03-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Trying to get some tips to Andy ;) ?

tangerine_dream
03-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Justine Henin-Hardenne

Fumus
03-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Trying to get some tips to Andy ;) ?

yea, I will e-mail brad and Andy with the results.. ;)

Frooty_Bazooty
03-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Nalbandian, Hewitt and Henman

Nalbandian and Hewitt were the only ones to take a set off Rogi at the AO and Tim is the only one who's beaten Rogi his this year and this difficulty against them is mirrored in their h2hs

v Nalbandian 2-5
v Henman 2-6
v Hewitt 3-7

Fumus
03-23-2004, 07:28 PM
Nalbandian, Hewitt and Henman

Nalbandian and Hewitt were the only ones to take a set off Rogi at the AO and Tim is the only one who's beaten Rogi his this year and this difficulty against them is mirrored in their h2hs

v Nalbandian 2-5
v Henman 2-6
v Hewitt 3-7

Why is it Henman bothers him so much?

sigmagirl91
03-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Which I don't understand, Fumus, because Nalbandian and Hewitt each have winning records against Henman.

Nalbandian-Henman 4-1
Hewitt-Henman 6-0 (maybe 7-0 after Rotterdam)....

sigmagirl91
03-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Matter of fact, mine does LOL!!! If I get my diva on (watch out, Mirka) good enough, I can take Roger for myself LOL!!!!

LCeh
03-23-2004, 07:51 PM
I think that Tim's style of game takes away the rallies away from you, and because he is a good volleyer, you are forced to pass him when he comes up. This caused a lot of problems because Roger finds his rhythm in the rallies.

However, in their last meeting, Roger was forcing Tim at the baseline, where Roger is MUCH stronger than Tim, which is why I think he won that match so easily. His serve was working very well too.

Sjengster
03-23-2004, 08:01 PM
I wrote a long few paragraphs after the Rotterdam loss on why Henman troubles Federer, it's back a couple of pages in GM if you can find it. The reason why Hewitt and Nalbandian have much better records against Henman is because they're quicker and better counterpunchers than Federer will ever be - that's the nature of their playing style. Hewitt especially has Henman beaten before they even walk onto court.

sigmagirl91
03-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Sjengster, I agree with your last statement, and it seems as if Tim's body language suggests just that....

Sjengster
03-23-2004, 08:15 PM
I can't blame him though, especially after the drubbing that was the IW final back in 2002. Ironically Sunday's final might have been a little shorter, but it was still far more competitive than his first effort where I believe he didn't hold serve once in the first set and only once in the entire match. Hewitt would just love to play Henman all the time, he'd be back to no. 1 like a shot if he could.

sigmagirl91
03-23-2004, 08:25 PM
You know it...

J. Corwin
03-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Roger's own game. ;)

Fumus
03-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Roger's own game. ;)

when he plays bad he just stinks...

J. Corwin
03-23-2004, 09:03 PM

That was the point.

CmonAussie
03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Hewitt & Nadal

* Lleyton & Roger have played many close matches over the past 5-years and generally Hewitt has come out on top(mentally), hence the 7-3 record. Of course Federer is just reaching his peak & Hewitt is trying to rediscover his, so if they played tomorrow then Fedex would probably win. However form can be fickle, just look at how Roddick's golden run came to an end after USO last year, or Agassi this time last year. Anyway I'm sure Roger & Lleyton will have many more great battles over the next 7-8 years, and hopefully provide a decent rivalry that people have been waiting for.

# Nadal is an unknown factor, he's so young & fresh of the blocks without fear -->> so he can give any top player a run for their money; including Federer at his best!!

MisterQ
03-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Roger said recently that Agassi is his toughest opponent. And other than that Masters Cup final, all of their matches have been difficult.

That said, he obviously has the edge against Andre now.

azza
03-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Scott Draper!!!!!!!

WyveN
03-24-2004, 03:02 AM

he played badly against Agassi in IW I thought

lsy
03-24-2004, 03:17 AM
whose game doesn't stink when they play bad anyway?

I will say it's Andre. It's Rogi's look and attitude on court vs Andre that you can almost feel like he isn't as confident/comfortable as he will be vs others. It showed in IW, which was why Rogi looked pretty shaky in the match, and again after the win vs Andre, he's on fire as he was in Houston.

yanchr
03-24-2004, 04:59 AM
Roger's own game. ;)
I'm wondering the same: how would Roger deal with his own game...I mean when he is playing his normal game not some extremely good or bad one. I guess he would have even bigger problems than he did with Henman. Fortunately that would never happen. LOL

Iza
03-24-2004, 05:20 AM
Agassi,Henman, Hewitt and Nalbandian. Yes, Rafa Nadal might be a good idea, so would be Joachim Johansson,they're young and unpredictable and might give Roger and pain in the ass, but they're also unexperienced (comparing to Rogi).

WyveN
03-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Agassi

He has beaten Andre 3 times in a row on Andre's favourite surface, and once Federer gets confident against a opponent it gets dangerous.

Nalbandian

beaten davis 2 times in a row. See Agassi comment.

Yes, Rafa Nadal might be a good idea, so would be Joachim Johansson

Nadal is to young. Jachim's game shouldn't bother Roger.

lzhaol
03-24-2004, 12:08 PM
hmm i m surprised no one mention Ferrero...
IMO Ferrero is the younger/faster version of Agassi...
At the OZ semis...Ferrero had the upper hand whenever they engaged in rallies...
Federer got himself out of trouble by his big serve...but Ferrero's leg was injured thus no able to get in position to return properly...

¿esquímaux?
03-24-2004, 12:25 PM
hmm i m surprised no one mention Ferrero...
IMO Ferrero is the younger/faster version of Agassi...
At the OZ semis...Ferrero had the upper hand whenever they engaged in rallies...
Federer got himself out of trouble by his big serve...but Ferrero's leg was injured thus no able to get in position to return properly...

who is THAT in your avatar! http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Vass
03-24-2004, 01:35 PM
What was he's toughest match this year?

jtipson
03-24-2004, 02:25 PM
What was he's toughest match this year?

Whose toughest match? Federer's? The one he lost of course.

Sjengster
03-24-2004, 04:04 PM
He lost it in straight sets, though... I reckon his toughest match overall was at the AO against Nalbandian, who had plenty of chances to take charge in the second set but did himself in with unforced errors. I'd still say that Nalbandian playing to his best can threaten Federer the most, but part of the reason why he's been below-par in their last couple of meetings is because he now knows that Federer's playing him on a rather more even footing than in the past. When they got into baseline rallies, Big Dave was by and large the better player in every department during the match, but then Federer made sure on his own serve that there weren't very many rallies.

You can't really say that Nadal is one of the biggest threats to Federer when they haven't even played yet, same with Johansson. And as for Ferrero, it's true that he had the injury in the AO semi but I noticed that on a fast surface Federer could usually get the big hit in early on and with his flatter shots ended up bullying Ferrero from the baseline most of the time. Ferrero's also not as good or consistent a returner as the four who have troubled Federer in the past (Agassi, Hewitt, Henman, Nalbandian). I can't see a healthy Ferrero losing to Federer on clay, however.

TennisLurker
03-24-2004, 04:11 PM
I agree with Sjengster

Remember in the first set, they were 55 Nalbandian had triple break point on federer's serve, and Roger fired 4 consecutive aces.
That was amazing, but I hope Roger will not do that very often in the future or I may start disliking him like Sampras or Becker.
And in the second set David broke him twice If I recall correctly but Roger broke back.
David won the third set.
And roger won ther last one.

the cat
03-24-2004, 11:54 PM
I only see 2 legitimate threats to Roger Federer the next couple of years. Their names are Andy Roddick and Marat Safin.

Domino
03-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Federer v Roddick Head to Head 5-1 with only two going the distance, and both splitting the two.

Federer v Safin Head to Head 5-1, with Federer winning the only one going the distance.

Both don't look like legitamit threats right now, or for the future. Maybe Safin if he gets back on form.

Federer v Hewitt 3 -7, although I don't think it is going to stay one-sided, Hewitt will always be a big threat to Rogi.

Federer v Ferrero 4-3: This is more like it. Really, Ferrero's game matches up well with Federer.

Federer v Nalbandian 2-5: Except for TMCH, all of their matches were very close, and since Nalbandian matches well up against Federer's game, expect him to give Roger constant trouble.

Really, for the future I can only see Nalbandian, Hewitt, and Fererro beating Federer because they proved that they can in the past, and since their type of game matches well against him. Coria may prove to be a foe, but they have never played except in the juniors Orange Bowl final, and Federer won. Safin may pose a threat if he gets back on form, but Roddick, Ha!

Billabong
03-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I would also say Nalbandian;)!

sigmagirl91
03-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Dave, definitely. What did Roger say in the AO 2003? He played "contra" tennis. That's a heady statement, dontcha think?

the cat
03-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Domino, I think head to head records are somewhat misleading. Federer has poor head to head records agaisnt Nalbandian annd Hewitt and he beat them both on his way to the 2004 Australian Open. And Roddick did beat Federer in a TMS semifinal last year and is still improving as a player. If Safin can stay healthy I believe he will become a threat to everyone, including Federer.

vene
03-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Roddick beat Roger when he choked. Roger said that when he served for the match in the 2nd set he was shaking all over, because he knew that if he won this match, he would be #1 in the world. That's why Andy beat him. I don't see that happening again, Roger is now mentally strong.
A Safin-Federer rivalry yes, but Roddick really has to up his game, at least get beyond the QFs!

jtipson
03-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Roddick beat Roger when he choked. Roger said that when he served for the match in the 2nd set he was shaking all over, because he knew that if he won this match, he would be #1 in the world. That's why Andy beat him. I don't see that happening again, Roger is now mentally strong.
A Safin-Federer rivalry yes, but Roddick really has to up his game, at least get beyond the QFs!

I'd tread lightly here, vene, the *choke* has been already very well-discussed, and you certainly need to get your facts right if you're going to bring it up. Roger didn't get to serve for the match, and definitely not in the second set (Andy won the first).

Whilst Roger does seem mentally much stronger now, if you expect Andy to never beat him again, you're heading for a big disappointment.

Action Jackson
03-25-2004, 03:57 PM
Every day presents a new challenge and if Roger gets as arrogant as some of the fans, then he will only have one year at the top of the standings. Though I don't think Federer will be like this, and there are challenges all the time.

For once I am going to agree jtipson, the "choke" has been discussed to death. Vene he had a break in the 3rd at 1 set all and proceded to serve quite a few double faults, at least get the facts right when trying to recall a particular incident.

As much as I would like to think Roddick will never beat him again, I don't think it will happen. I still see Federer dominating as he knows how to nullify Roddick's biggest weapon and Roddick doesn't have the alternatives at the moment to consistently beat Roger, it may change, it may not.

undomiele
03-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Nalbandian (healthy), Henman, Ferrero, an older Nadal, Safin, and he´ll get knocked off by a floater here and there on clay. I predict his claycourt season won´t be as stellar as his hardcourt.

Coria, Ferrero and some of the other outstanding clay guys can definitely stomp on him on clay.

Id like to see how he would hold up to good, especially mentally-tough guys like (an inspired and fit) Cañas. That guy´s a warrior when he´s on. But I don´t know if Cañas will ever hit his peak again. :sad:

the cat
03-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Well said jtipson.

I think the clay court season will help take Federer out of his great form and make him more beatable than he currently is. One thing is for sure. There are more players who can beat Federer on clay courts than on any other surface.

LCeh
03-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Well said jtipson.

I think the clay court season will help take Federer out of his great form and make him more beatable than he currently is. One thing is for sure. There are more players who can beat Federer on clay courts than on any other surface.

I actually disagree. I think on clay it will be pretty tough for Roger, and it will be like a type of training for him, to stay in and construct points, and be more on the defensive end. I think after the clay court season it will only make him a better player if he gets far in those tournaments.

the cat
03-25-2004, 10:20 PM
That's a fair point, LC. But I still think Federer as great as he is, is more vulnerable on clay than any other surface. The upcoming clay court season is going to be very interesting.