Andy Roddick def. Marat Safin 7/6 2/6 6/4 7/6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Roddick def. Marat Safin 7/6 2/6 6/4 7/6

El Legenda
01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
:wavey:

Marat is a head case, if anyone didnt know :)

scarecrows
01-19-2007, 11:07 AM
good performance from Andy
he's volleying rather well

Wojtek
Fucking shit :(:(:(:(

darnyelb
Roddick channeled God in this match... he was that good. Wow.

Billabong
01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Marat:sad:

Regenbogen
:worship:

Roddick had a freaking backhand :eek:

El Legenda
good performance from Andy
he's volleying rather well

about a min later than my thread :rolleyes: ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Marat and his useless TB's :rolleyes:

that 1st set ****up cost him :cuckoo:

scarecrows
about a min later than my thread :rolleyes: ;)

just 2 seconds sucker :o

El Legenda

just because Dick said he did, it doesnt mean he did....he made most of his errors on the BH and sliced it most of the time.

FedererGrandSlam
01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Yes go Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fadou
01-19-2007, 11:09 AM
no comment
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

mickymouse
01-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Safin was too inconsistent.

Wojtek
01-19-2007, 11:10 AM

marat has better beckhand

scoobs
01-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Smartest set of tennis I have ever seen from Andy Roddick in that fourth set.

He kept his game and his emotions under tight control while Safin raged - he didn't get fazed and he kept his serve wrapped up and then struck in the tiebreak.

He played a terrific match and that's a very good win for him.

Safin - too up and down - flashes of brilliance, flashes of fire, flashes of crap...the usual mixed bag. But the more solid player won.

Regenbogen
just because Dick said he did, it doesnt mean he did....he made most of his errors on the BH and sliced it most of the time.

Heck, he held his own in BH to BH rallies with Safin, which I thought would be a disaster. Good enough for me :lol:

leng jai
Thats about the best Arod can play.. also very nice net play. Seems that he can volley now for real.

ljubicic_
good luck Roddick in the quarter final

Fergie
Marat :bigcry:

Guybrush
Great! At least now 99% of forum posts will not be about Safin. :p

It will be a nice match between Andy and Mario. Hopefully Mario can win it! :yeah:

Good? You mean bad? :yawn:

Sandra
01-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Great :D Bye bye AO for me :wavey: Damn it, round 3 only :bigcry:

musefanatic
Oh well done Andy, oh no i'm supposed to be really gutted for Safin, i think sandra might cry :lol: Noooo marat!!!! :sad: Shame for him :sad:

scarecrows

Ancic will not play in round 4??

Kalliopeia
01-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Marat. :sad:

Great match. Marat looked kind of exhausted there at the end. Which isn't surprising.

I'm depressed now though.

Regenbogen

Never said it wasn't. I'm simply surprised that Roddick could do something with his.

TheBoiledEgg

Ancic is useless vs Duck
0-4

he might as well as not turn up :rolleyes: :mad:

marcelwks
01-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Great performance by Roddick . Don't mess with Andy :D

Adler
In this kind of matches I expect 2 things : emotions and good game. Today there was only the first of those two. Marat was spraying forehands, backhands, everything, while Roddick was just keeping the ball in play. Add some aces and you got that match

pity there was no 5th set, it would be interesting to watch such thing

ljubicic_
Good? You mean bad? :yawn:]

right, i meant good luck Roddick in the 4th round

Dimitra
:sad: :sobbing: :tears:

Ancic-Roddick will be very interesting though!:devil:

MariaV
:wavey:

Marat is a head case, if anyone didnt know :)

:haha: Ducky, yeah that's a breaking news to his fans. :haha: :wavey: :crazy:

its.like.that
01-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm sick of the 'Dick

:(

Voo de Mar
Safin can't play tie-breaks against A-Rod and this is the main reason of this defeat.

bellascarlett
Marat and his useless TB's :rolleyes:

that 1st set ****up cost him :cuckoo:

Exactly. That 1st set :fiery: Oaf...:rolleyes:

But he put up a fight so still good on him. And his remark about the guy with the tie, his cigar, and his two chicks...:haha: Marat, you're the best! :lol: You just suck in tiebreaks! :ras:

I so wanted Marat to win to shut Pmac up...next time I guess. next time...:o

Anyway, Congrats Andy. Well played.

Washa Koroleva
:mad: :fiery:

peteroger
01-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Played too safe the whole match
too safe forehand and backhand grd stroke, rarely at net, rarely change the pace, not to mention all similar second serves and so many loose points at the lead of 1st set

Anyway, lost big money on him, but still love his personality, always fun watching him play

ljubicic_
01-19-2007, 11:16 AM

He won't have a chance against Roddick, look at the head 2 head

tochilka
01-19-2007, 11:17 AM
They both played great!
Somebody there expected it to be in straight sets or even with baggle..no way)fantastic perfomance..may be Roddick was the way luckier with the net accidents

asotgod
01-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Credit to Roddick for doing what was necessary. Safin just showed why he may most likely not win any slams. He just tried time after time to break Roddick's backhand but most times could not. Many times, he had the opportunity to go up the line flat and fast but instead kept going crosscourt. So Roddick obliged and took it down the line most times with Safin automatically put on the back foot. That redundant game he keeps playing wont work. He kept wating for Roddick to take the initiative. Many times, Roddick did and even when Roddick did not, Roddick pretty much tried to force him to take the initiative by slices deep, disrupting Safin's rhythm and also neutralizing the pace on Safin's shorts. At a particular time, it actually seemed like Roddick's shots had more pace.

Also, Roddick did a great job mixing up his serve but if Roddick had played this kind of game against Nalby, he would have lost easily. Many of those stupid slices would have been taking down the line or extremely sharp crosscourt by Nalby. I think Safin has great touch, power and talent but is not necessarily a great thinker on court. He needs to seriously revamp his strategy and be more controlled-aggressive and not just keep waiting to break people's backhand.

Much as I dont like Roddick and his behavior, he was the better player and really deserved the win.

Guybrush
01-19-2007, 11:19 AM

H2H means NOTHING. The current form does. ;)

I think Mario has very good chances against Andy. ;)

Voo de Mar
01-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Tie-break will be the key... If Mario will win tie-break in the 1st or 2nd set, he could overcome Andy.

J. Corwin
01-19-2007, 11:22 AM
andy's the man, smoking his powerbong from kooyong :smoke:

:banana:

theexpress
Congratulations to the Andy Roddick Express Train, he was awesome! He is my favorite player, and I am so happy today that he won. I am sure he will not have any problems against Ancic, and now I seem him going all the way to the final.

njorker
Yeah, poor Marat... :sad:

But GREAT JOB, ANDY! :banana:

On a different note, bcoz it was Marat, I think people tend to shrug off his BS antics about the court being wet etc. I was actually smiling the whole time he was complaining about the court. Only Marat could do that and get away with it, only a few people booed him for that antic. :devil:

mariana.ml
totally agree with you, peteroger...he played tooooooooooo safe, he should have been more agressive.
And...wtf happened to his second serve????

Viken01
01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
safin was not playing really well but i must admit roddick was impressive... so well done andy :)

dorkino
01-19-2007, 11:23 AM
It was a top quality match. i guess the best so far in the tourney.
:clap2: High performance from both players. consistency and solid nerves took the lead in determining who the winner was.

Can't believe i am saying this, but Roddick played wonderfully.He was almostly dictating the kind of playing in the fourth set. Big credit to coach Connors for the change ofcourse.

Safin , good match indeed ,with flashes of intelligence but he lost concentration in the fourth set.
And About the :rain: issue, Safin couldn't believe it 'd take u all those blah blah -head case -discussions man :banghead:

Pascal Maria was funny and kept his good guy attitude till the end. ;)

idolwatcher1
01-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Andy!! :D I had a feeling he would win! :cool:

Guybrush
01-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Congratulations to the Andy Roddick Express Train, he was awesome! He is my favorite player, and I am so happy today that he won. I am sure he will not have any problems against Ancic, and now I seem him going all the way to the final.

No way, Fedex is in the top part of the draw. Andy can go max to the SF, not more. :o

mickymouse
Tie-break will be the key... If Mario will win tie-break in the 1st or 2nd set, he could overcome Andy.

True. In the past that was how Hewitt handled Roddick...by making sure he holds his own serve so that he has a chance in a tiebreak. Ancic will have to stay very focussed and not have lapses like Safin cos' after Roddick breaks you, he's not going to give you back the break.

AnnaK_4ever
Big congrats, Andy! :)
Very, very soild tennis and smart play despite second set blow-out and some awful misses on break-points.
Andy's backhand has definitely improved a lot. He completely outplayed Marat from this wing which, I guess, was unexpected.
The other side, Marat did try his best, it just wasn't enough to beat player of Roddick's level.

Overall, the player with better serve, better groundies, better volleys, better tactics and better attitude won. Good luck, Andy, against Ancic! :drive:

bellascarlett
Credit to Roddick for doing what was necessary. Safin just showed why he may most likely not win any slams. He just tried time after time to break Roddick's backhand but most times could not. Many times, he had the opportunity to go up the line flat and fast but instead kept going crosscourt. So Roddick obliged and took it down the line most times with Safin automatically put on the back foot. That redundant game he keeps playing wont work. He kept wating for Roddick to take the initiative. Many times, Roddick did and even when Roddick did not, Roddick pretty much tried to force him to take the initiative by slices deep, disrupting Safin's rhythm and also neutralizing the pace on Safin's shorts. At a particular time, it actually seemed like Roddick's shots had more pace.

Exactly my complaint about Marat's play tonight. Couldn't gather the guts to take risks. He won't win that way. :smash:

trixtah

yeah because you know, head to heads from two years ago mean everything

Mistaflava
as expected, the better player won

mangoes
01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Very, very good match from Andy. I'm glad I stayed up for it. There were some nice moments from Safin. Overall, great match. Now, I'm off to work and I need lots of coffee...........

bluesky_rachel
01-19-2007, 11:29 AM
andy played better imo.congrats andy!

Foxy Smile
01-19-2007, 11:30 AM
:bigcry: THere is no Santa

Deea
01-19-2007, 11:30 AM
It was too much pressure for Marat..this was one wacky match...he was too pissed off to get his shit together and focus in that last tie-break :sobbing: :sobbing:

williaer
01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Oh Andy I love youuuuuuuuuuu...
What a great match. So entertaining and well played.

Guybrush
01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
yeah because you know, head to heads from two years ago mean everything

Exactly what I've said to him. ;)

If Andy beats Mario it will do it because he will play better in that match, not because of some old h2h. :rolleyes:

Foxy Smile
01-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Good luck to Andy. He was good.

Broomie
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Deserved win from Andy.
Marat was WAY too passive. I think his strategy was not the best.
Roddick really took his chances and tried to provoke things.
And Marat had much problems securing breaks. That 1st set could have been his, but no, he wanted to have a TB instead. He sucked in TB, and Roddick was solid. Sure he had some flashes of brilliance, but they didn't get him the match.
The FH was much better that the 2 previous round, and his game as well. If he was to lose today, it had to be in 4, so that he keeps his 5-setters record perfect. :lol:
Good luck to Andy anyway.

And that mess about the lines, I did understand him, he had so many injuries, you can't blame him for being cautious.

Golfnduck
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Great match from Andy :yeah: These two always have great matches. Safin showed flashes of greatness, but he let his temper get the best of him. Andy had an overall game going today, which is a huge step for him.

Henry Chinaski
01-19-2007, 11:35 AM
safin paid the price for his poor performances in the first 2 rounds. he was out on his feet at the end.

MilMilCho
01-19-2007, 11:35 AM
If Safin took more risks, played more aggressively, he might have lost even earlier, becuz he isnt in a very good form.
Playing safe worked for him in the first 2 sets,
as for the first set, dunno how he lost it, he was up one break.
Roddick kind of knew how to deal with him in the end,
playin safe didnt work him anymore, but he kept playin that way
so he lost. But its still great to see Roddick win,
just think that its not like Safin didnt have a chance

Regenbogen
01-19-2007, 11:36 AM

He could possibly not even need that...Roddick played some horrible service games in that 2nd set.

Ancic has been playing well, and it ought to be a close match.

Meeek
01-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Marat played better than before thank God, and I don't think it's all that bad. A pity he lost ofcourse, but he didn't lose in a hopeless way.
He had his chances. Frustrating he didn't convert, but it happened.

Good win for Andy, I hope he gets far! :yeah:

Deathless Mortal
01-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Sorry for Marat :(

Jimnik
01-19-2007, 11:38 AM
That was an incredible match - by far the highest quality tennis we've seen this year. The only thing it lacked was a 5th set.

The power with which these guys were striking the ball, especially in the first set, was unbelievable. I'm surprised that neither of them broke a string. Both players were evenly matched in all areas but Andy just managed to win more important points.

I know it's already been said many time but it really is such a shame that this had to be a 3rd round contest. It was worthy of a semi-final, at least.

zimzim
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Roddick erased every doubt I had about him as a tennis player with this performance. He was pure class:yeah:

Liverpool4ever
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Safin was not aggressive enough and Roddick has now become a better player. He is the better move, has the better forehand, serve, volleys, strategy and slice. The only categories that Safin has him outdone is the backhand and the return. Safin served incredibly well and that kept him in the match, because once they had a rally Roddick was always the favourite to win it.

cobalt60
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
This is nice news to wake up too:)

almouchie
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
safin made the more unforced errors
& it cost him
it sucks losing 2 tiebreaks in a match like this
roddick impressed me with his cool, & solid play
his net game definitely improving, his touch & volleys
just hope he uses them if he plays federer later

Mrs. B
01-19-2007, 11:48 AM
andy's the man, smoking his powerbong from kooyong :smoke:

smoked it from a didgeridoo! :lol:

Andy was focused today and played the points well. Marat was... :scratch:

silverarrows
01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Marat!!! *cry* The BETTER player of the match won. :cool: Andy's BH and volleys has improved a lot. Well done, Andy. ;)

Fed will be waiting for you in the semis. :p

jenanun
01-19-2007, 11:51 AM
i dont expect safin to win....

well done andy :yeah:

Fumus
01-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Random comments:

1- Andy look for the serve up the middle on bps, all your opponents know that you wait in your bh grip, it happened in the indy final(which you know you should have won) and it happened here. I am just glad you snuck out of it.
2- Stop with the drop shots, those weren't any good and you just pulled out the dropper as a brain cramp in long rallies. Andy by god if you do drop shot make the pass!!
3- This was probably the worst line calling I have ever seen in a match...ever, Andy said it too at the end of the match the calls were just terrible. Something has to change the chairs/linespeople can't be lax on calls because they know the players can challenge.

The match:
Well played by Andy, I was worried in the second set/third when Andy inexplicably stopped serving and volling. I was literally scream at the tv(just like I was every bp when Andy didn't cover the T...Andy never listents). Andy however, knew something about the backcourt matchup that I didn't and suddendly towards the end of 3rd and 4th set Andy started to win the rallies from the back of the court. WTF!? Roddick out hitting Safin? It appeared so. That and Andy's first serve perecentage which was awful in the 1st and second set picked up.

Overall:
It was a fun match to watch but it was poorly played at some key points by Safin. Definitly a re-watcher when it re-airs.

Super-Fabio
01-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Marat :sad:

RonE
01-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Well played Andy :yeah:

For me the big thing in that fourth set was how Andy composed himself throughout all the madness that was going on between Safin and Pascal and McKewan. I was really almost expecting andy to cave in after missing so many break point opportunities and let his guard down but he just kept going and I must say I am impressed.

I must admit towards the middle and end of the fourth set I was 100% rooting for Andy. I love Marat and his game and technically there is still no question he is far superior to Roddick but I have just had enough of his whining. I also had enough of how he just slides in and out of focus plays great one second and then plays like a hack.

I know people will say that is the way he is and he won't change and that is true. You cannot change your basic character. BUT:

Since I am in danger of breaking one of MTF's holiest of rules (i.e. criticizing Safin) I will tread lightly: you cannot expect to play like s**t, put yourself in dodgy situations and then raise your tennis and expect it to happen for you time and time again. That is what he has been doing in his last two matches (and it seems in almost every signle match he plays as of late) before today and frankly I am rather sick of these Houdini-like escapes. If you play with fire too often you will get burned and rightly so. That is not to say Andy didn't play his part- he played some scorching tennis in decisive moments and deserves credit for it but overall I still feel Marat is the better player technically but frankly with his attitude he just didn't deserve to win today.

End of rant, I needed to get that out of my system.

belgampaul
01-19-2007, 12:04 PM
i liked a lot the match, very competitive right from the beginning.
I've not seen the end of the 3rd and the 4th set, but IMHO Marat played
very much better than expected and should have won the 1 st set.
But why he's not consistent??? I guess he just can't hold his nerve.

You just see how he's under pressure after any break made by him.
he just can't impose his authority.

All credited to Andy. A waaay better bh than he used to have.

Marat produced some solid service games

Really enjoyable match

Golfnduck
01-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I agree with you RonE. Marat is the better technical player, but he losses matches because of his behavior. Also, Andy has improved greatly since August and is becoming a better technical player.

AnnaK_4ever
01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree with you RonE. Marat is the better technical player, but he losses matches because of his behavior. Also, Andy has improved greatly since August and is becoming a better technical player.

Wake up! Marat HAS BEEN the better technical player. Now he is not. Andy's footwork is better, his strokes are more fluid and with better depth but the most important thing is that he takes the ball early.

RonE
01-19-2007, 12:15 PM
I think Safin has great touch, power and talent but is not necessarily a great thinker on court. He needs to seriously revamp his strategy and be more controlled-aggressive and not just keep waiting to break people's backhand.

Mats Wilander actually said something very interesting about that during the match: he said Safin is a player who relies more on instinct and he only really thinks when he is emotionally involved in the match. Because he goes through patches in his match in which his emotional involvement is non existant his instincts fail him and then he just disintegrates. But he is a very intelligent player and the problem for him is keeping his emotional involvement on an even keel throughout a match. When you are constantly involved emotionally it forces you to think and you are aware of things and are aware of what changes you need to make in critical junctures in a match.

He really summed Marat's situation up perfectly and so he should since he probably knows him better than just about anyone and he knows what makes him tick.

oz_boz
01-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Congrats to Andy for showing great composure. He never really lost the plot, even after going down two breaks he regained one just as if to prove that he wouldn't let this match go away easily. As far as I could see, improved volley and also bh, which helped him hang with Safin in the rallies in set 3&4 until Marat shanked. Still some bad approaches and a few missed passing shots, but nothing major.

Marat, still a headcase, and all the whining in the world can't win him any match. Roddick won and much deservedly so, Safin even couldn't outplay him in baseline duels at the end. Some signs still left of a champion, clutch serving on a few occasions, but couldn't keep it toghether in the end.

gulzhan
01-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Played too safe the whole match
too safe forehand and backhand grd stroke, rarely at net, rarely change the pace, not to mention all similar second serves and so many loose points at the lead of 1st set

Anyway, lost big money on him, but still love his personality, always fun watching him play

i agree, they BOTH played too safe but it was for andy's benefit :(

roddick clearly added in patience, return and passing shots....

safin did not expect that from roddick and should have changed the strategy, become more agressive, take more risk... but maybe he could not :sad:

They both played great!
Somebody there expected it to be in straight sets or even with baggle..no way)fantastic perfomance..may be Roddick was the way luckier with the net accidents

i am very happy that marat put up a good fight and lost with a decent score. if match went to the 5th set, anything could happen. i wish he had more courage and mmmh.. enjoyed tennis more :o

i think the umpire had an outrageous behavior, which is not a surprise. pascal maria always tries to get on marat's nerves, delieberately. changing the call on serve in the remoted side!!!! marat just can't mmmh.. hide his attitude to suspicious umpires..

but i agree that marat's outbursts are harmful for his game :sad: he knows that and i wish he learnt how to control them.... after all, he is not a sagitarius as mitya tursunov :lol:

great match, marat! keep up working and you'll have better matches ahead!

Donny
01-19-2007, 12:27 PM
:hatoff: to Andy.

Never has he been so self-assured (read: not cocky, but confident).

Kristine_cy
01-19-2007, 12:29 PM
MARAT!!! :sad: :crying2:
I was actually smiling the whole time he was complaining about the court. Only Marat could do that and get away with it, only a few people booed him for that antic. :devil:
:o Me too.

merce
01-19-2007, 12:30 PM
well done Andy

good match from Safin

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Marat :rolleyes: Maybe one day you can just play a tennis match without anything else involved, I somehow doubt it though :lol:

Anyway congrats to Roddick, he deserved to win and showed a much greater attitude out there.

Jogy
01-19-2007, 12:39 PM
congrat Andy!

but it was fun with Marat! served well in important points to undo many breakpoints of Roddick

I hope Safin is uninjured for long time now and that he finds his best tennis again and will to work hard, because he is one of few players who can whipp Federer bloody on court :yeah:

RonE
01-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Wake up! Marat HAS BEEN the better technical player. Now he is not. Andy's footwork is better, his strokes are more fluid and with better depth but the most important thing is that he takes the ball early.

With all due respect to Andy's improvements, and he has made some TREMENDOUS improvements, Marat's movement is still a lot smoother, he has better rythm on the groundies- that bakchand of his is perfection personified the way he plants his right foot and hits through the hips. Andy's backhand still leave much to be desired. Even though Andy's serve seems to be more effective, Marat's motion and technique is still better, so I still maintain from the technical aspect Safin is still superior to Roddick.

Golfnduck
01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I am awake, thank you very much. Andy is my favorite player by far, and is technical game has vastly improved. However, I would not say that he is better than Marat. When Marat does not have his head 6 feet up his ass, he plays amazing. Andy and Marat have always had great matches because they bring out the best in each other. This match, Andy was the better technical player.

GermanBoy
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Not a 5-setter? :sad:

I am fine with Andy having won as I like both and both are extremely hot.

The match was just too early in the tournament, should have been the final!

Fumus
01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
With all due respect to Andy's improvements, and he has made some TREMENDOUS improvements, Marat's movement is still a lot smoother, he has better rythm on the groundies- that bakchand of his is perfection personified the way he plants his right foot and hits through the hips. Andy's backhand still leave much to be desired. Even though Andy's serve seems to be more effective, Marat's motion and technique is still better, so I still maintain from the technical aspect Safin is still superior to Roddick.

First of all Ron, I hate your avatars, I always have. Seriously man grow up.

2- Safin's serve better than Roddicks. :rolleyes: Safin's serve is good, but Roddick's is legendary. Roddick's forehand is far superier to Safins, that's why he loses alot in this matchup because Roddick powers his forehand into Safin's forehand and then he munches.

For Safin...
Movement yes, Backhand yes.

Most of all, Roddick holds serve easier than Safin does, and that's what counts. That's why Safin got beat today.

RonE
01-19-2007, 01:17 PM
First of all Ron, I hate your avatars, I always have. Seriously man grow up.

First of all, talk to the hand. I couldn't care less what you do or do not like.

2- Safin's serve better than Roddicks. :rolleyes: Safin's serve is good, but Roddick's is legendary. Roddick's forehand is far superier to Safins, that's why he loses alot in this matchup because Roddick powers his forehand into Safin's forehand and then he munches.

For Safin...
Movement yes, Backhand yes.

Most of all, Roddick holds serve easier than Safin does, and that's what counts. That's why Safin got beat today.

The problem with Safin's forehand is his footwork- there are times when he gets lazy and hits it with an open stance and this reduces its eficiency. However, on a day when he gets it right and moves well to that side that forehand is a monster. While Andy undoubtadely hit some huge FH's towards the end of the thrd and fourth sets overall his technique on that side still leaves something to be desired- he sometimes hits it with too much top and not enough penetration and there were times he netted many forehands or hit the net cord with them. His forehand is sometimes deadly but not 100% dependable still.

Most of all, Roddick held serve easier because he kept his focus and concentration better than Safin and that is ultimately why he won and Marat lost. He hit the smart shots in the crucial junctures and came up with the goods when he needed to.

EDIT: Re Safin's serve- I never said it was the bigger weapon of the two compared to Andy's serve- I said his technique on the service motion is a lot SMOOTHER- and generally it is more fluid and still very deadly when it is on.

*Viva Chile*
01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Marat :bigcry: you made me to wake up at 05:30 am only to see that match :sobbing:

I'm really :sad:

Anyway Rodduck made a good game ;)

Beat
01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
:bigcry:

BgStallion
01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
ahm Safin fell and hurt his hand - it was all down hill from there :) He was too inconsistent atleast from what I saw in the first 3 sets. Roddick played great though :) A nice match indeed

AnnaK_4ever
01-19-2007, 01:32 PM

I am awake, thank you very much. Andy is my favorite player by far, and is technical game has vastly improved. However, I would not say that he is better than Marat. When Marat does not have his head 6 feet up his ass, he plays amazing. Andy and Marat have always had great matches because they bring out the best in each other. This match, Andy was the better technical player.

When Marat... If Marat... It was long time ago.

As for now Marat is rather slow player who is helpless when he needs to play low bouncing balls, who takes the ball too late to play agressive, whose shots land short most of time, whose backhand is nowhere near it used to be - could you remember a single winner of Safin from BH DTL (except couple of passing shots) in today's match? All three players he met at the Australian Open played faster than him.
Of course Marat is still good player but neither great, amazing, nor majors contender.

gillian
01-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Marat. :sad:

Great match. Marat looked kind of exhausted there at the end. Which isn't surprising.

I'm depressed now though.

You and me both my friend, you and me both.

jazar
01-19-2007, 02:34 PM
roddick didnt beat safin. safin beat safin. its all in his head and if he sorts that out he will beat everybody

Rogiman
01-19-2007, 02:35 PM
:bigwave: Crapin!

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
roddick didnt beat safin. safin beat safin. its all in his head and if he sorts that out he will beat everybody

False.

RonE
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
:bigwave: Crapin!

I take it you're not too disappointed you won't get to feast on duck tonight? ;)

jazar
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
False.

and why would that be?

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Safin's movement on court is finishing him. He was never really fast on court and it's even worse. You could see that every point was just Roddick trying to make Safin run, then Safin got late to a couple of balls and had to go for a winner or a defensive stance. Meanwhile, Roddick was moving very well all around the court, only adding to Safin's limited mobility nowadays.

AnnaK_4ever
01-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Wow... :eek:

It's either sarcasm or :bs:

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2007, 02:41 PM
and why would that be?

Federer is better than him.

Rogiman
01-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I take it you're not too disappointed you won't get to feast on duck tonight? ;)I'm still moved by Shahar's amazing character, the elimination of the overrated russian is just the icing :)

jazar
01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Federer is better than him.

i know that, i was just trying to emphasise the point.

safin isnt that much different from when he won the Ao in 2005, he has the shots to hurt anybody, but its useless him having them unless he has the mental application and however hard he tries, he always seems to have something wrong in his head

RonE
01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Safin's movement on court is finishing him. He was never really fast on court and it's even worse. You could see that every point was just Roddick trying to make Safin run, then Safin got late to a couple of balls and had to go for a winner or a defensive stance. Meanwhile, Roddick was moving very well all around the court, only adding to Safin's limited mobility nowadays.

Actually Glenn, before Marat had the knee problems he was moving exceptionally well. Especially for a guy his size he is very quick and nimble.

Even today, Roddick tried to hit a few dropshots Marat was on to them in a flash. His reaction and foot speed were not so much the problem- it was what he was doing when he got to the ball: i.e. shifting the feet into the right position before making contact and that caused him to mishit many a ball.

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
i know that, i was just trying to emphasise the point.

safin isnt that much different from when he won the Ao in 2005, he has the shots to hurt anybody, but its useless him having them unless he has the mental application and however hard he tries, he always seems to have something wrong in his head

Are you forgettin' on purpose that Safin can't move like he used to? He's gettin' to the balls late and/or barely moving to hit some balls, producing errors in balls that were supposed to be easy strokes.

BlakeJamitis
I have never ever seen Andy play this well ... he gets a wow from me too.

Warrior
I expected that. But the surprising part of the result is that Roddick won both tiebreaks.

RonE
I'm still moved by Shahar's amazing character, the elimination of the overrated russian is just the icing :)

Oh man that was gutsy! I really thought Golovin had her on the ropes but she was as solid as a rock and never panicked even when she faced those match points :worship:

GlennMirnyi
01-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Actually Glenn, before Marat had the knee problems he was moving exceptionally well. Especially for a guy his size he is very quick and nimble.

Even today, Roddick tried to hit a few dropshots Marat was on to them in a flash. His reaction and foot speed were not so much the problem- it was what he was doing when he got to the ball: i.e. shifting the feet into the right position before making contact and that caused him to mishit many a ball.

You're seriously using Roddick's dropshots as examples? :p :lol:

NYCtennisfan
01-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Roddick is a different player out there these days.

1. Whlle his BH is not quite a consistent weapon, he can hit it consistently deep and not give mid-court puffballs to his opponent. In years past, he would always give up one of these short balls in a BH-BH exchange and that's what Marat was looking for last night. He didn't get too many.

2. Roddick's return of the 2nd serve is becoming a weapon. When Safin missed a first serve, you could feel the pressure he was under. Good deep returns followed by trips to the net will make anyone nervous.

3. Safin's previous encounters with Roddick made him play passively in this one. He was used to Roddick giving up the easy ball off of the BH and waited and waited for it all night. He should have been more aggressive after the first set when he saw that the Arod BH was not going to break down and give away points and/or easy balls to smack.

Overall a well played match. Safin was a whole lot better than he was against Sela or Becker and most of last year. Arod just stepped it up.

cobalt60
I'm still moved by Shahar's amazing character, the elimination of the overrated russian is just the icing :)

I know I am stoked for her :banana:

RonE
I expected that. But the surprising part of the result is that Roddick won both tiebreaks.

Not really. While his tiebreak record in general as of late hasn't been much to write home about going into this match today he was 6-2 in tiebreaks against Safin.

jazar
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Are you forgettin' on purpose that Safin can't move like he used to? He's gettin' to the balls late and/or barely moving to hit some balls, producing errors in balls that were supposed to be easy strokes.

the movement is partially a mental thing as well as i guess he has lost some confidence in his movement after having the operations on his legs.

i'm not saying that if he moved as well as he used to and sorted his mental problems out he would go round winning every match. but he does have the potential to beat almost anyone, he just needs to recreate the frame of mind he had when winning the big tournaments and slams

Rogiman
01-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Oh man that was gutsy! I really thought Golovin had her on the ropes but she was as solid as a rock and never panicked even when she faced those match points :worship:By far the best athlete to have been raised in our country (and please don't mention fringe events no one cares about like surfing :rolleyes:), I can't believe how tough she is!
All credit to her parents, had it been up to our tennis association she would have been yet another loser....

RonE
01-19-2007, 02:54 PM

1. Whlle his BH is not quite a consistent weapon, he can hit it consistently deep and not give mid-court puffballs to his opponent. In years past, he would always give up one of these short balls in a BH-BH exchange and that's what Marat was looking for last night. He didn't get too many.

2. Roddick's return of the 2nd serve is becoming a weapon. When Safin missed a first serve, you could feel the pressure he was under. Good deep returns followed by trips to the net will make anyone nervous.

3. Safin's previous encounters with Roddick made him play passively in this one. He was used to Roddick giving up the easy ball off of the BH and waited and waited for it all night. He should have been more aggressive after the first set when he saw that the Arod BH was not going to break down and give away points and/or easy balls to smack.

Overall a well played match. Safin was a whole lot better than he was against Sela or Becker and most of last year. Arod just stepped it up.

Word. Great summary :yeah:

Just to add to your first point on the BH- not only is Roddick hitting the topspin backhand with more authority but I noticed today he was varying his backhand a lot, using the slice occassionally and also throwing in the low backhand down the line slice against Safin to bring him to the net and then pass him. This is something Federer has always done exceptionally well against Safin and other players too so it was most interesting to see Roddick employ this tactic and employ it successfully!

Rogiman
01-19-2007, 02:55 PM
I know I am stoked for her :banana:I don't even know whether I should be cheering for her or not, judging by her character and stamina there's nothing israeli about her :lol:

She's a rather sweet girl, though.

RonE
01-19-2007, 02:57 PM
All credit to her parents, had it been up to our tennis association she would have been yet another loser....

Yes thas true. We had a rather painful discussion about this the other day after Dudi's loss :bigcry:

Rogiman
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Yes thas true. We had a rather painful discussion about this the other day after Dudi's loss :bigcry:No disrespect for Dudi, but in his case I don't think he could have become a serious player anyway, he might have been a good junior player, but with his size, and without the talent of Coria or Rochus, he's hopeless.

cobalt60
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Yes thas true. We had a rather painful discussion about this the other day after Dudi's loss :bigcry:

I read that:awww: BTW good luck with your surgery.

RonE
01-19-2007, 03:06 PM
No disrespect for Dudi, but in his case I don't think he could have become a serious player anyway, he might have been a good junior player, but with his size, and without the talent of Coria or Rochus, he's hopeless.

Same can be said for Harel Levy and Noam Okun who seem to have ok solid all round games but who lack any real weapons :shrug:

EDIT: I thought Cmurray was MTF's champion thread derailer but we're doing a pretty good job of it ourselves ;)

Merton
01-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Andy :hatoff: Now that he found his game in this tournament the challenge is to keep his level up for the next round. I felt that the first set tie-break was crucial, it was important phsycologically to take the lead. Marat raised his level relative to the first two rounds but it was not enough.

Balerion
01-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Beaten Safin Calls Officials Pathetic (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlenews.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=2007-01-19T142018Z_01_L19346386_RTRIDST_0_TENNIS-OPEN-SAFIN-UPDATE-1-PICTURE.XML&WTmodLoc=Tennis-C1-Headline-2)

Sour grapes....

The combustible Russian's anger boiled over as he blasted tournament referee Wayne McKewen for making him play on what he considered was a wet surface following a rain interruption.

"They have been so pathetic on this subject. It was a joke," the 2005 champion told reporters.

"I really am just so disappointed that people are so blind, they don't want to see anything...it's a nonsense for me.

"Nobody cleaned the outside of the court.. it was really wet and I'm showing it to them. And the guys are saying, 'No, you have to play'. Why (do) I have to put my health in doubt?

Safin should be thankful that the rain excuse got him to the third round...if it wasn't for wet courts he never would have had the opportunity to play Roddick in the first place.

CooCooCachoo
01-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Andy played a good match. Safin was disappointing from the baseline and his obnoxious tantrum about a few drops of rain was despicable.

lau
01-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Oh well, at least Marat did better than last year :o :p
RonE, I agree with you. It was his first AO match I was able to watch completely and I felt he was slow compared to what he used to.
Anyway, congrats to Roddick´s fans on a great match, there´s no doubt the best one won. :)

R.Federer
01-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Andy played a great match! Marat, well, where are the fines when the superstars rumble so badly? I am still waiting for a headline on the AUS$ amount that he should be slapped with. Marat is generally self-abusing, but he really went like a mad man over there.

LoveFifteen
01-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Exactly what I've said to him. ;)

If Andy beats Mario it will do it because he will play better in that match, not because of some old h2h. :rolleyes:

It's pretty foolish to discount H2Hs entirely. They do have a psychological effect, at the very least.

guga2120
01-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Andy is playing great it seems almost certain he will play Federer in the Semis. It sucks though that Marat lost though. He choked away the first set, he should have won it.

tripb19
01-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Judging from this thread Safin is by far the most popular tennis player on this forum.

I didn't enjoy it as much as most people did because Marat was so timid and didn't play tactically well against the new, more solid Roddick. Good luck to Andy for the rest of the tourney though, because he's going to lose to Fed anyway :P

Bilbo
01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
expected win by roddick

ys
01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Excellent match by Roddick, very deserved victory. He was clearly outplaying Safin from the baseline all match long.. Something I would never imagine possible just few months ago.

Marat needs to get his baseline game back to have any say in this game.. For most of the match it looked like he did not have any power off the ground to bother Roddick.. I don't think I can remember a single down-the-line backhand winner ( apart from passing shots ) from Safin.. And that is supposed to be his major weapon.. He got outplayed even in backhand-to-backhand rallies..

Magus13
01-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Roddick really played well. His groundstrokes were the best I've seen from him. He was hitting corners during the rally's and did well at the net. As for Marat, he kept most his groundstrokes in the center of the court and rarely went for winners from the baseline especially from his forehand. His forehand was very weak today and let him down Finally "idiot moment of the match" Marat serving 4-4 in the third set 30 all. Hits a big serve returned short by Roddick to his forehand. Marat tries to play a forehand drop shot and it goes into the net. He gets broken and loses the third set. Good match, Roddick was the better player today. Hope he plays Fed.

pistolmarat
01-19-2007, 04:56 PM
A great match it was probably:(

asotgod
01-19-2007, 05:37 PM

On 1: Roddick's backhand seemed to hold better because Safin did not use his head while Rod used his. Too many opportunities for Safin to go flat down the line and go for his shot but he plays it passively crosscourt. Even the times he went down the line, he was not confident enough to go full out but wanted to get the ball in that there was too much space btn. the ball landing position and the line, unlike Roddick who went for it.

On 2: Roddick's return of serve seems better because Safin IMO does not have a great second serve. He never really had one IMO. Now before I get swallowed for that, what I mean is that Safin does not have enough variety on his second serve. I bet 95% of those serves were going to the Roddick backhand. So, Arod pretty much expected them. In fact, watching Safin's monotonous play reminded me of Nadal pretty much. If Safin had mixed up that second serve, despite how his mind was, he would have won at least another set. But Roddick knew where most, if not all, the second serves were going to that he pretty much had to decide what to do with it. What Arod did not know however was the kind of second serve, i.e., what kinda spin or kick or slice effect, etc, the serve may be coming with but it was made easier because Roddick uses a two hander and is able to better control the effect coming. Variation here is the key for Safin. If he had at least 30% more variation than he did today, I bet he would have won the match. As average as he was playing, he still got to 4.

3. Despite Safin getting used to Roddick, natural talent alone is not enough to win in tennis. You gotta add something new to it. Safin did not give Roddick something new to look at or think about. Roddick however gave Safin some things that were knew to think about.

