is James Blake some kind of an idiot or just a fool?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

is James Blake some kind of an idiot or just a fool??

tennischick
03-20-2004, 10:36 AM
i'm finally watching my tape of the Blake-Labadze match. not taking anything away from Labadze who is playing solid tennis. but James Blake's shot selection is piss-poor. i don't understand some of his errors, and he makes them so cavalierly and so casually you'd swear that the outcome of the match didn't matter to him one bit. if i were his coach i would seriously consider giving him the Trump treatment ("You're Fired!!!"). :mad: :fiery: :mad:

Domino
03-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Blake has only one game plan: Hit the ball like hell and go for broke. When he doesn't win, he doesn't win, plain and simple. He doesn't know how to grind out points or be patient.

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 11:17 AM
tennischick, i dont think blake is very good with tactics or being patiant, but the QF of a tms is "ok", im sure he'll keep improving those weaknesses, maybe he just wasnt excited that he wouldnt get to play his buddy Roddick in the SF :p

Deboogle!.
03-20-2004, 12:37 PM
James has had the same coach since he was a teenager right? I read somewhere that he's "fiercly loyal" to him, but it sounds like he might need a new voice. He showed against Dent he has what it takes to play really well at times, but even in that match he was so streaky (Dent was just even streakier haha).

Experimentee
03-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Lots of players have a casual demenour when they play, but that doesnt mean they dont care about the outcome. Its ridiculous to suggest his coach should leave just after he makes the QF of Indian Wells :rolleyes:
People used to say the same thing about Federer too, he always looked like he didnt care, but look what he has done now. Sometimes Moya looks like he doesnt care either. Stop overreacting, I'm sure Blake was trying hard.

Domino
03-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Oh he cared, the "Oh no"'s he kept on yelling were symbolic of that. He doesn't know how to win if he isn't playing well. Really a one-dimensional, if exciting, tennis player.

the cat
03-20-2004, 01:31 PM
TC, James Blake is a highly intelligent young man who is a fine tennis player. But his human intelligence does not translate to playing tennis and his tennis intelligence. Not making the semifinals of Indian Wells has to be difficult for Blake to deal with. The draw opened up for him and he didn't take full advantage of it.

Tennis Fool
03-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Experimentee: Tarik got the fired after getting Duck to the semis of the 2003 Aussie, but then losing in the 1st rd of the French. Duck's play this year has been kind of average. I like to see how he does at the French with Gilbert.

Cat, to add, Labadze had a 2:1 head over Blake, who hadn't won against him in two tries. That had to be going through his head. Also, who's to say he didn't have a letdown after Dent?

¿esquímaux?
03-20-2004, 03:45 PM
I think all that junk in the trunk hampered his movement.

CmonAussie
03-20-2004, 04:24 PM
* Blake is just one of those guys who can beat anybody on any given day but struggles to string together a run of good form...
### To my mind he's not that mentally tough because he can't win unless his A-Game is working perfectly & his risky shots are just scraping the lines.
@@ Blake is like Srichaphan, Dent & Gonzalez-->> when you see them hitting the shit out of every groundstroke & impatiently try to win the point then you know they'll generally lost the big matches!!
I'd love to be wrong with my criticism because I want to see one of these guys make the most of their potential & challenge for a Slam or atleast win a TMS--> probably Srichaphan & Gonzalez have the best chances among them but Blake & Dent also have a few years to prove me wrong!!!

tennischick
03-21-2004, 09:09 PM
I think all that junk in the trunk hampered his movement.
you think his big ass slows him down? surely chopping off his dreads should help in the weight-carrying department?

sigmagirl91
03-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Blake is like Srichaphan, Dent & Gonzalez-->> when you see them hitting the shit out of every groundstroke & impatiently try to win the point then you know they'll generally lost the big matches!!
I'd love to be wrong with my criticism because I want to see one of these guys make the most of their potential & challenge for a Slam or atleast win a TMS--> probably Srichaphan & Gonzalez have the best chances among them but Blake & Dent also have a few years to prove me wrong!!!

Cmon, this is the exact point I was trying to make in that totally unnecessary and pointless "Fernando Gonzalez is the best right on tour" thread. Instead, my points got lost amid attacks on my country and my politics. In fact, I invite you to read that thread in its entirety. Why can't some of the posters admit that they're wrong or that they don't have enough information? It would be easier to do that than to persist in dialogue that is not relevant to the discussion at hand. I have to warn you: read at your own risk....

alfonsojose
03-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Blake looked like a penis with that bandana :lol:

star
03-23-2004, 02:14 PM
The headband is unfortunate.

He'd look better with a bandana a la Clement... not a la Federer. :)

At IW an announcer introduced Dent with the phrase.. "He is coached by his long time friend [whatever the name was]. I thought that was strange. But his coach is a fairly young man who doesn't look much older than Blake. So I was just wondering who was coaching him and about that phrase...."his long time friend."

Deboogle!.
03-23-2004, 02:24 PM
yea the bandana is just horrible

star, I don't know! Up til quite recently he was coached by his dad. Maybe he had someone there over the interim in IW? :scratch:

star
03-23-2004, 02:29 PM
It wasnt' a bandana that James wore. It was a headband.

A bandana would have been better.

Deboogle!.
03-23-2004, 02:33 PM
lol that's what I meant. I was reading what you wrote and just wrote the wrong word. oopsie.

the headband=really bad

Nan Cu
03-24-2004, 09:47 PM
James Blake is a choker, plain and simple.

Sjengster
03-24-2004, 10:12 PM
I have to admit, after seeing the highlights of the match I realised that Labadze didn't do anything really special except stay solid and make Blake play - he was hitting occasional bullet forehands, but his lefty serve certainly wasn't as unreturnable as I would have thought. Blake, as the commentators pointed out, let the unpredictable play of Labadze intimidate him and totally collapsed in the final set. In the two games Labadze broke, he knocked the ball over the net and allowed Blake to make unforced errors, eight in a row which led to two service breaks, both to love.

Deboogle!.
03-24-2004, 10:21 PM
yea I was reading an article at tr.net about how he was the frontrunner for the DC second spot til the 3rd set of that match. that's really so sad :( but Mardy's just plain playing better now and he doesn't choke nearly as often lol. It's just too bad for James that he gets himself into such good positions and then can't close it out.

Sjengster
03-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Well, from what I've heard on here Fish hardly looked any better in his match against Federer, so it's a tough choice for the second singles player behind Roddick. J. Johansson beat both Blake and Fish en route to winning Memphis, Enqvist beat Roddick in the same tournament, Dent's serve is still horrendously inconsistent... so as I say, tricky times ahead for PMac. I'm getting this tie on Sky, so it'd better be a decent clash unlike the first round. Sky seem to enjoy focusing on the least competitive early round ties, two years ago they followed America against Slovakia and Spain before finally showing a real contest when they made the semis versus France.

Deboogle!.
03-24-2004, 10:42 PM
Well there are several differences between Fish and Blake. First and foremost, Mardy came through BIGTIME against Kucera who had just beaten him on his turf (literally and figuratively) not even a month before. Mardy didn't look good against Federer in the second set. But the difference is that it was Federer, not Labadze. I'm sure that makes a difference to PMac lol. And also, aside from the loss to PimPim in Memphis, he has a good record against Swedes. He beat both Enqvist and Soderling in Stockholm last fall to win his first title. And he has a winning record against PimPim actually. I'm thinking PMac will go with either Mardy or even surprise everyone and pick Spadea.

Sjengster
03-24-2004, 10:46 PM
True, true... in fact I think he beat J.J. in the opening rounds of both the Australian and US Opens last year before falling to him in Memphis this year. I'm really looking forward to the doubles though, provided the Swedes turn up it should be a good contest pitting Bjorkman and Johansson against the Bryans (it was Johansson's first ever DC rubber against Australia and he helped take out Arthurs and Woodbridge in five sets, not bad going).

Conan the Librarian
03-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Cmon, this is the exact point I was trying to make in that totally unnecessary and pointless "Fernando Gonzalez is the best right on tour" thread. Instead, my points got lost amid attacks on my country and my politics. In fact, I invite you to read that thread in its entirety. Why can't some of the posters admit that they're wrong or that they don't have enough information? It would be easier to do that than to persist in dialogue that is not relevant to the discussion at hand. I have to warn you: read at your own risk....

Conan read the thread and had flash backs to the dark ages.

Conan also believes that the sole reason Massu has failed to make the top 10 so far is because he has been restricted to only a 32 tournament schedule.

Deboogle!.
03-24-2004, 11:15 PM
yea Sjengster, Mardy definitely beat PimPim at the USO, I don't know for sure when the other time was... but I still think PMac will go with him. The Bryans live and die for Davis Cup so I know they'll give it their 110%, I'm looking forward to it as well :)

Kiara
03-24-2004, 11:35 PM
oh, a Mardy discussion! This should be continued in the Mardy thread, we need to bump up our post count ;)

I agree with Bunkkk, Mardy comes through for Davis cup, even though James showed that he was in good form (good for him) during the USO PMac went with Mardy, I was really shocked when he made that decision and he managed to beat Kucera, on clay, no less...Mardy should not be allowed to play on carpet though, he's terrible on carpet :(

it's between Mardy and Blake and I would be very surprised if it was not Mardy.

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 11:37 PM
Bunkkk

Oh, Kiara, that is so wrong.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sjengster
03-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Which, the principle of agreeing with bunk or the inadvertent KKK reference? Both can be criminal at times, depending upon their context.

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Which, the principle of agreeing with bunk or the inadvertent KKK reference? Both can be criminal at times, depending upon their context.

Actually, both Sjengster. I found it quite amusing that she would slip that in for controversy's sake....

