Andy Murray vs. Juan Ignacio Chela [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Murray vs. Juan Ignacio Chela

Denaon
01-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Who do you think will win?
Will Murray take revenge of last year's loss in R128 against Chela??

Chela defeated him in straight sets!!! :eek:
6-1/6-3/6-3

It could be one hell of a match imo!!

Shrinking Violet
01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Murray then beat him in straights at Paris and dished him a bagel in the second set.

I don't know - I fancy Murray in 4 but he'll need to serve a helluva lot better than he did against Verdasco if he's going to win.

*Ljubica*
01-19-2007, 04:01 PM
I think Murray will win easily. I don't like him but I do think he's a far better player than Chela these days.

Sjengster
01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Should be a very good close-fought match, and revenge here at the same event over best of five would tell us far more about Murray's improvement than the win in Paris would. It will certainly test both his fitness and his strategy; Martin was a grinder with no real weapons, Verdasco with huge weapons but way too inconsistent, while Chela has a combination of power and patience that will make him difficult to beat. Murray can't keep serving as poorly as he has been and allowing himself to be broken repeatedly as he was in his last round.

DavidW
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Murray is alot better since that match last year, but Chela shouldn't be taken lightly. Murray wasn't too good against Verdasco and even though I think he'll win in 4, I wouldn't be surprised if Chela pulled off an upset.

I'm kinda hoping that Murray will win though so Nadal can humble the arrogance in him.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-19-2007, 04:04 PM
I think Murray will win easily. I don't like him but I do think he's a far better player than Chela these days.
I dunno about that, Chela can be a very difficult opponent.

Merton
01-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Chela in 4.

Denaon
01-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Oops....I haven't said it ....Chela in 5 :bounce: Vamos!!!

*Ljubica*
01-19-2007, 04:11 PM
I dunno about that, Chela can be a very difficult opponent.

Agreed - yes he can. But he is also one of these players that can throw in a dreadful performance now and again, and he can lose concentration easily too and get a bit down on himself.

Horatio Caine
01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't read too much into Murray's Paris win...for some reason he performs better indoors (but says his favourite surface is clay...which he can't play on :retard: ) and Chela's game was probably rendered less effective.

Here it will be a different story...and I do get the feeling that Murray might lose...but this comes from someone who has rarely correctly predicted a Murray match this year :tape:

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Agreed - yes he can. But he is also one of these players that can throw in a dreadful performance now and again, and he can lose concentration easily too and get a bit down on himself.

Yeah I guess you're right. I just hope he can put in a good performance and win, I really don't like Murray :devil:

Adler
01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Murray in straights, come on...

*Ljubica*
01-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah I guess you're right. I just hope he can put in a good performance and win, I really don't like Murray :devil:

I really don't like either of them :lol:

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I really don't like either of them :lol:

I hate it when u can't really cheer for or against anyone, its kinda boring :lol:

pistolmarat
01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Murray in 3!:devil:

*Ljubica*
01-19-2007, 05:01 PM
I hate it when u can't really cheer for or against anyone, its kinda boring :lol:

:lol: I agree!

jazar
01-19-2007, 05:02 PM
murray has come a long way since chela obliterated him last year. but chela is the type of player who can cause problems. i think murray will win but in 4 tight sets

scarecrows
01-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Murray in 4 or 5

Mateya
01-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Chela is vonureable on his second serve and can produce a :retard: performance.
I am a Chela fan, but Murray will probably win in three or four smooth sets :devil:

bigbhoy
01-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I'd normally predict a choke here & say Murray would blow it.

However it's Chela, yes he beat him easily (while Murray was ill) in Paris a few months back. While he probably considered that revenge. The fact that he now has the opportunity to get him back even better in the following years AO will be too much for him to pass up. Would have been more fitting for it to have been on Vodafone though!

The other reason is the chance to play Nadal. Those 2 factors will see him keep his head when approaching the match.

I see him taking it 3-0 without too many troubles. Perhaps a tight 1st set if he approaches it too tentatively. Although if he comes out firing gets the early break. Then he will take it confortably. If that happens, I still predict 1 tightly fought set though where Chela will put up more resistance.

Should be a good workout for him ahead of the Nadal match! Should they both not choke & screw the potential encounter up.

R.Federer
01-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Chela has overall very good results in Melbourne. Put it this way, if Murray wins this, I really fancy his chances of going much deeper than I previously imagined.
Chela in 4.

PlayOnClay
01-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Murray has improved a lot. He'll win in 3 sets.

cmurray
01-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Really? I find it slightly pleasant. When Andre used to play, I'd get twisted into knots watching him. My stomach would jump, my pulse would race. Now I find a similar thing happening when Rafa plays. It's kind of nice for me to watch a match and not be chewing my nails over who was going to win. Of course, I'm obviously a sick, demented person, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

cmurray
01-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Chela has overall very good results in Melbourne. Put it this way, if Murray wins this, I really fancy his chances of going much deeper than I previously imagined.
Chela in 4.

Oh yeah....and on the actual thread topic...I think Murray is going to win. In 4 (and that isn't just because he has the same last name as me....)