Particularly impressive on Arod's side is the fact that he served and volleyed less. That, IMO, was probably one of the biggest keys to this win. This is because, if Roddick had S&V like he was against Fed, Safin would have munched him up just like Nalby did. But mixing it up got Safin so confused. How much more confused would we need to have Safin?

jeahhh!
01-19-2007, 05:39 PM

well no shit sherlock

jeahhh!
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM
I didnt mean that as harshly as it sounded but we have always known that about marat havent we? where as Andys was always crappy

rofe
01-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Expected win by Andy and like I predicted - it went to 4. I got the score for the lost set wrong though. Why did Andy lose it 2-6?

Bremen
01-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Why does everyone say that Roddick is going to beat Federer? Safin took him to 2 tiebreaks...he actually lost a set pretty badly to Safin. And Safin isn't the same player he once was. Andy will have to hope Roger has an off day.

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Expected win by Andy and like I predicted - it went to 4. I got the score for the lost set wrong though. Why did Andy lose it 2-6?Marat made a few returns and Andy was just pretty pathetic, several lousy errors on his own serve. nothing special :lol:

Bremen, who in the world said Andy would beat Roger? :scratch:

Loremaster
01-19-2007, 06:39 PM
When I said yesterday that Marat will have problems with running, Marat's fan were all laughning , safin looked so tired in the end

I loved when Roddick hit that huge return winner from BH and he looked into Jimbo direction :worship:

Adler
01-19-2007, 06:43 PM
who in the world said Andy would beat Roger?
Oh, search carefully ;)

Skyward
01-19-2007, 06:44 PM
When I said yesterday that Marat will have problems with running, Marat's fan were all laughning , nadal looked so tired in the end
I loved when Roddick hit that huge return winner from BH and he looked into Jimbo direction :worship:

On which side did Nadal play? :p

Klaas_nalbandian
01-19-2007, 06:44 PM
To bad we can't see more of marat but andy played better

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh, search carefully ;)nah, can't be bothered :)

tangerine_dream
01-19-2007, 06:55 PM

Not last night he didn't. :)

Bremen
01-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Marat made a few returns and Andy was just pretty pathetic, several lousy errors on his own serve. nothing special :lol:

Bremen, who in the world said Andy would beat Roger? :scratch:

Well I don't think people were talking about it much here...but all the commentators...even Drysdale was picking Roddick...at the same time saying Federer was the best he'd ever seen. I just think it's strange. Anyway maybe this thread isn't the best place for this discussion but I didn't feel like starting a whole new one.

Loremaster
01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
On which side did Nadal play? :p

UUUUPPPSSSS, sorry Thanks to AO I haven't slept for 36 hours in row so I have mess in my head

jeahhh!
01-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Well I don't think people were talking about it much here...but all the commentators...even Drysdale was picking Roddick...at the same time saying Federer was the best he'd ever seen. I just think it's strange. Anyway maybe this thread isn't the best place for this discussion but I didn't feel like starting a whole new one.

was drysdale there during the match?
I was only half awake and dont remember:rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I was only half awake and dont remember:rolleyes:No, it was PMac and Dick Enberg.

jeahhh!
01-19-2007, 07:02 PM
No, it was PMac and Dick Enberg.

Thats who I thought I remembered it being

Fedever
01-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Fucking shit :(:(:(:(

Yep!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: @##$%@%#

bad gambler
01-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Great result, rumour also has it after the match, AO director Craig Tiley offered to educate Safin on the difference between wet and dry but the big Russian declined

Safin acted like a prick out there the whole night and got what he deserved

Good jarrrrb Andy

cobalt60
01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Great result, rumour also has it after the match, AO director Craig Tiley offered to educate Safin on the difference between wet and dry but the big Russian declined

Good jarrrrb Andy

too bad Andy did not use his favorite swear for players on him then:p

jeahhh!
01-19-2007, 07:59 PM

Good jarrrrb Andy

God I hope that rumors true:devil:

Carito_90
01-19-2007, 08:00 PM

cmurray
01-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Wow. Andy looked FANTASTIC. I was pulling for Marat, but I'm not disappointed that Andy won. He really deserved that win. That was really superb tennis. And you know what, Deb? In my "racquet bracket" picks, I DID pick Andy over Roger. I think he's due, frankly.

Veronique
01-19-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm sad for Safin but very glad for Andy. He was beautiful to watch in 3 of the 4 sets.

Mistaflava
01-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Ljubicic

:haha:

Bremen
01-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Wow. Andy looked FANTASTIC. I was pulling for Marat, but I'm not disappointed that Andy won. He really deserved that win. That was really superb tennis. And you know what, Deb? In my "racquet bracket" picks, I DID pick Andy over Roger. I think he's due, frankly.

Really? You really think he's going to beat Roger??? Why??? Is Roger not at his best???

Bremen
01-19-2007, 09:07 PM
I was only half awake and dont remember:rolleyes:

Oh sorry I got them mixed up:silly:

cmurray
01-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Really? You really think he's going to beat Roger??? Why??? Is Roger not at his best???

I don't know....just a feeling I have that Andy might be due. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if Roger won....I was just going on a hunch. I'm not a huge fan of Roddick, so if he loses, I won't be heartbroken in the least...like I said. It's just a feeling that I have that he might get lucky this time.

Roger looks better this year than last (at the AO at least), but then again, so does Andy.

Bremen
01-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Roger looks better this year than last (at the AO at least), but then again, so does Andy.

True that. Anyway I couldn't stand it if Andy won. The more I watch Andy the less I like him. The way he behaves towards the umpires is disgusting. At least Nadal is gracious to the umpires when he plays.

the answer
01-19-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know....just a feeling I have that Andy might be due. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if Roger won....I was just going on a hunch. I'm not a huge fan of Roddick, so if he loses, I won't be heartbroken in the least...like I said. It's just a feeling that I have that he might get lucky this time.

Stop lying. It has nothing to do with what you feel or not but rather with what you WANT to happen. Just admit it. :rolleyes:

jeahhh!
01-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Really? You really think he's going to beat Roger??? Why??? Is Roger not at his best??? Roger hasnt been at his best so far and they said he has a virus

True that. Anyway I couldn't stand it if Andy won. The more I watch Andy the less I like him. The way he behaves towards the umpires is disgusting. At least Nadal is gracious to the umpires when he plays.

How did andy behave badly against safin?
He was really level headed:scratch:

Bremen
01-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Roger hasnt been at his best so far and they said he has a virus

How did andy behave badly against safin?
He was really level headed:scratch:

It wasn't against Safin...it was in a previous match. He just told he umpire he was a glorified scoreboard keeper. Mary Carillo thought he should have been thrown out for that comment. Anyway, he bugs me.

Also about the virus...it can't be that serious...he played pretty well against misha...and he has quite a bit of time to rest. He'll be ok.

jeahhh!
01-19-2007, 10:45 PM
It wasn't against Safin...it was in a previous match. He just told he umpire he was a glorified scoreboard keeper. Mary Carillo thought he should have been thrown out for that comment. Anyway, he bugs me.

yeah the glorified scorekeeper:haha: :haha: I thought it was pretty funny.

simpletennis
01-19-2007, 11:11 PM
damn, i wish i could've watched!

the cat
01-19-2007, 11:29 PM
To ee Roddick outplay Safin from the baseline was amazing to see! Well done to Andy. :) But it was such a big opportunity lost for Marat. :(

senorgato
01-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Why does everyone say that Roddick is going to beat Federer? Safin took him to 2 tiebreaks...he actually lost a set pretty badly to Safin. And Safin isn't the same player he once was. Andy will have to hope Roger has an off day.

Well, Roddick has to get past Ancic first, which will be difficult.

And don't forget that Safin was running out of gas. Otherwise, it may have gone 5 sets. Just the fact that Roddick was playing at the top of his game and Marat was tired and injured, doesn't bode too well for Roddick.

But I did love SAfin's, "he's sitting there with a tie and smoking a cigar and probably with a couple of chicks", comment. Priceless.

scoobs
01-19-2007, 11:53 PM
It just goes to show that Marat still really needs to grow up a bit.

As endearing as he is, if he wants to win more majors he can't afford to spend such a lot of time in a crucial match ranting and raving and playing the poor-me game. A lot of his shots were so off-balance because of the huge chip he likes to keep on his shoulder.

General Suburbia
01-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Rumor has it PMAC gave Roddick a BJ in the locker room after the match.
What happened to the good ol days, where a guy would just tap another guy in the balls for "good job?"

scoobs
01-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Ahh, you see, now they say "one good job deserves another" :devil:

jeahhh!
01-20-2007, 12:38 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42470000/jpg/_42470817_rodsaf416.jpg

Marat: ":hearts: Whenever I play you I can't keep my eyes on the ball. :drool:"
Andy: ":angel: Go hit the showers and wait for me, sweetcakes. :kiss:"

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Magical Trevor
01-20-2007, 12:41 AM
That was really impressive from Andy. I wasn't sure he was playing that well in his first two rounds, but he was excellent. Marat was pretty good too.

He seems to have found his forehand again as well. I thought last year he was topspinning it too much and it wasn't hurting anyone, but he was crushing it last night.

cmurray
01-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Stop lying. It has nothing to do with what you feel or not but rather with what you WANT to happen. Just admit it. :rolleyes:

Based on your theory, I'd have "wanted" Roger to win every match I picked him for up until that point. Honestly, I'd have been quite chuffed if Misha had beaten the shorts off of him. Pardon, but that's a dumb theory.

Also, as I stated already stated, I'm no particular fan of Roddick's. I think he has a shot at Roger. He played spectacular tennis last night, he had match points against him at TMC. He's getting close and I think this might be his moment.

Apemant
01-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Also, as I stated already stated, I'm no particular fan of Roddick's. I think he has a shot at Roger. He played spectacular tennis last night, he had match points against him at TMC. He's getting close and I think this might be his moment.

:yeah: Agree 100%... I'm not actually a fan of Roddick (nothing against him either), but to deny he's been playing some excellent tennis lately would be sheer blindness.

jeahhh!
01-20-2007, 02:27 AM
Also, as I stated already stated, I'm no particular fan of Roddick's. I think he has a shot at Roger. He played spectacular tennis last night, he had match points against him at TMC. He's getting close and I think this might be his moment.:worship:

:yeah: Agree 100%... I'm not actually a fan of Roddick (nothing against him either), but to deny he's been playing some excellent tennis lately would be sheer blindness.
ok I am a Roddick fan and I have to thank you guys who will at least admit he is playing good and not just continuing to say he cant play blah blah blah:fiery:

chicky841
01-20-2007, 02:48 AM
Boo! But I kinda figured Andy would win. Too bad this had to be a 3rd round match.

SaFed2005
01-20-2007, 03:12 AM
The net was messing with Safin a lot... BTW after watching this match I feel that Roddick's volleys have improved TREMENDIOUSLY since Connors became his coach. He might just get Federer this time if they meet. He was within a point last time.

trixtah
01-20-2007, 03:31 AM
When Marat... If Marat... It was long time ago.

As for now Marat is rather slow player who is helpless when he needs to play low bouncing balls, who takes the ball too late to play agressive, whose shots land short most of time, whose backhand is nowhere near it used to be - could you remember a single winner of Safin from BH DTL (except couple of passing shots) in today's match? All three players he met at the Australian Open played faster than him.
Of course Marat is still good player but neither great, amazing, nor majors contender.
You're an idiot and it's hard to take you seriously after reading your posts. You obviously didn't watch the match.

AnnaK_4ever
01-20-2007, 04:04 AM
You're an idiot and it's hard to take you seriously after reading your posts. You obviously didn't watch the match.

Arguing with morons like you is useless, just wasting my time so I say only two things:

1) I did watch the match and Safin hit 0 (zero) backhand down-the-line winners when rallying with Roddick from baseline
2) F*ck off!

tangerine_dream
01-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Still glowing :D http://img2.menstennisforums.com/790/excited.gif

stebs
01-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Just watched the match. Roddick played quite well and Safin played 100% average. The result speaks for itself truth be told.

cmurray
01-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Just watched the match. Roddick played quite well and Safin played 100% average. The result speaks for itself truth be told.

Indeed. A well earned win for Roddick. And frankly, Marat deserved to lose.

Fedex
01-21-2007, 12:15 AM
I have to give Roddick alot of credit. He kept his head together for the entire match, and he won the big points. He played one of the best matches I think I have ever seen him play.
As for Marat, he played a good match too, including some spectacular flick backhand passes, and a tremendous half-volley drop shot. He just coulden't keep it together in the tiebreaks, which proved to be the difference in the match. Overall, I was happy with his play, and as he continues to improve and gain confidence, he'll be in the top ten in no time at all.

Deea
01-21-2007, 05:15 AM
Ok someone please explain what is going on with the officials heads...I mean, they didn't want to take some time until the court was completly dry in the Safin - Roddick match but now in the Serena - Jankovic match they even sent them to the lockerrooms!!!!! :fiery: :fiery: Honestly now WTF? :cuckoo: