No points for first a round loss!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

No points for first a round loss!!!

FSRteam
01-18-2007, 08:42 AM
I've just noticed that you don't get points anymore for first round losses!

Is it the same for all the tournaments (GS, masters serries,...) or only for international series?!?

Sorry if this has already been posted!

Ivanatis
01-18-2007, 08:45 AM
not for Grand Slam and Masters Series, but for all other tournaments

uglyamerican
01-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Anyone who is "Required" to play these events gets the points. Thus, wildcards get no points for a first round loss at ALL events.

almouchie
01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
not a great thing if u ask me
wildcards, easpecially qualies, at grand slam benefit from just having a point
with the ranking outside the top 200 pretty close

Adler
01-18-2007, 08:52 AM
When you're No. 200+, the additional 4 points for a 1st round loss were sometimes priceless and meant a significant leap in the ranking. Too bad if it's true

ae wowww
01-18-2007, 08:52 AM
So: does this mean that playing Futures will no longer get you a world ranking simply from appearing in main draw?

Also, does it mean for players to avoid losing points defended from the previous year, losing 1st round again is not good enough?

uglyamerican
01-18-2007, 08:53 AM
When you're No. 200+, the additional 4 points for a 1st round loss were sometimes priceless and meant a significant leap in the ranking. Too bad if it's true

It's true.

These guys need to earn points by winning at the challengers, not by being friendly with the national associations.

FSRteam
01-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Anyone who is "Required" to play these events gets the points. Thus, wildcards get no points for a first round loss at ALL events.

What do you mean by required to play?

I saw that wawrinka got no points for losing in the first rounds of doha and auckland, and he was required to play there!

uglyamerican
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
What do you mean by required to play?

I saw that wawrinka got no points for losing in the first rounds of doha and auckland, and he was required to play there!

No he wasn't!?

What I mean by "required" is--players who's ranking are high enough to make the main draw at a Slam or a Masters Event are supposed to play there. Since they "have to" be there, they get the 5 points for a first round loss. But WCs are treated like it's any other tournament.

Any tournament that's not a Slam or a Masters event is completely optional.:confused:

FSRteam
01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
No he wasn't!?

What I mean by "required" is--players who's ranking are high enough to make the main draw at a Slam or a Masters Event are supposed to play there. Since they "have to" be there, they get the 5 points for a first round loss. But WCs are treated like it's any other tournament.

Any tournament that's not a Slam or a Masters event is completely optional.:confused:

Ok, thank you for you answer, now I get it!!! :)

Another question then...

If you go through the qualies of any tournament but you lose first round, do you only get the points for the qualies or also some points for the first round? I guess only points for going through the qualies, right?

ae wowww
01-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Ok, thank you for you answer, now I get it!!! :)

Another question then...

If you go through the qualies of any tournament but you lose first round, do you only get the points for the qualies or also some points for the first round? I guess only points for going through the qualies, right?

Yeah, except there's no points in quallies :D

FSRteam
01-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, except there's no points in quallies :D

You're kidding!!!

Someone who gets through the qualies of any tournament (GS, IS, TMS,...) and loses 1st round won't get any points?!? :eek: