Umpire overrules, calls Safin's serve out... / Safin fined, said umpiring was a joke! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Umpire overrules, calls Safin's serve out... / Safin fined, said umpiring was a joke!

Trent
01-19-2007, 11:24 AM
....Safin challenges the umpires call with hawkeye and proves him wrong.

Anyone else find that very amusing? :p

Beforehand
01-19-2007, 11:25 AM
The line calls and subsequent challenges have been appalling at times.

artlinkletter
We're not only being treated to a great match, but also some comedy. Hahaha. Safin talking about the tournament director having a cigar in his mouth, two chicks on his arms and not knowing a thing about tennis.

Voo de Mar
Pasqual-Maria :smash: :retard:

scoobs
01-19-2007, 11:27 AM
We're not only being treated to a great match, but also some comedy. Hahaha. Safin talking about the tournament director having a cigar in his mouth, two chicks on his arms and not knowing a thing about tennis.
Not a good time to piss Safin off anyway but that was very funny.

El Legenda
01-19-2007, 11:27 AM
5 challenges during the first 2 games on the 4th set :eek: all 5 the player was right...

almouchie
01-19-2007, 11:33 AM
line judges are making too many obvious errors
i thought they would have changed them by now

great tennis by the way

scarecrows
01-19-2007, 11:36 AM
yeah, every mistake by the umpire deserves its own thread :yeah:

silverwhite
01-19-2007, 11:40 AM
To be fair, a lot of the balls were in or out by a really really small margin :shrug:

The call the umpire made though was a bad one. :tape:

Trent
01-19-2007, 11:44 AM
yeah, every mistake by the umpire deserves its own thread :yeah:

When the umpire overrules a ball soon after being verbally abused by Safin, and is wrong, I think it's an interesting point to make.

Metis
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
The linespeople have been blinded by Safin's beauty. :lol:

Kalliopeia
01-19-2007, 12:25 PM
The linespeople have been blinded by Safin's beauty. :lol:

That, or his shirt.

bellascarlett
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM
annoying umpire...:smash:

i so wanted the camera to focus on him after he was proven wrong. :lol:

scarecrows
01-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Grillotti does that bullshit all the time

atheneglaukopis
01-19-2007, 12:40 PM
That, or his shirt.I have to go with your answer.

Fumus
01-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Roddick told the chair, after the match this is the worst line calling I have ever seen.

scarecrows
01-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Roddick told the chair, after the match this is the worst line calling I have ever seen.

and he was so right

4th set was pathetic

aussie_fan
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
i found this very funny, the linecalling was shocking in this match.

Fumus
01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
I can see what Roger is talking about and I am going to have to agree with him.

The Pro
01-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I've forgotten what the Safinlove was like round here.

With the Rafalove it's often lunatic little teenyboppers. I think with Safin it's the big M that's behind a lot of these comments...:eek:

Jogy
01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
hahaha :haha: :haha: :haha:
how can you not love that?

But Safin is not far away from reality! I would have told this guy much worse. Some idiot who is only theory about tennis and perhaps never played professional on such a court want to telling you that it is not bad if far outside of the court there is some wet drops and that it will dry later. It's not this ahole who has to sit out six months if Safin injures there outside running after a ball. :retard:

Jogy
01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
i found this very funny, the linecalling was shocking in this match.
that is right what you saying

W I T H O U T challenge and electronic calls Safin would been a lost man out on court there because Maria hated him and the line judges were already horrible and made more wrong things than usually in a short time like only one set. How many right challenges did Safin have in only fourth set? 5? and many important one! Roddick also made one or two good ones!

Broomie
01-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Here is what Marat had to say. I didn't put every thing he said, especially regarding the incident with the umpire and the supervisor, it was too long :lol: . (Go here (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4712729&postcount=1567) for the whole itv)

Q. At one stage it looked like you had two opponents, Andy and the umpire, given those sort of circumstances. But did you try and get over it rather quickly and refocus on the match or did it bother you for a while because I noticed at a couple of points the umpire called a ball out and then it was challenged and it was actually in, and it happened on two occasions.
MARAT SAFIN: Well, he's a really nice guy outside of the court. Nothing against anybody. But on the court, you have to stop with this thing of I'm your friend. We are out of the court, and we have to forget it. He's getting paid for this. I'm getting paid for what I'm doing. We have to deal with the situation. Then he's overruling the ball that is in. So if you are so sure, it must be out, but he's overruling the linesman. The ball is going 250 kilometers per hour. He's overruling. I am challenging the ball is in. And he says, Listen, I made a mistake. So in this case, what should I do? Put him a fine? No, I cannot do that.
[...]
Q. It looked to me as if he was trying to prove he was right.
MARAT SAFIN: But just in a way I wanted to get out of the situation that I was a little bit too much in a match and I was getting a little bit too nervous about it. So it kind of was also a subject for me just to loosen up a little bit, shout at him and whatever (laughter). And getting a warning, I think, was pretty good, and I had my opportunity. But just the fact it was a little bit too much for this kind of a match and full crowd. Andy was playing great. We both were playing great.

BTW, if someone could give me the link to andy's itv, it'd be cool. I looked for it in andy's forum but couldn't find it. ;)

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 03:35 PM
BTW, if someone could give me the link to andy's itv, it'd be cool. I looked for it in andy's forum but couldn't find it. ;):) http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4713148&postcount=1288

Broomie
01-19-2007, 03:46 PM
:) http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4713148&postcount=1288
thx a lot :wavey:

Lee
01-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I find it ironic that at the beginning of the match, Dick and PMac talked about umpires gun shy to overrule because of the challenge system and players complained about it.

Then, the umpire overruled calls in this match and of course, people complained about it. :tape:

DavidW
01-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks for posting both interviews.

The calling today was a joke. Safin was well within his right to ask them to clean it up some more. Imagine (and thankfully it didn't happen) that Safin slipped on the wet patch whilst trying to return a drop shot; what would happen than?

Well done to Roddick. Roddick vs. Ancic should be very good.

rmb6687
01-19-2007, 05:36 PM
I've forgotten what the Safinlove was like round here.

With the Rafalove it's often lunatic little teenyboppers. I think with Safin it's the big M that's behind a lot of these comments...:eek:

what's the i big M

Tennis Fool
01-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I wanted a duck roast, but sometimes it's funny when Safin loses.

Safin spits fire Down Under
19/01/2007 16:17 - (SA)

Melbourne - A ranting Marat Safin had repeated run-ins with the umpire in his third round Australian Open loss to Andy Roddick on Friday as the big Russian ended his Melbourne challenge on a sour note.

The 2005 champion, who has a reputation for being moody, was spitting fire after going two sets to one down when a brief shower delayed play.

The retractable roof of the Rod Laver Arena slowly closed as ball boys frantically used towels to mop up centre court.

French umpire Pascal Maria and tournament referee Wayne McKewen gave the all clear to resume but Safin was having none of it.

While Roddick was happy to play on, Safin began working himself up, pointing to the court and saying it wasn't dry and safe, waving his racquet around and going red in the face.

He copped a fine for an audible obscenity :rolleyes: and reluctantly resumed, but continued arguing between points, disputing line calls and calling for the Hawkeye technology to be used.

"Why are you overruling. Why did you call it out. You have all the power and we have none," he was heard shouting at umpire Maria. :lol:

His bad-tempered outbursts continued as Roddick ground out a fighting 7-6 (7/2) 2-6 6-4 7-6 (7/2) victory to book a slot against Croat ninth seed Mario Ancic in the next round.

"I was so disappointed with the officials. I can't describe how I feel," he said afterwards.

"They have been so pathetic on this subject. It was a joke.

"And I really am just so disappointed that really, the people, they are so blind, they don't want to see anything, and I'm just going to say it in front of everybody because it's a nonsense for me.

"The guy comes and says to me it's not wet. The guy never played tennis in his entire life.

"He comes with the shoes that aren't even tennis shoes, and he's telling me and I'm professional and I know when it's wet and when it's not wet, and he's telling me it's not wet." :haha:

He claimed it would only have taken two or three minutes to dry out but he was forced to play on because the match was live on television.

"I'm sorry, but just two minutes doesn't make anything. So they can put on another commercial. What's the big deal?" :haha:

Roddick, who was unfazed by the commotion, said Safin was an emotional person and it was part of his game.

"I think with Marat, you know he's going to kind of go on the emotional roller coaster a little bit, but I don't know if that hurts him often," he said.

"I was just feeling like I should be even keel out there tonight. There was enough emotion in the air that I don't know if I needed to create any extra."

He said he sympathised with Safin to some extent over his concerns about the safety of the court.

"I mean, that's his right. If he doesn't feel like it's safe to play. I felt comfortable, he didn't. He's well within his rights to express that."

Tennis Fool
01-19-2007, 05:49 PM
BTW, here's the whole interview.

Marat Safin Interview -- Australian Open (Jan. 19)

Posted on January 19, 2007

Marat Safin Australian Open Interview -- Jan. 19, 2007

A. RODDICK/M. Safin
7-6, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6

An interview with: MARAT SAFIN

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Start with your thoughts on the match.

MARAT SAFIN: Well, I had everything in my hands. I mean, the first set was a very important one for me. If I was a break up, if I would have won the first one, I think I would have had more chance and I would be a little bit more comfortable on the court and a little bit more confident. But unfortunately I lost my opportunity.
And then even losing the second set, then he was a little bit more pumped up than me because it took me a little bit down, the first one, the opportunity there.

Q. How is your hand? Do you feel any pain?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, no, I can survive (laughter).

Q. Do it get caught underneath you when you went for that volley, or how did you actually do it on the court?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, jumping because I slide on the surface and it took off my skin.

Q. What about the rain and the discussion with the referee?

MARAT SAFIN: This is the kind of thing that I'm so disappointed with the officials that I can't imagine how to describe what I feel. Right at that moment because you're feeling really that you have no chance of winning or prove something to them, because they just -- they are so -- they have been so pathetic on this subject. It was a joke. And I really am just so disappointed that really, the people, they are so blind, they don't want to see anything, and I'm just going to say it in front of everybody because it's a nonsense for me.
Because they were cleaning the court from inside, but nobody cleaned the court outside. And it had been like really wet. And I'm showing to them. And the guys are saying, No, you have to play. Why I have to play? Why I have to put my health in doubt? Because we're using all the court. And if I slip and if I get injured and if something happens... No, you have to play.
I said, No, I'm not playing. They said no, started counting. Because the guy comes and says for me it's not wet. The guy never played tennis in his entire life. He comes with the shoes that aren't even tennis shoes, and he's telling me and I'm professional and I know when it's wet and when it's not wet, and he's telling me it's not wet. How ridiculous and how the person just can be this way?
And of course the time is counting. And the guy, of course, proving to everybody that he is the guy who is ruling and he is the guy working for ITF and he can put me fine or whatever I say. If I am saying something with the F word or something he doesn't like, then I get a fine and I'm getting the warning and then the penalty point. Eventually of course I've got a warning because he says I said F word. I said, yeah, whatever, everybody says (laughter).
So anyway, it was really, really pathetic what they did today.

Q. How close to the court were the patches that you thought were unplayable? How close to the court were they?

MARAT SAFIN: Well, just right outside of the doubles line.

Q. Right there?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, literally. We should have just wait three, four minutes. It doesn't kill anything. And just the guy, of course -- Andy took the momentum. The guy is absolutely putting me pressure to go and play.
Why I have to suffer? Why I have to just run around when the court is slippery?
It's not like I'm trying to prove something. Just I don't want to play when it's wet. It just takes two minutes to dry. Let's wait and then we'll play. Well, of course, because they're broadcasting on the television, so of course they have to put pressure on the players to move the match.
I'm sorry, but just two minutes doesn't make anything. So they can put another commercial . What's the big deal?

Q. At one stage it looked like you had two opponents, Andy and the umpire, given those sort of circumstances. But did you try and get over it rather quickly and refocus on the match or did it bother you for a while because I noticed at a couple of points the umpire called a ball out and then it was challenged and it was actually in, and it happened on two occasions.

