Murray def Verdasco 7-6, 7-5, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray def Verdasco 7-6, 7-5, 6-4

Allez
01-18-2007, 05:50 AM
Not the prettiest match I've ever seen, but Murray comes through. What a nervy last game ;) Verdasco still has a lot to learn. Goes for too much almost always. :rolleyes:
Chela's next :eek: :eek: :eek:

betterthanhenman
01-18-2007, 05:50 AM
Shocking, shocking, shocking, shockingly woeful tennis throughout....

6 breaks of serve in the first set with Verdasco up a break on three occasions, each time gifting it back to Murray. Then followed one of the poorest tie-breaks you could ever see.

In the second set, Verdasco was up a break again and serving himself at 30-0when he shanked forehand after forehand, before giving the game away with a lame double-fault.

The third provided the 'best' tennis of the match, but the word best truly should NOT be used to describe any aspect of this debacle.

Verdasco hit so many unforced errors throughout it was hard to believe. The travesty of Verdasco even being in the second round was magnificently illustrated here. The man is beyond stupid and inept. How a professional can consistently be so poor on every point that really matters is bewildering.

And Murray, well he did pretty much nothing that was good....he was just marginally less bad than the joke Verdasco, The serve was woeful, the backhand incredibly erratic and his attitude poor. Stop whining like a bitch and crying to Brad every few seconds when you miss a shot. It merely serves to make you look like a twat!

In summary, more sympathy for PHM!

J_Johansson
01-18-2007, 05:53 AM
And the bad man is *snap* done.

scoobs
Tough match, BAD tennis for stretches from both men.

Same court, different Spaniard, same result, but he got there compared to how he won on Tuesday could not have been more different.

Verdasco obligingly choked when serving for the first set, and when a break up in the second set and then blew his chances to level up in the third. By rights, they should still be out there and Verdasco should have 1 set at least.

hey ho - he won ugly and today he needed to, he could not get his best tennis going. at least he got the win.

Rogiman
Verdasco could play himself and still lose, his shots hardly ever land in the court....

Murray needs to buy a 1st serve, and a new set of teeth.

KaxMisha
01-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Verdasco hit so many unforced errors throughout it was hard to believe. The travesty of Verdasco even being in the second round was magnificently illustrated here. The man is beyond stupid and inept. How a professional can consistently be so poor on every point that really matters is bewildering.

I couldn't agree more. This befuddles me, really, as Verdasco has an absolute incredible forehand, great footwork, solid returns and a stable backhand. He should have achieved much more than he has with the potential of his game. He certainly should have been up 2-0 in this match.

tripb19
01-18-2007, 05:54 AM
I have no time for Mr Murray. He's got Hewitt syndrome.

Deivid23
01-18-2007, 05:55 AM
Probably the worst match concerning attitude and brainfarts I´ve ever witnessed from Verdasco. His career is going nowhere fast :help:

scoobs
01-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Yep I have to be honest - Murray had an awful lot of help there because he played two pretty miserable sets and should really have won neither. Nando really gave him the 2 set lead and then couldn't get it back.

Deivid23
01-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Verdasco obligingly choked when serving for the first set, and when a break up in the second set and then blew his chances to level up in the third. By rights, they should still be out there and Verdasco should have 1 set at least.

You´re being too generous

Deivid23
01-18-2007, 05:58 AM
Yep I have to be honest - Murray had an awful lot of help there because he played two pretty miserable sets and should really have won neither. Nando really gave him the 2 set lead and then couldn't get it back.

That´s more realistic :lol:

leng jai
01-18-2007, 06:00 AM
I'm pretty sure he needs to break more times than he himself serves. That would explain why it is impossible for him to win a set.

Lullaby
01-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Us british never excel in sports when it is hot lol!

scoobs
01-18-2007, 06:13 AM
He won - that's what matters - this time last year he would never have won a match that was such a struggle.

Neither he nor Verdasco played very well and the win was up for grabs. Both men had their chances, in the end Murray was able to take his and Verdasco let far too many go.

Merton
01-18-2007, 06:17 AM
That was a terrible performance from Nando, Murray won in a very ugly match.

scoobs
01-18-2007, 06:19 AM
i can't believe i stayed up for that crock of shit, though :lol:

betterthanhenman
01-18-2007, 06:20 AM

I actually didn't care who won. I just wanted someone to play some tennis that justified me watching it.

Henry Chinaski
01-18-2007, 06:20 AM
verdasco requiring treatment for kicking an advertising board in frustration pretty much sums his match up.

*Ljubica*
01-18-2007, 06:36 AM

I am no way a fan of Hewitt but Murray is far worse than he ever was :rolleyes: I don't deny Murray's a good player but I have no time for his swearing, shouting and obnoxious behaviour either. I truly detest him

Deivid23
01-18-2007, 06:39 AM
I have no time for his swearing, shouting and obnoxious behaviour either.

Ferrer swears and shouts as hell, double standard rules!

betterthanhenman
01-18-2007, 06:40 AM
I am no way a fan of Hewitt but Murray is far worse than he ever was :rolleyes: I don't deny Murray's a good player but I have no time for his swearing, shouting and obnoxious behaviour either. I truly detest him

Agreed. Hewitt's behaviour is much better than Murray's. And being with Gilbert is only going to make him an even bigger idiot I fear.

Allez
Me neither :mad: :mad: :mad: Just atrocious all around :rolleyes: I hope Murray gets his ass into gear for the Chela re-match. Chela can be an annoying chap and is pretty tenacious in the heat as well. Doesn't take a lot to frustrate Murray ;)

Clara Bow
This match was ugly. Verdasco has the shots but then goes and makes goofy errors. Ugh.... I would have rather had been able to see the Tursunov/Max match which sounded like it was a very clean match and was going on for part of the time of this one.

And ESPN has a new crush and its name is Andy Murray. They lurve him deep and true.

vincayou
01-18-2007, 07:32 AM
On a side note, Verdasco went with PHM to the hospital after their match and stayed there until 3.30am (PHM told him he had to sleep to prepare his second round)!

A nice guy this Verdasco.

Horatio Caine
01-18-2007, 07:37 AM
On a side note, Verdasco went with PHM to the hospital after their match and stayed there until 3.30am (PHM told him he had to sleep to prepare his second round)!

A nice guy this Verdasco.

Is that true? :eek:

vincayou
01-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Is that true? :eek:

PHM interview today in L'Equipe.

Clara Bow
01-18-2007, 07:48 AM

Wow- really nice of Nando!

Horatio Caine
01-18-2007, 07:49 AM

Wow. Very generous of him! :D

Apemant
01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
I didn't watch the whole match (being half-asleep early in the morning :) ) but I didn't get the impression it was THAT bad. Sure, Verdasco blew so many chances, but he is always like that. Either hits a spectacular winner or makes an abysmal UE. Looking at the stats it also doesn't seem that bad, Verdasco had 47 winners and 49 UEs while Andy had 30 winners and just 19 UEs. I'm pretty sure I can find a dozen matches already with much worse stats than that.

bad gambler
01-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Quite easily the worst match of the tournament

adee-gee
01-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Woeful match, Verdasco was very poor and Andy couldn't serve and was being far too passive. Painful to watch.

I suppose it's out the way at least, and now he has a chance for sweet revenge against Chela. Although on that display, I wouldn't race to put any money on it.

james_olympicman
01-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, not only did this match start an hour and a half later than expected, but it was slow, poor quality and Murray played crap. Saying that I fell asleep soon after the start, caufght the end of the 1st set before deciding that there was no way this poor level would keep me awake and went to bed. Blake was good though.

LK_22
01-18-2007, 01:17 PM

How many sets has Murray dropped again?

adee-gee
01-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I liked the Scottish crew :cool:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070118/capt.sge.jho73.180107112015.photo01.photo.default-512x325.jpg

Regenbogen
01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Dreadful match :unsure:

Oh well, at least Murray got through :D

Shrinking Violet
01-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Well done Andy on getting through a match against a a guy who could have caused him problems and getting into the third round without dropping a set. :)

Andy played the worst match I've seen him play in a while and he still won in straights. Verdasco really needs to take a look at himself.

I wish Andy would find himself a first serve - what was his first serve percentage at? Something like 55% - that is pathetic (although not half as pathetic as the guy who can't win a set off someone serving that poorly.) With the returning game he's got if he could get even a halfway decent consistant serve he could do even more damage.

Ah well, he got through and he didn't drop a set (somehow) so that's all that matters. It'll be a tougher match against Chela so hopefully he turns the performance up a little for that one.

jazar
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
fernando :sad: soo much talent, when is he going to step it up and use it.

Blue Heart24
01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Verdasco will be in the top 5 in 2007....

that is top 5 chokers.
how many breaks does he need to win a set...6?

:haha:

Merton
01-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Woeful match, Verdasco was very poor and Andy couldn't serve and was being far too passive. Painful to watch.

I suppose it's out the way at least, and now he has a chance for sweet revenge against Chela. Although on that display, I wouldn't race to put any money on it.

Personally, I would consider putting some money the other way ;)

yana
01-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Silly PHM, if Nando wants to stay and cuddle I wouldn't kick him out. :rolleyes: :angel: Seriously though, that is really kind of him. :awww:

Nando is such a sweety. :hug: To bad the beast beat him.

+alonso
01-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Bleeeeeeh! :retard:

Fer was up 4-1 in the second set and still managed to lose it, and Murray wasn't even trying to reach some balls in the second set :o

+alonso
01-18-2007, 06:03 PM
If Murray plays like this against Chela, Chela will win for sure

jazar
01-18-2007, 07:13 PM
according to annabel croft of eurosport:

Verdasco just wasn't consistent enough and maybe suffered from Murray’s aura.

just what aura is that she was talking about? :confused:

Raquel
01-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I liked the Scottish crew :cool:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070118/capt.sge.jho73.180107112015.photo01.photo.default-512x325.jpg

:worship:!!! :bounce:

Well done Andy ;)

Verdasco's bad performance is no surprise. I've always thought he was overrated.