Sampras changes coaches...again! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Sampras changes coaches...again!

tennischick
07-17-2002, 04:11 PM
this just in from Jon Wertheim's mailbag:

Sources close to Pete Sampras tell the Mailbag that Jose Higueras is out as his coach. This would make three firings in the past nine months, a George Steinbrennerian pace for a player once hailed as a creature of habit...

this year alone Samprass has gone from Paul Anacone to Gullickson to Higueiras to...does anyone know who has the latest honor of seeing him fade even more rapidly? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and really, is the solution to his problems yet another coach? or something else? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Zamboni
07-17-2002, 04:23 PM
:rolleyes:

He'd better look in the mirror for a solution. I mean, a coach ain't an illusionist! ;)

Ingridy
07-17-2002, 05:55 PM
He doesn't need a new coach.. he needs retirement!!!

Berlin_Calling
07-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Retirement is calling, FACE IT PETE!!:rolleyes:

Allie
07-17-2002, 08:02 PM
He can change as many coaches as he wants to, but really, come on Pete, your career is over. :rolleyes:

Lindsayfan
07-17-2002, 09:36 PM
so no one likes pete here?!

Athena
07-17-2002, 10:02 PM
What a shame !!

Pete is the best player ever, don't treat him like that

christinaE
07-18-2002, 08:48 PM
Yes Lindsayfan, you can see who started this thread.

Hope you find someone Pete and still play some good and memorable matches.

GO PETE!!

tennischick
07-19-2002, 02:31 AM
yeah i agree. Go Pete!!! Please.....:o :o ;) ;)

the cat
07-19-2002, 03:15 AM
Pete will have more good days this year!

TC, why are you in a rush to wave goodbye to Pete? There is no one out there to replace him! Let him leave by his own accord. Pete Sampras is afterall, the greatest player in the Open Era! So retiremant should be his call.

And TC, won't you be surprised if Pete makes another run at a grand slam title at the 2002 U.S. Open?

Chloe le Bopper
07-19-2002, 03:49 AM
There is no one to replace him as a fading champ?

What the hell ?

the cat
07-19-2002, 04:13 AM
Becca, do you see someone out there capable of winning 13 grand slam titles? I didn't think so! Ten? Nope!

kfh_9118
07-19-2002, 12:06 PM
GO PETE :bounce:

Show your best :)

tennischick
07-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by the cat
Pete will have more good days this year!

TC, why are you in a rush to wave goodbye to Pete? There is no one out there to replace him! Let him leave by his own accord. Pete Sampras is afterall, the greatest player in the Open Era! So retiremant should be his call.

And TC, won't you be surprised if Pete makes another run at a grand slam title at the 2002 U.S. Open?

Hey Cat:
the point of the thread was to comment on the fact that Pete has changed coaches again, for the 3rd time in just a few months. if you read my intial post carefully you will see that i never raised anything about retirement. that was not the point of the thread but to talk about his constant coaching changes and whether that made any sense at this stage of his carrer.

when the poster ChristinaE once again seized the opportunity to attack me -- and that is mainly what she comes online to do -- i've never seen a single post by her about tennis; all she does is praise Sampras and attack those that she thinks are disrespecting him -- then i felt i had to respond to her. so in my last post i was actually responding to her latest dig at me. it's kinda pathetic that that is all she does -- kinda reminds me of Pete actually.

i know that you too are a Pete fan and i've always felt that you and i can disagree respectfully about Sampras. i have no problem with that. i've never felt that you attacked me personally for my dislike of Sampras. and that's exactly how it should be.

personally i don't want Pete to retire. i enjoy watching him being beaten and i wouldn't lose that pleasure for anything in the world. so, yes, go Pete!!!!! whether he has any tournies left in him, i really don't care to be absolutely honest. ;) ;) ;)

Jippo McScally
07-19-2002, 05:29 PM
If Pete want's loads of coaches, let him! It never did Rudeski any harm! ;)

the cat
07-19-2002, 10:51 PM
Understood TC! I went back and re-read your initial post and you never said anything about Sampras retiring. Sorry I jumped the gun on you with that one! :(

And TC, I would never attack you personally for your dislike of Pete Sampras. You know that. I like and respect you too much! :) And I also fear your bluntness! :eek: But I also know I can challenge what you say without being torn to shreds! And I appreciate that!

TC, I know you know alot about tennis. And I enjoy our board and PM relationships! :bounce: And I expect it to always be that way! :)

Felix
07-20-2002, 12:08 AM
He should get one !!
Seeing from the results :rolleyes:

tennischick
07-21-2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by the cat
Understood TC! I went back and re-read your initial post and you never said anything about Sampras retiring. Sorry I jumped the gun on you with that one! :(

And TC, I would never attack you personally for your dislike of Pete Sampras. ...

thank you Cat. one of the threads i most enjoy is the Potato Peelers thread bec both fans and non-fans of Lleyton mix it up and have fun. that's how i think it should always be IMO! :)

now back to tennis and the latest on Sampras and his coaching changes. no wonder he is called the Lawn Lizard -- he's changing coaches more often than a lizard changes its skin! anyway it is now fact that he fired Jose and there's talk that he may bring Paul back! :eek: i will confirm this ASAP.

also, he's skipping LA which means he'll drop 210 points. there is a good chance he will slip out of the top 20 this week ;) ;) on the other hand, for the next three weeks after LA -- Canada TMS, Cincy TMS, and Indy/ Wash -- he could pick up quite a few points bec out of those three weeks he only played Cincy last year, and there only made the 2nd round. after that, he has another 210 to defend in Long Island and 700 at the Open. his new coach has a daunting task ahead. :eek: :eek:

Dissident
07-21-2002, 04:15 AM
Bring Paul back? That would sound weird... :o
Anyway, LA skipped is gonna give him some problems. The upcoming weeks are gonna be a chance to get into the USOpen in condition to play good tennis.
And then lets see what happens...

REDACE
07-23-2002, 12:13 AM
what is so bad of changing coaches?

wraith
07-23-2002, 04:02 AM
Sorry, Pete is not clearly the best of all time. He is clearly the best fast-court player of all time. But, the fact that he can't win the big ones on the slowest surfaces indicates that he doesn't have the versatility of skill to win when he can't ride his serve. I'm not saying that all he has is a serve, but his serve is the foundation of his game. Take that away, and the rest of his game crumbles.

wraith
07-23-2002, 04:12 AM
Pete only has 120 points to defend this week. If your source for that stat was the one that I think it was, the source was incorrect. He also has 120 to defend in Long Island.

Becool
07-23-2002, 08:35 AM
He needs to change urgently of sports, not coach

the cat
07-23-2002, 08:45 PM
You're very welcome, TC! :)

tennischick
07-23-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by wraith
Pete only has 120 points to defend this week. If your source for that stat was the one that I think it was, the source was incorrect. He also has 120 to defend in Long Island.

was my source you Wraith? have you finally joined us? dare i hope? :eek: :eek:

tennischick
07-26-2002, 12:31 PM
just heard on CNN that Pete is about to be a father. i wonder how this fits in with his tennis plans? :eek:

warfreakbix
07-26-2002, 02:52 PM
I hope it motivates him, Sampras is the classiest player in recent years to grace the ATP circuit, let him decide when he wants to retire. He earned it!

tennischick
07-27-2002, 01:44 AM
Sampras searches for new coach

BY DARRYL RICHARDS
FOXSports.com

Jul. 20, 2002 2:47 a.m.

DALLAS — Pete Sampras, still licking his wounds from an embarrassing Wimbledon performance, is desperately searching for ways to reclaim the game that made him the Grand Slam king.
And while Sampras is the first to say that quest starts from within, he is also looking for a helping hand. Again.

Sampras confirmed he has parted ways with Jose Higueras, who coached him at the French Open and Wimbledon this year. Sampras made quick exits from both tournaments, failing to get past the second round in either event. But Sampras said bumbling around London and Paris like an aimless Chevy Chase in European Vacation did not cause him to look for his third coach this year.

"I was hoping to continue to work with Jose, but I needed somebody who could work with me more full time," said Sampras on Friday before playing Andy Roddick in an exhibition match at Moody Coliseum. It was his first public appearance on a court since a stunning second-round loss to George Bastl at Wimbledon.

Sampras is looking for his game and he is searching for the right mentor. He ended a six-year relationship with Paul Annacone in December and started the year working with Tom Gullikson at the Australian Open. Sampras reached the fourth round in Melbourne, losing to Marat Safin.

In his heart, Sampras says he still believes in his game. Although he hasn't won a tournament since winning his seventh Wimbledon title in 2000, Sampras has reached the last two U.S. Open finals. But he is searching for something to put him over the top.

A full-time coach may be the answer. Rumors are Sampras may go back to Annacone for the summer hardcourt season. It makes sense because there is familiarity and Sampras is a creature of habit. Annacone knows his game and frankly, with everything Sampras has accomplished, who is qualified to tell Sampras what to do on the court?

Sampras said regardless of who coaches him in the future, he is mostly responsible for turning around his game.

"This has been the most frustrating time in my career without question," Sampras said. "I've put in a lot of work and I have nothing to show for it. I'm going to have to do something I've never done before and have a comeback. I have the game and I want to do it. I feel like I can win a couple more majors."

Imagine telling Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky how to retool his game. Sampras, who turns 31 next month, may be in more need of tough love than anything else at this point in his career.

"He knows how to play," Gullikson said. "He has to remember what he did to get back to where he was. To me it's simple. It means having a positive attitude and playing aggressive tennis. He has to dictate the points again, he has to move forward."

Gullikson, whose late twin brother Tim coached Sampras early in his pro career, also made a compelling point. Sampras has to be true to himself. He is the player who has to get in shape. He is the one who has to be positive about his game.

"A player who is coming back has to be willing to seek the truth," Gullikson said. "Athletes don't always want to seek the truth. If he is willing to seek the honest truth, I think he is capable of winning again."

A Sampras comeback would rank among his greatest accomplishments. Most tennis players are ready to call it a career once they turn 30. Andre Agassi's geriatric success is a rare exception. Sampras would like to be another.

"My challenge is myself," Sampras said.

It's a formidable opponent.

Dissident
07-27-2002, 03:34 AM
If the reason of him to split with Higueras was that one (he needs someone to work with him full-time), it makes a lot of sense. I dont know who can help him, though, and if hes willing to be helped, but I hope so much he does. A coach can do a lot of stuff, but not miracles.
Its good that he knows he is the only challenge. The mental stuff is paying a big role here. :(

TheBoiledEgg
07-27-2002, 04:24 AM
Pete's now back with Annacone :rolleyes:

Dissident
07-27-2002, 06:36 AM
Yeah, I just read it. :)

Chloe le Bopper
07-27-2002, 06:56 AM
Becca, do you see someone out there capable of winning 13 grand slam titles? I didn't think so! Ten? Nope!

Capable of winning? Sure there is - Marat Safin is, Hewitt is, just to name two.

Both are all surface players, and Marat is the most talented on tour IMO, while Hewitt is consistent and has a strong will.

So um, YUP.

Chloe le Bopper
07-27-2002, 06:57 AM
Note I didnt say WOULD win (I"m not Ms Cleo), I said COULD win, which is what you asked.

OH yes, and again, YUP.

tennischick
07-28-2002, 03:34 PM
Friday, July 26

Sampras set to reunite with Annacone

ESPN.com news services

Pete Sampras, looking to regain his form, is turning to a familiar face for guidance. Paul Annacone, who worked with Sampras from 1995 to 2001, will once again be Sampras' coach.

Annacone, the USTA's managing director for the USA Tennis High-Performance program, confirmed to the Los Angeles Times on Thursday that he will resume coaching Sampras, at least through the U.S. Open.

Annacone told the newspaper he is encouraged by what he's seen. "I've watched him work out," he told the paper. "I don't think all of a sudden you can't play."

Sampras, who has won a record 13 Grand Slam singles titles, has not won a tournament since capturing Wimbledon in 2000. Since Annacone and Sampras parted the first time, Tom Gullikson and Jose Higueras have had a crack at coaching Sampras.

"It's been a lot of instability for someone who is a creature of habit," Annacone told the Times.

It would have taken a while for Sampras to become accustomed to another coach, and the U.S. Open looms in an month.

"Watch out for Pete at the Open," Andy Roddick, who played an exhibition against Sampras last week, told the Times. "We actually had a very good conversation. He basically just said, 'This year has been bad for me. But I'm looking forward to the new challenges, for the first time in my career I have to come back.' "

Dissident
07-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Its been a lot of instability and it will keep being. He still needs a comeback. And thats totally unknown territory for him. I hope Annacone can put the fire back in him. :)

Isanie
07-28-2002, 07:32 PM
it's not fair to treat the best player ever that way, yes he might be close to a retirement, but it wouldn't be better to say, "thank you Pete, for all the wonderful years of beutiful tennis" than saying "Your career is over Pete".

Dissident
07-31-2002, 12:11 AM
Paul Annacone is there with him right now, watching him play Wayne Ferreira.
Now I believe it. hehe ;)

tennischick
07-31-2002, 02:44 AM
yeah i saw Paul there, looking on somberly. Sampras looked so tentative at times and Annacone seemed a tad disinterested to me. and is it me or did the Lizard actually dye his hair a lighter color? :eek: :eek:

tennischick
08-01-2002, 02:18 AM
Sampras Helps Annacone's USTA

By Howard Fendrich
AP Tennis Writer
Wednesday, July 31, 2002; 5:58 PM

Pete Sampras hopes to resurrect his game by reuniting with coach Paul Annacone. And Annacone hopes the 13-time Grand Slam winner can help him develop the Samprases of the future.

Sampras has switched coaches for the third time in eight months, getting back together with Annacone, who guided him from 1995 until December.

The part-time arrangement starting this week at the $2.95 million Toronto Masters Series tournament includes Sampras' working with the U.S. Tennis Association High Performance program.

Annacone is the managing director of the program, which aims to nurture potential tennis stars.

"Pete's agreed to do a number of things to build our program, including practicing with some of our players," Annacone said by telephone Wednesday from Toronto. "For those guys to be in that environment around Pete is a great asset."

He said Sampras practiced recently with top college players from Duke and California.

Sampras is ranked 15th now – he hasn't finished a season out of the top 10 since 1989, his second year as a pro – and hasn't won a title since Wimbledon in 2000. That's a 30-tournament drought.

"We've had some heart-to-hearts," Sampras said, referring to Annacone. "He knows the things to say. We're a great team and I'm happy we're back together."

Sampras beat Wayne Ferreira 7-6 (6), 5-7, 6-4 Tuesday in the first round at the Toronto Masters Series event, a hard-court tuneup for the U.S. Open, which starts Aug. 26.

That improved Sampras' match record in 2002 to 18-14. He lost in the second round of Wimbledon in June and in the first round of the French Open in May.

He dumped Annacone as coach at the end of 2001 in favor of Tom Gullikson – the twin brother of Tim Gullikson, Sampras' former coach who died of cancer at age 44 in 1996.

In late February, Sampras dropped Tom Gullikson for Jose Higueras. Now he's teaming again with Annacone, Sampras' coach for eight of his record 13 major singles titles.

"He's just trying to get back on track as quickly as he can," Annacone said. "At the end of the year we can re-evaluate."

Annacone's USTA duties won't allow him to travel with Sampras all the time. The coach won't be at Sampras' next tournament, a Masters Series event in Cincinnati that starts Monday, for example.

"Pete needs some continuity and he needs a little bit of stability. Knowing each other as long as we have will be helpful in that regard," Annacone said. "He feels comfortable with me and trusts my analysis."

tennischick
08-08-2002, 03:00 PM
from his interview yesterday in Cincy after losing to Wayne

Q. Feeling a little more on the comfort zone with Paul back?

PETE SAMPRAS: Yeah, feel like I have some peace of mind with my coaching situation and he knows me better than anyone and there's a comfort level, he knows my game, my personality, and he knows what to say. I am glad we are working together.

OK, so does anyone know why he gave up Paul in the first place? it just occurred to me that i have no idea why they parted to begin with. :confused:

Slasher1985
11-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Wow, tennis after more than a decade.

This is a formidable window into the past.

I am in awe reading what everyone thought back then about Sampras, and that nobody ever would win 13 Grand Slam titles.

Tells us everything there is to know about the term GOAT.

jjc225
11-26-2013, 03:26 PM
There's always the senior tour. He's not actually thinking about coming back to the regular tour, is he? What a joke that would be. It would be as bad as Borg's failed comeback where he went something like 0-16. The senior tour is great, or occasionally playing doubles with current players such as that great Haitian Relief event where Federer/Sampras played doubles against Agassi/Nadal. That was some good shit.

Timot
11-26-2013, 03:47 PM
What's interesting about this thread is that people didn't believe that Pete could win another Slam after his serious drop in rankings. However, he did it by being just no.17 in the world.

Wonder if the same could be with Federer.

thrust
11-26-2013, 10:28 PM
What's interesting about this thread is that people didn't believe that Pete could win another Slam after his serious drop in rankings. However, he did it by being just no.17 in the world.

Wonder if the same could be with Federer.

It could, most likely at Wimbledon. Roger should skip the FO to prepare for Wimbledon, practicing on grass while the others knock themselves out on clay.

GSMnadal
11-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Capable of winning? Sure there is - Marat Safin is, Hewitt is, just to name two.

Both are all surface players, and Marat is the most talented on tour IMO, while Hewitt is consistent and has a strong will.

So um, YUP.

Lol

QuitYerWhining
11-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Friday, July 26
"Watch out for Pete at the Open," Andy Roddick, who played an exhibition against Sampras last week, told the Times.

:eek:

Rychu
11-26-2013, 11:18 PM
:eek:

Sampras had his last peak at the best time, I'll give him that :) Roddick even saw the signs at exho :lol:

Kowchi
11-26-2013, 11:41 PM
What does this thread teach us?

Don't count out Olderer.

GSMnadal
11-26-2013, 11:46 PM

Don't count out Olderer.

Olderer has a lot better competetion he has to go through if he wants his 'Sampras slam'.

IMO he already had his share of Sampras slams with RG 2009, Wimbledon 2009, 2012, AO 2010. He was done way before that but got lucky.

Cloren
11-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Olderer has a lot better competetion he has to go through if he wants his 'Sampras slam'.

IMO he already had his share of Sampras slams with RG 2009, Wimbledon 2009, 2012, AO 2010. He was done way before that but got lucky.

:spit:

Slasher1985
11-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Don't count out Olderer.

Actually, it teaches us that one cannot predict the next great. For instance, watch how nobody counted on Federer in 2002. Safin and Hewitt are mentioned, but not Federer. No matter how good a current GOAT is, one cannot say for sure, how good the next player will be, and yes, there will come players that make Federer and Nadal look like how Sampras looks to most right now.

Juz78
11-27-2013, 12:09 PM
There's always the senior tour. He's not actually thinking about coming back to the regular tour, is he? What a joke that would be. It would be as bad as Borg's failed comeback where he went something like 0-16. The senior tour is great, or occasionally playing doubles with current players such as that great Haitian Relief event where Federer/Sampras played doubles against Agassi/Nadal. That was some good shit.

You might want to check the date of the original post...

Slasher1985
11-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Ultimate tennis guru.:worship:

Lee
11-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Ultimate tennis guru.:worship:

the cat, tennischick and Chloe were legends on MTF those days ;) Or more precise atpworld

Pawcio765
11-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Wow I love things like this. A thread from 2002 - sooo cool :D

elpistolero7
11-27-2013, 05:51 PM
:spit:

Wimby 2012 and A0 2010 are actually 2 he deserved.

2009 regaining of number 1 and winning the channel slam were Vulture Frauderer at his vulturing best though.

RIboy
11-27-2013, 06:37 PM
desperate fedtards trying everything to convince them self that Frauderer can win another slam

castle007
11-28-2013, 04:32 AM

This is a joke, right? :o

Smoke944
11-28-2013, 05:22 AM
This is a joke, right? :o

GSMnadal posted it, so yes