Kiara
03-24-2004, 11:43 PM
Oh, Kiara, that is so wrong.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

sorry I didnt realise I had my finger on the k, I wasnt trying to slip in a refernce to the Ku Klux :o lol!

Sjengster
03-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, maybe it was inadvertent - people do make highly amusing errors when they type quickly, although holding down the k key thrice can't be much of an accident I suppose... I'm sure it isn't meant, bunk's white supremacist tendencies have thus fair failed to become fully apparent to me.

MisterQ
03-24-2004, 11:45 PM
It's OKKK KKKiara.

Kiara
Actually, both Sjengster. I found it quite amusing that she would slip that in for controversy's sake....

omg noooooooooooooooooooo , it was an honest mistake lmao x infinity thats hilarious btw! hahahaaa

Trust you to pick up on that ;)

sigmagirl91
sorry I didnt realise I had my finger on the k, I wasnt trying to slip in a refernce to the Ku Klux :o lol!

Uh huh Kiara ;) . But sometimes it seems that way....

Sjengster
Ah, so it was an accident - nice that my theory was validated before I even posted. But yes, you don't want to paint bunk as a KKK member, the next thing you know you'll have star continually going on about the PLO... ah. Ahem.

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Well, maybe it was inadvertent - people do make highly amusing errors when they type quickly, although holding down the k key thrice can't be much of an accident I suppose... I'm sure it isn't meant, bunk's white supremacist tendencies have thus fair failed to become fully apparent to me.

Not yet, but I would not be surprised at all if any of those views were represented by certain other posters....

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 11:47 PM
Ah, so it was an accident - nice that my theory was validated before I even posted. But yes, you don't want to paint bunk as a KKK member, the next thing you know you'll have star continually going on about the PLO... ah. Ahem.

And tangerine_dream (aka Buffy Sue) going on about truth, justice, and the AMERICAN way....

Kiara
03-24-2004, 11:48 PM
It's OKKK KKKiara.

see it happens to Q too ;)

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 11:51 PM
It's OKKK KKKiara.

OH, MisterQ, you never disappoint. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Kiara
03-24-2004, 11:55 PM
Bunk im sorry :o

sigmagirl91
03-24-2004, 11:56 PM
I don't think bunk realizes it yet....

Kiara
03-24-2004, 11:59 PM
No I dont think she has....anyway thanks for pointing that out I hadnt realised I had done that...*blush*

TennisLurker
03-25-2004, 12:01 AM
I dont see what is so great about beating Kucera on clay when his favorite surface by far is fast indoors.

Kiara
03-25-2004, 12:15 AM
I dont see what is so great about beating Kucera on clay when his favorite surface by far is fast indoors.

If Kucera can beat players like Agassi on clay he's not all bad on that clay, infact he mauled Agassi in the last two sets at roland garros. but the point was the MARDY beat him on clay, it's not HIS best surface.

alfonsojose
03-25-2004, 12:16 AM
OMG, Is that still alive? :eek: I haven't heard about the K@@ thing in years. Thank god.

J. Corwin
03-25-2004, 02:03 AM
James isn't a fool although his tennis may at times suggest otherwise.

Deb is far from being a white supremist.

Deboogle!.
03-25-2004, 02:24 AM

Hey nowwwwwwwww hmmmmmph.

and..... white supremacist??? HAHAHAHAHA lol thanks Jace, and Kiara no worries. I've been offended at MTF before but takes a lot more than that to offend me lol.

Lurker, it's not that it was so great that Mardy beat Kucera on clay.. besides, even if Kucera prefers fast indoor, he was still playing at home, Hrbaty had just upset Andy, the US was in a really tough position, Mardy has got to be worse on clay than Kucera, AND he had just lost to Kucera at the USO on his preferred fast outdoor hardcourt. It was a huge risk for PMac but he went with Mardy and Mardy stepped up BIG time. PMac has said that means a lot to him, and if his and James's forms are similar (which I'd say right now they are) I think he'll side with Mardy. We'll find out any day now though :)

Sjengster
03-25-2004, 04:34 PM
'Twas a joke bunk, I just couldn't be bothered to add the relevant emoticon. OKKK?

Action Jackson
03-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Hey nowwwwwwwww hmmmmmph.

and..... white supremacist??? HAHAHAHAHA lol thanks Jace, and Kiara no worries. I've been offended at MTF before but takes a lot more than that to offend me lol. :)

Yes, Jewish white supremacist it gets better. I am one of the few who knows how to offend you constantly, even though I don't know that I am doing it.

Deboogle!.
03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
I know it was a joke, hence my "HAHAHAHAHA lol" :)

Deboogle!.
03-26-2004, 02:35 AM
Well James went and did it again.... 7-6(12) (4)6-7 1-6 he served for the match at 5-4 in the second and was up 30-0

Guess he didn't really want to play DC after all.

Kiara
03-26-2004, 02:40 AM
No, he probably didnt want to play Safin ;)