MARAT SAFIN: Well, he's a really nice guy outside of the court. Nothing against anybody. But on the court, you have to stop with this thing of I'm your friend. We are out of the court, and we have to forget it. He's getting paid for this. I'm getting paid for what I'm doing. We have to deal with the situation. Then he's overruling the ball that is in. So if you are so sure, it must be out, but he's overruling the linesman. The ball is going 250 kilometers per hour. He's overruling. I am challenging the ball is in. And he says, Listen, I made a mistake. So in this case, what should I do? Put him a fine? No, I cannot do that.
Whatever I was saying, what I was saying in Russian, he's saying, Listen, be careful what you're saying. So he's all over me and all over every person who's playing on the edge of doing something wrong. He's already putting you pressure.
And then afterwards they are complaining that we're not showing any emotion. So where is this barrier to make sure that we have and everybody understands? Afterwards we're fighting because we're not showing anything, and then we are fighting on the court because we are showing too much.

Q. It looked to me as if he was trying to prove he was right.

MARAT SAFIN: But just in a way I wanted to get out of the situation that I was a little bit too much in a match and I was getting a little bit too nervous about it. So it kind of was also a subject for me just to loosen up a little bit, shout at him and whatever (laughter). And getting a warning, I think, was pretty good, and I had my opportunity.
But just the fact it was a little bit too much for this kind of a match and full crowd. Andy was playing great. We both were playing great. What I was asking was just for two minutes of a pause and that's it, and give us a little bit of a chance just to rest. What's the big deal?

Q. Thankfully it moved on and the match was very good.

MARAT SAFIN: Thank you for that.

Q. Do you see differences or improvement in Roddick since the last time you played him?

MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, well, he's more solid. At first, he couldn't volley. He was having a lot of problems with his backhand even the one he just was playing crosscourt. Right now the guy is moving. You have to move him around to be able to catch the backhand on the run. Otherwise he's very confident, very solid player from the baseline.
Jimmy, I think he did a great job and he's putting pressure. He's trying to go to the net. And I think he's -- Jimmy, he's doing a pretty good job with him.

Q. How close are you to being back at the level you were two years ago?

MARAT SAFIN: Very far (laughter). Unfortunately very far. Because the problem is that I had a very difficult career because I've been injured every second year. So whenever I was playing good, I was getting injured. To come back, the guys are already moving on and improving the game. And Federer is so far away that nobody is going to catch him maybe in 20 years. And Roddick is improving. And Nadal -- I never played against Nadal because I was getting injured and never getting close to him.
The fact of coming back, it's very important to try to come back quickly and try to catch up with other guys. But it takes much longer time, and of course you have to be much stronger mentally, improving, working twice hard as the other guys.

Q. You were saying that the older you get the more you think of goals and that sort of thing. Do you think you thought too much? You seemed really tentative giving the initiative away.

MARAT SAFIN: When you are starting to feel the momentum, you kind of recede. But sometimes it's a little bit tough for yourself to push it and try to make sure that you are playing more aggressive. Sometimes you wait a little bit for the mistakes so you try and be too smart. The simple thing is that you just have to move, play more aggressive and maybe lower percentage.
But otherwise if you try to make him make any mistakes, unforced errors, it's a little bit less injury, and that's what happened today. I was waiting too much for his mistakes, and that cost me the match.

Q. Do you think you still have it in you to be a competitor with the best players? It would be a terrible shame if you started to think you weren't.

MARAT SAFIN: No, no, no, I'm trying to be positive actually after this match. I'm been very close to win it, and it could be the other way around, that's for sure. I think if I continue this way, just it will start -- it will be better and better, I'm very sure.
I'm not on the negative side, that's for sure, but just has to be a little bit of positive activity and more aggressive, and everything is going to be all right.

Q. How tired were you at the end of the fourth set? How were your legs feeling?

MARAT SAFIN: After the first I was pretty tired. But then after the second I was pretty good. Fourth I was there, but just everything that fall on my head, opportunities, fighting with everybody, the chair umpires, getting the warnings, that kind of... Physically I was pretty okay.

-- Tennis-X.com

Or Levy
01-19-2007, 06:16 PM
He's right, no doubt about it - the callings were horrible.

I don't think it took something from his game, either. Roddick was simply better.

R.Federer
01-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Umpires, so often used to looking smug and powerful with their overrules, now crap in their pants at the chance of being exposed by Hawkeye and a challenge. This to me is the best part about the challenges (which I don't otherwise care for too much).

I love it when a blind umpire's overrule is challenged and shown to be the product of poor vision. Nice.

TMJordan
01-19-2007, 07:16 PM
fuck this bullshit Roddick says whatever he wants and doenst get fined(his first match) and now they fine safin for being honest and saying the truth, I am beyond pissed off right now about this whole situation.

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
fuck this bullshit Roddick says whatever he wants and doenst get fined(his first match) and now they fine safin for being honest and saying the truth, I am beyond pissed off right now about this whole situation.Please get your facts straight. Safin was fined for an audible obscenity. Andy did not swear at the ump, so no fine. End of story.

TMJordan
01-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Please get your facts straight. Safin was fined for an audible obscenity. Andy did not swear at the ump, so no fine. End of story.

In his first match? andy was much worse than Marat, Marat was frusterated about how :retard: the ump was.

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 07:21 PM
In his first match? andy was much worse than Marat, Marat was frusterated about how :retard: the ump was.As was Andy. But Andy didn't swear at the ump. Marat did. The rules are that you get fined for an obscenity. You don't have to agree with the rule, but that's what the rule is.

TMJordan
01-19-2007, 07:24 PM
As was Andy. But Andy didn't swear at the ump. Marat did. The rules are that you get fined for an obscenity. You don't have to agree with the rule, but that's what the rule is.

Ok, but I think I recall Andy calling Tsonga somthing like a "fucking punk" I know its not at the ump but that was not called for.

But yeah I guess you are right because he swore at Tsonga and not the chair? I dont know I am just upset and tired as hell from staying up all night and watching Marat lose. :sobbing:

But the ump was a real joke last night against Marat.

NicoFan
01-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Tennis Fool - I looked everywhere on teh Oz Open site and didn't see that interview.

Can you post the link?

Thanks! :)

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Ok, but I think I recall Andy calling Tsonga somthing like a "fucking punk" I know its not at the ump but that was not called for.

But yeah I guess you are right because he swore at Tsonga and not the chair? I dont know I am just upset and tired as hell from staying up all night and watching Marat lose. :sobbing:

But the ump was a real joke last night against Marat.:hug:

I think the difference is that you can't really tell for sure what Andy said. It was after a great point, crowd was cheering, etc. The ump probably couldn't have even heard it or whatever. :shrug: We have the luxury of slow-mo replay and stuff, the ump doesn't have that up in his chair when he has to make the decision. I think more egregious is that Maria didn't get fined, it's a more comparable situation. Andy's sworn at umps before and has been fined. Andy said some dumb stuff to the ump but as far as I know he didn't swear, so that's that.Tennis Fool - I looked everywhere on teh Oz Open site and didn't see that interview.

Can you post the link?

Thanks! :)Tennis-x had the interviews, even though the AO Site didn't

NicoFan
01-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks Deb!! You always know everything. :) :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 07:31 PM
:lol: I wouldn't say that :p

TMJordan
01-19-2007, 07:32 PM
:hug:

I think the difference is that you can't really tell for sure what Andy said. It was after a great point, crowd was cheering, etc. The ump probably couldn't have even heard it or whatever. :shrug: We have the luxury of slow-mo replay and stuff, the ump doesn't have that up in his chair when he has to make the decision. I think more egregious is that Maria didn't get fined, it's a more comparable situation. Andy's sworn at umps before and has been fined. Andy said some dumb stuff to the ump but as far as I know he didn't swear, so that's that.Tennis-x had the interviews, even though the AO Site didn't

:) Yes I think you are right.

I also hate Maria and wish she was fined, I want her eliminated asap :dance:

Good luck to Andy, if he plays Fed in the semis I will cheer for him :D but I am hoping its Djokovic or Gasquet :banana: (then I wont cheer for him) I got a bad fealing I will be cheering for him in the semis tho :sad:

:wavey:

*Viva Chile*
01-19-2007, 07:54 PM
that's was really funny... I laugh for a minute after that quote :haha: anyone knows what exactly said Marat, it's for putting that quote in my signature ;)