Wow! Jim McIngvale begs Roger!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wow! Jim McIngvale begs Roger!!!

vene
03-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Is this true? Saw it on the tennis week board

Mattress Mac is pathetic
Post By : tommyboy
03/21/04

PMac and Drysedale were talking about Jim McIngvale calling ESPN and asking the aforementioned commentators to ask Roger Federer to play the Houston Clay Court Championships. Of course Drysedale obliged him and asked Mirka, Roger's PR rep and girlfriend, and she said it is a bit late for Roger to change his schedule.

Drysedale did mention how the foreign players in last year's Masters' Cup were displeased with Mattress Mac's pro-American bias. That could be a reason that Roger would refuse.

Of course McIngvale understands that Agassi and Roddick may not be enough to sell tickets in the long run for his tournament. So he realizes he should ask Roger because he is #1 in the world. Literally speaking, he did not ask him. He asked PMac and Drysedale to do the work for him. Does he think this is going to work? He should apologize for his antics last year to all the players, and be man enough to ask Roger directly. Then he may be more successful in getting Roger to Houston.

Pea
03-21-2004, 07:04 AM
Is this the same biased prick that kept throwing his cap away when the AMERICANS were losing?:rolleyes: If it is, stay away from him, Roger!

CmonAussie
03-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Americans like Mattress Mac are just the laughing stock for the rest of the world@-@.
*I remember watching the TMC Final while I was in Japan last year & at the trophy presentation all the telecast would show was Mac praising Agassi as he received his runner-up crystal vase..

Americans just can't handle it when they're not Top Dog^^ the "superiority complex" thing tarnishes any big event held in America.
-->> Same thing happened in US Golf Tour last year when they decided Tiger was the Player of the Year for 03 again, despite Vijay Singh making more prizemoney, a better record in the Majors, more Top 10's etc...
*#* The funniest thing is how they call their Baseball Competition (only American teams & 1or 2 Canadian) the "WORLD SERIES"``~ the only country on earth that would have the ignorant arrogance to proclaim a primarily domestic competition as being somehow Global??!!??

Fedex
03-21-2004, 07:16 AM
Yea. I heard this. Cliff was talking about that during Federer's-Agassi's match today! He himself seemed irrated to with Mac! :D

Action Jackson
03-21-2004, 08:03 AM
I hear this could be an Aprils Fools Day PR stunt, that got leaked to the media early.

WyveN
03-21-2004, 08:43 AM
*#* The funniest thing is how they call their Baseball Competition (only American teams & 1or 2 Canadian) the "WORLD SERIES"``~ the only country on earth that would have the ignorant arrogance to proclaim a primarily domestic competition as being somehow Global??!!??

didnt america lose in the olympic baseball qualyfying? lol

Action Jackson
03-21-2004, 08:46 AM

Yes, they did.

Dirk
03-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Mac should be man enough to talk to Roger after all he was man enough to yell at Roger when Roger expressed his little disdain for the Cup vs. other Cups. I would love for JC to show up. I hope its not too late for him to enter. :devil:

Action Jackson
03-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Not practical Dirk, but funny while they are it, they should try and get Nalbandian and Schuettler as well.

I don't think Big Jim has the testicular fortitude to ask Roger himself.

Dirk
03-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Imagine if Roger did play it. Would he really want to see Roger kill the weak field in straight sets? Maybe he knows now that Roger is big and people in USA are really loving him and he wants to use him to pull in the crowds. Roger is very nice and approachable. Had Mac expressed some of his comments to Roger at the Cup without yelling at him then maybe just maybe he wouldn't be scared but clearly he is embarrassed by his behavior there.

JennyS
03-21-2004, 03:04 PM
I think Mac is just upset that Andre isn't playing this year's tournament and Andy will be the only big name playing there.

It wouldn't make sense for Roger to play this tournament anyway. Why would he play Davis Cup, fly back to North America for a relatively minor event and then fly back out to Europe to play Monte-Carlo?

I was very amused by this though. When Cliff made his comment about Mac wanting Roger to play I was like "Haha, yeah right!"

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Americans like Mattress Mac are just the laughing stock for the rest of the world

guess it's a good thing there's only one of him, then. Every time I see him in one of his obnoxious commercials on tv (which is about every 10 minutes :o) I think of all you guys on this board. He is a unique character that is for sure.

Shy
03-21-2004, 03:49 PM
I think that he already had a tournament plan that week. He need to play in a stronger field for better practise on clay. Honestly,I think that Andy should too.

vene
03-21-2004, 03:51 PM
I had heard thru the grapevine that McIngvale berated Roger for nearly 10 minutes before his match against Agassi, and he nearly had poor Rogi in tears.
To then ask Roger to rearrange his schedule at the last minute to play at his tournament- that's chutzpah! :confused:

MisterQ
03-21-2004, 04:26 PM

It's the beginning of the end for the US of A. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Americans like Mattress Mac are just the laughing stock for the rest of the world@-@.
*I remember watching the TMC Final while I was in Japan last year & at the trophy presentation all the telecast would show was Mac praising Agassi as he received his runner-up crystal vase..

Americans just can't handle it when they're not Top Dog^^ the "superiority complex" thing tarnishes any big event held in America.
-->> Same thing happened in US Golf Tour last year when they decided Tiger was the Player of the Year for 03 again, despite Vijay Singh making more prizemoney, a better record in the Majors, more Top 10's etc...

I had some yanks staying at my house this weekend (long story), and they got talking about this very thing ("World Series)". They actualyl thought that iwas pretty funny and were taking the piss out of it. So not all Americans consider it the end all of events, just so you know ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-21-2004, 04:44 PM
guess it's a good thing there's only one of him, then. Every time I see him in one of his obnoxious commercials on tv (which is about every 10 minutes :o) I think of all you guys on this board. He is a unique character that is for sure.
We have some people like him in Canada too... we'd ship them back to Europe if we could ;)

MisterQ
03-21-2004, 05:05 PM
The World Series was started in 1903 as a playoff between the established National League and the fledgling American League. The term "world" was probably a little tongue-in-cheek at the time. Back then there weren't baseball teams around the world. I guess the name just stuck.

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 05:07 PM
I think that he already had a tournament plan that week. He need to play in a stronger field for better practise on clay. Honestly,I think that Andy should too.

I totally agree. I said that about Andy as soon as I saw his 2004 schedule. I expressed my desire for him to go over to Europe a week earlier. But, he is fiercly loyal to tournament directors who gave him a shot early on and barring anything unforseen, I don't see him missing the USMCC anytime soon.

So not all Americans consider it the end all of events, just so you know ;)

That is quite true. Baseball=:yawn: and I know a lot of people who could really care less who wins the World Series :)

MisterQ
03-21-2004, 05:07 PM
I had heard thru the grapevine that McIngvale berated Roger for nearly 10 minutes before his match against Agassi, and he nearly had poor Rogi in tears.
To then ask Roger to rearrange his schedule at the last minute to play at his tournament- that's chutzpah! :confused:

Roger should sit on the photocopier and mail the results to Jim with the inscription "Kiss it!" ;)

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Roger should sit on the photocopier and mail the results to Jim with the inscription "Kiss it!" ;)

:haha:

I've gotta say though, after what Mack supposedly did/said to Roger, and all the scrutiny he was under, it does take a lot of guts to invite him to the USMCC. Not that he's any less insufferable, but yea. whoever said chutzpah, that was a good word for it lol

tangerine_dream
03-21-2004, 06:49 PM

:haha: I think all the players should boycott TMC Houston, or send a note to the organizers saying they won't attend if Mac is there. After so many complaints about his behavior, hopefully Mac will have learned his lesson and will tone it down this year or better yet, not be in attendance.http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/icon9.gif

Devotee
03-21-2004, 06:53 PM
I think Mac is just upset that Andre isn't playing this year's tournament and Andy will be the only big name playing there.

Tommy Haas and Thomas Enqvist are also playing in the U.S. Men's
Clay Court event this year.

tangerine_dream
03-21-2004, 06:53 PM
That is quite true. Baseball=:yawn: and I know a lot of people who could really care less who wins the World Series :)

I'm sure there are just as many Canadians who could've cared less that they hadn't won an Olympic gold medal in hockey for fifty years until 1992. :)

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 07:01 PM
After so many complaints about his behavior, hopefully Mac will have learned his lesson and will tone it down this year or better yet, not be in attendance.http://forum.e46fanatics.com/images/smilies/icon9.gif

well god I should hope so!!!!!!!!

sigmagirl91
03-21-2004, 11:41 PM
My opinion:
Mattress Mac on crack is totally wack. What makes him think Roger will come? If I was Roger, I would gladly advise doing what MisterQ suggested....

Pea
03-21-2004, 11:52 PM

If that's true, that's fuckin sad.:tape:

sigmagirl91
03-21-2004, 11:54 PM
Pea, it's sad but true...
McIngvale is a pathetic head case.

darnyelb
03-22-2004, 05:10 AM
I don't understand the commotion over what Roger said last November. He only made slight criticisms on the court layout and stadium size. It's not like he said the MacIngvale family eats babies or anything (though sometimes, I wonder...).

And I don't recall Federer making comments about the pro-American bias - that was Nalbandian and (I think) Schuettler.

And beside all this I thought Roger apologized (not that he needed to) and Jim called him a "nice kid" afterwards? I know Jimmy boy was visibly pissed off after Agassi got demolished, but really, I thought this crap was over...

darnyelb

sigmagirl91
03-23-2004, 12:18 PM
We know, darnyelb, but the way McIngvale behaved toward Roger, you'd have thought that he said McIngvale was an alien or something (like you said, I wonder...).

And I thought it was rather "punk" of Roger to apologize, meanwhile Nalbandian's rant went unchecked by Mattress Mac. In any case, Roger should have been a man about it....

star
03-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Tommy Haas and Thomas Enqvist are also playing in the U.S. Men's
Clay Court event this year.

Tompa's brother lives Texas. At one time he was an organizer for the River Oaks tournament. Lots of Swedes would turn up for that tournament. Roger played it once when he was quite young.

star
03-23-2004, 01:28 PM
btw, what did Mac say to Roger that had Roger nearly in tears?

I hadn't heard of this before.

I'm so glad that other countries don't have any embarassing people. It must be a huge relief. :)

vene
03-23-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure what exactly he said, I understand he berated Roger for complaining about the court. All the players complained about the court. Even Agassi admitted (diplomatically) that the court had its own xter!