TMJordan
01-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Chela will win this, most likley 4 sets.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Really? I find it slightly pleasant. When Andre used to play, I'd get twisted into knots watching him. My stomach would jump, my pulse would race. Now I find a similar thing happening when Rafa plays. It's kind of nice for me to watch a match and not be chewing my nails over who was going to win. Of course, I'm obviously a sick, demented person, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

:lol: I do that don't worry. Its 3 o'clock in the morning and I'm wishing I could scream and shout at the tv, but can't because everyone else is asleep. Its certainly nerve wracking, but also amazing and emotional.

I dunno I just find matches where I'm not interested in who wins kinda boring, but its not like that happens often (i like or dislike most players lol).

blank_frackis
01-20-2007, 01:09 AM
I think Murray will win as his form has been good recently. I noticed a few people were giving him stick in the last round, but without seeing too much of that match (first set and a half) I thought it was the correct way to play as Verdasco is the sort of player who beats himself, so there's no need to pull out winners every shot. If I played Verdasco I would just keep the ball in play and watch him rack up his unforced errors. In saying that his first serve percentage will have to improve against Chela and Nadal if it comes to that.

Bremen
01-20-2007, 03:44 AM

I totally agree. I feel exactly the same when Roger Plays..no matter if he is in the first round or the final. It's terrible!

Anyway...am I blind or is Murray's match not on the schedule for this day at the open? Is there something I don't know?

Peacemaster
01-20-2007, 03:59 AM
I totally agree. I feel exactly the same when Roger Plays..no matter if he is in the first round or the final. It's terrible!

Anyway...am I blind or is Murray's match not on the schedule for this day at the open? Is there something I don't know?

Got this off the BBC:

MARGARET COURT ARENA

Florian Mayer (Ger) v Tommy Haas (Ger, 12)
Ashley Harkleroad (US) v Daniela Hantuchova (Svk, 15)
Vera Zvonareva (Rus, 22) v Ana Ivanovic (Ser, 13)

Not before 0830 GMT:

Andy Murray (GB, 15) v Juan Ignacio Chela (Arg)

scoobs
01-20-2007, 04:01 AM
They've taken the match off the schedule since, if you check the AO website.

Whether it's cancelled today or will be put on Rod Laver after Nadal is unclear.

Peacemaster
01-20-2007, 04:05 AM
They've taken the match off the schedule since, if you check the AO website.

Whether it's cancelled today or will be put on Rod Laver after Nadal is unclear.

I know they have, but they use MCA as the make-up court, in case of weather breaks. Although, that is odd since, as far as I know, it doesn't have a roof.

scoobs
01-20-2007, 04:06 AM
Well they can't do that if MCA is rained off.

Bremen
01-20-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Peacemaster
01-20-2007, 04:22 AM
They just said on ESPN that it may be scheduled in RLA or VF late evening. There is, apparently, also a possiblity of it being moved to Sunday.

scoobs
01-20-2007, 04:27 AM
Accordingly to the revised (again) schedule, Murray-Chela is the only match now scheduled on MCA to begin at 7.30pm local time, weather permitting

It may also be put on late

Haas match has been postponed and Ivanovic moved to RLA.

Will just have to see if it gets played.

Metis
01-20-2007, 04:27 AM
The Ivanovic match has been scheduled for RLA, so maybe they will do Vodafone. Although there are 2 mens' matches to go which could take long. It makes sense to have the match today since the winner will face Nadal. It wouldn't be fair to have no extra day for rest...

LilyRoseAva
01-20-2007, 04:39 AM
yes maybe, but it's the same thing for the match berdych/tursunov and haas/mayer
but these matchs were cancelled

stroszek
01-20-2007, 04:40 AM
If Davydenko and Blake winin straight sets (possible), Murray-Chela could be on VA by around 9:30pm local time.

scoobs
01-20-2007, 04:40 AM
but then neither gets an unfair advantage of extra rest as they will both play the same day anyway - it's equally unfair - they do try and get match pairs done on the same day for that reason.

scoobs
01-20-2007, 05:10 AM
Latest word is that Murray's match is moved to Vodafone, last on, and could be very late given how slow the schedule is moving there.

All outside court matches have now been cancelled for the day.

bad gambler
01-20-2007, 05:36 AM
I think Murray may struggle tonight, but this match being moved to the Fonebox should help him

scoobs
01-20-2007, 05:38 AM
I think moving indoors favours Murray but it depends how he plays in the lateness of the hour - I think he'll be out there long past midnight.

Allez
01-20-2007, 05:42 AM
I'm no fan of Chela's but I smell a serious upset here...

Ferrero Forever
01-20-2007, 05:49 AM
Chela will win. I saw Murray's match against Verdasco, and to me there seems to be nothing special about his game. Murray could not hold his serve at all, and to be honest that match bored me to death (even Verdasco bored me during that match, and I'm a fan of his.) Vamos Chela!!!

TMJordan
01-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Chela will win people.

kundalini
01-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Chela will win. I saw Murray's match against Verdasco, and to me there seems to be nothing special about his game. Murray could not hold his serve at all, and to be honest that match bored me to death (even Verdasco bored me during that match, and I'm a fan of his.) Vamos Chela!!!

Murray played to a game plan. He possesses a wide variety of shots but does not necessarily use all of them in any one match. You are correct in your assessment of his serve but he is one of the top 3 returners in the game according to the ATP stats.

jenanun
01-20-2007, 07:17 AM
chela...

Auscon
01-20-2007, 08:18 AM
I think this one will be pretty close, Chela will be a hard beat