Can the hawkeye system be wrong? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can the hawkeye system be wrong?

Stevens Point
01-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry, if this has been discussed before.

During the Mauresmo's 2nd round match today, a challenge against a call by a linesperson was made, and the hawkeye graphic showed the ball was slightly out, but the it said "IN". There was a tiny but a clear space between the ball mark and the line. The umpire's decision was "IN". The commentators were also surprised by that and finding that ridiculous.

There are sometimes moments when I see the hawkeye graphic and think "hey, was the ball that much out!? It didn't look like so.." Sometimes commentators say the same thing. I don't remember in which match, but Eurosport commentators said today something like, "that wasn't that out, was it?"

I remember, during the Masters Cup last year Nalbandian insisted that the ball mark was out, while the hawkeye showed the ball was in.

Has anyone thought about the possibility that Hawkeye can be wrong sometimes??

Black Adam
01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
There is supposedely a 3mm error in everycase so when the ball touches the line by a mm it might as well be wrong.

A_Skywalker
01-17-2007, 09:00 PM
I've seen a matches , (I dont remember the tournament) where visualy the ball is out with 2-3 sms , but the player challenged and it showed it is well inside and it happened many times , even the commentator was saying something is wrong with the haw eye , may be it wasnt tuned well ...

Jogy
01-17-2007, 09:07 PM
of course it has error, like eyes of umpire, but is more unbiased and not afraid of big names like Federer and calls it the same for all at any time
Agree that sometimes balls look closer than Hawk Eye shows or other way.
And no eye of a umpire can make right call on this shot of Mauresmo match, they can only guess and be right or wrong.

I seen that pictures of this Mauresmo match is posted few threads under this one, see this thread!

neenah
01-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Sometimes it is impossible to really tell whether a ball was in or out. There are always those points where HawkEye shows the ball in but with the smallest of the smallest small fractions of the ball touching the line. No one knows for sure with shots like that.

Ernham
01-17-2007, 09:28 PM
That "error" looked more like a display error. Usually the ball "mark" has "tail" to it, to show that it actually hits and slights for a short bit. The tail was missing on that ball. Their graphics display program/whatever they use just didn't show it, it looked like.