No Argentines in the top 10 after 193 weeks [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

No Argentines in the top 10 after 193 weeks

fran70
01-31-2007, 01:08 AM
After almost 3 years there are no Argentine players in the top 10. I guess that in a short period of time Nalbandian will be back on there but my observation is that the ATP did never remark how well Argentine players did it in the past and underestimated them.

I remember that some years ago Nalbandian, Coria, Gaudio, Puerta and Canas were ranked between the 7th and the 12th position.
Not to mention when Coria and Nalbandian were ranked 3rd, Gaudio 5th and Canas 8th. And Chela and Calleri ranked as high as 14th, Acasuso 20th, etc ...

If those players were from other countries the ATP would had mentioned them all the time. Take for example the cases of Ljubicic or Blake. They don´t stop remarking them as the number 3th or 4th ranked players. And now that Roddick and Blake are in the top 10 they mention them all the time.

Why do you think that Argentine tennis was underestimated by the ATP in the past years?

I would like to listen your objective opinions.

Snowwy
01-31-2007, 01:17 AM
I think you hear a lot of talk about the Argentines in the clay season :)

Several of the players you mentioned were primarily a threat on clay..but then you take Ljubicic and he should be a contender at 3 of the 4 grandslams if not all 4..of course he isnt, but he has the game to be. Roddick and Blake also should be contenders at 3.

And there is a ton of talk about Nalbandian and tehre use to be a lot of talk about Coria so Im not totally sure what youre talking about.

Sjengster
01-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Almost 3 years or 193 weeks, which is it? I would have thought the last time was some point in 2002, Nalbandian was in the Top 10 for the majority of 2003 apart from those post-Wimbledon weeks where he lost a lot of points and Coria was there of course to maintain Argentinian representation in the Top 10.

Perhaps there was a tendency to lump them into one homogeneous whole based on playing style, but I can't believe the ATP didn't take notice during Hamburg 2003 and RG 2004 - the most obvious and remarkable examples of domination by Argentina in the latter stages of a big event.

GlennMirnyi
01-31-2007, 01:23 AM
After almost 3 years there are no Argentine players in the top 10. I guess that in a short period of time Nalbandian will be back on there but my observation is that the ATP did never remark how well Argentine players did it in the past and underestimated them.

I remember that some years ago Nalbandian, Coria, Gaudio, Puerta and Canas were ranked between the 7th and the 12th position.
Not to mention when Coria and Nalbandian were ranked 3rd, Gaudio 5th and Canas 8th. And Chela and Calleri ranked as high as 14th, Acasuso 20th, etc ...

If those players were from other countries the ATP would had mentioned them all the time. Take for example the cases of Ljubicic or Blake. They don´t stop remarking them as the number 3th or 4th ranked players. And now that Roddick and Blake are in the top 10 they mention them all the time.

Why do you think that Argentine tennis was underestimated by the ATP in the past years?

I would like to listen your objective opinions.

Because Argentina isn't close to the US or in Europe. Simple as that. And because most Argies usually don't make great runs in the US Open.

Sjengster
01-31-2007, 01:29 AM
One could argue, if one was being generous, that the ATP seemed to take notice of them as individuals rather than as "the Argentines"; I mean they were at different levels, Coria and Nalbandian being the Galacticos to Gaudio's Valencia in the latter's own words. He and Puerta had their one great moment at RG a year apart, but haven't done anything truly notable since; well, nothing the ATP would want to publicise anyway, in Puerta's case.

fran70
01-31-2007, 01:31 AM
Ok
I´m going to turn it easier and not make it sound quite paranoid.

Some friends in UK, US and Australia say that Argentine tennis is underestimated because most the results achieved by their players were on clay courts. And many of them told me that generally speaking, clay court results are not valued as on hard or grass court ones.

shotgun
01-31-2007, 01:31 AM
I think this generation has really faced its peak in 2004 (with two Argies reaching the final of Roland Garros) and 2005 (with the five aforementioned players taking turns at the top 10). Now the only player of this generation yet to reach his prime is Acasuso IMO, I believe he can be a top 20 player in the near future if he improves a few aspects of his game.

Of course, Argies shouldn't be worried since there's a whole new generation coming up, with Del Potro (possibly the best Argentine player since Vilas), Leonardo Mayer, Eduardo Schwank, Emiliano Massa, Guido Pella, etc, and also Juan Monaco is still relatively young, he could be a regular top 50 if he improves his consistency.

Sjengster
01-31-2007, 01:38 AM
Ok
I´m going to turn it easier and not make it sound quite paranoid.

Some friends in UK, US and Australia say that Argentine tennis is underestimated because most the results achieved by their players were on clay courts. And many of them told me that generally speaking, clay court results are not valued as on hard or grass court ones.

Well, I suppose the lack of true Grand Slam success on fast surfaces is a hindering factor - Nalbandian's bridesmaid status at the Slams isn't quite enough to get the recognition that a title would (indeed, he still needs to make another final five years after the first). Of course he and Canas are responsible for the two biggest Argentine successes on fast courts, the TMC in 2005 and Toronto way back in 2002, but again it's a question of sustaining and building on that success. I heard a few experts suggest at the beginning of last year that Nalbandian was going to emerge as the third player in the mix behind Federer and Nadal after the TMC victory, but it didn't turn out that way.

casabe
01-31-2007, 01:50 AM
nalbandian will return to the top ten so dont worry