Andre: No coach is better than an average coach [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andre: No coach is better than an average coach

Tennis Fool
03-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Lol, let the firing begin...

Agassi on Federer winning without a coach:

"I think not having a coach and doing what he's doing is a testament to his skill. I think no coach is better than an average coach. The responsibility of a coach is to understand your game and help you to steer your game in the right way. And I think if you're going to give somebody that place and that responsibility, they need to make sure they deliver. So little separates so many guys, that you can improve your weakness a touch and drop your strength a touch and you become an ordinary player."

armaniman
03-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Coaches can be a hinderence at times, Stafanky took the pace of henmans serve and Annocone has put it back on again...which was needed

Most top players now can survive without a coach for few months if they decide a change but huge part of Agassis success is due to Brad Gilbert.

I think Federer was steered as far as could be steered and now the slams and titles are coming, all he would want right now is a travelling companion and not a mentor.

AgassiFan
03-21-2004, 12:40 AM
I think not having a coach and doing what he's doing is a testament to his skill. I think no coach is better than an average coach. The responsibility of a coach is to understand your game and help you to steer your game in the right way. And I think if you're going to give somebody that place and that responsibility, they need to make sure they deliver. So little separates so many guys, that you can improve your weakness a touch and drop your strength a touch and you become an ordinary player.">>>>

Hey, loser, your strenght is ground strokes and returns and fitness, NOT trying to bunt at the ball when you're up 40-15 in a crucial game of the deciding set. When was the last time you took an ordinary 2nd serve and smashed it so hard that an opposing player didn't even move? When was the last time a big server was trembling at the thought that if he missed his 1st serve, there will be hell to pay on the 2nd? How many winners did you hit off your backhand? Way to be the Punisher....NOT!

When was the last time you served over 65% in a big match against an opponent like Safin, Sampras or Federer? Matts Vilander once served at over 90%......Dumbass..

Tennis Fool
03-21-2004, 12:48 AM
Okaaaaay.

CanadianBoy18
03-21-2004, 02:36 AM
Hey, loser, your strenght is ground strokes and returns and fitness, NOT trying to bunt at the ball when you're up 40-15 in a crucial game of the deciding set. When was the last time you took an ordinary 2nd serve and smashed it so hard that an opposing player didn't even move? When was the last time a big server was trembling at the thought that if he missed his 1st serve, there will be hell to pay on the 2nd? How many winners did you hit off your backhand? Way to be the Punisher....NOT!

When was the last time you served over 65% in a big match against an opponent like Safin, Sampras or Federer? Matts Vilander once served at over 90%......Dumbass..

You sound dissapointed...?

scoobydoo
03-21-2004, 02:41 AM

Take deep breaths and i promise we weill find your tablets, thats it, nice deep breaths LMAO !!!!!!!!! :smash::haha::haha::haha:

Experimentee
03-21-2004, 04:54 AM
Its is true, coaches can sometimes hurt a player's results more than they can help them, to the point where no coach is preferable. However I dont think that was the case with Lundgren and Federer.

CooCooCachoo
03-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Obviously every coach is different, but it is also true that certain players play better without a coach. Sometimes, they just need to start off with a coach, before knowing what to do and how to do that. In some cases, a coach just won't be able to make any improvements. I am not saying that Federer doesn't need a coach, but he has obviously outgrown Lundgren in my opinion.

WyveN
03-21-2004, 07:30 AM
It is interesting whether Roger would have had this start to the season if he remained with Peter. We will never know.

Trent
03-21-2004, 09:40 AM

I'm sure Agassi will take in your advice and critism when he visits this message board and reads your post. The time you spent typing that out was well spent, I can assure you :)

*cough*

Aurora
03-21-2004, 09:47 AM
There's also the issue of a coach that suits you. A coach can get average compatibility with 1 player and click with another to get great achievements.
Mr Marat Safin anyone? :tape:

tennischick
03-21-2004, 11:06 AM
i agree swirlingblacklilly. no coach is sometimes better than the wrong coach. it took me years and several coach changes before i finally landed the right person for ME. which is not to say that the coaches i discarded were not good -- they just weren't good for me or my game.

that said i am rather fascinated by this little experiment of Roger's. let's see how far he goes with it. if he continues to win like he is, a lot of coaches will start to get nervous about their jobs! ;)