Andre guest commentating for ESPN [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andre guest commentating for ESPN

cmurray
01-17-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm such a dork. I'm always nervous when I create new threads ( I think this is maybe my 4th ever new topic).

Anyway, Andre called in from Vegas to do a quick spot of commentating for the Roddick/Gicquel match. And I have to say, he did a pretty good job. Too bad espn can't hire HIM to work for them. He doesn't pull any punches, and unlike PMac, he actually knows what he's talking about.

FluffyYellowBall
01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
As long as u dont start a thread containing nadal and federer in the same scentence then ur not a dork! ;)

gillian
01-17-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd love it if Andre did commentary semi-regularly.

cmurray
01-17-2007, 09:38 PM
I'd love it if Andre did commentary semi-regularly.

Me too. The guy is SO smart about tennis. Very eloquent and he doesn't talk out of his ass.

I guarantee if Andre ever started commentating, ratings for tennis matches would go up.

Fumus
01-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Andre will probably do commentary for some the US events. You can bet on that. I have heard him in the studio before and he breaks matches down like no other.

cmurray
01-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Andre will probably do commentary for some the US events. You can bet on that. I have heard him in the studio before and he breaks matches down like no other.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed, trust me. He just has this instinctive understanding of tennis, and he's a contemporary of most of these guys, so when HE talks about the way a guy plays, you pay attention.

Kalliopeia
01-17-2007, 10:18 PM
I was chatting with a friend while we waited (in vain) for them to stop talking and show some live tennis and we both said the same thing. Andre would be a fantastic commentator and I'd love for him to get in there and shame Patrick McEnroe into shutting up. Come on, Andre, do it for us. :)

NicoFan
01-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm such a dork. I'm always nervous when I create new threads ( I think this is maybe my 4th ever new topic).

Anyway, Andre called in from Vegas to do a quick spot of commentating for the Roddick/Gicquel match. And I have to say, he did a pretty good job. Too bad espn can't hire HIM to work for them. He doesn't pull any punches, and unlike PMac, he actually knows what he's talking about.

I thought he was excellent last night. He doesn't pull any punches. And I thought what he said about the American players today was quite on target.

I so miss the attitude of former American players. :bigcry:

:lol:

Allure
01-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I was watching ESPN2 today at 12:00 and Roger Federer was there talking about the heat at the AO. And the commentators asked Andre what he think about the subject and he said it's not about who's the best but who's the better prepared man on that day. And if one person can't take it they have to give it up (give credit) to the other player for being able to take the heat. I thought he was very eloquent and knowledgable.:)

guga2120
01-17-2007, 11:25 PM
It would be hard to listen to Cliff and PMac, after Andre comments on a match. Put him and John Mcenroe in the booth, that would help tennis in America alot on TV, b/c both of those guys are real, and know what there talking about.

Ever hear Mary Carillo, :( , she is awful, you have to put in on Mute if she talks.

NicoFan
01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
It would be hard to listen to Cliff and PMac, after Andre comments on a match. Put him and John Mcenroe in the booth, that would help tennis in America alot on TV, b/c both of those guys are real, and know what there talking about.

Ever hear Mary Carillo, :( , she is awful, you have to put in on Mute if she talks.

Totally agree - Cliff is a sweetie but he's not going to draw fans in. And Pat Mac is a mean mean man. :sad:

Johnny Mac is so knowledgable and Andre is as someone said completely eloquent - and both are most importantly, "real". What an awesome team. :yeah:

cmurray
01-18-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the goodrep, NicoFan. I tried to goodrep you back, but I have to spread some reputation around first. :(

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but it seemed like Andre was kind of....missing tennis. I think he WANTED to talk about Andy's match.

And I don't mean to derail my own thread (then again, I do it to everyone else's, why not mine?), but it just occured to me that Rafa should go train with Andre. I know it sounds weird, but think about it...all of the stuff that Andre was the best at - his amazing return game, taking the ball on the rise...if Rafa could learn to do even a little of what Andre could, he'd be.....pretty tough to beat.

Yappa
01-18-2007, 02:11 AM
Are the ESPN commentators in Melbourne or are they doing the work from the US? And was Agassi in some kind of studio (if yes, pics please) or could you only hear him?

Deboogle!.
01-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Are the ESPN commentators in Melbourne or are they doing the work from the US? And was Agassi in some kind of studio (if yes, pics please) or could you only hear him?They're actually in Australia. Andre was live via satellite from Vegas, and you could see him. He looked.. well, the same :lol: his feed of Andy's match in the monitor they had for him was a few seconds delayed and he was frustrated. he really wanted to do the play-by-play. he'd be an unbelievable commentator.

cmurray
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM
Are the ESPN commentators in Melbourne or are they doing the work from the US? And was Agassi in some kind of studio (if yes, pics please) or could you only hear him?

Yes, espn reports directly from Melbourne. They set up a camera in Vegas for Andre...and yes they had a video feed. Andre looked good. :) He's still wearing his "daddy rocks" necklace. Gotta love that. ;)

cmurray
01-18-2007, 02:38 AM
They're actually in Australia. Andre was live via satellite from Vegas, and you could see him. He looked.. well, the same :lol: his feed of Andy's match in the monitor they had for him was a few seconds delayed and he was frustrated. he really wanted to do the play-by-play. he'd be an unbelievable commentator.

No kidding. He'd put all other commentators to shame. I don't know if any of you knew or watched Andre back in the day, but I did. I've watched him nearly from the beginning. If you'd told me then that he would be an accomplished student of the game, I'd have laughed at you. I remember him spitting on umpires, insulting opponents - everything. To see what he's become is just....amazing to me.

Deboogle!.
01-18-2007, 02:41 AM
:topic:

tonight they're gonna talk to Pete :inlove:

Gonzo Hates Me!
01-18-2007, 02:46 AM
:topic:

tonight they're gonna talk to Pete :inlove:

woah! are you serious Deb C? I love Pete... I am a Pete girl. Even though people think he's boring, I'd be more excited to see him than Andre.

Andre seemed so concerned with the best interest of the fans. Good PR skills Andre, good PR. I didn't like when Andre and Federer were both together because it seemed like Roger was backhanded complimenting him, so some things Federer said came off as rude towards Andre IMO

*waiting for the gauntlet*

cmurray
01-18-2007, 02:53 AM
woah! are you serious Deb C? I love Pete... I am a Pete girl. Even though people think he's boring, I'd be more excited to see him than Andre.

Andre seemed so concerned with the best interest of the fans. Good PR skills Andre, good PR. I didn't like when Andre and Federer were both together because it seemed like Roger was backhanded complimenting him, so some things Federer said came off as rude towards Andre IMO

That's just what Roger does, Gonzo Hates Me! (funny name, BTW). I've stopped trying to figure out if it's intentional or not.... :confused:

Deboogle!.
01-18-2007, 02:54 AM
He's on right now, Nwando... in fact he's about to get off the phone.. love that guy!

Pete's gone now :(

Bagelicious
01-18-2007, 02:55 AM

Keep waiting... I'm more concerned about why MisterQ hasn't shown up in a thread about Agassi. :eek:

I wish I'd heard him, I have no doubt that his commentary was interesting, intelligent and spot on. Even reading some of his press conferences you can see that not only does he have a good understanding of what/why things happened in a match, he's very good at explaining it.

Gonzo Hates Me!
01-18-2007, 02:56 AM
That's just what Roger does, Gonzo Hates Me! (funny name, BTW). I've stopped trying to figure out if it's intentional or not.... :confused:

OMG!! Someone else sees it!! Sometimes I hold my breath when I *critique* Roger b/c I am scared of the gauntlet! I really would like to get in his head and find out if it's intentional or not too. LOL!

cmurray
01-18-2007, 02:58 AM
He's on right now, Nwando... in fact he's about to get off the phone.. love that guy!

Pete's gone now :(

I like how he skated around the whole "Federer/Sampras" thing. hahahaha.

I didn't like petey at the time, but I'm nostalgic now. sigh. I miss Pete and Andre. :sad: :sad:

what's funny though is that after all this time, Andre still communicates better than Pete. I love that about them.

bluefork
01-18-2007, 03:01 AM
what's funny though is that after all this time, Andre still communicates better than Pete. I love that about them.

Pete's just a simple, down-to-earth kind of guy. When he talks, I don't think he tries to be anything more than that. Personally, I get a little sick hearing Andre Agassi's platitudes.

cmurray
01-18-2007, 03:07 AM
Pete's just a simple, down-to-earth kind of guy. When he talks, I don't think he tries to be anything more than that. Personally, I get a little sick hearing Andre Agassi's platitudes.

Understandable. I like them both. Pete IS simple. It is what I like about him. And Andre is a masterful communicator. I love to listen to him. He doesn't allow the press to push him around. He answers questions the way HE wants to. But sometimes it makes one skeptical to listen to somebody who always says the right things - because you wonder if everything they say is calculated.

All that being said, Andre really IS a good communicator. And he knows tennis inside and out. He'd be an excellent commentator.