How should the ATP compensate Rusedski? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How should the ATP compensate Rusedski?

Tennis Fool
03-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Rusedski seeks settlement with ATP

LONDON (AP) — Greg Rusedski said Tuesday he is seeking a settlement with the ATP after his exoneration on doping charges.
The 1997 U.S. Open runner-up tested positive for the steroid nandrolone at a tournament in Indianapolis in July and faced a two-year ban if found guilty.

The British player was cleared last week by an independent panel, which accepted his contention that his positive test was the result of contaminated electrolyte supplements provided by ATP Tour trainers.

Rusedski is the eighth male tennis player in as many months who has escaped suspension after positive nandrolone tests.

"I knew I was innocent from day one," Rusedski said at a news conference.

Rusedski didn't rule out taking legal action against the ATP, saying he was trying to negotiate a settlement that would help him resume his career.

"We need to think about my future," he said. "We're trying to come to an agreement which hasn't happened yet. They have to be able to do something to get my career back."

Rusedski and his lawyer, Mark Gay, declined to give details of the negotiations or whether they were seeking financial damages.

Gay said talks could involve Rusedski's ranking. He hasn't played in more than two months and his world ranking has slipped to No. 100, forcing him to qualify for major tournaments.

"The ATP welcomes Greg Rusedski's willingness to assist the ATP in getting to the bottom of the contamination issue in men's tennis, and we also look forward to continuing discussions to help him get back into the game," the ATP said in a statement Tuesday.

Rusedski has been off the tour since losing in the first round of the Australian Open to Albert Costa in January.

He ruled out playing at the Nasdaq-100 Open in Miami next week, but said he would be available for Britain's Davis Cup match against Luxembourg on April 9-11.

Bohdan Ulihrach of the Czech Republic and six unidentified players were cleared in July when the ATP said it could not rule out that its trainers might have provided the contaminated supplements.

Last week, the ATP said 16 more cases of trace amounts of nandrolone — not enough to trigger a positive test — have been recorded so far this year.

Domino
03-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Nothing. He was washed up anyway. Had he played, he would have lost in the first round several times until he retired (Not really, but eventually he would). Then where would his career be. I can see this argument would be valid if this was a top 50 player on the rise, but not Rusedski.

joeb_uk
03-20-2004, 03:09 PM
yep i agree, instead of making a big fuss just get on with it. forget it and carry on with his career, whats left of it

armaniman
03-20-2004, 03:10 PM
they should compensate him with sugar lumps as he looks like a horse LOL

Domino
03-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Lol, armaniman,

joeb_uk
03-20-2004, 03:13 PM
lol, actually i think he looks like a wrench :D he has such a huge chin

JonBcn
03-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Two years free supply of supplements, no questions asked ;)

Tennis Fool
03-20-2004, 06:12 PM
So, how do you really feel about Rusedski? Lol

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 07:00 PM
gibe him Bye's into round 2 every week for a year, then he can say he losses in r2 every week instead of round 1

joeb_uk
03-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Ranking, by placing him back to where he was at his last tournament

3 people said this, whats your views guys who put this? why did you choose this one

CanadianBoy18
03-20-2004, 07:21 PM
None of the above. Life is unfair. Deal with it.
He wants to make money out of this, and I don't like him because he is an asshol*

darnyelb
03-21-2004, 02:30 AM
This just in... Court orders the ATP to replay 1997 US Open final in compensation to Greg Rusedski. Pat Rafter will be dragged back out of retirement and made to play a grueling best of five sets! Rusedski is said to be quite pleased with ruling.

More to come later...

armaniman
03-21-2004, 02:39 AM
they should compensate in air miles to gotham city as his chin and mouth are like the joker in Batman LOL

tennischick
03-21-2004, 03:18 AM
a stack of clean crisp white Cannon towels for him to suck on...;)

when the ATP decides to compensate some of the other allegedly wrongly-accused, then we can start talking compensation for Linus IMO...

Chris Seahorse
03-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Rusedski has only been out of the game for 5 or 6 weeks and this was his own choice anyway. He was always allowed to keep playing until the panel made it's decision. Admitedly playing under such circumstances would have been stress but that's life. He should ofcourse be reinbursed for all his legal expenses incured while defending himself but that's it. This is a very different situation to Bohdan Ulihrach who actually was unfairly banned. Rusedski was never actually found guilty. He was merely put on trial.

amethyst
03-21-2004, 01:55 PM
I agree with Chris. What are doping tests for if can´t put a player on trial after a positive test without fear of compensation. If a test is positive there has to be an investigation. If I understand correctly it was Rusedkis choice make his case public so there´s no need for compensation in my eyes.

alfonsojose
03-23-2004, 02:53 PM
The case could be re-opened. This is not over

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/tennis/03/21/bc.eu.spt.ten.rusedski.wada.ap/index.html

Anyway, bad news for everyone. Basically, They said A tennis player is an athlete and he can not be that "naive" about banned drugs :rolleyes: