Federer d. Youzhny 63 63 76(5) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer d. Youzhny 63 63 76(5)

scoobs
01-19-2007, 05:21 AM
:yeah:

Federer wins 63 63 76(5) and that's the first match this year that Federer really clicked into high gear. Not all the time - he was a tad scrappy at times but that's me being overly critical - he never really needed to pull out all the stops until the end of the third set.

Very entertaining match from Youzhny though and both men put on a great show. Excellent shotmaking from both of them at times. Roger, as so often, didn't close it out as cleanly as he might, but got it done in 3. Great resistance from Youzhny at the end. It's funny - when he gets on a hot streak he is white hot - but he can't sustain it often.

Roger really looked good out there today, it's all clicking into place nicely for Nole in R4 and that's a match I'm looking forward to.

Leo
01-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Youzhny stepped it up a lot in the 3rd and was finally able to break serve. But ooh, should not have challenged that ball at 2-1* in the breaker because he was in control of the point and was then wrong, just kind of hoped it went out. And I think that through him off until 6-2. :o :o

And also too many sprayed backhands from Fed. Hopefully Djokovic can put pressure on him in the next round, but I don't think his game will be dynamic enough to win more than a set.

artlinkletter
01-19-2007, 05:24 AM
Hahahaha. Roger got pissed off right at the end of the tiebreak. Entertaining third set. There were some great rallies aswell. Roger still hasn't peaked yet.

mickymouse
01-19-2007, 05:25 AM
Some wonderful shotmaking from both players.

Rogiman
01-19-2007, 05:25 AM
What a great scoreline for such a tricky match, Youzhny would have (and in fact already has) troubled anyone on these courts, and he certainly not the type that will give the match up before it starts.

Voo de Mar
01-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Roger has won the last 12 tie-breakers on tour :cool:

TroilusCriseyde
01-19-2007, 05:28 AM
what a boring match.

Allez
01-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Rogi - Yep good match. Certainly his best match of the Open so far.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Mikhail :hug:

Nole was good too :scared:

belgampaul
01-19-2007, 05:29 AM
nice match :)

i would love to see Roger under pressure it produces some very good tennis in him and a great quality match.

Well, done Roger & Misha.

Art&Soul
01-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Well done Champion ROGI, keep it going man

Sunset of Age
Yo, Rogelio! Glad you managed to make up for my personal Dream Final tongiht..

Well done darling. Love Ya.

LLeytonRules
Roger would probably say, he played a b- match.He is a perfectionist.He didnt serve over 60 percent and maded alot of unforced errors.

Clara Bow
01-19-2007, 05:32 AM
Roger is finding his groove - not in Dance Fever winning form yet but he can nail the Electric Slide.

And my lord- Youzhny has such an appealing personality on court. He is a doll. :hearts: He is one of those players that I wish was more successful because I do really like to see him out there. I still get a kick out of the fact that he is one of the biggest readers on tour.

I am looking forward to the Feds/Djokovic match. :D

R.Federer
01-19-2007, 05:33 AM
Roger's serving was poor today. He will need to fix that for the much awaited next match. His bh also flew around a bit. But Youzhny is no slouch and Roger got a great workout and prep for the next one.
Good job Roger Federer!

Bremen
01-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Good enough for a straight sets win though! 4 more matches!!!!

swissfed
01-19-2007, 05:37 AM
That Federer Bear is Cute, I like it

sykotique
01-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Well, Federer passed his first major test today, albeit without flying colours. If he had closed out the 3rd set on the strength of the single break, I would have been tempted to give him a B+, but his backhand became erratic, which coincided with Youzhny going through a very entertaining purple patch, for which I had to deduct marks.

So, a B- and a warning that anything less than his B+ game could fail against Djokovic. However, Fed's not the type to skip his homework, so I expect him to take the youngster to school and stay at the top of the class.

Enough of these ridiculous education jokes, lol.

nobama
01-19-2007, 05:39 AM
OMG Roger and the bear are inseperable. Mirka must be jealous. :lol:

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/908/rogfederbearmpgbg1.gif

gomarray
01-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Good win, Youzhny would have beaten alot of good players today. Now it gets interesting.

Clara Bow
01-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Mirkaland- did that just air? How in Hades did you get that up so quickly.

Or Levy
01-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Who is that man and where is Roger?

That muttering and self-scolding is a bit jarring.

rosamunda
01-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Who is that man and where is Roger?

That muttering and self-scolding is a bit jarring.

Apparently, according to some comments on his website, he has a cold. Perhaps he's feeling a bit ropey? I did see him blow his nose a time or two at changeovers.

Bremen
01-19-2007, 05:57 AM
The ESPN announcers mentioned the cold as well...said it's been bothering him for days now. Hope it doesn't get any worse! And yeah the federer bear is too cute.

nobama
01-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Mirkaland- did that just air? How in Hades did you get that up so quickly.Some Aussie fan on Roger's site put it up.

R.Federer
01-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Apparently, according to some comments on his website, he has a cold. Perhaps he's feeling a bit ropey? I did see him blow his nose a time or two at changeovers.

That, actually, is just one more endearing habit of Roger's.
It is done even without the presence of a cold :)

Allez
01-19-2007, 06:35 AM
:haha: That is too cute. Somehow it's appropriate that Courier is present. :o

Eh... :shrug:

Adler
01-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Why was he so nervous at the end?

nobama
01-19-2007, 06:52 AM
Fed's on court interview with Courier and "Federbear".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhkv-qFyRXE

Rogiman
01-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Fed's on court interview with Courier and "Federbear".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhkv-qFyRXESeriously, what a nice moment there, and Courier is incredible too.

oz_boz
01-19-2007, 08:16 AM
:bounce:

Better keep this up for the next match, Djoko can be a tough nut to crack.

Sorry for Misha with the draw, he deserved better than R3 exit.

ExpectedWinner
01-19-2007, 08:19 AM
:bounce:

Sorry for Misha with the draw, he deserved better than R3 exit.

Agree.

FSRteam
01-19-2007, 08:58 AM
fed will have to increase his level of play from now on because I think he hasn't been the most impressive player in the tournament so far. Against djoko he'll have a hard time, and should he get through that one, it will be increasingly harder with potential showndowns against gasquet and then roddick!!!

nobama
01-19-2007, 11:24 AM
fed will have to increase his level of play from now on because I think he hasn't been the most impressive player in the tournament so far. Against djoko he'll have a hard time, and should he get through that one, it will be increasingly harder with potential showndowns against gasquet and then roddick!!!This gets said about Fed all the time. It's like a broken record. I don't think there's any love lost between him and Djokovic so I see him coming out with the intent to crush the kid early. But hey, if Djokovic plays well and takes it to Fed then more credit to him.

Yappa
01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Federer seemed pretty pissed. It was funny to hear him shout "Challenge that" at setpoint in the first set.

Oh, and that slice rally (was it in the 3rd set?) was hilarious. Federer took it more serious than Youzhny did though.

Samuel
01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
@Four:Love
Well it was also down to him to make a break, wich in the end helped him to get the third set :)

sykotique
01-19-2007, 12:16 PM
"Slice backhand to Federer's backhand, he slices it back...and Youzhny returns the favour. This is beginning to look like an exhibition..."

LOL.

Yappa
01-19-2007, 12:33 PM
From the oncourt interview. Fed about the slice rally: "It worked out. I won the point, I am happy. He's disappointed, and that's perfect." :lol:

RonE
01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I only saw a little bit of this match- end of the first set and most of the second and from what I saw I was most impressed with Rogi's backhand. He hit the crosscourt topspin backhand very efficiently and returned a lot of high kicking serves that he has had trouble with in the past of that wing too with much effeciency. I do not know if he held that pattern throughout the whole match but from what I saw he seemed to be playing very well.

alfonsojose
01-19-2007, 01:54 PM
The best match so far .. Misha's butt :eek: :worship: :drool:

jazar
01-19-2007, 02:28 PM
federer is just going through the motions. he is getting better every match and will easily dismiss djokovic next. anticipate a similar scoreline

KaxMisha
01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I only saw a little bit of this match- end of the first set and most of the second and from what I saw I was most impressed with Rogi's backhand. He hit the crosscourt topspin backhand very efficiently and returned a lot of high kicking serves that he has had trouble with in the past of that wing too with much effeciency. I do not know if he held that pattern throughout the whole match but from what I saw he seemed to be playing very well.

Yeah, he did. I don't know why he under-employs his forehand so much. He seemed to want to make YOuzhny run to death and often chose to extend the rally when he could hit a winner behind Youzhny's back. Almost looked like he was trying to work on something and thus extended the points. :confused:

Leo
01-19-2007, 09:24 PM
From the oncourt interview. Fed about the slice rally: "It worked out. I won the point, I am happy. He's disappointed, and that's perfect." :lol:

That point was hilarious! Too bad they never showed it on ESPN.

Eden
01-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Here is the rally Roger was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bp2JjV8DWY

Bremen
01-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Here is the rally Roger was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bp2JjV8DWY

Thanks for that...yeah ESPN didn't show that. They have a habit of interviewing people and commenting on matches when live ones are taking place. They are absolute idiots.

Federerhingis
01-20-2007, 01:56 AM
Youzhny stepped it up a lot in the 3rd and was finally able to break serve. But ooh, should not have challenged that ball at 2-1* in the breaker because he was in control of the point and was then wrong, just kind of hoped it went out. And I think that through him off until 6-2. :o :o

And also too many sprayed backhands from Fed. Hopefully Djokovic can put pressure on him in the next round, but I don't think his game will be dynamic enough to win more than a set.

If Federer has a slow start and isn't coming off the blocks I wouldn't be surprised to see Novak make it two very tight sets and maybe even win two sets and take the match to a fifth set. He's too solid from the baseline and is very strong mentally, he too has a positive attitude coming into the match. Perhaps he's a bit too ambitious nevertheless, maybe this is something that helps him out going into a match.

This should be a very tough and entertaining encounter, Federer better step it up even more.

sawan66278
01-20-2007, 03:02 AM
If Roger plays (and serves) like he did in this match: give him the title now...