Gasquet def. Monfils 6-0, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gasquet def. Monfils 6-0, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3

Conita
01-19-2007, 08:20 AM
allez richie!!!
:D

Allure
01-19-2007, 08:21 AM
First set Richie played very well w/ beautiful bhs and winners and Monfils was terrible. barely moved at all. Second set, Monfils raised his game and Gasquet was embarrassing to watch.:o Third set was pretty much even and fourth set Gasquet played well. Overall, a pretty good match but not the best from Richard.:)

juanqui.ferrero
01-19-2007, 08:23 AM
They both needed treatments by the end of the 4th set. I thought Gael could come back, but Richie kept on playing strong. They embrace was just too cute... :)

martinatreue
01-19-2007, 08:24 AM
monfils game is sooooo boring.

gasquet :hearts:

silverwhite
01-19-2007, 08:26 AM
They both needed treatments by the end of the 4th set. I thought Gael could come back, but Richie kept on playing strong. They embrace was just too cute... :)

What happened to Richard? :confused:

scarecrows

congratulations

that was the most ridiculous statement of the week

vincayou
In the first set, Richie was flawless. Gael didn't even play that bad, he wasn't allowed to. The break early in the second broke the momentum and suddendly the match was very even.

I'm still amazed that Gael can be so competitiva against players like Baghdatis or Gasquet with so many holes in his game. If he become one day a real tennis player, he could be very dangerous.

oz_boz
Terrific tennis in the 1st set from Gasquet, the bagel was well earned. Braincramp + Monfils raised his game to OK in the 2nd, hence the result. Gasquet better again in the rest of the match, not as in the first but still good enough to beat Monfils which he should.

Allez! Still waiting to see him go really deep, he can play great but keep it up against a tough opponent for a whole best of 5? We'll see.

Allure

gasquet :hearts:

Lol the way Monfils pumps himself up during a match reminds me of Nadal. And did you see the kiss on the cheek at the end. HOT.:devil:

Allure
01-19-2007, 08:28 AM
In the first set, Richie was flawless. Gael didn't even play that bad, he wasn't allowed to. The break early in the second broke the momentum and suddendly the match was very even.

I'm still amazed that Gael can be so competitiva against players like Baghdatis or Gasquet with so many holes in his game. If he become one day a real tennis player, he could be very dangerous.

:confused:

zimzim
01-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Lol the way Monfils pumps himself up during a match reminds me of Nadal. And did you see the kiss on the cheek at the end. HOT.:devil:Yeah that was so cute;)

fadou
01-19-2007, 08:29 AM
congrats gasquet !!!!

silverwhite
01-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Lol the way Monfils pumps himself up during a match reminds me of Nadal. And did you see the kiss on the cheek at the end. HOT.:devil:

Where did you watch it? I heard most channels switched to Roddick vs Safin halfway through :confused:

vincayou
01-19-2007, 08:30 AM
:confused:

A guy with real tactics, not a guy who slide a forehand in the middle of the court for no reason at some point in a rally. With his size, he should learn to volley and go to the net.

Allure
01-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Where did you watch it? I heard most channels switched to Roddick vs Safin halfway through :confused:

ESPN2 showed the end point of the match and then Gasquet came to the net and shook hands with Monfils and they kissed each other on the cheek. I guess the French are more touchy feely.:devil:

silverwhite
01-19-2007, 08:33 AM
ESPN2 showed the end point of the match and then Gasquet came to the net and shook hands with Monfils and they kissed each other on the cheek. I guess the French are more touchy feely.:devil:

:lol:

Rgask
01-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Gasquet is playing amazing tennis..Now make it into the Qf.'s...in pure terminator style.....:worship: :worship: :worship: :devil:

Loremaster
01-19-2007, 08:35 AM
YEAH !!
The Artist beat CLOWN :worship: :worship: :worship:

Allure
01-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Gasquet is playing amazing tennis..Now make it into the Qf.'s...in pure terminator style.....:worship: :worship: :worship: :devil:

Hopefully he faces Querrey and not Robredo

Dougie
01-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Well played Richie!! First time I saw Gasquet play, he´s game is really beautiful to watch. But I wonder if he´s able to keep his concentration for 4-5 sets against tougher opponents...We´ll see, hope he goes far in this tournament!

