"There will be no dead rubbers" - a tribute to Mr Disney [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"There will be no dead rubbers" - a tribute to Mr Disney

Hotzenplotz
01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
So today is the first time in the short and disgraceful history of RR ATP tournaments that the winner of the first match plays the second match of the group - GGL vs Pless. Thank you for this great decision. If GGL wins, we'll have a great match between Gabashvili and Pless - I'm wondering if they'll do the same in Vina del Mar, maybe with two Argentinians playing the dead rubber and cashing in? :rolleyes:

scarecrows
01-30-2007, 03:56 PM
probably no bookie will dare to accept bets on a dead match

shtexas
01-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Not crazy about this format for that reason. Also, what about situations where the third match in the group is dead for one player but not the other. Not sure that can happen, but if it could, it might give rise to a gentleman's agreement, and therefore, a fixed match.

jazar
01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
it should be less farcical

SloKid
01-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Not crazy about this format for that reason. Also, what about situations where the third match in the group is dead for one player but not the other. Not sure that can happen, but if it could, it might give rise to a gentleman's agreement, and therefore, a fixed match.
Didn't it kinda happen, when Serra played Simon in Adelaide?
Well in the end Serra had to retire from that one, so Pim Pim qualified.

shtexas
01-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Didn't it kinda happen, when Serra played Simon in Adelaide?
Well in the end Serra had to retire from that one, so Pim Pim qualified.

Thanks. Yes. In this case, they may not have had a deal, but it still gives rise to the feeling of some sort of impropriety. Shouldn't leave it open for people to question the integrity of the sport.

greatkingrat
01-30-2007, 07:20 PM
This was a mistake on the Order of Play. Gabashvili is playing Pless today, not Garcia-Lopez.

Bloodletting
01-30-2007, 09:50 PM
if Massú wins only a set against Fraile, he's in. Not a dead rubber, but a comatose one to say the least

mangoes
01-30-2007, 11:37 PM
This round robin format is confusing and just plain stupid.

yakuzaninja
01-30-2007, 11:55 PM
It's plain to see the format doesn't work.

Hugh Jaas
01-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Please end the Round Robin format. It is clearly too confusing for the casual viewer and the qualifiers have to play 1 extra match for the same prize money(if they win the compititon)

Watching a first round match ace-marathon with Ivo karlovic is punishment enough Mr Disney!

Tobi
02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I hate to say but I hate this RR system :o :rolleyes:

SwiSha
02-01-2007, 10:55 PM
how many tournaments have this RR system?

cobalt60
02-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I don' know about any of you, but all this talk of dead rubbers is really killing the mood. :angel:

... :bolt:

Speak for yourself;) I love it when you change the topic:p

Sofyaxo
02-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Good.

I hope stuff like this keeps happening so RR goes away next year.

Via
02-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Three matches on Thursday

Blake vs Jenkins
Malisse vs Schuettler
Andreev vs Hartfield

All Blake , Malisse and Andreev need is to win one set

After that they are through:rolleyes:

Hope you are watching the last sets Mr Disney :mad: :mad: :mad:

i trust your analysis... but you've missed the point :p

mr disney won't care because 1) casual fans can't tell that there will be sets that are meaningless and 2) casual fans don't mind seeing :hearts: guys like blake, malisse and andreev one more match/set than necessary. they will sell tickets, and tv will show. so he will declare RR a mighty success this week...

Jaap
02-01-2007, 11:56 PM
LOL at the Malisse vs Schuettler match. Malisse has won the first set so is through.

In the 2nd set he has lost his serve twice in a row to love.:rolleyes:

Andre♥
02-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Malisse wins first set, qualifies and then just does a tank job.

This is getting sick. I think I'm going to kill some players in Estoril...

keqtqiadv
02-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Malisse lost :smash: :smash: :smash:

Sunset of Age
02-02-2007, 01:48 AM
i trust your analysis... but you've missed the point :p

mr disney won't care because 1) casual fans can't tell that there will be sets that are meaningless and 2) casual fans don't mind seeing :hearts: guys like blake, malisse and andreev one more match/set than necessary. they will sell tickets, and tv will show. so he will declare RR a mighty success this week...

Sadly enough, I fear you're entirely right about this.

Now, once again - where IS that Puke Smiley when you need it?

ChinoRios4Ever
02-02-2007, 02:11 AM
Andreev-Hartfield was so boring in the last 2 sets...

thank you Mr. Disney... :mad:

Action Jackson
02-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Mr Disney should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for 2007.

RickDaStick
02-02-2007, 04:31 AM
plenty of guys tank matches in regular tournaments as well. If someone doesnt feel like playing then there is really nothing anyone can do about it.

ChinoRios4Ever
02-02-2007, 04:36 AM
Mr Disney should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for 2007.

:haha: :haha: