Tim over Andy 6-7, 7-6, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tim over Andy 6-7, 7-6, 6-3

Dynasty
03-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Congrats Tim!!

Nobody's Perfecc
03-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Well done, Tim!

I was going to make a topic out of this but, does anyone else find Patrick McEnroe's "dropper/slicer/cutter" thing grating to the ears? Seriously, whenever he does that I check to see if my ears are bleeding.

ace4lleykim
03-19-2004, 11:45 PM
that was a great match... beautiful drop shots... whew :inlove:

shaoyu
03-19-2004, 11:54 PM
I start to appreciate Tim's fine attacking all court game (not to mention the volley part)! Great job and now it's up to Roger to make our dream final come true!

Havok
03-19-2004, 11:54 PM
even had fuckin matchpoint way to go Andy :rolleyes: now Tim better not flake out in the semis now.

Chloe le Bopper
03-19-2004, 11:55 PM
even had fuckin matchpoint way to go Andy :rolleyes: now Tim better not flake out in the semis now.
Why? You don't think that Labadze-Agassi would be an AWESOME final?

Havok
03-19-2004, 11:57 PM
oh for sure, i'd tape that match and never leave it out of my sight rebecca;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-20-2004, 12:02 AM
I'd add it to my collection of Agassi-Labadze classics

Sjengster
03-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Great match, and it really summed up Henman's strengths and weaknesses. You could say he was lucky to scrape through after again saving a matchpoint, but frankly he was the better player throughout and could have won in two comfortable sets had he taken all his chances, he was up a break in both the first two sets. But what impressed me was how he put it all behind him, responded to being matchpoint down with three good first serves, and then didn't allow Roddick a point on his serve in the breaker - that's the second 7-1 tiebreak he's won against him.

Roddick eventually handed the break over with that tame smash, but I thought the point that really summed the match up and decided it all was that terrific return winner from Henman to get to 0-40. And he was brilliant around the net, I think the crowd really were appreciative of a great performance when they applauded him at the end. Roddick, as the presenters on Sky pointed out, has to rethink his tactics because despite it working so successfully against Safin he barely serve-volleyed at all against Henman, and it cost him on a couple of big points where he could have knocked away the volley.

I want that Federer-Henman final now, and if Henman continues his dominance over Federer... all the better! Especially since he's already lost one final here at IW. Who would have thought that the one player whom both Roddick and Federer fans are united in worrying about when he faces their favourite would be Henman?

undomiele
03-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Henman finally has pulled all his eggs into one basket. The way he emotionally handled this game --much calmer and cooler than in the old days-- has definitely paid off. Im sure federer is quaking in his sneakers! ;)

tangerine_dream
03-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Congrats Timbo :banana:

This title is his.

undomiele
03-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah the commentator was saying that in every tournament roddick and henman met so far, the winner of the two ended up taking the title. Its certainly possible now --especially if Feds makes it to the final. :) Go Tim!

SaFed2005
03-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Yeah the commentator was saying that in every tournament roddick and henman met so far, the winner of the two ended up taking the title. Its certainly possible now --especially if Feds makes it to the final. :) Go Tim!

Yup that is true...

lsy
03-20-2004, 12:31 AM
I am very impressed. Tim's play at the net is just fantastic. In fact I thought he played most things at very high standard and had mixed up his game more rather than just serves and volley all the time. I thought he was great in Paris but today even better. But I almost thought this is gonna be a match when he will come out as the loser despite playing great after his inability to hold on to the lead in 1st 2 sets. But he actually proved me wrong, really well done.

And Andy does deserves his credit for bringing Tim to play his best to beat him. As disappointed as he must be, he gave a very warm handshake to Tim at the net and said few good words too. Great match!

If Fed managed to go pass Andre tomorrow, I hope he gets to see a bit of Tim's performance today.

asotgod
03-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Federer need not quake or get worried. He will get Tim this time. He will silence all oppositions once he passes Agassi. So, there is no need to get worried at all. As a fan of Roger, I am happy I will be able to get to watch him play live against Henman and see what exactly the problem is. But, I am positive Federer will handle him much better this time and deal with him.

armaniman
03-20-2004, 12:44 AM
£20 says henman will do him again LOL..get your money on the table where i can see it LOL

asotgod
03-20-2004, 12:50 AM
There is no need to bet anything on this. You believe Henman will win. I believe Federer will beat him this time and convincingly. So, we just have to wait and see which comes out true. If yours do, kudos to you and vice-versa.

WyveN
03-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Turned out to be a classic, too. A very fun match to watch: power
server/baseliner vs. serve and volleyer/tactician.

Henman really could have won in straight sets had he held his nerve on those
deuce games (Roddick never broke Henman easily; it was always at deuce). But
in the end Tim came through and got another deserving win over Roddick (who
I think is still a bit off since losing to Marat in Australia).

You're right about Henman's serve. He served all but one second serve to the
backhand side. I guess that means Roddick's backhand return still needs a
little work, considering it was impossible not to pick up on that serving
pattern.

I'm glad Henman won. I hope he makes the final and plays Federer. I wouldn't
mind seeing Tim play Agassi, either.

J. Corwin
03-20-2004, 01:36 AM
great win for Timmy..hope he at least makes it to the final

Fedex
03-20-2004, 02:13 AM
Nice win, Tim!! :D I am very excited about a likely Henman vs. Federer matchup. All Court vs. Serve & Volley. Nice combo there. Like others said Tim could of 1 in straights, but he lets his oppurtunites escape him. Good Match though :) Tim was great at net, made some trully remarkable volleys, and half volleys today. That net play gives Rogi trouble and i can see why. Which is why it would be wise to S & V and take the net from him if youre Federer. For those who misunderstood me: What i SAID was that Tim gives Rogi better, higher qaulity matches than Andy gives Roger. Plus as a fan of Henman, and wanting to see these two to play in a live final.

MisterQ
03-20-2004, 02:34 AM
Henman was remarkable today. It's so entertaining to see someone who plays at that level at the net and is gutsy and crafty enough to do it regularly.

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 03:06 AM
Unbelievable timothy!! once again he proved he has the heart of a lion, saving a match point (for the 2nd time v roddick and winning) just gotta make sure he has no slip ups in this SF v labadze (yes who was he before this week), that mouth watering clash of henman/federer moving ever closer :):):)

Leo
03-20-2004, 03:21 AM
I'm definitely regretting writing off Henman as I did earlier this week. Things are shaping up nicely for him as a Federer/Henman final definitely seems to be coming on the horizon. And we all know their one-sided record. As long as Club Fed doesn't win, I'm a happy camper... boy, am I mature or what? :D

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 03:27 AM
all tim's wins v federer have been indoor, and 1 on grass...outdoor hard may make things a little diff perhaps, but agassi might shock every1 by beating fed, and who knows, maybe this labadze's miracles might continue as well :)

armaniman
03-20-2004, 03:34 AM
great to see when he gets it right and his abilties are allowed to come through, ok he dropped serve after breaking twice but saving matchpoint and staying patient in third set shows he likes getting up for these big showdowns in the TMS..

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 03:45 AM
yes, ppl should expect the us open champ and 2003 #1 to show he can fight, with those 2 break backs, how henman dealt with them is the real story, coming back from match point, winning the tie break 7-1, then breaking at 4-3 in set 3 and serving out.

armaniman
03-20-2004, 03:54 AM
well when was last time henman got a roasting?? i cant remember and its rare, when he goes down its usually respectable and he has his moments.

in my own world he won wimbledon 2001 lol....

day before this roddick match i read on teletext roddick saying tim can beat anyone in the world on his day and thats quite a compliment, you dont just say that if you dont mean it, you say yes hes tough and i need ot be at my best.

Fair play timbo.....this is great to see ......whether wimbledon can happen or not if he finishes 2004 in top 6 which is well feesable then hats off !!!

I used to cringe in early 90's when all british tennis had was jeremy bates so to have someone who can pull of wins like this against worlds elite is great...and if he ends career without a slam hes still payed his dues and been brilliant ambassador for his sport.

darnyelb
03-20-2004, 04:02 AM
I never really appreciated what a great serve-volleyer Tim Henman was until I saw that final set. His reflexes are perfect. I wish I could play like that.

I practically did a standing ovation when Tim ripped that return winner to earn 0-40. Great job by both players!

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 04:03 AM
ehehe i know what you mean about Jeremy bates, how long ago that seemed, when the whole country went nuts if a british player won a match at wimbledon :), now they slag henman off for his "rubbish 4 semi final defeats", as for henman not getting a pasting for a while.only really the hewitt loss in rotterdam (3-6 3-6), his other 3 losses in 2004, he was 1 tie break away from winning , every match..other than those, nalbandian wipped him pretty good in basel last year.

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 04:06 AM
the day henman DOES win wimbledon, you wait and see all those doubters kiss henmans arse :p

armaniman
03-20-2004, 04:10 AM
but on whole theres nobody you could fear him getting battered to thesedays....and nobody would have thought a brit could be in contention for masters series titles and holding a nemesis over federer and roddick, and to hear people other side of world say hes beautifull to watch I think crikey...jeremy bates, chris bailey and those days.....its a miracle henman broke through but whens the next Tim coming?????? i dont wanna get depressed about that now lol

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 04:18 AM
ive heard that andrew murrey or whateva he's called could be good, but yes, it is a bit depressing anyways, cos tim's days are closing down, and i dont think theyre will ever be 1 as unique as our timmy again, i'll miss him, but i sure hope he makes these next 3 (maybe4) years as memorable as possible, and he could start by tanning federer on sunday ;)

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 04:19 AM
im still not cumfy when he plays canas, escude, kucera and hewitt, those guys and theyre double handed returns gosh darn them :)

Smankyou
03-20-2004, 04:31 AM
Speed and power in brutal conflict. Congrats to Tim.

the day henman DOES win wimbledon, you wait and see all those doubters kiss henmans arse :p

And I'd be first in line... I can't see him doing it.

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 05:25 AM
you disbeliever you :p

yanchr
03-20-2004, 05:41 AM
A great match by Henman :worship:and Andy also did nothing wrong :). Agree that Henman should've taken the victory in straight sets had not for some of his wild errors on the break points. He well deserved the win today. Hope he won't get slipped in the semi.

I'm happy to see that there's still a man who can serve & volley in such a decent and gracious way among all the boring baseliners. I have to say Henman possesses the best volley now. As a fan of Roger, I couldn't help thinking of Roger's volley when watching Henman. The fact is that I've to admit Roger 's is still some way behind Henman's.

A potential Roger vs Henman final is on the way now. Can't wait to see it despite the poor record of Roger against Henman. I'm expecting something different from Roger to match up with Henman. Hope Roger can figure out the problem and pull out the final victory this time.

But first they both should take good care of the semis where Agassi is still dangerous for sure.

CooCooCachoo
03-20-2004, 06:05 AM
I had never expected this at the beginning of the year, but I am happy Andy is out. Well done Tiny Tim!

lsy
03-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I was just watching some replay of this match again. Why do I get the feeling that the crowd seems to be cheering on Tim much more than Andy? I'm quite surprised really.

But Tim was really quite a good sportsman, he actually handed a point to Andy while being up breakpoint 4-3 in the final set which he thought was being wrongly overulled by the umpire. Not easy to do that at such crucial point of the match.

Guilles' grl
03-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Wow Andy was stellar, but Hennesey was just so gone!! Awesome as hell man!! He played so beautifully. Gosh, no words to explain. Loved it. What an awesome match. Can't wait for the Henman vs Feds match. It's gonna be so stellar.

Corey Feldman
03-20-2004, 01:35 PM
glad you so enthusiastically agree !!

plum_juice10
03-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Hahaha!!! Tim beat Pandy!! HAHAHA!!! Well Done!

Good on u Tim! Good luck and I hope u win the title!!

tangerine_dream
03-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Nice picture of the two. Timmy's taller than Andy? :eek: Didn't know that.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040320/capt.sge.urq76.200304042918.photo01.default-384x265.jpg
British No. 1 Tim Henman (L) had to work overtime once again to beat hard-serving American Andy Roddick in their quarter-final match at the ATP/WTA Masters Series event. Henman won 6-7 (6/8), 7-6 (7/1), 6-3(AFP/Getty Images/Matthew Stockman)

---------

Britain's Tim Henman came back from the brink of defeat to stun third seed Andy Roddick and reach the semifinals of the Pacific Life Open for the second time. The 2002 Indian Wells finalist saved one match point at 5-6 in the second set before overcoming the US Open champion 6-7(6), 7-6(1), 6-3 in 2 hours, 32 minutes.

It is the second time Henman has saved a match point against Roddick, having achieved the feat in the semifinals in Washington last year before going on to win the title. Henman has now won three of their four meetings on the ATP circuit, including the semifinals of the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris last October, when he went on to capture his first career ATP Masters Series shield.

“I think when you get into a match as close as that then it's a fine line between a lot of satisfaction and a lot of disappointment,” said Henman. “He had one match point against me in Washington, and I won that. He had a match point today.

“It's always been very, very tight against him. As I said, sometimes they go your way. Against Canas in Australia, it didn't go my way. I played another good match today, and fortunately I came away with a win. It's very pleasing.”

Henman, who had only dropped 17 games en route to the quarterfinals in what is his seventh appearance in the desert, broke Roddick’s serve to lead 4-2 in the opening set. But Roddick, who had only dropped his serve once in 29 games during his opening three rounds, broke straight back as Henman failed to take advantage of his opportunity.

With Henman mixing up his trademark serve and volley game with some attacking baseline play, the Briton also led 4-2 in the tie-break before Roddick gave Henman a taste of his own medicine with a deft drop volley on set point.

Henman, full of confidence after his breakthrough win in Paris at the end of last year, soon put the disappointment of dropping the opening set behind him to break again in the fifth game of the second set and opened up a 4-2 lead. But, just as he had in the first, Roddick broke back to level matters at 4-4 after Henman’s third double fault of the match proved costly. With Henman serving at 5-6, Roddick held match point at 30-40, which the No. 9 seeded Briton quickly erased with a wide serve to the backhand that Roddick failed to control.

As they went into their fourth consecutive tie-break, Roddick began with a double fault and Henman never looked back, taking it 7-1 to force a deciding set. That went with serve until the eighth game, when Henman played two great points and hit a clean winner of a Roddick first serve to give himself three break points. Roddick saved the first two but missed an overhead on the third to hand Henman the crucial break. He then closed out the match with aplomb, sealing a famous victory on his second match point with a crosscourt forehand winner.

Talking of his confidence going into the semifinals, Henman said: “I think just in general Paris, having gotten through to another final in a Masters Series there and actually won it, it did give me a massive amount of confidence. I've always had a lot of self-belief. But I think just to reiterate the point internally that I can win against the best players in the world in a big, big tournament. I think that has had a big impact on me.”

It was a disappointing loss for Roddick, who reached the quarterfinals on his first appearance in Indian Wells last year before losing to Rainer Schuettler. The 21-year-old American is now 20-4 this year.

“Obviously I'm disappointed,” said Roddick. “I didn't play horribly. I played pretty well. I gave myself a chance to win there in the second set. He played an amazing game to break up until I duffed that overhead in the third. But to get to Love-40, I mean, there wasn't much I could have done to prevent it. I hit a 113 serve up the T, he kind of hit it like there wasn't a whole lot behind it, came in, you know, hit a clean winner off the next one. Credit goes to him. He just toughed me out.”

-------

Tim's happy interview. :banana:
http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/10/players/interviews/henman319_rx.asp

And Andy's good-natured interview. :banana:
http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/10/players/interviews/roddick319_rx.asp

Denise
03-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Tim taller than Andy?? that's funny and quite surprisin'!!!! hahahaha... I'm pretty glad TIM won against Andy although Andy won against Marat but well lol.... Very nice Tim!! Thank u so much lol. U SAVE OUR WORLD!! :D

Deboogle!.
03-21-2004, 06:20 PM
:shrug: according to the ATP site, Tim is 6'1" and Andy 6'2".... not that it matters in the slightest lmfao

Fedex
03-21-2004, 06:37 PM
And also according to the ATP website Hewitt is 5' 11'', and we all now he's more like 5' 6'' ;)