Are you more a Nadal/Murray/Monfils person or a Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych person ?

TheMightyFed
01-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Within the new generation there seem to be the defensive players who retrieve everything, and the offensive ones, going for broke more often. It will be interesting to see which group of guys dominates...
For me, a Nadal/Murray match perspective is as exciting as a good nap. Nadal and Monfils try to make up their game with a couple of crowd pleasing gestures but they are not shotmakers. What do you think ?

scoobs
01-19-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm a Nadal/Murray/Djoko/Gasquet person

Which do I pick?

TheMightyFed
01-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Which do I pick?

lol, you're an hybrid ;)

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Well My faves in this list would be

Nadal
Monfils
Djoko
Murray

Remember offense wins games, defense wins championships

TheMightyFed
01-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Well My faves in this list would be

Nadal
Monfils
Djoko
Murray

Remember offense wins games, defense wins championships

So you're more in the first group. Defense wins championships ? What about this guy called Sampras...

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-19-2007, 09:04 AM
So you're more in the first group. Defense wins championships ? What about this guy called Sampras...

lol

Its a play on words as this is what every basketball coach says.

There is no definite rule in tennis.

uglyamerican
01-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Interesting groupings. I like Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych, and dislike the others. So, I guess I fit the test. Monfils is entertaining, but his game is not to my liking.

scoobs
01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
I think Offense has won Federer 9 so far.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that's one of the dumbest things i've read - today anyway :)

Allure
01-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Gasquet/Berdych minus Djokovic.

Metis
01-19-2007, 09:10 AM

Which do I pick?

Same for me :)

jayjay
01-19-2007, 09:11 AM
In fact I'd go so far as to say that's one of the dumbest things i've read - today anyway :)

It's not actually, Scoobs. "Defence wins championships" is a very common saying, and applicable to many sports.

Rafa = Fed Killa
01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
It's not actually, Scoobs. "Defence wins championships" is a very common saying, and applicable to many sports.

Thank God all of MTF isn't braindead

scoobs
01-19-2007, 09:12 AM
I struggle to see it applying to tennis except on clay.

scoobs
01-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Thank God all of MTF isn't braindead
We're not talking about many sports we're talking about tennis and most majors in the last 25 years at least have been won by offense players. except clay.

El Legenda
01-19-2007, 09:16 AM
defense does not win championships, its impossible to win if you dont score...but it is possible to win with shitty defense.

Beforehand
01-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Of the six, I don't like Murray or Monfils at all, I'm not a huge fan of Berdych, I like Nadal but dont' love him, and I love Gasquet and Djokovic. So that group wins.

TheMightyFed
01-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Second group is leading by far, I guess there is passion for the offensive game... good !
That would be great to have some kind of Davis Cup format team competition between defensive and offensive players, I'd love it... You take those 6 and you put Fed as playing captain of offensive ones and Hewitt for the defensive...
What I like in Berdych is that he's offensive on court he can fire the crowd in other ways !

MariaV
01-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Nadal/Murray/Gasquet person actually

Leo
01-19-2007, 09:54 AM
This is a close contest. :lol:

It's all about Djokovic, Gasquet, and Berdych! They're all more offensive-minded and less show-boaty. Each of their games has a level of sexiness to it.

TheMightyFed
01-19-2007, 09:59 AM
This is a close contest. :lol:

It's all about Djokovic, Gasquet, and Berdych! They're all more offensive-minded and less show-boaty. Each of their games has a level of sexiness to it.

Honestly I wouldn't have expected such a result, I thougth the defensive game had more advocates. But if fits my conception of tennis, so I'm fine. I just hope Djoko will stop his faked medical breaks.

jayjay
01-19-2007, 10:45 AM
defense does not win championships, its impossible to win if you dont score...but it is possible to win with shitty defense.

No shit.

You do realise the term does not mean that the defensive minded team never scores?

An offensive team with a shitty defence, HAS to score, alot. A defensive team only needs to capitalise on one or two moments. Take the NBA or NFL, it's easier to stifle offense than it is to create it. In the case of those sports, strong defensive plays LEADS to scoring opportunities either through turnovers (NBA or NFL) or a short field (NFL).

Back to the case in point, tennis. Yes Scoobs, defence is more likely to win on clay than other surfaces. But to assume that you have to be purely offensive to win elsewhere would be naive.

A strong defence, be it in a team or individual sport, is and should (in the main, but not exclusively) be the foundation to build on. Not the other way around.

TheMightyFed
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Look at Italy winning soccer World Cup, very defensive team...
A first conclusion for me of this poll is that defensive players are not admired for their playung style but more for their personnality, because Monfils, Murray and Nadal are among the most popular players these days... interesting

scoobs
01-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Back to the case in point, tennis. Yes Scoobs, defence is more likely to win on clay than other surfaces. But to assume that you have to be purely offensive to win elsewhere would be naive.

A strong defence, be it in a team or individual sport, is and should (in the main, but not exclusively) be the foundation to build on. Not the other way around.

Well I do assume we're taking about the offense/defense balance here - I mean it's dumb to assume Murray is exclusively defense and Djokovic is exclusively offense, though it's fair to say that they both lean more in their respective direction.

And I say that players who have on balance a more offense-oriented game are more likely to win majors in tennis - excepting clay, which, as we have seen, seems to favour the defense player more.

almouchie
01-19-2007, 10:54 AM
rafa/richard/novak person :)

Regenbogen
01-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Um...I like all of them :lol: Both styles of play are fun to watch when executed well.

Jimnik
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
More of a Murray/Gasquet person, myself. :)

Liverpool4ever
01-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I am a definetly a Gasquet, Berdyc fan and have not seen enough of Djokovic to form an opinion. I don't like the more defensive games of Murray, Monflis and Nadal. However, Nadal and Murray will probably achieve more than Berdych and Gasquet.

Goonergal
01-19-2007, 11:53 AM
I guess of the two, Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych. But, I'd rather be in a Murray/Djoko/Gasquet catergory. I'm indifferent to Nadal/Monfils & Berdych.

delsa
01-19-2007, 11:57 AM
The second even if i have nothing against the first category of players. Diversity is good! And i don't think Berdych should be part of the second category the way he can tease/mock other players on court when pissed off like Santoro recently and considering his declarations on other players off court...

TMJordan
01-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Djokovic and Gasquet are two of my favorite tennis players, all other 4...meh

oz_boz
01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Berdych/Nadal/Gasquet-person here. If you have to pick three out of those mentioned.

Andre'sNo1Fan
01-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I like Nadal, Monfils and Gasquet.

I dislike Murray and Berdych.

I'm undecided about Djorkovic as of yet ;)

JustmeUK
01-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Put me in the other camp. Richard and Tomas are firm favorites of mine. I'm not convinced Novak is an out and out shotmaker in the mould of the first two. He doesn't strike me as having the same pure ball striking skills and he's not one I watch if I can help it. Andy though does have pure ball striking skills but he's not mentally as offensive. He's more a thinking man's player but those who say his fh isn't a huge weapon haven't seen him going for the shot. Monfils too has huge weapons but is even more defensive than Andy.

Which brings me to my favorite topic (not!) - Nadal. I'm not a fan obviously. His gameplan of you'll wilt before I do is definitely not pretty even if it is effective. He can make shots when he needs to but in terms of pure shotmaking skills I'd have him behind almost everyone above. And of course he has the biggest turds on this board :).

Shrinking Violet
01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I like them all to be honest so went for other. If I had to pick three of them it would be Murray, Djokovic and Gasquet though. I just enjoy different types of tennis - if they all played the same it would be dull as hell.

jazar
01-19-2007, 02:26 PM
i don't particularly like nadal, murray or monfils. but i think gasquet, djokovic and berdych can be a bit boring at times, but i much prefer their style of play, it is much smoother and aestheitically pleasing.

Norrage
01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
I am more of the defensive and tactical player like Murray and in lesser extent Nadal and Monfils. But Gasquet I like the most of all..His game is so nice...
And besides that I hate Berdych and Djokovic...Just two annoying personalities (together with Murray whose game at least I like...)

But I can get kinda annoyed by the on-court personalities of a Djokovic, Berdych or Murray...even Gasquet...They just show no emotions and walk around the court like they are aged and retarted :(

savesthedizzle
01-19-2007, 02:43 PM

Which do I pick?

I'm the same pretty much. :lol: Djoko/Murray/Gasquet for me. :rolls:

Dixon
01-19-2007, 03:30 PM
yep, exactly

Merton
01-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Light will prevail against darkness.

lynch79
01-19-2007, 03:40 PM
My fave is Gasquet, but I also like Djoko and Berdych's games. I sometimes root for Murray too, but it depends on the opponent. I don't care about Monfils. I dislike Nadal.

So, I'm a Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych person, I guess.

guga2120
01-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Well Nadal,Gasquet and Murray i like the best out of the young guns.

Naide
01-19-2007, 03:53 PM
nadal/Djokovic/Gasquet...

Clara Bow
01-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I like alls of the players listed at different levels. I tend to enjoy a variety of different tennis styles- as I think it makes the game more interesting. My three favorites are probably Nadal/Murray/Gasquet although I have enjoyed watching the others as well..

I know that defensive style tennis is looked down on a lot here at MTF- and that Nadal is perhaps the most hated and derided player nowadays here on the boards, but I do enjoy his great defense. In particular love it when he goes from defense to offense- with a running passing shot or the like. And I do think that of course while defense is his strong suit he can be good offensively ( I know many here will sneer at such a comment and call me a tard) - but he needs to do it more often on hard like he did in the 4th set of his second round match. I enjoy Murray’s point construction and find him very enjoyable to watch when he is playing well. And Gasquet has a lovely ease and shot making ability.

I just can’t check myself firmly into one camp or another because I have always enjoyed contrasting styles.

Rogiman
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Monfils is braindead, Nadal sucks, Murray's good but not explosive enough for me.

I love Gasquet and Berdych, and although I realise Novak could be the best of them all, I fail to like his style of play.

Loftra
01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I like Djoko, Monfils and Berdych and dislike Murray, Gasquet and Nadal.

angela
01-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych

CooCooCachoo
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Djoko/Berdych (+ Gasquet, I guess) :p

Apemant
01-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Sometimes I like vanilla ice-cream, other times I'm more into chocolate ice-cream. Depends on the mood. They are all fun to watch in their own way. Think I like Murray the most, because he's so obnoxious and weird looking. He has a unique style of running: like a zombie on steroids. :devil: I'm always bewildered by his ability to catch so many balls running like that :worship:

Maya_4
01-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Honestly I wouldn't have expected such a result, I thougth the defensive game had more advocates. But if fits my conception of tennis, so I'm fine. I just hope Djoko will stop his faked medical breaks.

He's medical breaks are not faked:ras:

+alonso
01-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Djokovic :yeah:/ Berdych :bounce: / Gasquet :o

CmonAussie
01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
***I`m more of a Nadal, Monfils, Djokovic ...type of person<:)

gulzhan
01-19-2007, 04:53 PM
i am a gasquet person :worship:

but i sort of agree with the thread, if only players' personalities would not affect our likes and dislikes :lol:

cherry@cupcake
01-19-2007, 05:01 PM
:shrug:

I'm a Murray/Djokovic/Nadal/Gasquet/Monfils/Berdych kind of person.

Not equivocal, just a fan of differing styles and personalities.

SBruguera
01-19-2007, 05:10 PM

Of course you can score being defensive. When your opponent makes an UE you score. You can even win a match making no winners. But for me that´s absolutely awful.

Peoples
01-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Monfils might be in that "defensive" group for his skills but he has no gameplan, attacks on impulse and overall plays plain stupid tennis.

Djokovic might have good attacking shots but he never goes for broke. He plays a smart but boring and predictable percentage game.

Here you go - you can't classify everything.

Adman
01-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Got to be Gasquet, Djokovic and Berdych.

Mainly Gasquet and Djokovic!!!

bpt7
01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
i guess i'm a hybrid too....I like Nadal/Monfils/Gasquet/Berdych

Ivanatis
01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I can't stand Murray, I don't like Nadal and Monfils that much.

Gasquet is one of my favourites and Nole and Birdman are quite ok.

easy one ;)

yana
01-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Nadal/Monfils/... Gasquet here.

I don't care if they are offensive or defensive. if they are entertaining I'll watch them. and if offensive means service/volley, I can't see what's the fun in it. i like better the long points.

rofe
01-19-2007, 05:51 PM
I am a Murray/Gasquet/Berdych kind of person. What do I do? :shrug:

adee-gee
01-19-2007, 06:45 PM
I like them all except Berdych :lol:

MissPovaFan
01-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Nadal/Murray/Monfils here

TheMightyFed
01-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Djokovic might have good attacking shots but he never goes for broke. He plays a smart but boring and predictable percentage game.

Here you go - you can't classify everything.

Here you go, I just took the first Djoko video on Youtube, look at the first point he changes twice directions ans goes for broke, not very convincing your theory....;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jltUz6W2SU

t0x
01-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych

Defensive type tennis doesn't do so much for me, I appreciate the heart they give their matches, but I just don't find somebody scrambling miles behind a baseline entertaining. I prefer watching attacking shots, because I love how they develop their points - it's also interesting to see how they approach the game, will they go for so much when BP down? For example. Also I think attacking style tennis shows a bit more talent (I know I might get flamed for that... but it's an opinion).

Joyce_23
01-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych. Although I like the other guys too but I find the style of tennis from the group that I picked more entertaining to watch.

Deboogle!.
01-19-2007, 07:11 PM
interesting separation. I am a Gasquet/Djokovic/Berdych person, I like all three of them, and don't care for Nadal, Murray, or Monfils at all. So I find that pretty interesting.

Klaas_nalbandian
01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
novakrichardtomas, but i like nadal to , well I like them all but novakrichardtomas most of them. the belong to my favourites just like nadal.

Murray and Monfils are OK but thats it

cobalt60
01-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Give me aggressive offense over the other style any day. Guess that means I like the play of Birdman/Djoke/Gasquet :)

Peoples
01-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Here you go, I just took the first Djoko video on Youtube, look at the first point he changes twice directions ans goes for broke, not very convincing your theory....;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jltUz6W2SU

Most youtube videos are flashy and show attacking play. Doesn't change the fact that Jokovic has a safe high percentage game.

chicky841
01-20-2007, 03:03 AM
I am a Gasquet/Nadal/Monfils person

Federerhingis
01-20-2007, 03:28 AM

Novak hasn't fully grown into me but he's got a nice backhand, I enjoy two handers. But definitely a big fan of both Berdych and Richard.

Monfils is an awesome mover but his strokes and game in general is so ackward looking and so unorthodox. Murray has good variety and has a very solid backhand but I guess I don't like his personality so I can't say I am big fan of his or his game.

FluffyYellowBall
01-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Im also a berdych fan but his game is no where near as varied as gasquet's. Gasquet is surely the "baby fed". Hes proved he can play on all surfaces and unlike berdych, his game isnt as risky. Berdych has a good game plan but when its not working, its hard for him to change things so he'll find it hard to play on slower surfaces. I dont even like murray so i wont say my pinion coz it will biased:p

Monfils is just weird. Its very annoying to watch him play. He'll either go for crazy shots with no game plan or he'll stay defensive and show us how many times he can break his match stick ankles while sliding...
As for nadal, its gonna be a long time till we finally see him settled on hard courts. Hes changed a lot and hes extremely determined which i think is more important than anything. Hard work pays off, he wont let himself go like that.

Action Jackson
01-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Out of those listed it'd be Monfils/Berdych/Djokovic.

FluffyYellowBall
01-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Out of those listed it'd be Monfils/Berdych/Djokovic.

surprised u chose monfils. I think hes got the longest way to go to the top 10.

Action Jackson
01-20-2007, 10:32 AM
surprised u chose monfils. I think hes got the longest way to go to the top 10.

This is not about who I think the best potential players are. I am just going on the thread question about which players I prefer.

Gasquet fans are enough of a reason for me not to like him.
Nadal well he has done very well and kudos for that
Murray, I don't mind the game, but he doesn't bother me that much, except when people try to claim him as English, when it's not the case.

FluffyYellowBall
01-20-2007, 10:40 AM
its impossible not to be biased!

I admit i dont mind murrays game as well but im sick of commentators saying hes capable of winning wimbledon when its still the frst round

Action Jackson
01-20-2007, 10:43 AM

I admit i dont mind murrays game as well but im sick of commentators saying hes capable of winning wimbledon when its still the frst round

What are you on about? Where does bias come into it?

The thread question is this. Are you more a Nadal/Murray/Monfils person or a Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych person ? That is all I am answering.

FluffyYellowBall
01-20-2007, 10:46 AM
What are you on about? Where does bias come into it?

The thread question is this. Are you more a Nadal/Murray/Monfils person or a Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych person ? That is all I am answering.

when i said biased i was referring to everyone INCLUDING ME:rolleyes:
what i mean is that a players personality and stuff will reflect upon out preferences..

Action Jackson
01-20-2007, 10:50 AM
when i said biased i was referring to everyone INCLUDING ME:rolleyes:
what i mean is that a players personality and stuff will reflect upon out preferences..

Doesn't that depend on many factors. Ok, Gasquet seems like an Ok guy, but that doesn't mean I like him?

I can see why people would find Berdych difficult or cocky, but I don't have a problem with him. I think Nole isn't an arsehole, but hate his time wasting tactics.

Anything else?

KaxMisha
01-20-2007, 10:59 AM

It's not impossible at all. That's a stupid statement with no logical foundation.

yomike
01-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm a Gasquet/Djoko/Berdych/Murray person so I pick the second

Langers
01-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Berdych is a gun, as is Djokovic. Time will tell with Richard. I prefer that group without doubt.

Gulliver
01-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Just imagined I had interactive TV and 6 choices of a match to watch, with the chance to channel hop. First choice, definitely, Gasquet followed by Berdych and Djokovic. During changovers, I'd channel hop with the sound off to check scores (and to see if Monfils had broken his ankle yet), then look in on Murray (but would likely be shown Brad Gilbert) so straight to Nadal for 5 secs only (as he'd be arranging his water bottles) and then back to my chosen matches. No contest for me, really.

Snowwy
01-20-2007, 01:51 PM
straight to Nadal for 5 secs only (as he'd be arranging his water bottles)

Haha :)

TheMightyFed
01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Just imagined I had interactive TV and 6 choices of a match to watch, with the chance to channel hop. First choice, definitely, Gasquet followed by Berdych and Djokovic. During changovers, I'd channel hop with the sound off to check scores (and to see if Monfils had broken his ankle yet), then look in on Murray (but would likely be shown Brad Gilbert) so straight to Nadal for 5 secs only (as he'd be arranging his water bottles) and then back to my chosen matches. No contest for me, really.

Excellent, exactly my feelings ! :worship:

Auscon
01-20-2007, 02:53 PM
I'd say Nadal, possibly Baghdatis & Berdych

Pea
01-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Neither.

I'm more of a Baghdatis/Wawrinka/Del Potro kind of person.

TheMightyFed
01-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Neither.

I'm more of a Baghdatis/Wawrinka/Del Potro kind of person.
You're not very busy watching tennis in the coming days, good to do other stuff ! ;)

Pea
01-20-2007, 04:51 PM
You're not very busy watching tennis in the coming days, good to do other stuff ! ;)

:o How sassy of you. :lol:

01-20-2007, 05:14 PM
I fit neither group. Like Nadal and Djokovic, then I guess Monfils. Haven't seen Berdych play though...

FluffyYellowBall
01-20-2007, 05:26 PM
It's not impossible at all. That's a stupid statement with no logical foundation.

ah i know what u mean. U want a "logical foundation" but let me tell u something. Explaining my thoughts in a paragraoh will not make me sound any smarter...Ive seen ur posts and i dont wanna get into those coky discussions. I wont make a 'logical foundation' to my statement coz my comment is self explanitory. I take psychology but my statement didnt need an explanation. Its not rocket science.

GWH stop taking everything so personally...We all do it

Xavidbz
01-20-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm a Na/Mu/Mo person.

Action Jackson
01-20-2007, 09:11 PM
GWH stop taking everything so personally...We all do it

Give me a break, there are lots of people and players I can't stand, but don't have any problem talking about their respective games.

It's not that hard to do.

Scotso
01-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Djokovic/Berdych

Jlee
01-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Gasquet/Baghdatis for me. Where's Bagh on your list?

~*BGT*~
01-20-2007, 10:14 PM

:lol: My thoughts exactly.

missbungle
01-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Nadal/Murray/Djokovic

MissMoJo
01-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Gasquet/Monfils, so-so about Berdych, indifferent to Nadal. No love for Murray/Djoko.

Jogy
01-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Of course first group more because Djoko.itch and Berdych are some girls and annoying a lot, can't stand them much. Only when they slaughter Federer :lol:

ezekiel
01-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Nadal/Djokovic/Murray will be elite players , Gasquet/Monfils/Berdych are softies who will never be great

Federer&Hingis
01-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I love Gasquet and Djoko.

:worship: :worship:

so-so about Berdych

don't like Monfils

hate Nadal and Murray

blank_frackis
01-21-2007, 10:21 AM
I prefer Nadal/Murray/Monfils, they're more entertaining to watch for me because their game is more tactical and less about the big winners. Sure I enjoy watching the big hitters but anything that adds more variety to the game gets my vote. There was a time in men's tennis where the game consisted of two robots standing at the back of the court slugging out baseline rallies, but thankfully tennis has moved on since then.

blank_frackis
01-21-2007, 10:22 AM

Wittgenstein?

yana
01-21-2007, 10:54 AM
I love Gasquet and Djoko.

:worship: :worship:

so-so about Berdych

don't like Monfils

hate Nadal and Murray

What a coincidence, Federer&Hingis!
You hate exactly the ones who "dare" to beat Fed. Nice argument. :)