Well Done Michael Russell [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Well Done Michael Russell

aussie12
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
It was a great performance by russell in the first two sets but his best performance came after the match. With many people wanting lleytons autograph and waiting past 1 o'clock in the morning including alot of young kids, lleyton walked to the entrance where they usually sign alot of autographs, signed one and left. russell on the other hand waited around made sure he signed all the kids (who were dissapointed about lleyton) balls and chatted to them. At one point a Dad said sorry to keep him behind and he said 'its alright, it wouldnt be a sport withouth the fans'. he stayed till everyone got an autograph and the stadium was empty. well done michael russell, you are a great example and great in promoting tennis, its just sad that an american treats the australian crowd with more respect than hewitt does.

jole
01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
You are so correct.

The word classy is often overused, but this is something Michael is. I know this from several personal experiences.

scoobs
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Shame Hewitt couldn't demonstrate a bit more class - it was pretty much only the crowd that helped pull him through that match.

Anywhere else and I think he'd have gone down in 3 sets.

TMJordan
01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
No more Michael Russell threads, someone will think you are a bandwagon hopper because you dont post in his forum. :rolleyes:

Good effort Mike :yeah:

jole
01-17-2007, 10:56 PM
Shame Hewitt couldn't demonstrate a bit more class - it was pretty much only the crowd that helped pull him through that match.

Anywhere else and I think he'd have gone down in 3 sets.

He is so used to being selfish it probably didn't even occur to him what happened.

betterthanhenman
01-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Russell was class during the match too.

At one point, Hewitt missed a shot after his preceding shot had been very close to the line. Russell stopped more or less thinking the previous shot was out but he did not challenge the call. When Hewitt missed his next shot, he spoke to the umpire and the umpire decided that Russell wanted to challenge the call (which he didn't). As a result, Russell lost the point and if I remember correctly it came at an important stage in the match. And, he just accepted it with a smile.

Bravo Russell, but less time in the gymnasium nowand more at the hairdresser's!

jayjay
01-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Bravo Russell, but less time in the gymnasium nowand more at the hairdresser's!

:lol:

cobalt60
01-17-2007, 11:29 PM
I have also told by a few that he is one class act. You just cemented this for me. Thanks.