Mark Philippoussis hires Pete Samprasís former fitness adviser [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mark Philippoussis hires Pete Samprasís former fitness adviser

flip_fan
03-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Scud hires new fitness adviser
Sportal

Australian Mark Philippoussis has hired Pete Samprasís former fitness adviser in an effort to arrest his form slump.

Just months after leading Australia to the Davis Cup title with a gutsy win over Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final at Melbourne Park, Philippoussis has suffered several losses in succession, including dual defeats in this year's Davis Cup first round loss to Sweden.

Former Australian Davis Cup captain John Newcombe has spoken of his belief that Philippoussis is not nearly as fit now as he was when he reached last yearís Wimbledon final, and the Victorian appears to have reached the same conclusion by turning to Brett Stephens.

"I've known Brett for a long time," Philippoussis said. "I really respect his work and achievements and I look forward to working with him."

The former Fitzroy fullback worked with Sampras during his career, including when he turned back the clock by taking out the 2002 US Open, and is renowned for his tough training schedules.

"Mark is one of the best players in the world and the opportunity to get him back on track is an exciting challenge," Stephens said. "It would be great to go one better at Wimbledon this year."
------------------------------------------------------------

thank the fucking lord this has happened. I was starting to wonder if mark even cared about his tennis. Obviously he does and im really excited to see the results from all the hard work over the next few months!!

yay mark! smart choice!

Deboogle!.
03-22-2004, 01:07 AM
Well that sounds like a step in the right direction.... I hope so! Would be great to see Mark turn this slump around, and quickly!

denim
03-22-2004, 02:41 AM
everyone wants petes staff now wit annacone as henmans coach.

mental and physical conditioning go together i believe so if this guy can get mark in top physical state then hopefully the rest will follow as hes got to be one of the biggest underachievers of all time, he was one of my dead certs in the 90's to win a wimbledon, off court, problems, injury have played part in his erratic form.

I hope his new appointment works and would be great to see him having a great run and get to another slam final.

hedgehog
03-22-2004, 02:46 AM
seems like sense to me, his form has been so off the boil it must be down to something like fitness level so cant do any harm.

can someone identify pardorns problem and loss of form??? who does he appoint for it???

Billabong
03-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the article:)!
GO MARK:D!!!

Lisbeth
03-22-2004, 02:57 AM
Interesting news and a good step for Flip, I think!

However, I hope he realises he has to actually DO what this guy tells him, LOL!

Smankyou
03-22-2004, 04:01 AM
haha. The guy used to play for Fitzroy.

Thanks for the article.

Space Cowgirl
03-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Maybe he should consider consulting a mind coach as well. After all, SchŁttler is pretty much the fittest guy on the tour and he's having an equally-crap dip in form. So it may not just be a case of lack of fitness.

Tennis Fool
03-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Hope Mark actually does something with the advice, unlike Pete ;)

CmonAussie
03-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Mark's problem is partly physical-->> he lost some of last year's form over the December break after Davis Cup because he injured his pec-muscle & couldn't train properly for a month.
**However Philippoussis main issue is mental/confidence, when he's swinging well he's quite a force for anyone but when he loses that feeling his game falls apart more than most.

Srichaphan is a little similiar in that he can only play well when the A-Game is working perfectly; he doesn't seem to win many matches the tough way.

The commone theme with Paradorn & Mark P is that both are stupidly over-loyal to their tennis-coach Dad's; these guys certainly were crucial to their success as well but if your going to take the next step & be a consistent Top-10, Top-5 player then you need a 3rd party who isn't so closely related as the Father/Son thing rides a wave of emotion~ evident from the way these guys play..

#I pray that Mark & Pardorn will get themselves full-time top coaches such as Gilbert & Cahill; in order to make the most of their abundant talent.

Atleast the choice of Brett Stevens as a fitness coach for Poo is a step in the right direction but will it be enough???

vene
03-22-2004, 02:49 PM
He probably also needs a mind coach...I hope he is really starting to get serious about his tennis

tangerine_dream
03-22-2004, 03:48 PM
I wish Taylor Dent would hire somebody's fitness advisor, too.

Deboogle!.
03-22-2004, 04:34 PM
maybe his new coach will help in that dept., tangy