best claycourt tournament? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

best claycourt tournament?

joeb_uk
03-22-2004, 08:29 PM
apart from RG ;)

Sjengster
03-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Ooh, definitely Sopot. It's taken so seriously by all those top players who enter it.

joeb_uk
03-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Sjeng, i have spoken to rosie about this. but i want to go to a tournament in the summer, claycourt one and im wondering which is best considering ticket price, travel there and accomodation. i have roughly 400-500 to spend, thanks for any help by anyone :D

Sjengster
03-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Ah. Well, don't ask me, my Sopot suggestion was a bit of a joke referring to the short-lived participation in last year's event by a couple of top players...

TennisLurker
03-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Barcelona and Kitzbuhel are the best tournaments.
Barcelona is probably cheaper, and all the great clay courters play in Barcelona.

joeb_uk
03-22-2004, 08:56 PM
do you have the prices for barcelona? i cant read spanish :D
is Kitzbuhel close to an aiport?

David Kenzie
03-22-2004, 10:17 PM
I would say Monte-Carlo, Roma and Hamburg are probably the best as they are the only clay Master Series tournaments and you can be sure all the top players will be there. Among those three, I would say Monte-Carlo is the best to go to because of the beautiful setting its in :cool:
Probably not the cheapest though :rolleyes:

http://www.monaco.mc/monaco/gallery/monu18.jpg

Action Jackson
03-23-2004, 12:04 AM
do you have the prices for barcelona? i cant read spanish :D
is Kitzbuhel close to an aiport?

Go to the tournament websites which can found at the ATP site under tournaments, and on many of those they will have how to get there and the like, plus the dates.

Two, it depends on when you can go and who you want to see.

To get to Kitzbhuel from England, get a plane to Salzburg than the train from there to Kitzbhuel.

Umag is another small tournament with a great setting. To get there fly RyanAir to Trieste which is on the Italian/Slovenian border and catch a bus Umag is right next to Slovenia in the north of Croatia.

Båstad is after Wimbledon, though it's a small tournament it's had some very good winners. Go to Malmö then a train to Båstad.

Billabong
03-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Monte Carlo is definitely one of my favorites:)!

Leo
03-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Ah. Well, don't ask me, my Sopot suggestion was a bit of a joke referring to the short-lived participation in last year's event by a couple of top players...

Surely you jest! Nalbandian, Moya, and Ferrero would never lose early on purpose, especially not to leave the highly-coveted Sopot early for a pathetic TMS tournament! Such a suggestion is preposterous and down right insulting! :fiery: :mad:

;)

Leo
03-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Back to the topic, I would say Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Kitzbuhel, and Gstaad are my favorites.

Action Jackson
03-23-2004, 01:26 AM
As for favourite clay tournaments I pretty much like them all, but for different reasons.

I actually prefer the smaller events than the TMS ones, Monte Carlo is a good tournament pity about the people that go there.

Fortunately I have been to a few of them my favourites are Båstad, Barcelona, Kitzbhuel, Casablanca, Umag and Monte Carlo.

Domino
03-23-2004, 01:29 PM
I like Mote-Carlo because of the setting. I just love the whole of Monaco, it really is worth it just to see the whole place.

amethyst
03-23-2004, 02:13 PM
You could try Stuttgart (starting July 12 this year) The field is usually o.k. - better than Umag or Sopot in any case (Coria-Robredo was the final last year). And I guess accomodations are much cheaper than Barcelona or Kitzbuhel.

Yonge
03-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I love Monte Carlo for the setting and the winners. I also like Barcelona because top players usually play there.

Buddy
03-23-2004, 03:14 PM
monte carlo and hamburg...

User ID 4783
03-23-2004, 03:21 PM
I also like Monte Carlo and Stuttgart because it's not so far away from where I live