cannot only concentrate in winnig the FO...Look Connors, he wanted so much to win RG that he quited half of the season to train in clay and in the end he didn't won it!

TennisGrandSlam
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I think if Roger can win both Dubai and Indian Wells titles, he should consider discard Miami. :devil:

nisha
02-01-2007, 01:44 PM
the only thing that stopped roger winning the french was nadal...i dont think his preparations lacked anywhere!

Ivanatis
02-01-2007, 02:24 PM
complete nonsense if you ask me, sorry

he's the clear favourite in Miami, will have a bye in 1st round and it's all best of 3 apart from the final

and there is one week free after Miami, and he will probably have another week before MC as he won't play Houston or Valencia (correct me if I'm wrong)

so why the hell should he not take these 100 points if looking at last year's clay court season he is the clear number 2 on clay

and RG starts more than 2 months after Miami, no way he should withdraw, not playing Hamburg again this year for example would be much more reasonable

Magus13
02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Fed already has limited his schedule. He has more than enough time to prepare for the clay court season. Sometimes playing less tennis can hurt as much as playing too often. Fed and Roche have made a good schedule and one that offers Fed a great chance of winning all the tournaments he competes in. I want him to win the French more than anyone but Fed himself has said his two goals for every year is to finish number 1 and win Wimbledon. I don't think he should become all consumed with the French at the expense of everything else. By the way, Miami is considered a prestigious tournament and is known as the "fifth major"

Hugh Jaas
02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
federer knows that the french open is the next milestone in his glorious carrier. If doesn't win RG people will just call him a knock off sampras. If i was federer i would make a usual injury excuse to avoid the US TMS and concentrate on his clay court performance.

Magus13
02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
federer knows that the french open is the next milestone in his glorious carrier. If doesn't win RG people will just call him a knock off sampras. If i was federer i would make a usual injury excuse to avoid the US TMS and concentrate on his clay court performance.

Borg was no less great for not winning the US Open, Mac, Connors and Sampras no less great for not winning the French, Lendl no less great for not winning Wimbledon. As a Fed fan I would be highly dissappointed if he skipped events to win the French. If he is the great player that we all think he is he will play his current schedule and win the French. He understands this better than anyone.

superhoops
02-01-2007, 05:12 PM
interesting comment. firstly i admire the fact that roger has remained largely injury-free for the past few years when he has been so dominant.
i reckon that yeah it could be a good idea to rest more or play more claycourt tournaments especially seeing as the claycourt season is so short already compared to other surfaces during the year.

And how many grass court tournies are there?

madmanfool
02-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Why on earth would Federer skip Miami? Miami is like the fifth grand slam. He's better of skipping Hamburg like last year to stay fresh for the French.

DrJules
02-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Inaccurate.

Both the grass court season and the indoor season (certainly if you only include carpet) are both shorter than the clay court season.

Only hard court season is longer.

alfonsojose
02-01-2007, 05:30 PM
:haha: :haha: as if ... Roger shited in his pants against Nadal in Rome. Don't blame the U.S. spring swing

superhoops
02-01-2007, 05:32 PM
If he's tired he could always just tank again, like apparently he did against Murray :shrug:

What I don't understand people saying is about how tired Federer was. The week before he only played 1 match extra and is in the prime of his fitness at 24/25. He certainly didn't look tired against murray although murray was braeathing heavily after every point.

Jimnik
02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I think Roger should skip Roland Garros to prepare for Wimbledon.

nobama
02-01-2007, 05:51 PM
What I don't understand people saying is about how tired Federer was. The week before he only played 1 match extra and is in the prime of his fitness at 24/25. He certainly didn't look tired against murray although murray was braeathing heavily after every point.
No and he never said he was tired either. Some people here did.

Kip
02-01-2007, 05:52 PM
the only thing that stopped roger winning the french was nadal...i dont think his preparations lacked anywhere!

ITA!

Roger simply has to deal with nadal's game finding
away to beat his game on clay and that's all.

His preparation is just fine. It hasn't been
a problem before and will not be one now.

He knows what he is doing. :cool:

kobulingam
02-01-2007, 06:50 PM
ITA!

Roger simply has to deal with nadal's game finding
away to beat his game on clay and that's all.

His preparation is just fine. It hasn't been
a problem before and will not be one now.

He knows what he is doing. :cool:

The way to beat Nadal is to slice serves to his backahand side (like Gonzo did). This way Roger can win his service games more easily. I hope Roger practices that serve and uses it on clay more often (like he uses it on grass).

r2473
02-01-2007, 07:52 PM
These events have absolutely no importance.

I don't understand?

NyGeL
02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Miami and Indian Wells are the least strenuous AMS events. Both have 6 matches over 2 weeks. If any top players want a rest for clay season, it should be one of the back to back clay AMS. It's insane to play 12 matches over 2 weeks

it's not 12 matches in 2 weeks... they are 12 matches in 4 weeks. It ain't that much.

Also, Miami and Indian Wells pays good $ and I'm sure Roger will get good guarantees to play there.

He is already withdrawing from the DC.

It would be more logical to say that he needs skip Rotterdam and Dubai to play Miami and Indian Wells. We all know that his Clay Season before RG will only be Montecarlo and Rome, so why would he skip Miami and IW, where he defends lot of pts and will win big amount of $?

NyGeL
02-01-2007, 08:40 PM
also if he needs to rest during Roland Garros, he can gave up first and second set, and then win the other 3.

stebs
02-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Federer should skip his career in preperation for the seniors tour.

GonzoFed
02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Federer should skip his career in preperation for the seniors tour.

Indeed. I'm a Federer fan and i never understood the concept of "Paranoic and insecure Fedtard" until i read the first post of this thread. People just need to look at the results of the last couple of years to realize that Roger's preparation and scheduling prior to the clay season has been OK. The problem until now (at least i hope so) hasn't been the surface, just one player, and it won't going to make any difference whether if he skips Miami or not in the goal of defeating Nadal on clay this year.