Who would have the edge in their primes-Kafelnikov vs Federer? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who would have the edge in their primes-Kafelnikov vs Federer?

kittens25
01-31-2007, 07:34 AM
Who do you think would have the edge between Federer and Kafelnikov in their primes? Both players had a couple things like they did very well, a couple things they did fairly well, a couple things that were weak. Both benefited from luck and weakened competition, but obviously Federer much more. Their games I see matching up similarly:

Forehand-even
Backhand-big edge Kafelnikov
serve-even
Return of serve-big edge Kafelnikov
movement-even
net game-slight edge Federer
mental game-big edge Federer
passing shots-slight edge Federer
midcourt shots-even

So lets pick a neutral surface-lets say hard courts, although some would argue that favors Yevgeny as his best surface is hard court, and Federer's is grass, but it is the closest to a neutral surface, who do you think would have the edge in being favored to win more of their meetings if they had a collection, lets say 10 head to head meetings?

drf716
01-31-2007, 07:52 AM
interesting match-up for me at least.

i see kafelnikov winning.

bokehlicious
01-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Kafelnikov would smoke Roger...

disturb3d
01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Today's Gonzalez would absolutely crush Kafelnikov of 10 years past.
The quality of top 10 player has gradually but complellingly increased.
I really don't see Yevgeny getting a Federer service game to deuce.

nanoman
01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
You could've used Bernd Karbacher instead of Kafelnikov if want to make a point......

oz_boz
01-31-2007, 09:42 AM
MaliVai Washington would be due for his 5th straight Wimbledon crown if he competed against the current crop. Todd Martin, Pioline, Clement and Rusedski would dominate the hc season, while Gomez and Berasategui battle it out in the RG final with Carretero or Chang being the dark horses of the event. None of those would even have made the 2nd week of a slam during the peak era of tennis when Sampras or Agassi ruled.

Xristos
01-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Fed easy..

The Gucci one
01-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Is this a Joke? or as another famous player said "You cannot be serious"

FSRteam
01-31-2007, 09:59 AM
MaliVai Washington would be due for his 5th straight Wimbledon crown if he competed against the current crop. Todd Martin, Pioline, Clement and Rusedski would dominate the hc season, while Gomez and Berasategui battle it out in the RG final with Carretero or Chang being the dark horses of the event. None of those would even have made the 2nd week of a slam during the peak era of tennis when Sampras or Agassi ruled.

:haha:

you're right that's the only kind of answers we can give to that :retard: kitten25!!!

Apemant
01-31-2007, 10:24 AM
You could've used Bernd Karbacher instead of Kafelnikov if want to make a point......

Why Karbacher?

Kafelnikov is an easy pick... leads Federer 4-2 and that's enough to make him a hero in the eyes of those who still can't recover from Fed's 10th GS. :devil:

Apemant
01-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Let's examine Kafelnikov success against other great players:

Sampras lead him 11-2
Agassi lead him 8-4
Ivanisevic lead him 10-5
Hewitt lead him 7-1 :eek:

Which means he couldn't play either against great servers or great returners. Actually, he did win 1 AO and 1 RG, but let's see how it really looked like. In AO, he has exactly 1 win over top 10 players, namely Todd Martin #10. But the year he actually won it, he had to face #13, #33 and #21 in the last 3 rounds. When he won RG, last 3 rounds he beat known claycourt experts, namely Richard Krajicek, Pete Sampras, and Michael Stich. :haha:

Boy, those results give new meaning to cakewalk draws. :devil:

thesupreme
01-31-2007, 11:15 AM
another day, another pointless ill conceived Federer related thread...SMH

vincayou
01-31-2007, 11:21 AM
Federer is shit, we all know that now.

nanoman
01-31-2007, 11:29 AM
Why Karbacher?

Kafelnikov is an easy pick... leads Federer 4-2 and that's enough to make him a hero in the eyes of those who still can't recover from Fed's 10th GS. :devil:

Hey don't you know ? This era is so weak, Pete's era is so loaded, even a nobody from that era could've given Fed a run for his money.

DrJules
01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Who do you think would have the edge between Federer and Kafelnikov in their primes? Both players had a couple things like they did very well, a couple things they did fairly well, a couple things that were weak. Both benefited from luck and weakened competition, but obviously Federer much more. Their games I see matching up similarly:

Forehand-even big edge Federer - much more penetration
Backhand-big edge Kafelnikov agree
serve-even big edge Federer - annual ace count
Return of serve-big edge Kafelnikov big edge Federer e.g return of Roddick Serve 7 breaks in 3 sets
movement-even big edge Federer - why he is so good against power hitters and reaches their shots
net game-slight edge Federer big edge Federer - volleys Australian Open
mental game-big edge Federer agree
passing shots-slight edge Federer agree
midcourt shots-even big edge Federer - creates extreme angles

So lets pick a neutral surface-lets say hard courts, although some would argue that favors Yevgeny as his best surface is hard court, and Federer's is grass, but it is the closest to a neutral surface, who do you think would have the edge in being favored to win more of their meetings if they had a collection, lets say 10 head to head meetings?

I have added my feelings above.

paschan
01-31-2007, 02:23 PM
I dont agree really. In my opinion

Forehand-even: wrong (federer better)
serve-even: wrong (federer better)
Return of serve-big edge Kafelnikov: wrong (federer better)
movement-even: wrong (federer better)

I think Federe would have won quite easily. im not a big Federer fan by the way and I did like Kafelnikov.

neme6
01-31-2007, 04:42 PM
these 2 aren't in the same league, what a useless thread!

jazar
01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
federer would beat kafelnikov just like the same as he currently beats everyone else on the tour

PamV
01-31-2007, 07:05 PM
The whole question is silly. Most experts say Federer would dominate any of the former greats.

R.Federer
01-31-2007, 07:29 PM
The whole question is silly. Most experts say Federer would dominate any of the former greats.

Is Kafelkinov consider a "former great" ? ...