Rgask
01-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Hopefully he faces Querrey and not Robredo

Yea..xactly...i m hoping the same tooo..Coz robredo has a higher ranking and more confidence, where as querry is not soo dangerous (he's already made so many UF errors in today's match...Hope-fully riri goes deep with any opponent...:devil: :worship:

Allure
01-19-2007, 09:05 AM
I loved it. :devil: That and Richard ruffling Gael's hair. :lol:

Forget Safin/Federer and Roddick/Federer, it's Gasquet/Monfils time.:devil:

juanqui.ferrero
01-19-2007, 09:07 AM
What happened to Richard? :confused:
He needed treatment for his right hand and arm... Dunno why though. But there was quite a long time off because first Gael received a massage and then it was Richie's turn.

Yeah their kiss was cute, but I didn't expect something else from them. They're friends, and in France it's just normal to kiss a person on the cheeks... :)

Truc
01-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes, Monfils got a massage for his lower back in the 4th set and during the same medical timeout, Richard had a problem with his right wrist and called for the physio too, but there was only one physio, so he was running from one guy to the other, the timeout took almost longer than the set.In the first set, Richie was flawless. Gael didn't even play that bad, he wasn't allowed to.I would rather say: Gael wasn't even playing bad, he just wasn't playing at all, he wasn't there in the 1st set.

I found it pretty boring all in all, only the third set was a bit entertaining from what I saw.
The hug at the end was indeed one of the highlights of the match.

Puschkin
01-19-2007, 09:19 AM
YI found it pretty boring all in all, only the third set was a bit entertaining from what I saw.

I did not think it was that bad. :wavey:

The highlight was the result.:p

silverwhite
01-19-2007, 09:26 AM
He needed treatment for his right hand and arm... Dunno why though. But there was quite a long time off because first Gael received a massage and then it was Richie's turn.

Ah. Hope it's not serious. :o

I found it pretty boring all in all, only the third set was a bit entertaining from what I saw.

We had coverage until 6-5 in the third and I agree that it was quite a poor match. Richard will have to play much better against Robredo. :help:

One positive is that he frequented the net (more than 60 times). His groundstroke winners were few and far between though. :o

Puschkin
01-19-2007, 09:40 AM
One positive is that he frequented the net (more than 60 times). His groundstroke winners were few and far between though. :o

It was you complaining about his passive attitude and staying back, now he moves forward and you blame him for not enough ground stroke winners. Make up your mind. :p

if there is something to complain about, I would criticise some his volleys - lacking depth and sharpness.

silverwhite
01-19-2007, 09:42 AM
It was you complaining about his passive attitude and staying back, now he moves forward and you blame him for not enough ground stroke winners. Make up your mind. :p

if there is something to complain about, I would criticise some his volleys - lacking depth and sharpness.

Yeah, he didn't volley that well today. 61% is a decent percentage but not good. :shrug:

And I think some credit has to go to Monfils' defence. And the fact that he lured his opponent to the net on a few occasions before passing him. ;)

Metis
01-19-2007, 09:44 AM
:)

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MEL19401191009.jpg

jitterbug
01-19-2007, 09:50 AM

I want to see it! :hearts:

C3PO
01-19-2007, 09:53 AM

:couple: :inlove:

Conita
01-19-2007, 10:07 AM

:D :kiss: :hearts: :hug: :D

Truc
01-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I want to see it! :hearts:http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/reuters_ids/20070119/10/3732396180.jpg http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/4143/cheveuxkm0.jpg

almouchie
01-19-2007, 10:43 AM
could this be his breakthrough slam
not much is expected of him
he has already done well reaching the 3rd round

monfils plays a dangerous game, too harsh on his body, sliding on hard court, just too reckless on his body, it causes hip & back problems
which he already is a suspect of

musefanatic
01-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Awww how sweet :lol: I think that's lovely when you see players acting like that towards each other :) Nice display there :)

Well done Gasquet :) I've taped the match cos i started watching it and thought it might be a bit of a thriller so hopefully it'll live up to expectations :)

marcelwks
01-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Allez Richie . Up and down match but more ups from Gasquet :)

Marcus1979
01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
the commentators here were talking about the antics of monfils in second set what did he do?

it cut in at beginning of the third set so we missed it

Marcus1979
01-19-2007, 11:43 AM
could this be his breakthrough slam
not much is expected of him
he has already done well reaching the 3rd round

monfils plays a dangerous game, too harsh on his body, sliding on hard court, just too reckless on his body, it causes hip & back problems
which he already is a suspect of

apparently he had 4-5 foot and leg related injures in 2006

jitterbug
01-19-2007, 11:47 AM
http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/reuters_ids/20070119/10/3732396180.jpg http://img323.imageshack.us/img323/4143/cheveuxkm0.jpg

Merci beaucoup :wavey:

delsa
01-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, he didn't volley that well today. 61% is a decent percentage but not good. :shrug:

And I think some credit has to go to Monfils' defence. And the fact that he lured his opponent to the net on a few occasions before passing him. ;)

Don't forget that because he ventured so much to the net today (65 times) and that's not really in his habits, there was more room for missed volleys and adjusting...;)

Hey! They're not French for nothing! Everybody kiss on the cheek here... Even work colleagues etc...:p

I'm imagining your reaction if you had to see how all the students of one class
great each other every morning at my Uni...:lol:

aussie_fan
01-19-2007, 11:52 AM
saw the most of the 2nd set and 3rd sets of this match, good tight match, monfis lost concentration in that 12th game.

Super-Fabio
01-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Richard :yeah:

bellascarlett
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Gasquet...:bigclap:

Good luck next round!

richie21
01-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Richard will need to lift his game a lot to beat Robredo :o
he is still not playing to the level he showed at the end of last season and if he wants to go further,he'll have to play at least at this level.
even in the first set,he was far from the level he generally showed at Lyon or at Toronto.
ffs Richard,come on ,you can do so much better than what you've showed so far in 2007.....

Jogy
01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm not crying a tear for Monfils :lol:
good from Gasquet :yeah:

Puschkin
01-19-2007, 12:46 PM
...even in the first set,he was far from the level he generally showed at Lyon or at Toronto.

:o :rolleyes: I have seen only one match from Lyon, but Toronto was certainly more passive and backwards than today. There is certainly room for improvement, but today was not a bad performance.

richie21
01-19-2007, 12:48 PM
:o :rolleyes: I have seen only one match from Lyon, but Toronto was certainly more passive and backwards than today. There is certainly room for improvement, but today was not a bad performance.

oki,i admit i probably exagerated a bit about Toronto.;)

JBdV
01-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Good win Richie :yeah: Now bring on Robredo :armed:
Gael already exceeded expectations by beating Baghdatis, so decent AO for him

vincayou
01-19-2007, 01:04 PM
I thought he played quite well. The only bad stuff were his low volley on him in the middle, missed almost all of them.
He was agressive, went for it at the right moment. The execution was not always there, but it was quite good.

Happy to see that he didn't stay 5 yards behind the baseline. :yeah: That's how he will beat the best players.

42 winners, 22 UEs for Richie, that's very good

Shabazza
01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Nice win. Sad that I couldn't watch it, cause I fell asleep right before the match started. To many all-nighters already...:o

jazar
01-19-2007, 02:31 PM
what the hell was monfils doing in the first set? he was as intense as a burnt out lightbulb.
i'm glad he lost, he didnt deserve to go on after his gamesmanship against baghdatis.